It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 2:31 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Stephen Colbert
PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2014 9:49 pm 

Scorehead wrote:
leashyourkids wrote:
I love Colbert, but I don't get this hire. It makes no sense to do the show in character, but his deadpan delivery is his best asset. I don't even know if there's any tape of him doing a "straight" host.

He is extremely talented despite what Scorehead says. It just doesn't seem like a good fit.

It sure doesn't seem like a good fit. Colbert just isn't engaging or interesting to me. Honestly, I would have loved to see Ellen get the gig.

Ellen?!

Holy shit you need to be put out to pasture.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2014 9:51 pm 

:lol: Ellen?

What an idiot

Frank Coztansa wrote:
I have MANY years of experience in trying to appreciate steaming piles of dogshit.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2014 9:55 pm 

DannyB wrote:
A Second City guy stated in an NPR interview that Colbert will go down as the greatest late night host in history, a Jack Paar for the new millenium, and I believed him. You heard it here second.

I like the cut of your multing jib.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2014 10:13 pm 

pizza_Place: Lou Malnatis
rogers park bryan wrote:
Scorehead wrote:
leashyourkids wrote:
I love Colbert, but I don't get this hire. It makes no sense to do the show in character, but his deadpan delivery is his best asset. I don't even know if there's any tape of him doing a "straight" host.

He is extremely talented despite what Scorehead says. It just doesn't seem like a good fit.

It sure doesn't seem like a good fit. Colbert just isn't engaging or interesting to me. Honestly, I would have loved to see Ellen get the gig.

Russel Brand

That would be SOLID. I'd actually watch that occasionally.

To rock my soul

PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2014 10:16 pm 

pizza_Place: Drag's
Zizou wrote:
DannyB wrote:
A Second City guy stated in an NPR interview that Colbert will go down as the greatest late night host in history, a Jack Paar for the new millenium, and I believed him. You heard it here second.

I like the cut of your multing jib.

Thank you. I am admittedly a mult now, but only because I couldn't remember my password. For you see, I was the Poster of the Day on my first day on this board: November 10, 2011. But shortly thereafter I bought a new car and basically stopped listening to local radio in favor of the temporarily free SiriusXM. However, I got rid of the car like three weeks ago and ditched the satellite. So here I am. I actually wasn't a mult back then. I don't remember how I found the board though.

"Smiles with Nostrils"

"...no Hmong, go find some blacks"

PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2014 10:20 pm 

pizza_Place: Charlie Fox's / Paisano's
rogers park bryan wrote:
Scorehead wrote:
leashyourkids wrote:

Russel Brand

+100

PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2014 11:39 pm 

pizza_Place: Salernos, Oak Park
Zizou wrote:
Scorehead wrote:
leashyourkids wrote:

Ellen?!

Yup. What...cant an old white conservative like Ellen??? I'm a big fan. Colbert will never ever be as funny as Ellen.

We don’t have a trillion-dollar debt because we haven’t taxed enough; we have a trillion-dollar debt because we spend too much. — Ronald Reagan

PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2014 11:52 pm 

pizza_Place: Al's Pizza
Scorehead wrote:
Zizou wrote:
Scorehead wrote:
leashyourkids wrote:

Ellen?!

Yup. What...cant an old white conservative like Ellen??? I'm a big fan. Colbert will never ever be as funny as Ellen.

I thought you would be happy that the job went to a goyim, unlike what happens at WSCR, eh?

<º)))><

Waiting for the time when I can finally say
That this has all been wonderful, but now I'm on my way

PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2014 1:20 am 

Chus wrote:

I thought you would be happy that the job went to a goyim, unlike what happens at WSCR, eh?

I like Rozner & Rosey. Spiegel & Levine are horrible.

We don’t have a trillion-dollar debt because we haven’t taxed enough; we have a trillion-dollar debt because we spend too much. — Ronald Reagan

PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2014 7:10 am 

pizza_Place: Al's Pizza
Scorehead wrote:
Chus wrote:

I like Rozner & Rosey. Spiegel & Levine are horrible.

You like Rozner and Rosey? Do you have a black friend, as well?

You inferred that Mitch hired Levine simply because he is Jewish. When you look at how loyal he is to Larry, Mac, and Terry, that is absurd. Bruce isn't a radio host, he is a baseball reporter, and a qualified one. Just admit that you said something that was very stupid. Maybe it was the vodka talking.

