It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 10:13 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 537 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 18  Next
 Post subject: Re: Kaepernick
PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2013 9:30 am 

pizza_Place: nick n vito's
Yes, much better passer than orton

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2013 9:33 am 

Not sure about "most qb's"

He's got a strong arm. I think Luck will be better.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2013 9:41 am 

pizza_Place: Lou Malnatis
rogers park bryan wrote:

Of course he's a better thrower than most QBs. There's like 15-20 decent or better ones, and 40-50 terrible ones(by NFL starter standards) in the league. I haven't heard anyone question if Kaepernick will be good going forward. The question is always how good. I think he'll be better than Luck but I wasn't all that impressed with Luck this season.

To rock my soul

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2013 9:43 am 

pizza_Place: Joes Pizza
312player wrote:
They do have a bright future, and I believe more draft picks than any team this draft.
Kwood - they were right about packers...they win 11 plus games yearly n own thedivision.

Yea, they're still good and Super Bowl contenders. But just boggles the mind how Packers defense can go from top-3 in SB year to bottom-5 within a year.

I can see the 49ers defense have the same thing happen (Though not as large a decline). Their defense didn't really show up at all during the playoffs.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2013 9:44 am 

rogers park bryan wrote:
FavreFan wrote:
49ers look like they probably have the brightest future for the next couple years unless Kaepernick suddenly significantly regresses.

It almost never works out like that though.

Seahawks were the more dangerous team in the division at the end of the season. I didn't think the 49ers played all that great in the second half of the season and the defense has been letting up points since december. There is a lot of talk about the great LBs on the team but Justin Smith is their MVP and his is over 30.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2013 9:56 am 

FavreFan wrote:
rogers park bryan wrote:

Of course he's a better thrower than most QBs. There's like 15-20 decent or better ones, and 40-50 terrible ones(by NFL starter standards) in the league. .

What does that mean?

When you say better than most, Im assuming you mean he's a top 5 thrower. I mean if you're saying he's better than bad QB's I agree.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2013 10:00 am 

rogers park bryan wrote:
FavreFan wrote:
rogers park bryan wrote:

Of course he's a better thrower than most QBs. There's like 15-20 decent or better ones, and 40-50 terrible ones(by NFL starter standards) in the league. .

What does that mean?

When you say better than most, Im assuming you mean he's a top 5 thrower. I mean if you're saying he's better than bad QB's I agree.

Not sure why you would assume I meant top 5. I'm saying he's better than average QBs like Orton, and yes ofc course bad QBs. Bad and average QBs make up most of the QBs in the nfl.

To rock my soul

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2013 10:03 am 

pizza_Place: Al's Pizza
FavreFan wrote:
Kirkwood wrote:
FavreFan wrote:
Kaepernick was undeniably playing tight for the first half of the game. All indications are he is going to be great going forward though. As good a supporting cast on offense and coaching staff as he could ask for too, and one of the best defenses in the league. 49ers look like they probably have the brightest future for the next couple years unless Kaepernick suddenly significantly regresses.

Analysts and yakkers said the same thing about the Packers. :| I agree with you about 49ers but it's crazy how fast shit changes in the NFL.

True, but the Packers haven't exactly fallen off a cliff. They are 27-8 overall since they won a SB and will probably be in the top 5-6 preseason favorites to win the SB next year.

49ers 5-1
Broncos 5-1
Patriots 7-1
Packers 7-1
Texans 10-1
Seahawks 10-1
Ravens 10-1

<º)))><

Waiting for the time when I can finally say
That this has all been wonderful, but now I'm on my way

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2013 10:05 am 

FavreFan wrote:
rogers park bryan wrote:
FavreFan wrote:
rogers park bryan wrote:

What does that mean?

Not sure why you would assume I meant top 5. I'm saying he's better than average QBs like Orton, and yes ofc course bad QBs. Bad and average QBs make up most of the QBs in the nfl.

