It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 7:59 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 537 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18  Next
 Post subject: Re: Kaepernick
PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2016 4:02 pm 

pizza_Place: Lina's Pizza
Boilermaker Rick wrote:
leashyourkids wrote:
You must have good genetics. I can think of like five off the top of my head.
I don't think that having "no pride" in something is the casual complaint that you and others seem to think it is. I would think if I told a family member I had "no pride" in them that they would be pretty devastated. I don't think they'd say "Well, I need to make a small adjustment".

America should be devestated.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2016 4:06 pm 

pizza_Place: Pizza Cucina
Boilermaker Rick wrote:
leashyourkids wrote:
I don't think that having "no pride" in something is the casual complaint that you and others seem to think it is. I would think if I told a family member I had "no pride" in them that they would be pretty devastated. I don't think they'd say "Well, I need to make a small adjustment".

I'm sure there's more context to it. There would be follow-ups needed. Such as "pride ever or just now?"

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2016 4:07 pm 

pizza_Place: Lou Malnatis
Don't worry Rick, regardless of what I and others think, you're in good company!

Quote:
Donald Trump and Boilermaker Rick On Colin Kaepernick: "Maybe He Should Find A Country That Works Better For Him"
Barry Petchesky

What you are about to hear represents an utterly monumental lack of self-awareness on Donald Trump’s part—astonishing, I know.

Trump appeared on Dori Monson’s show on KIRO radio in Seattle this afternoon, and was asked about 49ers QB Colin Kaepernick’s decision not to stand for the National Anthem as a protest against racial oppression, police brutality, and all-around inequality in the United States. His answer:

“Well I have followed [the Kaepernick story], and I think it’s personally not a good thing. I think it’s a terrible thing. And you know, maybe he should find a country that works better for him, let him try, it won’t happen.”

Trump’s entire campaign is based around the idea that America is stumbling, or broken, or fundamentally subpar in some way—“Make America great again” and all that. His response to someone else who believes America needs to fix things is to tell him to look for another country. Incredible.

I’m reminded that “if you don’t like it, get out” was a common rejoinder to political protests of the Bush era—as if America were perfect, and supporting it means never acknowledging its faults, and if you want to call attention to its shortcomings and work to make it better, you must not truly love it. That refrain seemed to have thankfully disappeared from top-level political discourse. God bless Donald Trump for never failing to disappoint with the takes.

To rock my soul

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2016 4:10 pm 

pizza_Place: Clamburger's
:lol: :lol: :lol:

This fucking guy is crazy!

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2016 4:11 pm 

pizza_Place: Aurelio's
FavreFan wrote:
[i]August 29, 2016, 01:47 pm
Kaepernick picked right fight in 'Star-Spangled Banner' beef
By Chuck Hobbs, contributor

Due to God's gift of curiosity, I have a rather extensive knowledge of American history and often write about the subject in my articles and blogs.

But the Colin Kaepernick "Star-Spangled Banner" controversy — one in which the embattled San Francisco 49ers quarterback has been blasted by internet trolls and racists ever since he chose to sit as the national anthem was played before his team's preseason game against the Green Bay Packers — compelled me to do some research, where I have learned the racist origins of that very song.
Consider these facts about Francis Scott Key, author of the national anthem:

If someone is going to get into the racism of the Star-Spangled Banner, at what point do they acknowledge that the Democrat party historically was the party of the Ku Klux Klan?

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2016 4:14 pm 

Drake LaRrieta wrote:
FavreFan wrote:
[i]August 29, 2016, 01:47 pm
Kaepernick picked right fight in 'Star-Spangled Banner' beef
By Chuck Hobbs, contributor

Due to God's gift of curiosity, I have a rather extensive knowledge of American history and often write about the subject in my articles and blogs.

But the Colin Kaepernick "Star-Spangled Banner" controversy — one in which the embattled San Francisco 49ers quarterback has been blasted by internet trolls and racists ever since he chose to sit as the national anthem was played before his team's preseason game against the Green Bay Packers — compelled me to do some research, where I have learned the racist origins of that very song.
Consider these facts about Francis Scott Key, author of the national anthem:

If someone is going to get into the racism of the Star-Spangled Banner, at what point do they acknowledge that the Democrat party historically was the party of the Ku Klux Klan?

Who's talking republicans and democrats?

Last edited by Jbi11s on Mon Aug 29, 2016 4:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

leashyourkids wrote:
Boilermaker Rick wrote:
leashyourkids wrote:

I'm sure there's more context to it. There would be follow-ups needed. Such as "pride ever or just now?"
Well, maybe Kaepernick should have provided more context too.

