It is currently Wed May 01, 2024 9:30 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 537 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15 ... 18  Next
 Post subject: Re: Kaepernick
PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2016 12:34 pm 
Site Admin

pizza_Place: Aurelio's
Drake LaRrieta wrote:
enigma wrote:
I just don't agree with Kaerpernick's term of "oppression". The US obviously has issues with race, but I think saying that the US oppresses people of color is extreme.

People like him think that the whole legal system is set up to put black men in prison.

There's evidence that that's true, at least to some degree. If we're such a "free country", how can we have so many people in prison?

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2016 12:34 pm 
Site Admin

pizza_Place: Malnati's
FavreFan wrote:
Seacrest wrote:
FavreFan wrote:
Drake LaRrieta wrote:
Anyone want to put an over under on how many times Kaepernick refuses to stand for the anthem this season? I'm going to put it at 2.5 games.

I would think he would either stand for it the rest of the season or sit for it the rest of the season. He's gonna look silly if he only does it a few games in a row and then stops. Doing it as a one time thing is understandable and he can easily justify it by saying he made his statement but doesn't want it to be a season long distraction.

His contract is guaranteed, he has nothing to lose here. He will be receiving more than $11M no matter what.

#Patriot

I thought that was wrong, and googled it, and you're right. They gave him $61 million guaranteed!!! Damn, San Francisco residents should have no pride in Jed York.

Of course I am.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2016 12:36 pm 

pizza_Place: Clamburger's
Walt Williams Neck wrote:
Do you think this shit for brains will blame his not starting because of his stance? Also I equate the lively banter between Joe Orr Road and jbi11s to that of Shana Alexander and James J. Kilpatrick :roll:

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2016 12:36 pm 

pizza_Place: Pizza Cucina
Boilermaker Rick wrote:
Sounds like this country has provided him a pretty decent and fulfilling life here doesn't it?

Did he ever say it didn't? He said he was standing up for those without a voice.

Also, this is beside the point. He could be the Mayor of Pleasantville, and there are still good reasons to voice your opinion rather than just moving. It truly is a scary proposition that anyone with a voice and power who ever disliked things would just move. This country would look more like the U.S.S.R.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2016 12:37 pm 

pizza_Place: Lou Malnatis
Boilermaker Rick wrote:
FavreFan wrote:
It seems to me that you think "I don't have pride in my country" is equal to "I hate my country", since you've made that switch more than once in this conversation. What is your issue with someone saying they have no pride in their country? Why do you think anybody who lives here should feel compelled to have pride in our country? That's the type of weird Soviet Union type of mentality that we should be better than.
I don't have an issue with it. It just makes me question why you would stay if you had the ability to leave. It's simply a practical question.

If it was simply a practical question, why not accept the answer that leash and I both gave you? That's why I'm taking it as more than just a question, and why a few of us now get the impression that you're essentially just saying love it or leave it.

Quote:
Also, the secondary point is that there isn't another country without issues.

We agree on that, which is just one more reason I wouldn't move if I were him.

And again, "I don't have pride in my country" is absolutely not synonymous with "I hate my country". You seem to be wanting him to say harsher critiques than the ones he actually said in order for you to have an easier counterargument.

To rock my soul

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2016 12:38 pm 

leashyourkids wrote:
Boilermaker Rick wrote:
Sounds like this country has provided him a pretty decent and fulfilling life here doesn't it?

Did he ever say it didn't? He said he was standing up for those without a voice.

Also, this is beside the point. He could be the Mayor of Pleasantville, and there are still good reasons to voice your opinion rather than just moving. It truly is a scary proposition that anyone with a voice and power who ever disliked things would just move. This country would look more like the U.S.S.R.
Who said he can't voice his opinion?

The issue here is that he has no pride in this country. So the simple question is if you can do it why not leave?

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2016 12:38 pm 

Drake LaRrieta wrote:
enigma wrote:
I just don't agree with Kaerpernick's term of "oppression". The US obviously has issues with race, but I think saying that the US oppresses people of color is extreme.

People like him think that the whole legal system is set up to put black men in prison.

Eh... I don't think I'm like him, but I do believe the justice system targets those of color more so than whitey.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2016 12:39 pm 

pizza_Place: Pizza Cucina
Boilermaker Rick wrote:
leashyourkids wrote:
Boilermaker Rick wrote:

Who said he can't voice his opinion?

