It is currently Fri Jun 07, 2024 6:57 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Dave Dombrowski
PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2014 10:34 am 

http://detroit.cbslocal.com/2014/08/01/dave-dombrowski-texts-billy-beane-you-have-1-minute-to-acquire-chris-sale/

Dave Dombrowski Texts Billy Beane ‘You Have 1 Minute To Acquire Chris Sale’

The trade deadline in baseball is amazing. The day started with the Oakland A’s getting Jon Lester and Jonny Gomes for Yoenis Cespedes. With that blockbuster trade, it was hard to think any team could top that.
Then boom! It happened — Dave Dombrowski did it again. The Tigers acquired left-handed starter and 2012 Cy Young Award winner David Price for Austin Jackson and Drew Smyly. To me, it didn’t seem like the Tigers gave up too much for the best lefty in the AL.
Here is where Dave Dombrowski trumped the A’s GM Billy Beane. According to the Oakland A’s beat writer for MLB.com, Jane Lee, Dombrowski texted Beane saying, “you have one minute to acquire Chris Sale.”

To me, this is hilarious. Way to go Dave, not only did you pull of the move of the year, in my opinion, but you got to rub it into Beane’s face.

Post subject: Re: Dave Dombrowski
PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2014 10:44 am 

pizza_Place: how many planets have a chicago?
that dude was director of player development for the expos before that whole 1994 thing made everybody go "holy shit, they know what the fuck they're doing!"

it's like showing up your gothy industrial friends by playing a throbbing gristle tape, and while they make faces about how awful the music is you're like "b-b-b-but dude they coined the term industrial music for industrial people! where do you think it came from!" so then you reach a compromise as everyone agrees psychic tv was just "ok."

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2014 10:55 am 
Site Admin

pizza_Place: Aurelio's
The Sox let him get away so they could give their job to Kenny Williams. Where are Aggravated Bob and bigfan?

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2014 11:07 am 
Site Admin

pizza_Place: Malnati's
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
The Sox let him get away so they could give their job to Kenny Williams. Where are Aggravated Bob and bigfan?

Word.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2014 11:13 am 

pizza_Place: Generic Pizza Store
that's pretty funny.... but what would be most funny would be if neither the A's or the Tigers make it to the WS

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2014 11:23 am 
Site Admin

pizza_Place: Malnati's
billypootons wrote:
that's pretty funny.... but what would be most funny would be if neither the A's or the Tigers make it to the WS

One of the won't for sure.

I bet the Tigers will be that team.

Price's play off stats are decidedly underwhelming.

http://espn.go.com/mlb/player/stats/_/i ... avid-price

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2014 11:24 am 

Seacrest wrote:
billypootons wrote:

One of the won't for sure.

I bet the Tigers will be that team.

Price's play off stats are decidedly underwhelming.

http://espn.go.com/mlb/player/stats/_/i ... avid-price

Well they arent winning it

http://score670.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?f=92&t=87768

PostPosted: Sat Aug 02, 2014 9:02 am 

People had the ethnic heritage of really smart management wrong for all this time

PostPosted: Sat Aug 02, 2014 9:32 am 

Dombrowski was let go by the Sox in 1986 while Kenny was a 22 yr old hitting .129. Don't let the facts get in the way of a good narrative.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 02, 2014 10:16 am 
Site Admin

Keyser Soze wrote:
Dombrowski was let go by the Sox in 1986 while Kenny was a 22 yr old hitting .129. Don't let the facts get in the way of a good narrative.

So what? They still dumped Dombrowski so they could hire Williams. Just like they fired LaRussa and hired Bevington. Make Hawk the GM again. He wants to try a 4 man rotation.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 02, 2014 10:25 am 
100000 CLUB

pizza_Place: 773-684-2222
Who has won more WS in the last 15 year?

If you guessed Kenny Williams you are right. #WhiteSox

Blago: https://youtube.com/shorts/Lftdxd-YXt8?feature=share

"You can’t love your country only when you win." -President Biden

https://youtu.be/R6e4ruziZBI?si=1G4W1vbh0eGQuHfU

PostPosted: Sat Aug 02, 2014 11:39 am 
1000 CLUB

pizza_Place: Zaffiro's
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
Keyser Soze wrote:

So what? They still dumped Dombrowski so they could hire Williams. Just like they fired LaRussa and hired Bevington. Make Hawk the GM again. He wants to try a 4 man rotation.

