It is currently Wed May 01, 2024 12:15 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Sep 26, 2014 7:50 pm 

pizza_Place: Mauries Table
Guessing most on this board haven't made it out west to Earlville...home of one of the few remaining drive-in theaters. Still a pretty cool experience - especially for kids. Running around, playing baseball, tag etc. Eating on a blanket on the ground. Watching a movie from the back of the car. Cartoons before the film. Double feature movies. Pitch black sky with a million stars. Unfortunately the digital age will soon put them out of business. If you've never been I'd highly suggest it before they become a footnote.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 26, 2014 7:53 pm 

pizza_Place: Paisan's in Cicero
73 miles from the city.....sorry Zip, I'll just have to take your word for it.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 26, 2014 8:15 pm 

pizza_Place: Pequod's / Barnaby's
spmack wrote:

Damn...it makes Plano seem close.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 26, 2014 8:52 pm 

pizza_Place: A few...
Earlville is a major speed trap.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 26, 2014 9:17 pm 

pizza_Place: Mauries Table
spmack wrote:

No sense of adventure. Tomorrow is the Grundy County Corn Festivall in Morris. Now that's livin' :D

PostPosted: Fri Sep 26, 2014 9:41 pm 

pizza_Place: Oh I'm sorry but, there's no one on the line
Mrs Newper and I took the boys to Springfield last summer for a weekend, and went to a drive in there that had two screens. It was also the 4th, so they were doing fireworks... the first movie (Minions 2) started at about 10:30, and it was a double feature with Monsters University -- but we were looking at 12:15 AM when the first movie ended so had to go to bed.

When I was at Carbondale, going to the drive in at Herrin(?) was always on my list for the weekend -- it was a double feature and I think it was only $5 a person. I'd bring my fifth of Captain, park in the smoking section, and it was cheap entertainment. They would always run ads where they said bring your blades with you (kitchen shears, knifes, lawnmower blades) and they would sharpen them while you watch. Some of the worst greasy burgers/fries etc. Then the lady would say "Roll the film, Mark Nabors." I miss the drive ins.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 26, 2014 9:46 pm 

Location: Bohemian Club Annual World Power Consolidation Conference & Golf Outing
pizza_Place: World Fluoridation Conspiracy Pizza & WINGS!
Earlville. Home of the finest people in the world.

That's also a great place to sneak in in the trunk with some beer and fight high school kids.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 26, 2014 10:03 pm 

pizza_Place: J.B. Alberto's
Went to a drive-in once when I was a ute (youth) to see Terminator 2 when it came out. Several cars around us had kids standing up through their sunroofs pointing plastic shotguns at the screen imitating that crazy twirling reload thing that Arnold does in the movie. It was pretty cool. The other feature was Silence of the Lambs, though we didn't stay for that. That was also back at a time when you had to choose between several good and a few legitimately great movies when you went to see one. Now not so much.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 27, 2014 8:08 am 

pizza_Place: Four hours away....and on fire :-(
My hometown still has a drive-in, and admissions is only $2. They've kept the food and drink prices relatively cheap too. One summer (2004, I think), I made it my goal to see every movie they had. I saw a lot of crap. Scooby Doo, 13 Going on 30, Finding Nemo, etc.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 27, 2014 10:32 am 

pizza_Place: Malnati's
Zippy-The-Pinhead wrote:
Guessing most on this board haven't made it out west to Earlville...home of one of the few remaining drive-in theaters. Still a pretty cool experience - especially for kids. Running around, playing baseball, tag etc. Eating on a blanket on the ground. Watching a movie from the back of the car. Cartoons before the film. Double feature movies. Pitch black sky with a million stars. Unfortunately the digital age will soon put them out of business. If you've never been I'd highly suggest it before they become a footnote.

Glad to see you had a good time in Earlville, Zippy. My mom's side of the family grew up in thr Serena-Earlville area.

I spent a lot of my ute with my late grandparents eating fried chicken at the now closed Manor House. Good times.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 27, 2014 3:18 pm 

pizza_Place: Paisan's in Cicero
I spent a lot of my teenage years working on Sundays for my uncle in a drive in turned flea market. Remember the one a few blocks west of Western Ave on Columbus (SW Hwy).

PostPosted: Sat Sep 27, 2014 5:35 pm 

spmack wrote:
I spent a lot of my teenage years working on Sundays for my uncle in a drive in turned flea market. Remember the one a few blocks west of Western Ave on Columbus (SW Hwy).

Swap-O-Rama?