It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 1:42 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2014 9:36 am 

At the very least, this seems like a huge step towards a permanent cure/treatment

Mayo Clinic trial: Massive blast of measles vaccine wipes out cancer
Article by: DAN BROWNING , Star Tribune Updated: May 14, 2014 - 8:03 AM
Mayo Clinic’s blitzkrieg approach to overwhelm tumors virally will get more study.

63 comments decrease font size resize text increase font size printbuy reprints
Share21.1K Share via Email

Stacy Erholtz was out of conventional treatment options for blood cancer last June when she underwent an experimental trial at the Mayo Clinic that injected her with enough measles vaccine to inoculate 10 million people.

The 50-year-old Pequot Lakes mother is now part of medical history.

The cancer, which had spread widely through her body, went into complete remission and was undetectable in Erholtz’s body after just one dose of the measles vaccine, which has an uncanny affinity for certain kinds of tumors.

Erholtz was one of just two subjects in the experiment and the only one to achieve complete remission. But the experiment provides the “proof of concept” that a single, massive dose of intravenous viral therapy can kill cancer by overwhelming its natural defenses, according to Dr. Stephen Russell, a professor of molecular medicine who spearheaded the research at Mayo.

“It’s a landmark,” Russell said in an interview last week. “We’ve known for a long time that we can give a virus intravenously and destroy metastatic cancer in mice. Nobody’s shown that you can do that in people before.”

Until now.

The research, published online Wednesday in the journal Mayo Clinic Proceedings, represents a “benchmark to strive for and improve upon,” according to an accompanying editorial by Dr. John C. Bell of the Centre for Innovative Cancer Research in Ottawa.

“Without trying to hype it too much, it is a very significant discovery,” Bell said in an interview.

The next step is a bigger trial to see if the measles blitzkrieg works in a larger number of patients — a trial that Mayo expects to launch no later than September.

Cancer killers

Researchers have known for decades that viruses can be used to destroy cancer. They bind to tumors and use them as hosts to replicate their own genetic material; the cancer cells eventually explode and release the virus. Antiviral vaccines that have been rendered safe can produce the same effects and can also be modified to carry radioactive molecules to help destroy cancer cells without causing widespread damage to healthy cells around the tumors. The body’s immune system then attacks any remaining cancer that carries remnants of the vaccine’s genetic imprint.

Researchers worldwide are working with a variety of cancer-killing viruses, including herpes and poxvirus, and they have produced long-lasting cures in rodent studies, Bell noted in his editorial. “Many have been tried in humans but no one has shown this type of systemic activity [seen in the Mayo study],” he said.

The Mayo research could also help solve a related puzzle. Researchers have suspected for some time that there is a threshold level of virus that is required to defeat the defense mechanisms in cancerous tumors, Bell said, and the Mayo study helps set the bar.

In addition, various viruses show an affinity for particular organs, Russell said. Pneumonia and influenza, for example, damage the lungs. Hepatitis damages the liver.

“We have a virus that can do that selectively to a tumor without at the same time causing damage to normal tissues in the body,” Russell said.

Massive dose

The strain that Russell used was isolated in 1954 from the throat of an 11-year-old boy named David Edmonston and has been used to safely make all of the measles vaccines used in the West, he said. The virus treats multiple myeloma tumors as food and turns them into machines to make copies of itself.

Most people have been inoculated with the vaccine, rendering it vulnerable to their immune systems. But patients with multiple myeloma often have suppressed immune systems, which can allow the virus to do its work.

The normal dose of vaccine contains 10,000 infectious units of the measles virus, Russell said. Mayo started out giving patients 1 million infectious units and gradually cranked up the dosage — but it didn’t work until Erholtz and another patient were injected with 100 billion infectious units, he said.

While the treatment worked in Erholtz, whose tumors were primarily in her bone marrow, the results weren’t sustained in the second patient, whose tumors were largely confined to her leg muscles. Russell said researchers need to study how the nature of the tumor affects the lethality of the virus.

“I think if we had been able to give bigger dose, we might have got a better outcome in that second patient,” he said.

But at least for now, there’s no second chance. Once the vaccine has been delivered, the body’s immune system will recognize it and attack it. Russell said breaking down the immune system before the treatment will be part of another upcoming clinical trial.

