It is currently Fri May 03, 2024 12:20 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Adam Silver
PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2014 8:41 pm 

pizza_Place: Pizza Cucina
pittmike wrote:
leashyourkids wrote:
pittmike wrote:
Ok but Adam Silver? Oh well I don't know that character. I was trying to see if you were alluding Silver is gay.

No, just Sam Mills.

Want to start BMAC thread out of this? :lol:

YES. :D

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2014 9:26 pm 

pizza_Place: Dino's
:lol: @ Chus.

-Hank Kingsley

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2014 9:40 pm 

pizza_Place: A few...
Furious Styles wrote:
:lol: @ Chus.

Yes.

that was hilarious when Creed said that.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2014 10:11 pm 

Location: Pearl Harbor, Waukesha, and other things that make no sense
pizza_Place: Lou Malnati's
"Thank you. I've never owned a refrigerator before."

PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2014 8:08 am 

looks like Nosferatu

He seems to have no ability to speak extemporaneously. Everything he says are from prepared notes

PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2014 8:16 am 

Location: Pearl Harbor, Waukesha, and other things that make no sense
pizza_Place: Lou Malnati's
good dolphin wrote:
He seems to have no ability to speak extemporaneously. Everything he says are from prepared notes

Good call. The "amazing moment" of the NBA drafting Austin wasn't that amazing with Silver sounding like such a robot.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2014 6:12 am 

The way he is looking past what the Heat management is doing right now is pretty great too!

PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2014 8:29 am 

pizza_Place: Lou Malnatis
Looking past? What do you want him to do, violate the CBA and step in?

To rock my soul

PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2014 8:33 am 
100000 CLUB

pizza_Place: 773-684-2222
The Player's Union has to have an issue with it. Especially if The Big 3 take a substantial pay cut.

Blago: https://youtube.com/shorts/Lftdxd-YXt8?feature=share

"You can’t love your country only when you win." -President Biden

https://youtu.be/R6e4ruziZBI?si=1G4W1vbh0eGQuHfU

PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2014 8:34 am 

Nas wrote:
The Player's Union has to have an issue with it. Especially if The Big 3 take a substantial pay cut.

Wade won't be taking a pay cut. Bosh probably won't either. There really is no issue with what Miami is doing.

To rock my soul

PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2014 8:35 am 

FavreFan wrote:
You don't think the current situation between the Heat management and players is worth investigating?

There is a report that the Heat players are having contract discussions with each other. Oh, but I'm sure that this is all completely independent from the team. :lol:

Reminds me of the Minnesota situation with Joe Smith, but the Heat are seemingly smart enough to not be leaving a paper trail.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2014 8:39 am 
100000 CLUB

Agreed. There is no way Wade opted out without knowing that he would get more money in a new deal. Last time around Stephen A Smith was the only one aware that they had all met prior to free agency and the trips were bullshit.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2014 8:40 am 

Boilermaker Rick wrote:
FavreFan wrote:
You don't think the current situation between the Heat management and players is worth investigating?

There is a report that the Heat players are having contract discussions with each other. Oh, but I'm sure that this is all completely independent from the team. :lol:

Reminds me of the Minnesota situation with Joe Smith, but the Heat are seemingly smart enough to not be leaving a paper trail.

It's nothing like the Joe Smith thing. Players are allowed to talk amongst themselves and agree to go play somewhere. Ray Allen already publicly said he's tagging along with LeBron. At different times Parker, Manu, and Duncan all signed below market rates to stay together and were praised for it. There's simply nothing wrong with players taking more control of where they want to play. This criticism is somewhat baffling to me.

To rock my soul

PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2014 8:43 am 
100000 CLUB

FavreFan wrote:
Boilermaker Rick wrote:
FavreFan wrote:

It's nothing like the Joe Smith thing. Players are allowed to talk amongst themselves and agree to go play somewhere. Ray Allen already publicly said he's tagging along with LeBron. At different times Parker, Manu, and Duncan all signed below market rates to stay together and were praised for it. There's simply nothing wrong with players taking more control of where they want to play. This criticism is somewhat baffling to me.

In general I agree with you when it comes to players taking control. That being said the comparison with the Spurs is wrong. The Spurs players didn't walk away from $40M. Their contracts had already expired.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2014 8:47 am 

FavreFan wrote:
If you don't think there are deals in place with management already then we'll just agree to disagree. It seems fairly obvious to me that the players and management have been working together and it isn't just the three guys deciding to play together.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2014 8:51 am 

Nas wrote:
FavreFan wrote:
Boilermaker Rick wrote:
FavreFan wrote:

In general I agree with you when it comes to players taking control. That being said the comparison with the Spurs is wrong. The Spurs players didn't walk away from $40M. Their contracts had already expired.

It doesn't sound like you agree with me. What the difference between walking away from it and leaving it on the table. Durant left almost $20M on the table in his last contract iirc.

And the Players Union doesn't even have a leader right now. They're really in no position to do much of anything. And I don't think Adam Silver has the power to tell the Heat management they aren't allowed to sign certain players at below market prices.

To rock my soul

PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2014 8:52 am 

Boilermaker Rick wrote:
FavreFan wrote:
If you don't think there are deals in place with management already then we'll just agree to disagree. It seems fairly obvious to me that the players and management have been working together and it isn't just the three guys deciding to play together.

