It is currently Wed May 01, 2024 1:08 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2014 11:42 am 

pizza_Place: how many planets have a chicago?
i'm fortunate enough to live in a neighborhood where as of right now in a one square block radius there's 3 new suburban-palacial houses going up in place of freshly-demolished centex-inspired 1st-gen-suburban homes from the 1950s. most recently our neighbor has decided to take the plunge and build a new house in place of the vintage one, bringing the sights and sounds of gentrification front and center to my day-to-day life.

during a cigarette i got to talk to the guy who was operating the excavator (which in and of itself is a word worthy of my operation) and i told him that i could use a fun job so how the hell do i get a job like his? (i mean, who didn't grow up as a little kid wishing they wielded the power to destroy houses?) he laughed and replied "me and my brother own the company. yeah, in fact we're not just demolishing but also building all three houses on your block" * dignified nod *

so while i'm sure the guy isn't going to rest on his laurels during all of the construction and rah rah rah, i still think you've got life pretty much figured out when you're raking in the cash and able to say "i wanna be the guy who destroys the houses" and nobody's going to step in the way of your childlike dream to grow up and be a fucking astronaut, you know what i'm saying?

so while i'm still getting used to the seismic activity that you dont foresee coming with one of these demolition jobs, i'm tipping my cap to the guy next door operating the excavator for being a living breathing embodiment of social change and progress. i'll be damned if for my whole life there wasn't a house next door that managed to simply disappear from this plane of existence in approximately an hour once this guy showed up wielding a power usually reserved for the gods. all hail the almighty job creator!

PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2014 12:01 pm 

pizza_Place: Warren Buffet of Cock
Ty Webb: You take drugs, Danny?

Danny Noonan: Every day.

Ty Webb: Good. Then what's your problem?

Danny Noonan: I don't know.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2014 12:02 pm 

Location: Pearl Harbor, Waukesha, and other things that make no sense
pizza_Place: Lou Malnati's
sinicalypse wrote:
i'm fortunate enough to live in a neighborhood where as of right now in a one square block radius there's 3 new suburban-palacial houses going up in place of freshly-demolished centex-inspired 1st-gen-suburban homes from the 1950s.

I hate that. It's so garish. Same thing's happening to my grandma's neighborhood in Northbrook, which had retained its Kennedy-administration charm for years until some people got the big idea to tear down these rock-solid houses and slap up big gaudy McMansions that in some cases aren't just out-of-context opulence but almost some kind of architectural practical joke.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2014 12:04 pm 

Curious Hair wrote:
sinicalypse wrote:
i'm fortunate enough to live in a neighborhood where as of right now in a one square block radius there's 3 new suburban-palacial houses going up in place of freshly-demolished centex-inspired 1st-gen-suburban homes from the 1950s.

I hate that. It's so garish. Same thing's happening to my grandma's neighborhood in Northbrook, which had retained its Kennedy-administration charm for years until some people got the big idea to tear down these rock-solid houses and slap up big gaudy McMansions that in some cases aren't just out-of-context opulence but almost some kind of architectural practical joke.

I never understood wanting your home to fill up 90% of the lot. The homes look so out of place.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2014 12:08 pm 

It'd be fine if they went deep on the lot and eliminated pesky back yard to cut, but having your wall be dong's-length from your neighbor's wall is the sort of thing you move to the suburbs to avoid, am I right?

PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2014 12:15 pm 

Curious Hair wrote:
sinicalypse wrote:

you cannot live in a city built in being "better than" and then complain about people who try to outwardly exhibit it

PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2014 12:19 pm 

Curious Hair wrote:
It'd be fine if they went deep on the lot and eliminated pesky back yard to cut, but having your wall be dong's-length from your neighbor's wall is the sort of thing you move to the suburbs to avoid, am I right?

no, big side yards are nice but congregating only with people who trace their heritage east of Ireland, west of Germany and north of Italy is even better

PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2014 12:20 pm 

good dolphin wrote:
no, big side yards are nice but congregating only with people who trace their heritage east of Ireland, west of Germany and north of Italy is even better
Are you discussing your private school education here?

PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2014 12:23 pm 

Northbrook is French? I thought it was Jewish and Korean.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2014 12:26 pm 

Curious Hair wrote:
Northbrook is French? I thought it was Jewish and Korean.

Are those mutually exclusive, French Jews or Korean Jews?

PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2014 12:29 pm 

Boilermaker Rick wrote:
good dolphin wrote:
Are you discussing your private school education here?

Catholic school was incredibly affordable in my youth...like a couple hundred dollars and pay whenever you get the chance affordable

PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2014 12:30 pm 

good dolphin wrote:
Catholic school was incredibly affordable in my youth...like a couple hundred dollars and pay whenever you get the chance affordable
My guess is public school was even cheaper!

PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2014 12:31 pm 

A lot of religious schools have inexpensive tuition because the church members subsidize the school. The church leadership views the school as a mission or community outreach with which to evangelize.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2014 12:39 pm 

denisdman wrote:
A lot of religious schools have inexpensive tuition because the church members subsidize the school. The church leadership views the school as a mission or community outreach with which to evangelize.

I'm on board with this except for the evangelization part. I believe catholic school should be looked at as a right, not a luxury, for catholic children of a diocese (or parish on a micro level).

I believe the Wichita diocese has free education for Catholics.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2014 12:41 pm 
100000 CLUB

pizza_Place: Vito & Nick's
good dolphin wrote:
you cannot live in a city built in being "better than" and then complain about people who try to outwardly exhibit it
Can you live in a city built on rock and roll?

