It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 11:14 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 275 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
 Post subject: Re: SCOTUS
PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2014 10:36 pm 

pizza_Place: World Famous Pizza
Makalu G wrote:
My health care will pay for glasses but not contacts. I may be over simplifying this issue, but it strikes me as a valid comparison. Your (hypothetical) form of birth control isn't covered under your company's policy. In my world... to bad, so sad. If I'm that adamant, maybe I shouldn't be working for a company so diametrically opposite to my world view...

Up until yesterday Hobby Lobby was legally required to provide those forms of birth control and today they don't have to because doing so apparently violates their religious freedoms.

If you've been reading what I've been writing here I don't see how Hobby Lobby's religious freedoms are violated (or are even implicated) by being required to provide a form of birth control that does not destroy a fertilized egg.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2014 11:03 pm 

pizza_Place: Chicago Pizza and Oven Grinders
SpiralStairs wrote:
Makalu G wrote:
My health care will pay for glasses but not contacts. I may be over simplifying this issue, but it strikes me as a valid comparison. Your (hypothetical) form of birth control isn't covered under your company's policy. In my world... to bad, so sad. If I'm that adamant, maybe I shouldn't be working for a company so diametrically opposite to my world view...

Up until yesterday Hobby Lobby was legally required to provide those forms of birth control and today they don't have to because doing so apparently violates their religious freedoms.

If you've been reading what I've been writing here I don't see how Hobby Lobby's religious freedoms are violated (or are even implicated) by being required to provide a form of birth control that does not destroy a fertilized egg.

LOL! "If you've been reading what I wrote"

I'm not arguing the ambiguity of the specifics, I'm just bothered by the idea of negotiated "company prvoided benefits" not meeting some arbitrary standard. Maybe it's law now, but I always thought health care was a benefit not a legal obligation.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2014 11:06 pm 

That's cool. I thought we were discussing the Hobby Lobby ruling in this thread though.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2014 11:09 pm 

SpiralStairs wrote:
That's cool. I thought we were discussing the Hobby Lobby ruling in this thread though.

? How did I digress from the "topic"?

PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2014 11:09 pm 

Double

PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2014 11:19 pm 

Makalu G wrote:
SpiralStairs wrote:

? How did I digress from the "topic"?

Maybe I missed it

Quote:
Maybe it's law now, but I always thought health care was a benefit not a legal obligation.

For a time it was, then a law was passed that made heath care coverage a legal obligation. Thereafter Hobby Lobby challenged the law on the basis that their obligation to provide certain forms of birth control violated their religious freedoms. The Supreme Court agreed and they are no longer required to provide those forms of birth control.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2014 10:00 am 
Site Admin

pizza_Place: Malnati's
SpiralStairs wrote:
Darkside wrote:
SpiralStairs wrote:
Here's what I can't understand. Hobby Lobby's chief complaint was that being required to provide IUD's and Plan B would violate their religious freedom. But at the same time Hobby Lobby doesn't have an issue with covering vasectomies under their health insurance plan. Granted their not being required to cover vasectomies but that merely begs the question of why one type of birth control is okay but another is not.

Solid post. I have no fucking clue. Honestly, and this isn't meant to be mean, but Catholics confuse the shit out of me.

Maybe Seacrest can shed some light on this.

Are you looking for the Catholic Church's teachings on birth control Spiral?

PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2014 11:02 am 

Seacrest wrote:
SpiralStairs wrote:
Darkside wrote:
SpiralStairs wrote:
Here's what I can't understand. Hobby Lobby's chief complaint was that being required to provide IUD's and Plan B would violate their religious freedom. But at the same time Hobby Lobby doesn't have an issue with covering vasectomies under their health insurance plan. Granted their not being required to cover vasectomies but that merely begs the question of why one type of birth control is okay but another is not.

Solid post. I have no fucking clue. Honestly, and this isn't meant to be mean, but Catholics confuse the shit out of me.

I could see why Catholics would have an issue with being required to cover any form of birth control, but Hobby Lobby is not a Catholic organization. Since IUDs and Plan B do not destroy fertilized eggs (ie. living human beings according to them) I don't see why Hobby Lobby would have an issue with being required to cover them under Obamacare.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2014 12:07 pm 

pizza_Place: Charlie Fox's / Paisano's
Chus wrote:
Nor does Hobby Lobby have an issue buying cheap goods from China, where there are many state forced abortions.

Yeah, but that's a bunch of godless Chink fetuses (fetii ?) .... they probably think it's kinda like controlling the pet population.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2014 12:09 pm 
Site Admin

Seacrest wrote:
SpiralStairs wrote:
Darkside wrote:
SpiralStairs wrote:

SpiralStairs wrote:
I could see why Catholics would have an issue with being required to cover any form of birth control, but Hobby Lobby is not a Catholic organization. Since IUDs and Plan B do not destroy fertilized eggs (ie. living human beings according to them) I don't see why Hobby Lobby would have an issue with being required to cover them under Obamacare.

In some instances, Plan B can destroy a fertilized egg.

