It is currently Tue Apr 30, 2024 9:59 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Michelle Obama
PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2015 8:32 am 
Site Admin

pizza_Place: Malnati's
For refusing to wear a head scarf while in Saudi Arabia..

Post subject: Re: Michelle Obama
PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2015 9:44 am 

You similarly cool with people wearing shorts and tank tops to the Vatican?

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2015 9:45 am 

pizza_Place: Al's Pizza
Seacrest wrote:
For refusing to wear a head scarf while in Saudi Arabia..

+1

Her image was blurred out on television in Saudi Arabia.

<º)))><

Waiting for the time when I can finally say
That this has all been wonderful, but now I'm on my way

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2015 10:07 am 

Location: Pearl Harbor, Waukesha, and other things that make no sense
pizza_Place: Lou Malnati's
Shoutout wholeheartedly endorsed. I was surprised people expected her to in the first place.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2015 10:08 am 
100000 CLUB

pizza_Place: 773-684-2222
I'm torn on this one.

Blago: https://youtube.com/shorts/Lftdxd-YXt8?feature=share

"You can’t love your country only when you win." -President Biden

https://youtu.be/R6e4ruziZBI?si=1G4W1vbh0eGQuHfU

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2015 10:09 am 

Good for her.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2015 10:10 am 

Nas wrote:
I'm torn on this one.

find something else to tear your butt apart on. if a saudi arabian came here we wouldn't make them remove their clothes.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2015 10:12 am 

Location: Pearl Harbor, Waukesha, and other things that make no sense
pizza_Place: Lou Malnati's
Nas wrote:
I'm torn on this one.

Then you're one wet napkin, because it's pretty hard to be torn on something like this.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2015 10:22 am 
100000 CLUB

Curious Hair wrote:
Nas wrote:
I'm torn on this one.

Then you're one wet napkin, because it's pretty hard to be torn on something like this.

It's disrespectful. I believe that you can make a political statement without doing it at the funeral of a world leader. I think we all would be pissed if someone disrespected Carter or HW Bush the same way in the next 5 to 10 years. On the other hand I agree with the statement she was making.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2015 10:23 am 

I thought she was Muslim.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2015 10:24 am 

Nas wrote:
It's disrespectful. I believe that you can make a political statement without doing it at the funeral of a world leader. I think we all would be pissed if someone disrespected Carter or HW Bush the same way in the next 5 to 10 years. On the other hand I agree with the statement she was making.
It isn't disrespectful. Forcing her to wear one would be.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2015 10:37 am 
Site Admin

good dolphin wrote:
You similarly cool with people wearing shorts and tank tops to the Vatican?

"One of these things is not like the other..."

We were discussing Pre-K education in the Kasich thread.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2015 10:43 am 
100000 CLUB

Boilermaker Rick wrote:
Nas wrote:
It isn't disrespectful. Forcing her to wear one would be.

Why do you think that? Were these disrespectful?

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2015 10:57 am 

It should be her choice. I said forcing her to wear one would be. Obviously, she chose not to.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2015 11:00 am 
Site Admin

The forced subjugation of women that finds it's basis in the Koran, which is a book based upon the idle thoughts of a pedophile, are anything but respectful of females.

Under the kingdom's strict dress code for women, Saudi females are required to wear a headscarf and loose, black robes in public. Most women in Saudi Arabia cover their hair and face with a veil known as the niqab. But covering one's head is not required for foreigners, and some Western women choose to forego the headscarf while in Saudi Arabia.

Saudi Arabia imposes many restrictions on women on the strict interpretation of Islamic Shariah (shah-REE'-yuh) law known as Wahhabism. Genders are strictly segregated. Women are banned from driving, although there have been campaigns in recent years to lift that ban. Guardianship laws also require women to get permission from a male relative to travel, get married, enroll in higher education or undergo certain surgical procedures.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2015 12:33 pm 

It's funny that neither Condi Rice nor Susan Rice wore them either, but got no scorn. The continual need for some to nitpick the First Family never ceases to amuse me now.

I'm actually glad she took the stand. I'm really tired of certain hypocritical and misogynistic Muslims' playing the disrespected victim card. Especially those leaders in the countries that sponsored Al Qaeda & others for years but were never formally acknowledged as conspirators in terror.

In any event, there are exceptions in the cases of foreign visitors, especially visitors that aren't entering a mosque/religous site. But since it's FLOTUS, some don't seem to care.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2015 1:43 pm 

pizza_Place: Charlie Fox's / Paisano's
http://www.motherjones.com/mojo/2015/01/feminist-boss-lady-queen-elizabeth-gave-saudi-arabias-king-lesson-power

That Time Badass Feminist Queen Elizabeth II Gave Saudi Arabia's King a Lesson in Power
—By Sam Brodey| Fri Jan. 23, 2015 2:22 PM EST

Great Britain's Queen Elizabeth II is known to have a wicked sense of humor, and some mean driving skills. One day back in 1998, she deployed both spectacularly to punk Saudi Arabia's late King Abdullah bin Abdulaziz. Back then, Abdullah was a Saudi crown prince visiting Balmoral, the vast royal estate in Scotland. The Queen had offered him a tour of the grounds—here's what happened next, according to former British ambassador to Saudi Arabia Sir Sherard Cowper-Coles:

The royal Land Rovers were drawn up in front of the castle. As instructed, the Crown Prince climbed into the front seat of the Land Rover, with his interpreter in the seat behind. To his surprise, the Queen climbed into the driving seat, turned the ignition and drove off. Women are not—yet—allowed to drive in Saudi Arabia, and Abdullah was not used to being driven by a woman, let alone a queen. His nervousness only increased as the queen, an Army driver in wartime, accelerated the Land Rover along the narrow Scottish estate roads, talking all the time. Through his interpreter, the Crown Prince implored the Queen to slow down and concentrate on the road ahead.

