It is currently Tue Apr 30, 2024 3:40 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 129 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject: Re: John Kasich
PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2015 11:25 pm 

pizza_Place: giordanos
Seacrest wrote:
Spaulding wrote:
KDdidit wrote:
The system was fine when we were kids when they weren't wasting weeks of every school year testing the shit out of us and even more weeks "teaching to the test". The people who benefit from testing bloat are the testing companies and not the kids. They're there to make profits, not help education. At least the kids can learn that capitalism is more important than learning.

I think this is a great point.

Teachers have a really tough job especially now. I think it's crazy to hold them to some of the standards they do. Lots of parent bullshit, kid bullshit, and administrative bullshit.

Now we are actually talking about problems in education that need addressing.

What does that even mean? Teachers should not be social workers or society's caretakers. If a child has a problem that prevents them from succeeding in school then have DCFS or whatever do a better job.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2015 11:28 pm 

spanky wrote:
conns7901 wrote:
In my opinion, Common Core will go away for two reasons.

1. They all go away. This is just the latest thing.
2. See #1

It always changes.

The thing that bothers me is we went to the Aspire Test for 8th grade this year when they have been taking and preparing for the Terra Nova test since second grade. That test is drastically different. Then most take the Catholic School entrance exam which is no calculators and almost strictly basic computation. I just want a lane to be picked.

Yes it is.

CDOM wrote:
When this is all over, which is not going to be for a while, Trump will be re-elected President.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2015 11:31 pm 

pittmike wrote:
Or some are disadvantaged so we give them free lunch and breakfast.

Yikes :shock:

pittmike wrote:
Or we have charter schools for the gifted which equals Bernstein's connected kids not the identified geniuses.

Those aren't charter schools.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2015 11:37 pm 

spanky wrote:
pittmike wrote:
Or some are disadvantaged so we give them free lunch and breakfast.

Yikes :shock:

This was made to show that government has confused or intertwined social help with school. Is that a shocking notion? Separate getting kids food and so forth from education might be streamlining? No idea.

pittmike wrote:
Or we have charter schools for the gifted which equals Bernstein's connected kids not the identified geniuses.

Those aren't charter schools.

Charter schools or maybe I am mis-identifying them (special separate programs in Lane Tech area schools) are crowded with rich connected city folks kids and really do nothing for the poor inner city kid that was born with a 140 IQ and never gets that chance.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2015 11:37 pm 

pizza_Place: Chuck E Cheese
I enjoy the teacher's union boogeyman. For all the talk about "facts," we still have the dumb talking point if it wasn't for those damn unions fucking everything up education would be great.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2015 11:39 pm 

pittmike wrote:
Charter schools or maybe I am mis-identifying them (special separate programs in Lane Tech area schools) are crowded with rich connected city folks kids and really do nothing for the poor inner city kid that was born with a 140 IQ and never gets that chance.

Well, I'm not a CPS guy, but those are probably magnet schools. And I think they actually do help out the type of low-income kid that you're talking about. But yes, they also serve the rich/connected. They draw from all over the city. Somebody else would know better than I do.

However, those types of schools do no favors for the rest of the low-income, under-performing schools in the city. They draw the best students away from the rest of the schools, and usually the teachers too.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2015 11:42 pm 

pizza_Place: Salernos, Oak Park
denisdman wrote:
Ok I'll bite on that. If my tax money is going to go towards public schools, then yes I want there to be high standards.

If you want what I would do, then here it is. I would close every public school in this country and move toward a charter school model New Oreleans style. The involvement of government in education has been a race to the bottom. It serves very few students well.

States already have standards. Common Core is mainly about setting high standards created by educators. It's not some government takeover of education.

UNION BREAKER!

We don’t have a trillion-dollar debt because we haven’t taxed enough; we have a trillion-dollar debt because we spend too much. — Ronald Reagan

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2015 11:44 pm 

pizza_Place: Chuck E Cheese
spanky wrote:
pittmike wrote:

Well, I'm not a CPS guy, but those are probably magnet schools. And I think they actually do help out the type of low-income kid that you're talking about. But yes, they also serve the rich/connected. They draw from all over the city. Somebody else would know better than I do.

However, those types of schools do no favors for the rest of the low-income, under-performing schools in the city. They draw the best students away from the rest of the schools, and usually the teachers too.

