It is currently Tue Apr 30, 2024 11:48 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: WSCR
PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2015 9:45 am 

pizza_Place: Lou Malanati's
23 years old oday, per Danny Mac.

Thought they would mention something on the air?

Mitch giving out kisses today!

Post subject: Re: WSCR
PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2015 11:07 am 

it was old enough to buy cigs and fuck adults 5 years ago... and was old enough to drink two years ago... what the hell do you celebrate 23 for?

PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2015 11:27 am 

pizza_Place: Al's Pizza
IkeSouth wrote:
what the hell do you celebrate 23 for?

<º)))><

Waiting for the time when I can finally say
That this has all been wonderful, but now I'm on my way

PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2015 11:36 am 

pizza_Place: giordanos
Chus wrote:
IkeSouth wrote:
what the hell do you celebrate 23 for?

:lol:

PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2015 2:13 pm 

PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2015 3:00 pm 

Should have more guys on that dont know the history of the Score and spend time mocking it. Good idea!

Wayne "Too Cool for the Room" Randazzo

PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2015 3:03 pm 

Location: Pearl Harbor, Waukesha, and other things that make no sense
pizza_Place: Lou Malnati's
Happy birthday, The Score! Your evening show producer thinks you sucked.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2015 3:40 pm 

pizza_Place: Mauries Table
bigfan wrote:
23 years old oday, per Danny Mac.

Thought they would mention something on the air?

Mitch giving out kisses today!

Rosenbloom talked about it when they came on the air this morning (following the CBS national broadcast @ 7:00 am...thank God).

PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2015 3:52 pm 

pizza_Place: how many planets have a chicago?
it's another one of those stories where the score started off as the plucky little underdog ("who wants to talk about sports all day?") and did its thing to establish the legend, and is now part of a giant media conglomerate (CBS/viacom/whoever) and is so established that their #1 guy aka FACE OF THE STATION (FOTS) can literally sit around on the station's flagship show and tell everyone to go fuck themselves all day long and there's no consequences for that.

if the early-mid 90s score had a mantra of "we're only talking to you because we HAVE to" it'd never have become the chicagoland radio institution that it became. it was able to build up enough good will with us that even when self-proclaimed "scoreheads" don't really like any of the daily shows all that much they still have 670AM as their default radio position throughout the day. that says something about just how much the original format/station/lineup/etc worked. now the station is only "the voice of the fan" because the big voice guy proclaims it as such when he does bumpers/commercials/idents/etc. back then it WAS the voice of the fan, especially when 2 of its original hosts (mike north, mike murphy) were essentially fans with no sports journalism credentials and at least murph went out of his way to make you feel good about calling in. if you had a clue of what you were talking about he'd coddle you, compliment you, and outright tell you to call back soon / don't be a stranger.

now? as CH has pointed out countless times over the years the station is the voice of the owners/REALLY.SMART.PEOPLE. who run the teams. sports talk radio is seen as a promotional wing for the franchises and a device used to disseminate their talking points out to the masses, a role that bernstein is extremely happy to take on because he always wanted to be on the big/business side of things as opposed to the fan side of things. maybe once upon a time a long time ago when he was a station reporter / weekend host / new-weekday-show-host he saw himself as "one of us" who made it to the airwaves and got to put on a fun/bad/gay show that didn't take itself too seriously... but once he got entrenched as FOTS in the post-north-era and ended up being the one survivor from the 90s score who never left or got kicked out at any point (as les was banished for awhile until his triumphant return, shoot around 2010 or something?) he decided that his show needed to be something more important than what it was... something that did the lord's work in gentrifying the hearts/minds/souls of the listeners into "better" fans (who were basically in lockstep with team ownership, let alone up to date on the hot social issues of the day) and that's where things changed....

and now? shit i dont think that ratings matter anymore. nobody listens to ESPN1000 and yet it's not making any major changes and trotting out the same shit every day til the end of time. b&b famously got trounced by mac in the ratings for a long time and that didnt change anything. it takes a total clusterfuck like hood and telander or hamp&holmes to actually get yanked off of the air (and replaced by somebody else who's already established in the industry) and even now that prolly wouldn't happen since the core concept of sports talk radio is profitable enough to keep on going without any ratings, welp, now it's all about focusing on the narrative and suffice to say teams now recognize the importance of having a good soldier like bernstein out there espousing your views and talking points and getting the public "on your side" so i reckon sports talk radio will continue on forever since you know if CBS/ESPN/etc didnt absorb each market's top sports talkers into their portfolios you'd have something like the CSN setup with the teams banding together themselves to buy up a station and put it out there, cuz the whole point is to have that message from the boardroom go out to the masses with some sort of "regular guy" or "fan just like you" being the middleman/gatekeeper who actually puts it out there. and that's never gonna go away.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 03, 2015 10:44 am 

I went late to a class to hear the station flip its signal to 24 hours. I made a cabbie turn the station on driving home from a bar on New Year's Eve because I wanted to hear what the hosts had to say. Now I go days without listening.