I guess when you say better than most I assume most = all but a few.

I mean if were talking QB's and who's good, we should probably start with a base of 20. There are only about 20 locked in starters at a given time.

I think Kaepernick will lose the ability to run at some point and then he'll just be a guy. Its not only that he can make throws, but depending on his arm without the ability to run is playing a whole different way

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2013 10:10 am 

I just don't see why he would lose his run threat anytime soon. I forgot the exact numbers but it's pretty amazing just how rarely Kaepernick gets hit. He's had about as good a first ten starts as we've seen in the league before. Obviously it's possible that he regresses, it just doesn't seem likely at all to me. If he makes some slight improvement with clock and play management I think he'll be a top 10 QB next year.

To rock my soul

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2013 10:13 am 

Every running QB in the history of the league stops running at some point (usually due to injury)

I think he'll be good, just not a long career.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2013 11:40 am 
Site Admin

pizza_Place: Aurelio's
FavreFan wrote:
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
rogers park bryan wrote:
FavreFan wrote:
49ers look like they probably have the brightest future for the next couple years unless Kaepernick suddenly significantly regresses.

It almost never works out like that though.

Right. What is really likely to happen is this: Kaepernick will get banged up here and there and age and get just a little bit slower. At the same time, the league's defensive brains will be working on ways to stop this hot gimmick offense. When you dial down his running and make him pass, do you really think he's a better passer than a Kyle Orton?

Yes. He is a better passer than Kyle Orton. And most other QBs.

I'm not so sure about that and I certainly don't think 9 games is enough to make that statement. Yeah, he's got a big arm. So does Orton and he's an accurate pocket passer. At some point defenses are going to neutralize his running game and make him beat them with his arm. We'll see what happens then. Defenses will make adjustments to deal with these glorified option quarterbacks. That's the way the game has always been. The "46" defense was the most fearsome thing on earth until the West Coast offense cut it apart.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2013 12:02 pm 

rogers park bryan wrote:
Every running QB in the history of the league stops running at some point (usually due to injury)

You can't really use the past as any indication...the game has changed, and will continue to change...you can't hit a qb who slides,below knees,above head,wide receivers who are defenseless ...etc...everything is geared toward less hits more points...I don't like it but running qbs will last much longer than past running qbs.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2013 12:21 pm 

312player wrote:
rogers park bryan wrote:

You can't really use the past as any indication...the game has changed, and will continue to change...you can't hit a qb who slides,below knees,above head,wide receivers who are defenseless ...etc...everything is geared toward less hits more points...I don't like it but running qbs will last much longer than past running qbs.

you can absolutely do all those things, you just get penalized. They still happen. And it only takes one.

Not to mention losing speed with age.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2013 12:23 pm 

pizza_Place: any from anywhere
The Bears had a guy just like this guy a long time ago:

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2013 12:27 pm 

pizza_Place: Chuck E Cheese
How's RGIII's ACL?

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2013 12:47 pm 

Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
FavreFan wrote:
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:

Right. What is really likely to happen is this: Kaepernick will get banged up here and there and age and get just a little bit slower. At the same time, the league's defensive brains will be working on ways to stop this hot gimmick offense. When you dial down his running and make him pass, do you really think he's a better passer than a Kyle Orton?

I'm not so sure about that and I certainly don't think 9 games is enough to make that statement. Yeah, he's got a big arm. So does Orton and he's an accurate pocket passer. At some point defenses are going to neutralize his running game and make him beat them with his arm. We'll see what happens then. Defenses will make adjustments to deal with these glorified option quarterbacks. That's the way the game has always been. The "46" defense was the most fearsome thing on earth until the West Coast offense cut it apart.

Atlanta pretty much completely took away his running ability in the championship game. Didn't matter. He's clearly talented enough as a pocket passer to succeed on that alone.