What the Hell are you talking about? Dombrowski wasn't replaced by Williams. Williams' playing career didn't conclude until the early 90s, long after Dombrowski's departure from the Sox. Dombrowski's termination and Williams' hire are entirely unrelated.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 02, 2014 11:43 am 
Site Admin

It's about the quality of people they choose to put in charge vs. the ones they let go. Is it hard to understand? Fanboys! HOOTERVILLE!

PostPosted: Sat Aug 02, 2014 11:56 am 

pizza_Place: Lou Malanati's
I do love that some people actually do get upset (Keyser and TM) that JORR even mentioned this as if it was a choice between KW and DD. That was never the point JORR was making.

All some Sox fans know is that KW was the GM in title, so he must have been the reason they won. If that is what you choose to think, then so be it.

Thank god Kenny found you guys Jose Abreu, without Kenny that also would have never happened. Go ahead, just ask him.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 02, 2014 11:57 am 
1000 CLUB

Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
It's about the quality of people they choose to put in charge vs. the ones they let go. Is it hard to understand? Fanboys! HOOTERVILLE!

Huh? The quality of the Sox organization has nothing to do with your original claim. You were drawing a causal relationship between the Dombrowski firing and the Williams hiring; such a relationship does not exist.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 02, 2014 12:02 pm 

pizza_Place: Lou Malnatis
The "You have one minute to acquire Chris Sale" line is pretty great.

To rock my soul

PostPosted: Sat Aug 02, 2014 12:03 pm 
1000 CLUB

bigfan wrote:
I do love that some people actually do get upset (Keyser and TM) that JORR even mentioned this as if it was a choice between KW and DD. That was never the point JORR was making.

All some Sox fans know is that KW was the GM in title, so he must have been the reason they won. If that is what you choose to think, then so be it.

Thank god Kenny found you guys Jose Abreu, without Kenny that also would have never happened. Go ahead, just ask him.

Go back and read his original post. That's exactly the point he was making. And it is factually incorrect.

I attribute much of Kenny's fleeting success as a general manager to Ozzie's input. Unfortunately, Ozzie's level of megalomaniacal insanity grew exponentially following 2005 and undermined his baseball acumen. This also meant that Ozzie's influence on Kenny waned, leaving Kenny to rely on his own deeply flawed counsel when it came to baseball matters.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 02, 2014 12:04 pm 
100000 CLUB

pizza_Place: 773-684-2222
Kenny Williams put together a WS team and teams that competed ever season. A of this was accomplished on a limited budget.

Blago: https://youtube.com/shorts/Lftdxd-YXt8?feature=share

"You can’t love your country only when you win." -President Biden

https://youtu.be/R6e4ruziZBI?si=1G4W1vbh0eGQuHfU

PostPosted: Sat Aug 02, 2014 12:06 pm 

Tall Midget wrote:

I attribute much of Kenny's fleeting success as a general manager to Ozzie's input. .

YOU ARE 100% CORRECT SIR!

PostPosted: Sat Aug 02, 2014 12:08 pm 
1000 CLUB

bigfan wrote:
Tall Midget wrote:

I attribute much of Kenny's fleeting success as a general manager to Ozzie's input. .

YOU ARE 100% CORRECT SIR!

The guy may be crazy, but I do believe that Ozzie is a baseball genius. If his ego is no longer out of control, I would love to see him back in the Sox organization.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 02, 2014 12:12 pm 
Site Admin

Tall Midget wrote:
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:

Huh? The quality of the Sox organization has nothing to do with your original claim. You were drawing a causal relationship between the Dombrowski firing and the Williams hiring; such a relationship does not exist.

No, I'm saying when you consistently get rid of elite guys and keep ordinary ones, there's a problem.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 02, 2014 12:16 pm 
1000 CLUB

Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
Tall Midget wrote:
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:

No, I'm saying when you consistently get rid of elite guys and keep ordinary ones, there's a problem.