Happy birthday, wscr

PostPosted: Sat Jan 03, 2015 10:49 am 

pizza_Place: Luigi's
good dolphin wrote:
I went late to a class to hear the station flip its signal to 24 hours. I made a cabbie turn the station on driving home from a bar on New Year's Eve because I wanted to hear what the hosts had to say. Now I go days without listening.

Happy birthday, wscr

Pappy?!? Is that you?

PostPosted: Sat Jan 03, 2015 10:57 am 

As distasteful as current hosts may find it, north is the reason the score exists.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 03, 2015 11:01 am 

pizza_Place: Luigi's
good dolphin wrote:
As distasteful as current hosts may find it, north is the reason the score exists.

Couldn't agree more, gd. I enjoyed North during the good years. Love him or hate him, he is on the Mt. Rushmore of Chicago sports talk radio.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 03, 2015 12:13 pm 

good dolphin wrote:

Should have more birthday broadcasts with younger hosts maing fun of how the station used to be and the "stupid" bits.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 03, 2015 12:20 pm 

Godfella wrote:
good dolphin wrote:

Happy birthday, wscr

Pappy?!? Is that you?

Pappy wouldn't have been riding in a cab. He would have been driving.

<º)))><

PostPosted: Sat Jan 03, 2015 12:29 pm 

Location: Pearl Harbor, Waukesha, and other things that make no sense
bigfan wrote:
good dolphin wrote:

Should have more birthday broadcasts with younger hosts maing fun of how the station used to be and the "stupid" bits.

WSCR in the year 2035:

"Sigh, remember when this station used to do that crap thing where people would call in? I can't believe we would let just anyone have their voice on the radio. Haha, sigh, what was this, a town hall meeting? Ugh, that's so pathetic. Well, that's all the time we have for. Stay tuned for Laurence Holmes."

PostPosted: Sat Jan 03, 2015 1:22 pm 

pizza_Place: how many planets have a chicago?
Curious Hair wrote:
WSCR in the year 2035:

"Sigh, remember when this station used to do that crap thing where people would call in? I can't believe we would let just anyone have their voice on the radio. Haha, sigh, what was this, a town hall meeting? Ugh, that's so pathetic. Well, that's all the time we have for. Stay tuned for Laurence Holmes."

i think by 2035 the board will be complaining about how goff (the #1 chicago sports talk radio host of 2020, per dan mcneil who is NEVER SARCASTIC NOT EVEN 1%) has lost his fastball and he just mails it in like terry used to, doing 2-3 shows/week from home via skype (or whatever has taken over for skype in terms of video calls). goff used to care, but now he's just cashing those 2mil/yr checks (inflation) with the least amount of effort possible, and he'll be the old/goofy "terry" co-host to the AI primary host Dan Botstein.

hell, by the year 2035 there might only be one token white host on the score (cuz by then jewish people will have formally filed the paperwork to be officially separated from "white people") and he'll be doing all the racial stuff and talking about how everyone's racist against america's newest minority and how there needs to be a rule in the NFL where teams interview AT LEAST one white candidate during the hiring process. we'll call it "the steve in elmhurst rule"

and les will still be doing overnights LIVE from his iron lung in elk grove.... and he'll still be playing the DOWN DOWN DOWN LAKERS GOING DOWN drop even tho los angeles was lost to the great earthquake of 2027 (RIP) and he'll be wiping his ass with the memory of 8x super bowl winning quarterback AARON RODGERS, who will eventually come out of the closet at the end of his career and shock the world when he proclaims that he's actually straight as an arrow.... DEFECT DEFECT not straight not so straight... REJECT REJECT

(man i can remember the day i realized that the old dialup bbs "dimension seven" i ran with a friend seemed to be named after a song that's crying out about being secretly gay. yikes)

PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2015 3:14 pm 

Congratulations to a once great station. Unfortunately, the station had it's best lineup 23 years ago. FAR better than todays roster.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2015 3:18 pm 

pizza_Place: Paisan's in Cicero
Chus wrote:
Godfella wrote:
good dolphin wrote:

Happy birthday, wscr

Pappy?!? Is that you?

With a tranny hooker in the passenger seat.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2015 3:20 pm 
Site Admin

pizza_Place: Malnati's
spmack wrote:
Chus wrote:
Godfella wrote:
good dolphin wrote:

Happy birthday, wscr

Pappy?!? Is that you?

He was in a limo that night.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2015 3:23 pm 

pizza_Place: Milano's
bigfan wrote:
Should have more guys on that dont know the history of the Score and spend time mocking it. Good idea!

Wayne "Too Cool for the Room" Randazzo

wow does he look like a douche

PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2015 9:30 pm 

Seacrest wrote:
spmack wrote:
Chus wrote:
Godfella wrote:

Pappy?!? Is that you?

He was in a limo that night.

Pappy was moonlighting as a limo driver?

<º)))><

PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2015 9:39 pm 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DUF_fuXUkOs

PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2015 10:11 pm 

IkeSouth wrote:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DUF_fuXUkOs

This isn't the upper peninsula of Wisconsin. Dope.

<º)))><