Researchers also may be able to bypass the immune system by taking a patient’s cells and converting them into Trojan horses. The virus is loaded into the cells, and they are injected back into the bloodstream. “That way it doesn’t get destroyed before it reaches its target,” Russell said.

Close to success

At the James Cancer Hospital and Solove Research Institute in Ohio, Dr. Tanios Bekaii-Saab is working on a study to treat pancreatic cancer using Reolysin, a proprietary variant of the virus that causes the common cold.

Researchers, he said, have two primary approaches: Inject the virus directly into tumors to get past their defenses or inject it into the bloodstream and hope it will seek out tumors and overwhelm them, as was done in the Mayo study.

Saab said he expects one of these virus “platforms” is likely to become standard treatment for a cancer such as myeloma or pancreatic cancer within three to four years.

After reading a draft of the Mayo study, Saab called it “an incredibly innovative way to actually attack the cancer and perhaps even offer a better chance at complete remission,” especially in combination with radioactive molecules and immune system therapy.

He cautioned that the study still must be confirmed in large randomized clinical trials — the point where many hopes get dashed.

“Unless we get to the third stage of development, we are only cautiously optimistic,” Saab said.

For her part, Erholtz has no regrets about participating in the study and remains optimistic that she will remain cancer-free at her annual checkup next month in Rochester.

“We don’t let the cancer cloud hang over our house, let’s put it that way, or we would have lived in the dark the last 10 years,” Erholtz said.

PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2014 9:43 am 

pizza_Place: Bojono's on Clarendon
Your move, Miracle Whip Clinic.

PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2014 9:43 am 

pizza_Place: Kaisers
This is great news.

I can't help myself....

Last edited by T-Bone on Thu May 15, 2014 9:58 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2014 9:46 am 

T-Bone wrote:
This is great news.

I can't help myself....

Not sure what that is, but

PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2014 9:55 am 

pizza_Place: Lou Malnatis
Big Pharm is readying its best assassins to target these research scientists as we speak.

It aint the six minutes. Its what happens in those six minutes.

PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2014 9:56 am 

pizza_Place: Kaisers
rogers park bryan wrote:
T-Bone wrote:
This is great news.

I can't help myself....

It's the only photo I could find of Joe Mayo from Seinfeld. :oops:

PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2014 9:57 am 

T-Bone wrote:
rogers park bryan wrote:
T-Bone wrote:
This is great news.

I can't help myself....

Not showing up on my screen

PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2014 9:59 am 

T-Bone wrote:
rogers park bryan wrote:
T-Bone wrote:
This is great news.

I can't help myself....

PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2014 10:00 am 

pizza_Place: Little Caesar's
Parents won't do it because it'll give their kids Autism.

PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2014 10:01 am 

badrogue17 wrote:
Big Pharm is readying its best assassins to target these research scientists as we speak.

I cant tell if this is sarcastic or not

PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2014 10:04 am 

pizza_Place: Milano's
Douchebag wrote:
T-Bone wrote:
rogers park bryan wrote:
T-Bone wrote:
This is great news.

I can't help myself....

PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2014 10:08 am 

pizza_Place: Sausage
Awesome news, keep it up boys...god bless!!!

PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2014 10:10 am 

Douchebag wrote:
T-Bone wrote:
rogers park bryan wrote:
T-Bone wrote:
This is great news.

I can't help myself....

That's about the only time I saw him in a Bucks uniform all year.

PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2014 10:20 am 

pizza_Place: Al's Pizza
Telegram Sam wrote:

:lol: :lol: :lol:

<º)))><

Waiting for the time when I can finally say
That this has all been wonderful, but now I'm on my way

PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2014 10:23 am 

pizza_Place: Milano's
Chus wrote:
Telegram Sam wrote:

:lol: :lol: :lol:

i love how these new Miracle Whip commercials are pretty much conceding the people who consume it are hillbillies

PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2014 10:25 am 

T-Bone wrote:
This is great news.

I can't help myself....

Joe Mayo: Hey, Puddy. Could you make sure that nobody taps on the glass?
Puddy: Sure thing, Joe Mayo.