Boilermaker Rick wrote:
leashyourkids wrote:
Boilermaker Rick wrote:
leashyourkids wrote:

Hasn't he made a few statements clarifying his intentions?

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2016 4:15 pm 

pizza_Place: Aurelios
FavreFan wrote:
Don't worry Rick, regardless of what I and others think, you're in good company!

Quote:
Donald Trump and Boilermaker Rick On Colin Kaepernick: "Maybe He Should Find A Country That Works Better For Him"
Barry Petchesky

What you are about to hear represents an utterly monumental lack of self-awareness on Donald Trump’s part—astonishing, I know.

Trump appeared on Dori Monson’s show on KIRO radio in Seattle this afternoon, and was asked about 49ers QB Colin Kaepernick’s decision not to stand for the National Anthem as a protest against racial oppression, police brutality, and all-around inequality in the United States. His answer:

“Well I have followed [the Kaepernick story], and I think it’s personally not a good thing. I think it’s a terrible thing. And you know, maybe he should find a country that works better for him, let him try, it won’t happen.”

Trump’s entire campaign is based around the idea that America is stumbling, or broken, or fundamentally subpar in some way—“Make America great again” and all that. His response to someone else who believes America needs to fix things is to tell him to look for another country. Incredible.

I’m reminded that “if you don’t like it, get out” was a common rejoinder to political protests of the Bush era—as if America were perfect, and supporting it means never acknowledging its faults, and if you want to call attention to its shortcomings and work to make it better, you must not truly love it. That refrain seemed to have thankfully disappeared from top-level political discourse. God bless Donald Trump for never failing to disappoint with the takes.

Who is advising him? This is a perfect opportunity to embrace his outrage. Especially since CK said that Hillary is a criminal... It writes itself. His campaign cant be real...

"I don't agree with CK sitting during our anthem but he's right about something needing to change in this country! Nothing has changed for the last 8 years. I'm going to make it change. I'm going to help the African American community. Crooked Hillary doesn't want to do that. I'm going to make American great again for everyone!"

Steak dinner boom.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2016 4:15 pm 

Boilermaker Rick wrote:
leashyourkids wrote:
Boilermaker Rick wrote:
leashyourkids wrote:

He has.

To rock my soul

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2016 4:16 pm 

Jbi11s wrote:
Why are you asking me? I wouldn't want to offend you with my posting style.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2016 4:17 pm 

Boilermaker Rick wrote:
Jbi11s wrote:

I'm not offended. You just play dumb so well. You're one of the better posters, but you know what you're doing with the endless circles of debate.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2016 4:19 pm 

Jbi11s wrote:
Boilermaker Rick wrote:
Jbi11s wrote:

I'm not offended. You just play dumb so well. You're one of the better posters, but you know what you're doing with the endless circles of debate.
Well I won't subject you to it then.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2016 4:20 pm 

Boilermaker Rick wrote:
Jbi11s wrote:
Boilermaker Rick wrote:
Jbi11s wrote:

Well I won't subject you to it then.

Don't be sad Brick. Debate is a neccesity for the pulse of any message board.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2016 4:22 pm 

I'm happy. I'm actually happy to live in this country! No need to look at international real estate!

Last edited by Brick on Mon Aug 29, 2016 4:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2016 4:22 pm 

Jbi11s wrote:
Drake LaRrieta wrote:

Generally speaking it's people like Obama and his wife who think it is this terrible place when they talk about the slaves building the White House. The people like Jesse Jackson and Al Sharpton are always race baiting people into getting all worked up about something someone said or did. The Democrats cannot ever stop talking about slavery and oppression of blacks. It's like their calling card.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2016 4:23 pm 

Drake LaRrieta wrote:
Jbi11s wrote:
Drake LaRrieta wrote:

Generally speaking it's people like Obama and his wife who think it is this terrible place when they talk about the slaves building the White House. The people like Jesse Jackson and Al Sharpton are always race baiting people into getting all worked up about something someone said or did. The Democrats cannot ever stop talking about slavery and oppression of blacks. It's like their calling card.

Dude, shut the fuck up with that shit.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2016 4:23 pm 

Drake LaRrieta wrote:
Jbi11s wrote:
Drake LaRrieta wrote:

Seems like you're the only one race baiting around here. Thursdays at 5, son.