The issue here is that he has no pride in this country. So the simple question is if you can do it why not leave?

I don't know. If it's just a personal question for him you're curious about, I'm not sure why we're debating.

Boilermaker Rick wrote:
The issue here is that he has no pride in this country.

You still have yet to say WHY that is an issue though. Can you explain that without conflating it for "I hate my country."?

To rock my soul

FavreFan wrote:
And again, "I don't have pride in my country" is absolutely not synonymous with "I hate my country". You seem to be wanting him to say harsher critiques than the ones he actually said in order for you to have an easier counterargument.
They may not be synonymous but they are pretty close.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2016 12:40 pm 

FavreFan wrote:
Boilermaker Rick wrote:
The issue here is that he has no pride in this country.

You still have yet to say WHY that is an issue though. Can you explain that without conflating it for "I hate my country."?
I did explain it. You can find it.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2016 12:41 pm 

pizza_Place: Giordano's
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
I'm sure you understand what social customs are. You have the luxury of ignoring them here in the U.S. with no greater repercussion than being looked at as a douchebag. That isn't the case everywhere in the world.

I do, and every one that I can think of involves direct interaction with another member of a society, or a few of them. Standing for a song is only a social custom if not standing is viewed as a personal slight against others, because otherwise there is no societal interaction. We all stand for the anthem, but we don't do it for each other, so for whom or what do we do it?

Then, once that is answered, we can dive into why people feel that protesting by way of engaging in this tradition (differently or not at all) makes someone a "douchebag".

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2016 12:41 pm 

I look forward to the building of the Colin Kaepernick Vocational and Technical Center where the focus is on getting inner city yute skilled training in those underserved careers while also putting his celebrity influence to work pressuring local businesses to hire the ones who complete the program. Then he can build the Kaepernick Police Re-Education Complex focusing on getting problem officers the proper training they need to deal with minorities.

It aint the six minutes. Its what happens in those six minutes.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2016 12:42 pm 

Boilermaker Rick wrote:
FavreFan wrote:

Not at all. Don't go binary on us now Rick!

To rock my soul

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2016 12:43 pm 

badrogue17 wrote:
I look forward to the building of the Colin Kaepernick Vocational and Technical Center where the focus is on getting inner city yute skilled training in those underserved careers while also putting his celebrity influence to work pressuring local businesses to hire the ones who complete the program. Then he can build the Kaepernick Police Re-Education Complex focusing on getting problem officers the proper training they need to deal with minorities.

Man, you really hate black people and fat women.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2016 12:47 pm 

FavreFan wrote:
Boilermaker Rick wrote:
FavreFan wrote:

Explain what I don't have pride in my country means then.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2016 12:49 pm 

Boilermaker Rick wrote:
FavreFan wrote:
Boilermaker Rick wrote:
FavreFan wrote:

Maybe that you're disappointed in the actions of certain people and the government?

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2016 12:49 pm 

Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
Drake LaRrieta wrote:
enigma wrote:

There's evidence that that's true, at least to some degree. If we're such a "free country", how can we have so many people in prison?

Illegal drugs. The fact that people who use and people who sell drugs go to jail is why so many people are in jail. People who are on drugs also rob and sometimes kill other people because they need money to support their addiction.

In the black community most of the children are born out of wedlock and grow up in homes without fathers. There is a lack of role models. You might also couple that with kids dropping out of school and you have people who don't have an ability to make a decent living.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2016 12:51 pm 
Site Admin

Drake LaRrieta wrote:
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
Drake LaRrieta wrote:
enigma wrote:

Illegal drugs. The fact that people who use and people who sell drugs go to jail is why so many people are in jail. People who are on drugs also rob and sometimes kill other people because they need money to support their addiction.

In the black community most of the children are born out of wedlock and grow up in homes without fathers. There is a lack of role models. You might also couple that with kids dropping out of school and you have people who don't have an ability to make a decent living.

What drives people to take drugs?