<º)))><

PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2014 10:30 am 
100000 CLUB

pizza_Place: Vito & Nick's
Alright, give me Hamm on 5, hold The Mayo.

There will never be an effective vaccine. I'll never get one anyway.

PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2014 11:31 am 

pizza_Place: Salernos, Oak Park
rogers park bryan wrote:
badrogue17 wrote:

This news most assuredly is making many in the Medical & Pharm industries nervous. Cancer treatment is huge business for them.

We don’t have a trillion-dollar debt because we haven’t taxed enough; we have a trillion-dollar debt because we spend too much. — Ronald Reagan

PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2014 11:46 am 
Site Admin

pizza_Place: Malnati's
Scorehead wrote:
rogers park bryan wrote:
badrogue17 wrote:

This news most assuredly is making many in the Medical & Pharm industries nervous. Cancer treatment is huge business for them.

Interesting isn't it.

They have a long way to go according to those quoted in the article. But if this works, it will cost Big Pharma billions of dollars.

PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2014 11:49 am 

mayo clinic must have hired a chiropractor

Frank Coztansa wrote:
I have MANY years of experience in trying to appreciate steaming piles of dogshit.

PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2014 11:51 am 

pizza_Place: Angelo's Pizza in Downers Grove
Why would anyone want to eat cured cancer?

PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2014 11:59 am 

pizza_Place: Papa Johns
Seacrest wrote:
Scorehead wrote:
rogers park bryan wrote:
badrogue17 wrote:

Interesting isn't it.

They have a long way to go according to those quoted in the article. But if this works, it will cost Big Pharma billions of dollars.

They'll fight for lucrative liscensing rights and then someone will have to manufacture it.

And when we say "Big Pharma" which companies are we talking about? Not all of them are in the cancer market.

PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2014 12:13 pm 

pizza_Place: Charlie Fox's / Paisano's
SomeGuy wrote:
And when we say "Big Pharma" ...

.... it's generally an indicator that the speaker doesn't actually know what they're talking about with any degree of specificity (similar to using the word "toxins" as though it has any real meaning).

PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2014 12:16 pm 

Big Chicagoan wrote:
Why would anyone want to eat cured cancer?

I find cancer to be the most sensual of the salted, cured diseases.

<º)))><

PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2014 12:35 pm 
Site Admin

pizza_Place: Malnati's
Seacrest wrote:
Scorehead wrote:
rogers park bryan wrote:
badrogue17 wrote:

Interesting isn't it.

SomeGuy wrote:
They'll fight for lucrative liscensing rights and then someone will have to manufacture it.

And when we say "Big Pharma" which companies are we talking about? Not all of them are in the cancer market.

The measles vaccine is already licensed to Merck and GlaxoSmithKline in this country.

Big Pharma is commonly used term that encompasses the 12 largest drug manufacturers in this country. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_ph ... _companies

The National Institutes of Health estimated the overall costs of cancer in 2010 at $263.8 billion, of which $102.8 billion was for direct medical costs (total of all health expenditures).

Oncology drugs are now the best-selling class of drug, having surpassed lipid regulators. Last year, oncologic drugs had annual sales in the United States of $19.2 billion, according to figures from IMS Health (Plymouth Meeting, Pennsylvania). Sales have increased more than 4-fold in the past 10 years, from less than $5 billion in 1998 to the current level.

So if the measles vaccine is successful in defeating cancer, then the billions of annual spending on chemo treatments would evaporate eventually.

PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2014 12:42 pm 

pizza_Place: Jimmy's Place
Big Pharmio!

PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2014 1:53 pm 

pizza_Place: Aurelios
Mayo.... what can't it do?

PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2014 1:57 pm 
100000 CLUB

pizza_Place: Vito & Nick's
Hank Scorpio wrote:
It can't make a burger taste better, that's for damn sure.

There will never be an effective vaccine. I'll never get one anyway.

PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2014 2:01 pm 

Frank Coztansa wrote:
Hank Scorpio wrote:
It can't make a burger taste better, that's for damn sure.

PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2014 6:58 pm 

Hank Scorpio wrote:

get a rebound...make a tackle...