Who are the elite guys the Sox have consistently purged from the organization?

PostPosted: Sat Aug 02, 2014 12:18 pm 

Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
Tall Midget wrote:
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:

Matters who you ask. Jerry rarely sees them as Elite or not Elite. He sees guys he just likes (Farmer and Hawk) and guys he doesnt like (Ray Clay, Dan Evans, most agents). Hahn is a case, where he knew the game was about to get away from him in terms of stats and advanced matrics, Hahn was the contract guy for the last 5 years and knew the numbers and if he didnt give him the job Hahn was going to be a GM elsewhere.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 02, 2014 12:22 pm 
Site Admin

Tall Midget wrote:
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
Tall Midget wrote:
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:

Who are the elite guys the Sox have consistently purged from the organization?

LaRussa, Dombrowski and Hemond for starters. Some people would say Leyland. They keep Jerry ass-kissers under their "loyalty" program. You go far in a Reinsdorf org by kissing Jerry's ass.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 02, 2014 12:24 pm 
Site Admin

bigfan wrote:
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
Tall Midget wrote:
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:

Matters who you ask. Jerry rarely sees them as Elite or not Elite. He sees guys he just likes (Farmer and Hawk) and guys he doesnt like (Ray Clay, Dan Evans, most agents). Hahn is a case, where he knew the game was about to get away from him in terms of stats and advanced matrics, Hahn was the contract guy for the last 5 years and knew the numbers and if he didnt give him the job Hahn was going to be a GM elsewhere.

I won't complain about Evans but he was probably more deserving than Kenny at the time.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 02, 2014 12:33 pm 
1000 CLUB

Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:

LaRussa, Dombrowski and Hemond for starters. Some people would say Leyland. They keep Jerry ass-kissers under their "loyalty" program. You go far in a Reinsdorf org by kissing Jerry's ass.

You're talking about things that happened 20+ years ago, when Reinsdorf let Hawk take control of the franchise. He corrected that mistake rather quickly. Where is the evidence of a sustained pattern of purging "elite" talent within the Sox organization?

PostPosted: Sat Aug 02, 2014 12:39 pm 

Evans spent 4-5 years being groomed as the Asst GM, Kenny was the director of minor league bribery and kickbacks.

Imagine if your the Asst GM at the local Piggly Wiggly. You worked there for 20 years. You have been groomed to be the GM.

Then afer 21 years, the GM announces his retirement and the CEO steps and says the head cashier is going to be the GM and you are fired.

That story though doesnt get out as much as the "Pay Jay Williams after the accident or pay for Bill cartwright" from the vast coffeurs of the chicago bulls.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 02, 2014 12:41 pm 
Site Admin

Tall Midget wrote:
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:

You're talking about things that happened 20+ years ago, when Reinsdorf let Hawk take control of the franchise. He corrected that mistake rather quickly. Where is the evidence of a sustained pattern of purging "elite" talent within the Sox organization?

Where is the elite talent? There are a bunch of yes men. He'll probably let Williams run Hahn off eventually. Maybe make Darryl Boston the GM.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 02, 2014 12:45 pm 

bigfan wrote:
Evans spent 4-5 years being groomed as the Asst GM, Kenny was the director of minor league bribery and kickbacks.

Imagine if your the Asst GM at the local Piggly Wiggly. You worked there for 20 years. You have been groomed to be the GM.

Then afer 21 years, the GM announces his retirement and the CEO steps and says the head cashier is going to be the GM and you are fired.

That story though doesnt get out as much as the "Pay Jay Williams after the accident or pay for Bill cartwright" from the vast coffeurs of the chicago bulls.

What's Dan Evans doing these days besides stealing money from people for a bullshit on-line scout school?

PostPosted: Sat Aug 02, 2014 12:47 pm 

Hahn is well entrenched and even more than Kenny at this point. Kenny is like Jerrys personal pitbull, but if Push came to shove, Hahn could get Kenny out, which was why kenny was "promoted" in the first place, too bad kenny doesnt know that.