And lower the scores and funding of the schools they get taken from. Hopefully those scrub teachers from the school they left get fired because it's their fault.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2015 11:46 pm 

denisdman wrote:
Ok I'll bite on that. If my tax money is going to go towards public schools, then yes I want there to be high standards.

If you want what I would do, then here it is. I would close every public school in this country and move toward a charter school model New Oreleans style. The involvement of government in education has been a race to the bottom. It serves very few students well.

States already have standards. Common Core is mainly about setting high standards created by educators. It's not some government takeover of education.

You should run for your local school board

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2015 11:47 pm 

KDdidit wrote:
And lower the scores and funding of the schools they get taken from. Hopefully those scrub teachers from the school they left get fired because it's their fault.

YES!

KDdidit....

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2015 11:54 pm 

spanky wrote:
pittmike wrote:

I am really not connected into this but you are right Spanky in that I think they tell success stories of some sort. Big picture though... what changes. Some took it wrong maybe when I said that thinking they are helping education they dig into people's lives with early free breakfast and lunch and so on. I am not commenting on any of that. Why not have separate social and education systems?

The situation now though is a giant bureaucracy that not only does not work but is unchangeable. I apologize that I do not offer solutions but it now is not working. The closest I have seen to success is the European model that was outlined earlier in this thread. Identify or measure or whatever you call it for a kid's strengths then maximize that. Regardless of what we may wish not every kid is deserving or capable of being a doctor, lawyer or CFO.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2015 11:57 pm 

pizza_Place: Gioacchino's
pittmike wrote:

What does that even mean? Teachers should not be social workers or society's caretakers. If a child has a problem that prevents them from succeeding in school then have DCFS or whatever do a better job.

Very few have any autonomy, many times they can't discipline effectively. I disagree with some of the things they teach or don't teach. Phonics and spelling in the early years come to mind. Parents don't want to hear it and many don't want to parent. Too tired, too hard, too depressed, and some are idiots.

I hate these MAP test things and think this idea of standards or averages is mostly a bunch of crap. The ones that meet and exceed the standard are not paid attention to and are told doing great. They aren't challenged or pushed most of the time. The focus then shifts to the below average. Gotta get those scores up. Some might never for a variety of reasons. I don't know how to structure education so every kid maximizes their strengths and potential but that's what I think should be done.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2015 12:12 am 

Spaulding I have no solution all I can give is my experience. My son was identified early on like 3rd grade as a child with a reading issue. For so many years there were meetings and a assistance for him while keeping him in the main class he belonged. Twice per year us parents met with school to assess and agree on plan going forward. This went on and still does even as he is caught up.

So fine I have money and am in a good district or am lucky? He is now a freshman in HS and runs a 3.5 gpa.

In my semi rural district in PA I doubt they pay per student what Chicago does. But they "measured: him they made a "plan of action" and followed through.

Aside from parents not giving a fuck or gang violence what the hell else is a school to do?

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2015 12:21 am 

pittmike wrote:

So fine I have money and am in a good district or am lucky? He is now a freshman in HS and runs a 3.5 gpa.

In my semi rural district in PA I doubt they pay per student what Chicago does. But they "measured: him they made a "plan of action" and followed through.

Aside from parents not giving a fuck or gang violence what the hell else is a school to do?

You're both.

Why would you ultimately hold teachers responsible if you are saying what the hell else is a school to do? There are so many other things that factor into a student's success and failure.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2015 12:26 am 

Spaulding wrote:
pittmike wrote:

You're both.

Why would you ultimately hold teachers responsible if you are saying what the hell else is a school to do? There are so many other things that factor into a student's success and failure.

You missed my points in all of this. It is not only teachers ( i do not blame them solely) but I am adamant there has to be some measurable level of success to justify throwing more money as the only solution. If I have a shit beater car and I put 5 grand into it and it breaks down in another month who is dumb?

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2015 12:27 am 

I don't advocate putting more money into the system.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2015 1:45 am 
1000 CLUB

What is your solution Genius?

This is an attempt by educators (not government) to prepare students for College and beyond. Everyone complains but no one has a real solution. I guarantee we wont fall further compered to other countries.

Maybe we need more Sunday school. God can fix anything.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2015 8:37 am 
Site Admin

pizza_Place: Malnati's
Mr. Belvidere wrote:
What is your solution Genius?