I believe that is the issue that Hobby Lobby has with it.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2014 12:10 pm 

Seacrest wrote:
Does it keep Hobby Lobby up at night? Is Hobby Lobby afraid it won't get into Heaven?

PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2014 12:15 pm 
Site Admin

Boilermaker Rick wrote:
Seacrest wrote:
Does it keep Hobby Lobby up at night? Is Hobby Lobby afraid it won't get into Heaven?

Do you realize who you are pandering to when you post things like this?

PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2014 12:17 pm 

Seacrest wrote:
Boilermaker Rick wrote:
Seacrest wrote:

Do you realize who you are pandering to when you post things like this?
Anyone with a brain who realizes that Hobby Lobby doesn't have feelings?

PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2014 12:32 pm 

How is the egg destroyed? That is to say, by what process does Plan B or an IUD destroy an egg? Do hormones within the medication "kill" the egg or is fertilization prevented by some other means?

PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2014 12:37 pm 
Site Admin

SpiralStairs wrote:
How is the egg destroyed? That is to say, by what process does Plan B or an IUD destroy an egg? Do hormones within the medication "kill" the egg or is fertilization prevented by some other means?

Plan B One-Step works like other birth control pills to prevent pregnancy. The drug acts primarily by stopping the release of an egg from the ovary. It may prevent a sperm from fertilizing the egg. If fertilization does occur, Plan B One-Step may prevent a fertilized egg from attaching to the womb.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2014 12:39 pm 

pizza_Place: Pizza Cucina
Life begins the moment you think about sex. I create life like 100 times a day.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2014 12:40 pm 

pizza_Place: Milano's
i love semantics....

PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2014 12:41 pm 
Site Admin

leashyourkids wrote:

Science has been in disagreement with you since Hippocrates.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2014 12:48 pm 

leashyourkids wrote:

eww...that is a lot of kleenex

PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2014 12:48 pm 

pizza_Place: Pizza Cucina
Seacrest wrote:
leashyourkids wrote:

Science has been in disagreement with you since Hippocrates.

Who cares what that old hippie thought?

PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2014 12:50 pm 

Seacrest wrote:
SpiralStairs wrote:

Plan B One-Step works like other birth control pills to prevent pregnancy. The drug acts primarily by stopping the release of an egg from the ovary. It may prevent a sperm from fertilizing the egg. If fertilization does occur, Plan B One-Step may prevent a fertilized egg from attaching to the womb.

So it's not clear whether or not Plan-B actually destroys a fertilized egg. Instead it looks like Plan-B might prevent a fertilized egg from remaining in the womb. If that's the case why cover any medication that is potentially harmful to a fertilized egg?

PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2014 1:06 pm 
Site Admin

SpiralStairs wrote:
Seacrest wrote:
SpiralStairs wrote:

So it's not clear whether or not Plan-B actually destroys a fertilized egg. Instead it looks like Plan-B might prevent a fertilized egg from remaining in the womb. If that's the case why cover any medication that is potentially harmful to a fertilized egg?

That's an excellent question.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2014 1:07 pm 
Site Admin

Bagels wrote:
i love semantics....

Please explain.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2014 1:13 pm 

pizza_Place: Papa Johns
SpiralStairs wrote:
Seacrest wrote:
SpiralStairs wrote:

The question would be: What happens to that fertilized egg after it has been prevented from remaining in the womb?

PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2014 1:24 pm 
100000 CLUB

pizza_Place: Vito & Nick's
SomeGuy wrote:
What happens to that fertilized egg after it has been prevented from remaining in the womb?
Let this not be confused with the many eggs that are devoured by The Organization That Eats & Then Rates Breakfasts.

There will never be an effective vaccine. I'll never get one anyway.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2014 1:27 pm 
Site Admin

SpiralStairs wrote:
Seacrest wrote:
SpiralStairs wrote:

SomeGuy wrote:
The question would be: What happens to that fertilized egg after it has been prevented from remaining in the womb?

My guess would be that it would be gone with the next menstrual cycle.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2014 2:03 pm 

Seacrest wrote:
SpiralStairs wrote:
Seacrest wrote:
SpiralStairs wrote:

That's an excellent question.

Except Hobby Lobby only focused on contraceptives that may prevent a fertilized egg from attaching to the womb. They don't seem all that concerned about non-contraceptive medication that poses a potential threat to fertilized eggs.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2014 3:00 pm 

pizza_Place: Al's Pizza
Hobby Lobby Invested In Numerous Abortion And Contraception Products While Claiming Religious Objection

http://www.forbes.com/sites/rickungar/2 ... objection/

<º)))><

Waiting for the time when I can finally say
That this has all been wonderful, but now I'm on my way

PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2014 3:17 pm 

The First Commandment of the Hypocrite: "Do as I sayeth, not as I do"

PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2014 3:21 pm 

pizza_Place: Papa Johns
Chus wrote:
Hobby Lobby Invested In Numerous Abortion And Contraception Products While Claiming Religious Objection

http://www.forbes.com/sites/rickungar/2 ... objection/

Looks like dem corporate devila aint walkin duh walk.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 275 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next