To rock my soul

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2016 4:24 pm 

Drake LaRrieta wrote:
Jbi11s wrote:
Drake LaRrieta wrote:

You're living in a country where they elected a president with no experience based on his skin color.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2016 4:28 pm 

Drake LaRrieta wrote:
Drake LaRrieta wrote:
Jbi11s wrote:
Drake LaRrieta wrote:

You're living in a country where they elected a president with no experience based on his skin color.
If you don't like it move.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2016 4:30 pm 

pizza_Place: Aurelios
Drake LaRrieta wrote:
Drake LaRrieta wrote:
Jbi11s wrote:
Drake LaRrieta wrote:

Yeah they only voted for Eisenhower because he was white and he never was in congress or a governor... Crazy right??

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2016 4:34 pm 

pizza_Place: Giordano's
Hank Scorpio wrote:
So, it is clear that Francis Scott Key, author of "The Star-Spangled Banner" and a man whom I and countless other Americans of all races were brainwashed into believing was a hero, was nothing of the sort; he was a slaveholding racist.

Has anyone in the history of the United States thought of Francis Scott Key as a hero?? He wrote some lyrics to the tune of an old irish drinking ballad. He's a trivia answer, not a hero... No one thinks otherwise.

I just want to know why people hold historical figures from the slavery era to post-Civil Rights Movement moral standards? Hell, even abolitionists weren't totally on board with black suffrage until 1870, and even then they were some of the originators and promulgators of segregation in the North during and post-Reconstruction. By today's standards, the morals of a pre-Reconstruction abolitionist were beyond even virulent racism, yet they are contrasted as heroes in the modern age.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2016 4:36 pm 

Juice's Lecture Notes wrote:
I just want to know why people hold historical figures from the slavery era to post-Civil Rights Movement moral standards?

By today's standards, the morals of a pre-Reconstruction abolitionist were beyond even virulent racism, yet they are contrasted as heroes in the modern age.

Your last sentence seems to refute your original question.

To rock my soul

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2016 4:44 pm 

badrogue17 wrote:
I look forward to the building of the Colin Kaepernick Vocational and Technical Center where the focus is on getting inner city yute skilled training in those underserved careers while also putting his celebrity influence to work pressuring local businesses to hire the ones who complete the program. Then he can build the Kaepernick Police Re-Education Complex focusing on getting problem officers the proper training they need to deal with minorities.

Great ideas there.

Like this
http://www.commongroundfoundation.org

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2016 4:46 pm 

pizza_Place: Giordano's
FavreFan wrote:
Juice's Lecture Notes wrote:
I just want to know why people hold historical figures from the slavery era to post-Civil Rights Movement moral standards?

By today's standards, the morals of a pre-Reconstruction abolitionist were beyond even virulent racism, yet they are contrasted as heroes in the modern age.

Your last sentence seems to refute your original question.

Ah my meaning was unclear. I meant: why do they hold figures with slave-owning or -trading ties to modern moral standards, but interestingly enough not those that called for abolition?

People flock to discount the worth or import of slave-owning historical figures by pointing out an apparent hypocrisy, while completely failing to note they are criticizing those historical figures for not holding values that few at all (any?) seemed to hold at the time.

Last edited by Juice's Lecture Notes on Mon Aug 29, 2016 4:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2016 4:46 pm 

FavreFan wrote:
Another irony of this "controversy" is that a lot of Trump supporters are telling a rich guy to leave the country because that rich guy is too critical of it.

While literally wearing a hat that says America is not great

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2016 4:50 pm 

pizza_Place: Frozen
rogers park bryan wrote:
FavreFan wrote:
Another irony of this "controversy" is that a lot of Trump supporters are telling a rich guy to leave the country because that rich guy is too critical of it.

While literally wearing a hat that says America is not great

"I know more about the West Coast Offense than Bill Walsh does. Believe me. BELIEVE ME."

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2016 5:39 pm 

Boilermaker Rick wrote:
Unless that you'd find similar shame in just about any country and therefore his "no pride" vote for the United States is stupid.

This was the whole point. Took a long time to get there

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2016 5:41 pm 

rogers park bryan wrote:
Boilermaker Rick wrote:
Unless that you'd find similar shame in just about any country and therefore his "no pride" vote for the United States is stupid.

So you think kaep is being stupid?

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2016 5:43 pm 

Boilermaker Rick wrote:
rogers park bryan wrote:
Boilermaker Rick wrote:

So you think kaep is being stupid?

No. I don't agree. I'm just saying this was your endpoint.

I think he's dumb when he kisses his bicep though.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 537 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18  Next