This is an attempt by educators (not government) to prepare students for College and beyond. Everyone complains but no one has a real solution. I guarantee we wont fall further compered to other countries.

Maybe we need more Sunday school. God can fix anything.

People keep saying this likes it true.
Allah Akbar Belvedere.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2015 8:53 am 

denisdman wrote:
Conns, lots of research says preK is very important. I am on board for that. Thanks for the thoughtful response.

Conservatives are a sad lot now, and that's why I tend to refer to myself as a Libertarian.

:roll:

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2015 9:29 am 

Location: Pearl Harbor, Waukesha, and other things that make no sense
pizza_Place: Lou Malnati's
Hawg Ass wrote:
denisdman wrote:
Conns, lots of research says preK is very important. I am on board for that. Thanks for the thoughtful response.

Conservatives are a sad lot now, and that's why I tend to refer to myself as a Libertarian.

He's not wrong, nor was I when I said that "libertarian" is just a rebranding for pro-market conservatives who are ashamed of the Jesus freaks. That thread where I said it seems to have been deleted, though.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2015 9:31 am 

Curious Hair wrote:
Hawg Ass wrote:
denisdman wrote:

He's not wrong, nor was I when I said that "libertarian" is just a rebranding for pro-market conservatives who are ashamed of the Jesus freaks. That thread where I said it seems to have been deleted, though.

Ok, I disagree.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2015 9:35 am 

Location: Pearl Harbor, Waukesha, and other things that make no sense
pizza_Place: Lou Malnati's
Hawg Ass wrote:
Ok, I disagree.

Okay, tell us what's not sad. The climate-change deniers? The vaccine deniers? The Christian theocrats and "culture warriors"? The Randroids? The neoliberal private-equity raiders (split evenly with the Democrats)? The war-mongers?

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2015 9:39 am 

Curious Hair wrote:
Hawg Ass wrote:
Ok, I disagree.

Okay, tell us what's not sad. The climate-change deniers? The vaccine deniers? The Christian theocrats and "culture warriors"? The Randroids? The neoliberal private-equity raiders (split evenly with the Democrats)? The war-mongers?

We have different thoughts and philosophies on things, it is ok.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2015 9:46 am 

pizza_Place: Warren Buffet of Cock
I loathe to dig deeper, but I can't resist. When I think Conservative, I think of folks that stand for a smaller Federal Government, state's rights, prudent fiscal policy, a strong dollar (previously gold backed), free markets, free movement of labor (yes immigration is good), free trade etc.

Today, many Conservatives are happy to run large budget deficits to finance tax cuts. They bash immigrants who are a huge part of the social contract that built this country. They will defend freedom of religion unless of course you are Muslim. They are willing to spend endless dollar for a military build-up. They would love free trade unless of course it involves cutting subsidies to farmers or have anything to do with China. They oppose anything Obama does regardless of whether it is good or not. It's ok to trample freedoms like due process for prisoners in Cuba or to spy on everyone in the name of protecting America. I love the new revelations of a massive program to spy on citizens via license plate tracking.

That is the state of the Republican Party. You've got Ted Cruz as your talking head. Unwilling to compromise on anything because Obama might get some of the credit. And thus we have a broken system that gets nothing done. A government run on continuing resolutions for years because we can't pass a budget. A President having to resort to executive orders to address issues that should be completed by compromise.

The system was built intentionally to require compromise. That is the natural checks and balances of the system. Without compromise, you cannot solve problems. Having 10M+ illegals is a problem. Having vast structural fiscal imbalances, $17T in debt plus nearly $100T more in unfunded and unrecognized debts in Social Security and Medicare. Having the highest corporate tax rate in the developed world.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2015 10:11 am 

pizza_Place: Papa Johns
denisdman wrote:
I loathe to dig deeper, but I can't resist. When I think Conservative, I think of folks that stand for a smaller Federal Government, state's rights, prudent fiscal policy, a strong dollar (previously gold backed), free markets, free movement of labor (yes immigration is good), free trade etc.

Today, many Conservatives are happy to run large budget deficits to finance tax cuts. They bash immigrants who are a huge part of the social contract that built this country. They will defend freedom of religion unless of course you are Muslim. They are willing to spend endless dollar for a military build-up. They would love free trade unless of course it involves cutting subsidies to farmers or have anything to do with China. They oppose anything Obama does regardless of whether it is good or not. It's ok to trample freedoms like due process for prisoners in Cuba or to spy on everyone in the name of protecting America. I love the new revelations of a massive program to spy on citizens via license plate tracking.