That's probably true. And I still don't know what you want Silver to do about it. Nothing you described violates any contracts or terms of the CBA that I'm aware of.

To rock my soul

PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2014 8:54 am 

FavreFan wrote:
That's probably true. And I still don't know what you want Silver to do about it. Nothing you described violates any contracts or terms of the CBA that I'm aware of.
I'm pretty sure that teams aren't allowed to be involved in negotiations for a few more days. It's at least worth investigation.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2014 8:57 am 

Boilermaker Rick wrote:
FavreFan wrote:
I'm pretty sure that teams aren't allowed to be involved in negotiations for a few more days. It's at least worth investigation.

Who's to say he's not monitoring it?

The Bulls have been not so subtley courting Melo for months. You really think Bulls reps and Melo haven't talked?

To rock my soul

PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2014 9:00 am 

FavreFan wrote:
He won't do anything.

FavreFan wrote:
The Bulls have been not so subtley courting Melo for months. You really think Bulls reps and Melo haven't talked?
They may have. However, there was a report that there are active contract negotiations with the Big 3, or Big 4, or Big 5.

If it came out about Melo then they should also investigate.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2014 9:02 am 
100000 CLUB

FavreFan wrote:
It doesn't sound like you agree with me. What the difference between walking away from it and leaving it on the table. Durant left almost $20M on the table in his last contract iirc.

And the Players Union doesn't even have a leader right now. They're really in no position to do much of anything. And I don't think Adam Silver has the power to tell the Heat management they aren't allowed to sign certain players at below market prices.

Taking a below market deal after your contract has expired is different than opting out of a contract with 2 years and $40M left to take a below market deal. In order for someone like Wade to do that he had to have some agreement in place with the team. That would be a violation of the CBA.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2014 9:04 am 

Boilermaker Rick wrote:
FavreFan wrote:
He won't do anything.

FavreFan wrote:
They may have. However, there was a report that there are active contract negotiations with the Big 3, or Big 4, or Big 5.

If it came out about Melo then they should also investigate.

He probably won't do anything. He would need concrete proof. But this sounds like you just don't like Miami and are mad the team is gonna resign LeBron. Teams in all sports have "secret" conversations before the day they're allowed to all the time. I really don't think that's gonna affect their decision and I don't think Miami is really doing anything wrong.

To rock my soul

PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2014 9:05 am 

Nas wrote:
FavreFan wrote:

Taking a below market deal after your contract has expired is different than opting out of a contract with 2 years and $40M left to take a below market deal. In order for someone like Wade to do that he had to have some agreement in place with the team. That would be a violation of the CBA.

Actually, I don't think it would. What part of the CBA would it violate? Just the same thing Rick is talking about with negotiating before you're supposed to, and I'm sure every team does that. Wade personally is not doing anything wrong there. Kirilenko did the same thing on a smaller scale to go to the Nets but actually got less for it.

To rock my soul

PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2014 9:10 am 
100000 CLUB

FavreFan wrote:
Nas wrote:
FavreFan wrote:

Actually, I don't think it would. What part of the CBA would it violate? Just the same thing Rick is talking about with negotiating before you're supposed to, and I'm sure every team does that. Wade personally is not doing anything wrong there. Kirilenko did the same thing on a smaller scale to go to the Nets but actually got less for it.

I believe making deals under the table is a violation. That got Minnesota in trouble and would have gotten Cleveland in trouble if they admitted they let Boozer out of his deal because they had already agreed to a deal with him. The NBA can't prove it so nothing will happen. Proof is what made the league void the Juwan Howard deal to Miami.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2014 9:14 am 

FavreFan wrote:
He probably won't do anything. He would need concrete proof. But this sounds like you just don't like Miami and are mad the team is gonna resign LeBron. Teams in all sports have "secret" conversations before the day they're allowed to all the time. I really don't think that's gonna affect their decision and I don't think Miami is really doing anything wrong.
I think it is pretty clear what they are doing. They may be smart enough to keep the evidence hard to find but I think they also know that the NBA is never going to put itself into a situation where a major scandal about Lebron and the Heat is what dominates the coverage.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2014 9:25 am 

Boilermaker Rick wrote:
FavreFan wrote:
I think it is pretty clear what they are doing. They may be smart enough to keep the evidence hard to find but I think they also know that the NBA is never going to put itself into a situation where a major scandal about Lebron and the Heat is what dominates the coverage.

That's probably true. I just don't think it's a big deal as I believe literally every team in every sport does something similar.

To rock my soul

PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2014 9:27 am 

FavreFan wrote:
That's probably true. I just don't think it's a big deal as I believe literally every team in every sport does something similar.
Every team in every sport is involved in illegal negotiations with virtually every player on the team in one offseason?

I understand the Bulls may have had a discussion with Kirk Hinrich about the future but there are very few parallels to what is going on with the Heat right now.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2014 9:29 am 
Site Admin

pizza_Place: Aurelio's
Boilermaker Rick wrote:
FavreFan wrote:
Every team in every sport is involved in illegal negotiations with virtually every player on the team in one offseason?

I understand the Bulls may have had a discussion with Kirk Hinrich about the future but there are very few parallels to what is going on with the Heat right now.

Back Channels!