<º)))><

Waiting for the time when I can finally say
That this has all been wonderful, but now I'm on my way

PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2014 7:31 am 

what mentally disturbed individual watches any of these shows with the wealth of tv offered now?

PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2014 8:01 am 

pizza_Place: Frozen
veganfan21 wrote:
RBP - it was a bad attempt at feigning belief in Colbert's mock persona.

:x

PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2014 8:07 am 
100000 CLUB

pizza_Place: 773-684-2222
good dolphin wrote:
what mentally disturbed individual watches any of these shows with the wealth of tv offered now?

Sorry you're sane.

Blago: https://youtube.com/shorts/Lftdxd-YXt8?feature=share

"You can’t love your country only when you win." -President Biden

https://youtu.be/R6e4ruziZBI?si=1G4W1vbh0eGQuHfU

PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2014 1:05 pm 

good dolphin wrote:

I used to watch when the hosts were good. Now I just check to see who the guests are but hardly ever watch. Fallon is the worst interviewer I have ever seen. Just terrible. Jimmy is just ok. I will never watch Colbert or Ferguson. Conan is still pretty good though.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2014 5:12 pm 

pizza_Place: Little Caesar's
Fallon's actually really good. OK @ best an interviewer, but his show is very entertaining.

Dave still makes me laugh, but he tends to beat a joke to death. Best interviewer of the bunch.

Ferguson used to be great. He's become a bit hackey.

Seth is too green to judge. It's a rough watch now, but hopefully, for his sake, he'll get better a la Conan.

Kimmel is funny, a better interviewer than Fallon. I love his unnecessary censorship bit, even though anyone can do it. Guiermo (sp?) is the best sidekick.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2014 5:50 pm 

pizza_Place: how many planets have a chicago?
stephen is the fucking man. he's paid his dues from northwestern to exit 57 to the dana carvey show and even to good morning america..... all the way back to the daily show and the repor (SIC) and back again.

i've seen both sides weigh in on the pros/cons of keeping the character doctor stephen t colbert DFA etc etc HEAVYWEIGHT CHAMPION OF THE WORLD: pros = duh. it's his show.... i mean if you see him in IRL interviews he almost goes out of his way to be this humble meek lefty guy who wants to prove to you that he isn't the guy he plays on his show. cons = dude, an o'reilly impersonation/satire is sooooo 2006. o'reilly is on the decline and it's downright silly to bring a little niche satire like that to THE LATE SHOW.

personally, i'm on the side of wanting him to keep his character.... not necessarily because of the character itself, but because of what it signifies. remember there was a thread on here a few years ago where in the wake of his forthcoming TBS show someone asked "OMFG... IS CONAN GOING TO REVOLUTIONIZE LATE NIGHT TELEVISION AS WE KNOW IT?!?!" ...and i laughed in their face/s? yeah well if there's ANYONE who can step up and "revolutionize" the late night talk show format it's stephen fucking colbert.

the man is brilliant.... he's an "it getter" in every sense of the word. and yes i know he has writers, but i'm sure he has some sort of say in which writers he gets and thus he has a hand in how consistently great his humble little repor (the t is silent) has been since 2006. for the last few years, sure, it hasn't been as "edgy" and as balls-out-funtelligent as it used to be.... but it still delivers. did you see that bit where stephen went to occupy wall street and talked to two "leaders" named [some guy] and ketchup? he literally ran circles around them kicking their ass so badly he was able to rub their face in it.... and make them like it. >> http://thecolbertreport.cc.com/videos/d ... reet-pt--1

supposedly a lot of his interviews are improv stuff where he's able to go freeform and match wits with his guest/s..... and well, if that's the case with that video i linked to..... good lord man. there's a chance we could have someone both intelligent and accessible on a major network.

i won't hold my breath, and i'll definitely miss my repor @ 1030 monday thru thursday most of the weeks of the year. but if i have faith in anyone to go out and make a good late night talk show that's appointment television, it's stephen colbert. and i hope that CBS doesn't give him too many notes because i think if given a chance he can kick jimmy fallon's ass all over the place.... i mean he'll do it anyways it's only a matter of whether people watch or not. and hopefully they do cuz this guy is some top shelf stuff when it comes to late night talk shows. here's to hoping that he can do something fun with the format and give us something akin to late night letterman, just at 1030.