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2016 12:52 pm 

Boilermaker Rick wrote:
FavreFan wrote:
Boilermaker Rick wrote:
FavreFan wrote:

Well, it's a pretty self explanatory sentence. MANY people wouldn't take pride in something they themselves had no hand in. Also, it just means there are numerous issues that he feels strongly enough about that, in his opinion, bring enough shame to the United States that he doesn't take pride in being from here. We judge other countries by the way their government acts. If other countries did the same to us, it's really not a hard feeling to understand. I know that you believe providing a comfortable life for you and your family cancels out all the shameful things in our country past and present, but others may not agree. And it is very un-American to tell those people to go find somewhere better to live.

To rock my soul

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2016 12:55 pm 

FavreFan wrote:
Boilermaker Rick wrote:
FavreFan wrote:
Boilermaker Rick wrote:
FavreFan wrote:

Well, it's a pretty self explanatory sentence. MANY people wouldn't take pride in something they themselves had no hand in. Also, it just means there are numerous issues that he feels strongly enough about that, in his opinion, bring enough shame to the United States that he doesn't take pride in being from here. We judge other countries by the way their government acts. If other countries did the same to us, it's really not a hard feeling to understand. I know that you believe providing a comfortable life for you and your family cancels out all the shameful things in our country past and present, but others may not agree. And it is very un-American to tell those people to go find somewhere better to live.

Sounds pretty close to dislike or hate to me.

And it is not un-American. Where are you getting that?

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2016 12:57 pm 

Seacrest wrote:
Drake LaRrieta wrote:
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
Drake LaRrieta wrote:
enigma wrote:

Initially it's usually their friends or social circle that get them to try stuff. The other thing is that people are trying to escape from their life and looking to drugs to fill a hole in their life.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2016 12:59 pm 
Site Admin

Drake LaRrieta wrote:
Seacrest wrote:
Drake LaRrieta wrote:
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
Drake LaRrieta wrote:
enigma wrote:

Initially it's usually their friends or social circle that get them to try stuff. The other thing is that people are trying to escape from their life and looking to drugs to fill a hole in their life.

Then wouldn't prejudice, plus a lack of good educational choices and few job opportunities for the uneducated be quite a whole to fill?

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2016 1:01 pm 

Boilermaker Rick wrote:
FavreFan wrote:
Boilermaker Rick wrote:

Sounds pretty close to dislike or hate to me.

That's because you view the world in binary terms. I don't see an issue with not having pride in one's country, while still liking many facets of that country.

Quote:
And it is not un-American. Where are you getting that?

I'm getting that because I have a pretty good understanding of the ideals this country was founded on, and am now questioning if you do. We have a great tradition of dissent, civil disobedience, and social protest in this country(one of the MANY things I like about us!). It is antithetical to the very ideas this country was founded on to tell someone who protests our government's actions to leave the country because they don't love it enough for your taste.

To rock my soul

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2016 1:02 pm 

pizza_Place: Milano's
hole, even

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2016 1:02 pm 

I don't think what FF is explaining is all that complex, but Brick be Brick.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2016 1:03 pm 

pizza_Place: Giordano's
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
Drake LaRrieta wrote:
enigma wrote:

While it is true that our legal system puts too many people in prison, and the distribution of those too many don't line up with what we would expect given the makeup of society, I think people tend to conflate "inequality" with "active oppression". There is an undeniable inequality in the aggregate result of our legal system tangling with the poor in our society, with minorities representing a disproportionate amount of that sect's makeup, and thus, result. However, when different variables are accounted for, the inequality seems to vanish in criminal sentencing, making the aggregate inequality appear more the result of unfortunate circumstances holding over from years of active oppression, and less like the targeted, active, ongoing mission by the legal system to jail black people some would have you believe.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2016 1:03 pm 

Drake LaRrieta wrote:
Seacrest wrote:
Drake LaRrieta wrote:
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
Drake LaRrieta wrote:
enigma wrote:

Whoa whoa whoa, Chief. Some of just like getting high.

To rock my soul

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2016 1:08 pm 

Another irony of this "controversy" is that a lot of Trump supporters are telling a rich guy to leave the country because that rich guy is too critical of it.

To rock my soul

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2016 1:11 pm 

Seacrest wrote:
Then wouldn't prejudice, plus a lack of good educational choices and few job opportunities for the uneducated be quite a whole to fill?

The United States government offers free housing, free food, free health care, free schools and even affirmative action and gives preference to minority candidates for colleges. At a certain point there's not much more than can be given to the black community in terms of federal money.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 537 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15 ... 18  Next