It is currently Wed May 01, 2024 3:29 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: 1985 CHICAGO BEARS
PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2014 11:22 am 

pizza_Place: Luigi's
I was over seas serving in the Navy way before newspapers and live video streaming online. My family would record the games on VHS and save up the sports pages for the week and mail them out to me. Granted, they were two weeks old by the time I received them but those were great memories of the '85 Bears and I loved it. All the Bears fans on board would gather and we would watch weeks old games and go crazy just as if they were live!

Last edited by Godfella on Tue Dec 30, 2014 11:30 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2014 11:29 am 

pizza_Place: Drag's
Team was largely built by Jim Finks who made his bones in the CFL and then hired his CFL coach Bud Grant to help him turn the Vikes around. Bears might want to look into that blueprint.

"Smiles with Nostrils"

"...no Hmong, go find some blacks"

PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2014 11:51 am 

pizza_Place: Jobu

I will never forget this damned play.

1999-2000-2009
----------
XXI - XXV - XLII - XLVI

PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2014 12:03 pm 

pizza_Place: Aurelios
Took a bus ride from Chicago up to Greenbay a few years ago for a game up there. My work provided all the beer and food for the entire game. We watched the 85 Super bowl on the way up there. That was the highlight of the day as the Bears got smoked 30 something to 3. I was also 5 at the time of the SB victory but I remember being over at my grandparents house for the game.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2014 12:51 pm 

Location: Pearl Harbor, Waukesha, and other things that make no sense
pizza_Place: Lou Malnati's
Blows my mind that some people still argue that the 2000 Ravens had a better defense than the '85 Bears. That Baltimore team didn't even win its own division. I wasn't around for the '85 Bears, of course, but it's pretty obvious.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2014 12:52 pm 

pizza_Place: Obbies
Ricky Watts got the heave ho for having a bottle of Remy Martin in his locker. Joe Theisman's 7 yard punt.,,,,,Steve Walsh steam rolling the Cowboys ...Wilbur returning a fumble and it started snow....Never be a season like that again.

I'm out.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2014 1:00 pm 

pizza_Place: Luigi's
Curious Hair wrote:
Blows my mind that some people still argue that the 2000 Ravens had a better defense than the '85 Bears. That Baltimore team didn't even win its own division. I wasn't around for the '85 Bears, of course, but it's pretty obvious.

Pretty good article from our guy, Dan Pompei...
http://www.sportsonearth.com/article/68 ... cago-bears

PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2014 1:45 pm 

pizza_Place: Boni Vino
The fact that they filmed The Super Bowl Shuffle the day AFTER losing to Miami shows the confidence that team had.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2014 1:49 pm 

Godfella wrote:
Curious Hair wrote:

Pretty good article from our guy, Dan Pompei...
http://www.sportsonearth.com/article/68 ... cago-bears

Surprised he doesn't have the Lawrence Taylor-led Giants in the top 10.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2014 4:34 pm 

pizza_Place: Chicago Pizza and Oven Grinders
It was a magical season. We went to a Super Bowl party ($100 a square in a pool was the admission) open bar and all you could eat. The game was over by halftime and we were so trashed, we couldn't remember any if the second half, limo ride home.

Just unbelievable. My favorite team just killing it all year...

PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2014 5:01 pm 

pizza_Place: Salernos, Oak Park
Curious Hair wrote:

Not even close. 85 Bears were the best D of all time.

We don’t have a trillion-dollar debt because we haven’t taxed enough; we have a trillion-dollar debt because we spend too much. — Ronald Reagan

PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2014 8:06 pm 

Curious Hair wrote:

well they were 12-4 and only allowed 165 points all year. in the newer NFL, that's in there for all-time conversation. the eras are totally different...offenses were redefined by 2000, and the '85 Bears design would not have worked as well. for their respective eras, they were the most dominant.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2014 8:18 pm 

pizza_Place: A few...
Junior in high school.

Buddy had a party. His dad cooked ribs. Bears were amazing but it was kind of a foregone conclusion. Absolute kick ass day.

And sadly, that will more than likely be the Bears highlight of my lifetime.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2014 8:44 pm 

pizza_Place: 1. Homemade 2. Jewels
For as bad as some of the threads are on this board; between the videos and the various and diverse memories this one has been great.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2014 8:48 am 

W_Z wrote:
Curious Hair wrote:

well they were 12-4 and only allowed 165 points all year. in the newer NFL, that's in there for all-time conversation. the eras are totally different...offenses were redefined by 2000, and the '85 Bears design would not have worked as well. for their respective eras, they were the most dominant.