To rock my soul

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2013 12:55 pm 
Site Admin

FavreFan wrote:
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
FavreFan wrote:
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:

Atlanta pretty much completely took away his running ability in the championship game. Didn't matter. He's clearly talented enough as a pocket passer to succeed on that alone.

I think he was 1 for 8 passing into the endzone in the playoffs. His ball looks like Bobby Douglass' to me- a straight rocket that's hard to catch.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2013 12:59 pm 

pizza_Place: Frozen
Mulattos are superior football players...

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2013 12:59 pm 

FavreFan wrote:
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
FavreFan wrote:
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:

Talented enough? Yes.

Can he do it consistently? Need more than 10 games to say yes or no

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2013 1:00 pm 

I'm pretty sure he was better than 1-8 in the playoffs. You mean in the SB? Either way you can't knock using a 9 game sample size as being too small and then say a stat using 8 passing attempts to further your point. That doesn't make a lot of sense.

To rock my soul

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2013 1:22 pm 
Site Admin

FavreFan wrote:
I'm pretty sure he was better than 1-8 in the playoffs. You mean in the SB? Either way you can't knock using a 9 game sample size as being too small and then say a stat using 8 passing attempts to further your point. That doesn't make a lot of sense.

Well, he hasn't really been successful as a pocket passer. They're using his unusual skillset to run what we could call a "gimmick offense". I guess if they're still running it in four years and making the playoffs every year, then maybe it isn't a gimmick. I really doubt that will be the case though.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2013 1:28 pm 

The pistol is the new west coast, the qb who got hit the most in the league last year was luck, c.k. has a great fast ball but he has real nice touch also...I like crabtree but he is nothing special...good #2 ...Davis drops a lot ofballs...I be surprised if niners ate not back in the bowl again next year with new kicker, wideout n few more pieces from draft.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2013 1:37 pm 
Site Admin

312player wrote:
The pistol is the new west coast

Here's why I don't think so. First, defenses will develop better schemes to deploy against it. The Ravens handled it pretty well in the first half yesterday. But more than that, it takes a special guy to run it. Just because there are a few guys that popped out all at once that are capable, I don't believe that it's going to radically alter the way teams look at their offenses.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2013 1:42 pm 

If there is one coach in the game today that I would trust to continue to be on the cutting edge of offensive scheme, it is Harbaugh...and Marc Trestman.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2013 1:48 pm 

Will Kaepernick be as good as Donovan McNabb?

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2013 2:28 pm 

I disagree, the ravens didn't handle shit...they gave up like 465 yards,which is the most ever by a super bowl winner...saw Davis drop a beautiful ball that was a td...saw a bad formation negate a huge gain by a Davis catch...the niners. Were driving hard when backup RB from Oregon. Fumbled.

Better than mcnabb? Good? ...mcnabb was great..borderline hof ..I don't know but if its close he had a hell of a career.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2013 3:01 pm 

I dont think McNabb is a hall of famer

I think Kaepernick will be what McNabb was, til he gets hurt

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2013 3:04 pm 

rogers park bryan wrote:

McNabb in his prime would be at worst probably the 5th best QB in the league right now. It would be awesome for Kaepernick and the 49ers if he was that good.

I think people mistakenly think Kapernick plays like RGIII or something with all this injury talk. He very rarely gets hit. He's probably less likely to get hurt than the average QB.

To rock my soul

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2013 3:19 pm 

FavreFan wrote:
rogers park bryan wrote:

McNabb in his prime would be at worst probably the 5th best QB in the league right now. It would be awesome for Kaepernick and the 49ers if he was that good.

I think people mistakenly think Kapernick plays like RGIII or something with all this injury talk. He very rarely gets hit. He's probably less likely to get hurt than the average QB.

I dont have the numbers, but I would be comfortable saying that the more a QB runs the more likely he is to be hit.

Its just hard to have sustained success as that kind of QB. Even the ones who seemingly have a good arm and can throw usually become mediocre when the run threat is gone or faded.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 537 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 18  Next