There will never be an effective vaccine. I'll never get one anyway.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2014 3:32 pm 

pizza_Place: Lou Malanati's
sinicalypse wrote:
i'm fortunate enough to live in a neighborhood where as of right now in a one square block radius there's 3 new suburban-palacial houses going up in place of freshly-demolished centex-inspired 1st-gen-suburban homes from the 1950s. most recently our neighbor has decided to take the plunge and build a new house in place of the vintage one, bringing the sights and sounds of gentrification front and center to my day-to-day life.

during a cigarette i got to talk to the guy who was operating the excavator (which in and of itself is a word worthy of my operation) and i told him that i could use a fun job so how the hell do i get a job like his? (i mean, who didn't grow up as a little kid wishing they wielded the power to destroy houses?) he laughed and replied "me and my brother own the company. yeah, in fact we're not just demolishing but also building all three houses on your block" * dignified nod *

so while i'm sure the guy isn't going to rest on his laurels during all of the construction and rah rah rah, i still think you've got life pretty much figured out when you're raking in the cash and able to say "i wanna be the guy who destroys the houses" and nobody's going to step in the way of your childlike dream to grow up and be a fucking astronaut, you know what i'm saying?

so while i'm still getting used to the seismic activity that you dont foresee coming with one of these demolition jobs, i'm tipping my cap to the guy next door operating the excavator for being a living breathing embodiment of social change and progress. i'll be damned if for my whole life there wasn't a house next door that managed to simply disappear from this plane of existence in approximately an hour once this guy showed up wielding a power usually reserved for the gods. all hail the almighty job creator!

As a Part time licensed, insured and bonded excavator operator, it gets boring after 20 minutes. It was fun the first time, then occasionally there was stuff I wanted done or moved and I got in the machine and did stuff, but just moving the damn thing 20 feet shakes you enough for the day.

FYI, the demo and excavation guys are making a small fortune these days. Takes a big wad of insurance money to have one of these companies in the city, thus only a few around.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2014 3:49 pm 

pizza_Place: Positanos on 55th Street

PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2014 3:53 pm 

Matches Malone wrote:

Inspired Sini to get a high paying machine operator job?

PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2014 3:57 pm 

pizza_Place: Positanos on 55th Street
bigfan wrote:
Inspired Sini to get a high paying machine operator job?

I hope everyone can get a high paying job. It was in reference to the coolest job on earth title.

Harry Dunne: [a large bus full of gorgeous women in bikinis pull up beside them and three step out]

Bikini Girl: Hi guys. We're going on a national bikini tour, and we're looking for two oil boys who can grease us off before each competition.

Lloyd Christmas: You are in luck! There's a town about three miles that way. I'm sure you'll find a couple guys there.

Bikini Girl: [baffled] Okay, thanks.

[the doors close and the bus drives off. After a second, Lloyd turns to Harry]

Harry Dunne: Do you realize what you've done?

[they run after the bus]

Harry Dunne: HEY! HEY!

Lloyd Christmas: Lloyd! Lloyd!

[the bus stops and opens the doors]

Harry Dunne: [panting] You'll have to excuse my friend. He's a little slow. The town is back *that* way.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2014 4:34 pm 

Didnt see it.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2014 4:50 pm 

bigfan wrote:
sinicalypse wrote:

As a Part time licensed, insured and bonded excavator operator, it gets boring after 20 minutes. It was fun the first time, then occasionally there was stuff I wanted done or moved and I got in the machine and did stuff, but just moving the damn thing 20 feet shakes you enough for the day.

FYI, the demo and excavation guys are making a small fortune these days. Takes a big wad of insurance money to have one of these companies in the city, thus only a few around.

What was the most interesting thing you found/uncovered during your demolition or pre demolition walk through of a home

PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2014 5:16 pm 

pizza_Place: 1. Homemade 2. Jewels
Curious Hair wrote:
sinicalypse wrote:

She must be in or near my sister's neighborhood. Some of those houses look like Miami Vice houses. And at night they are lit up like the Bellagio.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2014 5:33 pm 

Had a building, with a studio apartment in the attic apt. Never met the guy, left him notes saying to be out. Door had padlocks on it.

left all the legal notices, would come by at night, nobody would answer.

Finally 1 week before demolition, as I knew the power was going to be cut, we busted in and found a stash of Pills. Had to be 500 of those pills jars all filled.

called the cops, they staked the place out, waited for him to come back and got him.

-digging up found some guns, cash, jewelry, old bottles as guys drank ale, beer and V8, when they worked.

I think some here would prefer the late 60's home porn pics found in the ceiling of a place.

Still have some of the ads from the newspapers used to insulate walls. "Wanna buy 1 Acre lot on Northmoor Country Club for $10 down!"

Back in those days people put stuff in the floors, walls, etc.

before you tear a place down you have guys pay you to take out the pipes, wire, etc, old floors...so i am sure they have taken some stuff.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2014 6:15 pm 
1000 CLUB

pizza_Place: Salerno's
I may be involved in Northmoor Country Clubs latest planned improvements....

PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2014 6:21 pm 

pizza_Place: Al's Pizza
bigfan wrote:
I think some here would prefer the late 60's home porn pics found in the ceiling of a place.

Hank Scorpio wrote:
You know it.

<º)))><

Waiting for the time when I can finally say
That this has all been wonderful, but now I'm on my way

PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2014 7:36 pm 

pizza_Place: Pequod's / Barnaby's
denisdman wrote:
Curious Hair wrote:
sinicalypse wrote:

I never understood wanting your home to fill up 90% of the lot. The homes look so out of place.

Less lawn to mow.

I took a horticulture class with Les Lawntomow.