That is the state of the Republican Party. You've got Ted Cruz as your talking head. Unwilling to compromise on anything because Obama might get some of the credit. And thus we have a broken system that gets nothing done. A government run on continuing resolutions for years because we can't pass a budget. A President having to resort to executive orders to address issues that should be completed by compromise.

The system was built intentionally to require compromise. That is the natural checks and balances of the system. Without compromise, you cannot solve problems. Having 10M+ illegals is a problem. Having vast structural fiscal imbalances, $17T in debt plus nearly $100T more in unfunded and unrecognized debts in Social Security and Medicare. Having the highest corporate tax rate in the developed world.

You're showing your ass, compromise is a two way street, and it takes two to tango. But you already know that.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2015 10:14 am 

I believe that if Libertarians were in control it would be worse than either the Republicans or the Democrats.

Talk about a good idea being taken WAY WAY WAY too far.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2015 10:23 am 

pizza_Place: Warren Buffet of Cock
You're probably right Rick. It just isn't practical in a globalized world. Besides, our population is trained to "need" government. Even with things like Social Security and SNAP, many folks are living in poverty. Imagine a country without the various federal safety nets......tough to envision.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2015 10:28 am 

pizza_Place: Jimmy's Place
"Roughly half a million U.S. teachers either move or leave the profession each year," reads a new report from the Alliance for Excellent Education, an advocacy group. And this kind of turnover comes at a steep cost, not only to students but to districts: up to $2.2 billion a year.

There were more than 3 million full-time teachers in 2013, according to the Department of Education, meaning nearly 15 percent of the workforce is moving or leaving every year. And, the study says, at-risk students suffer the most.

Nearly 20 percent of teachers at high-poverty schools leave every year, a rate 50 percent higher than at more affluent schools. That's one of every five teachers, gone by next September.

As for that $2.2 billion price tag, it's money largely spent on human resources, says Jason Amos, Vice President of Communications for the Alliance. That includes recruiting and processing new hires, along with money spent on induction, training and development.

The report points to a variety of reasons for the turnover, including low salaries and a lack of support for many teachers. Which helps to explain why those most likely to quit are also the least experienced: 40 to 50 percent of new teachers leave within their first five years on the job.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2015 10:31 am 

denisdman wrote:
You're probably right Rick. It just isn't practical in a globalized world. Besides, our population is trained to "need" government. Even with things like Social Security and SNAP, many folks are living in poverty. Imagine a country without the various federal safety nets......tough to envision.
In any society though, some people are going to need government to help them. There are winners and losers in everything. The upper middle class and above can't exist without a lower class that loses out. If you are doing better than most then the basic social safety net we have now benefits you more than anyone. Your kids will have advantages over poor kids. You can make money in ways that poor people can't dream about. You can choose to live in a neighborhood which offers you major advantages.

The tradeoff is that the government takes some of the money and makes sure that poor people can eat and are not homeless.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2015 10:35 am 

Hatchetman wrote:
"Roughly half a million U.S. teachers either move or leave the profession each year," reads a new report from the Alliance for Excellent Education, an advocacy group. And this kind of turnover comes at a steep cost, not only to students but to districts: up to $2.2 billion a year.

There were more than 3 million full-time teachers in 2013, according to the Department of Education, meaning nearly 15 percent of the workforce is moving or leaving every year. And, the study says, at-risk students suffer the most.

Nearly 20 percent of teachers at high-poverty schools leave every year, a rate 50 percent higher than at more affluent schools. That's one of every five teachers, gone by next September.

As for that $2.2 billion price tag, it's money largely spent on human resources, says Jason Amos, Vice President of Communications for the Alliance. That includes recruiting and processing new hires, along with money spent on induction, training and development.

The report points to a variety of reasons for the turnover, including low salaries and a lack of support for many teachers. Which helps to explain why those most likely to quit are also the least experienced: 40 to 50 percent of new teachers leave within their first five years on the job.
A lot of that seems to be teachers finding new jobs still in teaching, which is pretty common in all fields.

I doubt there is a mass exodus of teachers out of the profession. From everything I know, there are more teachers than jobs right now. They just want to go to the higher paying districts.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 129 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next