The Bears were clearly better over the year, but if you take each team at their peaks its probably close. The Ravens were pretty ridiculous in the second half and playoffs. They were holding teams that averaged 31 ppg to like 3 or 0

PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2014 8:53 am 
Site Admin

pizza_Place: Aurelio's
rogers park bryan wrote:
W_Z wrote:
Curious Hair wrote:

The Bears were clearly better over the year, but if you take each team at their peaks its probably close. The Ravens were pretty ridiculous in the second half and playoffs. They were holding teams that averaged 31 ppg to like 3 or 0

The difference is, the Bears actually scared people. Quarterbacks literally did not want to play against them. And that just isn't something that happens in pro sports. These guys have all been the best their entire lives. They didn't get to that top level by being afraid of anything. Fans like to talk about Gibson and Drysdale "intimidating" people. You'll even see interviews of old hitters saying how it was no fun to face them. But nobody was really scared. They got dusted and got back up and dug in again, maybe just a little less. Those Bears were one of the very few times in the history of pro sports where opposing players were truly terrified.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2014 8:56 am 

Actually I was researching this a bit yesterday and I guess there were a few stories of people being scared of the Ravens too. Corey Dillon refused to go back into a game. Many say Ray Lewis ended Eddie George's career early.

I guess I could see being scared of Ray Lewis.

Its weird though. I kinda figure there is a certain level of hard hitting that a lot of NFL players acheive and if you're a RB you're gonna feel it. Its hard to imagine a team being so much more dangerous.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2014 8:57 am 

pizza_Place: Jimmy's Place
a lot of the brutality had been outlawed by 2000.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2014 9:01 am 
Site Admin

rogers park bryan wrote:
Actually I was researching this a bit yesterday and I guess there were a few stories of people being scared of the Ravens too. Corey Dillon refused to go back into a game. Many say Ray Lewis ended Eddie George's career early.

I guess I could see being scared of Ray Lewis.

Its weird though. I kinda figure there is a certain level of hard hitting that a lot of NFL players acheive and if you're a RB you're gonna feel it. Its hard to imagine a team being so much more dangerous.

I've seen other teams like the Ravens. The Bears in '84 and '86 were kind of like that. The Steelers in the 70s were great too. It was that one year with the '85 Bears where you can't really find a comparison. They were as likely to score in any given series as the offense they were facing. It was just fucking ridiculous.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2014 9:04 am 

What the fuck happened in the Miami game?

I dont care that there was one tipped pass. That's one score.

They could have ended the 72 Dolphins shit forever.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2014 9:11 am 

Marino was unlike anything they had seen before. Caught them offguard. Perhaps it served them well later in the year, I dunno.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2014 9:12 am 
1000 CLUB

pizza_Place: Salerno's
I was in 5th grade. The Bears were bigger than the WWF, G.I. Joe, Transformers, etc...
They were EVERYTHING to a 10 year old kid and his friends. People wore their Bears gear daily. It was like when parachute pants came out...or when people starting rolling their jeans.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2014 9:14 am 
Site Admin

rogers park bryan wrote:
What the fuck happened in the Miami game?

I dont care that there was one tipped pass. That's one score.

They could have ended the 72 Dolphins shit forever.

The one weakness that Bear defense had was Richardson. He was going to end up one-on-one with either Duper or Clayton. The pass rush was so fierce that it could cover for the relatively weak Richardson most of the time. But Marino got rid of the ball so damn quick.

Also, I think the Bears at that point probably thought they could just show up and kick the shit out of anyone. I think they were coming off a couple shutouts. It was loud as fuck on that Monday night down there and then you had Ditka and Buddy beefing on each other right in the middle of the game.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2014 9:15 am 

plus Fuller really was a shitty QB. as we saw time and time again from 1984-1987, when McMahon didn't play, they were in deep shit against a decent opponent.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2014 9:19 am 
Site Admin

Hatchetman wrote:
plus Fuller really was a shitty QB. as we saw time and time again from 1984-1987, when McMahon didn't play, they were in deep shit against a decent opponent.

He had a pretty good season that year though. 24 should have been enough to win that game.

Didn't Buddy refuse to adjust the defense and Ditka was screaming at him to change the coverages and threatened to take over the defense and Buddy told him to fuck off?

PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2014 9:20 am 
1000 CLUB

pizza_Place: Salerno's
That seems right JORR.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2014 9:23 am 

Location: Pearl Harbor, Waukesha, and other things that make no sense
pizza_Place: Lou Malnati's
The Chicago Bears even refused to make halftime adjustments in their Super Bowl year.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2014 9:30 am 

I believe (and this was according to Ditka) was that Ryan had Wilber Marshall trying to cover the Dolphins third wide receiver Nat Moore. Ditka wanted another defensive back on the field.

The Dolphins had the right idea to attack the Bears blitzing defense. Most teams kept backs and tight ends in to help block, which meant the Bears blitzed more people. The Dolphins went 3 wide receivers and opened things up. A HOF qb helped too.

The most remarkable stat from the '85 playoffs is that the Bears defense outscored the opponents 16-10 (and that is not including the Landeta botched punt.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2014 11:11 am 

Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
But Marino got rid of the ball so damn quick.

I think that was the key...probably the quickest release ever. Would have been interesting to see what would've happened if the Dolphins had made it to the SB.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2014 1:48 pm 

Jaw Breaker wrote:
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
But Marino got rid of the ball so damn quick.

I think that was the key...probably the quickest release ever. Would have been interesting to see what would've happened if the Dolphins had made it to the SB.

If they couldn't get past the Patriots in the playoffs, the Bears would have rolled them too.

The revenge factor alone and that defense would have crushed them

Frank Coztansa wrote:
I have MANY years of experience in trying to appreciate steaming piles of dogshit.