Royal custom discourages repeating what the Queen says in private, Cowper-Coles explained, but the anecdote was corroborated by Abdullah, and became, in the diplomat's words, "too funny not to repeat."

Abdullah went on to cultivate the image of a reformer as king. One thing he didn't change, despite the Queen's badass stunt: women still can't drive in Saudi Arabia.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2015 2:03 pm 

sounds like the queen is the reason women still arent allowed to drive in saudia arabia

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2015 2:36 pm 

pizza_Place: Al's Pizza

<º)))><

Waiting for the time when I can finally say
That this has all been wonderful, but now I'm on my way

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2015 2:45 pm 

pizza_Place: Lou Malanati's
IkeSouth wrote:
sounds like the queen is the reason women still arent allowed to drive in saudia arabia

Not the worst idea! :D :D :D

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2015 2:42 pm 

pizza_Place: Warren Buffet of Cock
Karen Lewis is ready for a meeting with the Saudi's.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2015 2:46 pm 

Looks more like she's getting ready for the 'Wizzo the Wizard' cosplay convention.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2015 2:49 pm 

pizza_Place: Warren Buffet of Cock
Don Tiny wrote:
Looks more like she's getting ready for the 'Wizzo the Wizard' cosplay convention.

"Cookie!"

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2015 3:28 pm 

pizza_Place: Gioacchino's
Who's grandma had sex with Bozo?

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2015 5:16 pm 

pizza_Place: 1. Aurelio's 2. Pizano's
I can't believe I'm doing this, but I'll support this shoutout.

2. Proper response would be to ask an endless series of follow ups until the person regrets having spoken to you in the first place.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2015 5:22 pm 

Spaulding wrote:
Who's grandma had sex with Bozo?

PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2015 12:44 am 
Site Admin

pizza_Place: Aurelio's
Regular Reader wrote:
It's funny that neither Condi Rice nor Susan Rice wore them either, but got no scorn. The continual need for some to nitpick the First Family never ceases to amuse me now.

I'm actually glad she took the stand. I'm really tired of certain hypocritical and misogynistic Muslims' playing the disrespected victim card. Especially those leaders in the countries that sponsored Al Qaeda & others for years but were never formally acknowledged as conspirators in terror.

In any event, there are exceptions in the cases of foreign visitors, especially visitors that aren't entering a mosque/religous site. But since it's FLOTUS, some don't seem to care.

Is she getting scorn though? I think most Americans think it's a great and powerful statement she made. She's certainly more high profile than either Rice.

Here's an example of why, even though my politics are liberal- sometimes radical- I just can't identify as liberal. The liberal goes on and on wailing about some fictional "war on women", mainly based upon the very human discussion about the morality of killing the unborn, while turning a blind eye to an actual war on women within an entire religion/culture that treats women as property.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2015 2:12 am 

Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:

Here's an example of why, even though my politics are liberal- sometimes radical- I just can't identify as liberal. The liberal goes on and on wailing about some fictional "war on women", mainly based upon the very human discussion about the morality of killing the unborn, while turning a blind eye to an actual war on women within an entire religion/culture that treats women as property.

I see what you are saying here.

If a state says that a woman can't drive her body around, must cover up her body, cannot use her intellect and labor to earn money, etc, these are all treating a woman as property. I mean if a woman has no choice over her body due to state sanctions, then you are right JORR, she is nothing but property.

However, when a woman tries to control what happens with her body as it concerns pregnancy she doesn't have to worry about the state treating her as property, because that doesn't happen in the US. Oh wait, that is exactly what happens in the discussion of the morality of killing the unborn.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2015 2:20 am 

pizza_Place: Salerno's

PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2015 7:26 am 
Site Admin

pizza_Place: Aurelio's
One Post wrote:
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:

I see what you are saying here.

If a state says that a woman can't drive her body around, must cover up her body, cannot use her intellect and labor to earn money, etc, these are all treating a woman as property. I mean if a woman has no choice over her body due to state sanctions, then you are right JORR, she is nothing but property.

However, when a woman tries to control what happens with her body as it concerns pregnancy she doesn't have to worry about the state treating her as property, because that doesn't happen in the US. Oh wait, that is exactly what happens in the discussion of the morality of killing the unborn.

Oh, that old "laws off my body" canard again. The government has laws on everyone's body. Do you think you should be free to shoot heroin? LAWS OFF YOUR BODY!!!!

I'm very sorry that there are some indisputable biological facts and one of them is that female is the gender that carries the children. Maybe one day science can change that so men can enjoy the wonders of childbirth. Or better yet, maybe we can find a way for women to impregnate themselves. We're almost there. Now, we just have to sex all the fetuses and men can be eliminated!

What happens in a discussion on the morality of killing unborn children is generally someone spouting a religious based philosophy which is then followed by women who have had the ability to kill at will their entire lives shrieking about laws and their bodies.

But I'm an atheist. I don't believe anyone has to answer to God. And I fully understand what a complicated issue it is. If you have hundreds of thousands of unwanted children being born, that's a whole new can of worms. But I truly believe that some future society thousands of years down the road will look back on 20th/21st Century America as "that culture that killed its children".

So the next time someone shoots your neighbor down on the street, the next time hillbillies in Texas cheer an execution, the next time some woman throws a new born in the garbage, just remember, we've created a culture where life is cheap. And abortion on demand is one of the building blocks of that culture. So keep on cheering a woman's "right to choose" as your stock as a human being continues to drop.