It is currently Wed Apr 24, 2024 6:46 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 121 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
PostPosted: Fri Jan 01, 2016 5:44 pm 

pizza_Place: Salernos, Oak Park
conns7901 wrote:
Quote:
John Ourand ‏@Ourand_SBJ

Overnights: 9.9 for Cotton and 9.7 for Orange. Last year's semis were 15.5 for the early game and 15.3 for the late one.

Down 36% and 37%

And there you go. That is a fucking HUGE drop in ratings. Wow. This wont sit well with the sponsors or networks.
All they had to do was reverse the New Years Eve and New Years Day bowl schedules and everything would be fine.

We don’t have a trillion-dollar debt because we haven’t taxed enough; we have a trillion-dollar debt because we spend too much. — Ronald Reagan

PostPosted: Fri Jan 01, 2016 5:48 pm 

Scorehead wrote:
conns7901 wrote:
Quote:
John Ourand ‏@Ourand_SBJ

Overnights: 9.9 for Cotton and 9.7 for Orange. Last year's semis were 15.5 for the early game and 15.3 for the late one.

Down 36% and 37%

And there you go. That is a fucking HUGE drop in ratings. Wow. This wont sit well with the sponsors or networks.
All they had to do was reverse the New Years Eve and New Years Day bowl schedules and everything would be fine.

Or play on Saturday if they are that worried about making the Rose Bowl mad.

Yes it is.

CDOM wrote:
When this is all over, which is not going to be for a while, Trump will be re-elected President.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 01, 2016 6:52 pm 

pizza_Place: Oh I'm sorry but, there's no one on the line
The ratings would have dropped regardless for that MSU/Bama game.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 03, 2016 11:24 am 

pizza_Place: Pizza Hut
With Leap year this year, the College Football playoffs will be on Saturday, NFL on Sunday, and The New Year's games on January 2.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 03, 2016 12:06 pm 

pizza_Place: Barnaby's
spanky wrote:
I just saw a report that today's matinee bowl game, between WKU and USF (!!), had a better rating than SATURDAY'S UCLA/UNC Basketball game.
Two of CBB greatest teams who are both pretty good this year, on a weekend.

The CFB playoff is gonna be fine. Can't wait.

I don't get the comparison. The WKU-USF Bowl Game did meager ratings with ~1.15 million total viewers. And the midseason UNC-UCLA game was on the last Saturday before Christmas.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2016 9:27 am 

Scorehead wrote:
conns7901 wrote:
Quote:
John Ourand ‏@Ourand_SBJ

Down 36% and 37%

There was going to be a natural drop in year two of this. Also, the game kind of sucked.

Ideally, I'd do one game on NYE and one game on NYD. It was pretty awesome that there was something worth watching at 4pm on NYE. I don't know if the second game really fits well though.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2016 9:34 am 

Why not have the two playoff games on New Year's Day?

PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2016 9:39 am 

rogers park bryan wrote:
Why not have the two playoff games on New Year's Day?
Because they want the Rose Bowl and Sugar Bowl involved.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2016 9:50 am 

Boilermaker Rick wrote:
Ideally, I'd do one game on NYE and one game on NYD. It was pretty awesome that there was something worth watching at 4pm on NYE. I don't know if the second game really fits well though.

Awesome?

To me it seemed like that game sort of fell thru the cracks and people were like, Oh this is on, huh.

That is the casual fan. Im sure as as hardcore it was awesome for you. Id love if there were baseball games at 10am on every holiday but it probably isnt good for ratings.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2016 9:57 am 

rogers park bryan wrote:
Boilermaker Rick wrote:

Awesome?

To me it seemed like that game sort of fell thru the cracks and people were like, Oh this is on, huh.

That is the casual fan. Im sure as as hardcore it was awesome for you. Id love if there were baseball games at 10am on every holiday but it probably isnt good for ratings.
Well, there is some truth to people adjusting their behavior for it. The NBA turned Christmas into a showcase too. It takes some time though. There is no reason that college football can't dominate the 5pm-8pm time frame on NYE.

You then get the other game the next day.

The title game is on a Monday at 8:30pm. That isn't a great time for a lot of people either.

I just thought it was great that there was something worth watching at that time.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2016 9:59 am 

Frankly, I dont like that Football is trying to takeover ANOTHER Holiday.

They had Thanksgiving and New Year's Day. That's enough.

But this New Years day with mostly meaningless Bowl Games kinda sucks.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2016 10:01 am 

rogers park bryan wrote:
But this New Years day with mostly meaningless Bowl Games kinda sucks.
That is why it would be perfect if one was NYE and one was NYD.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2016 10:38 am 

reents wrote:
With Leap year this year, the College Football playoffs will be on Saturday, NFL on Sunday, and The New Year's games on January 2.

Is this true? WTF? Why don't people want me to have fun?

PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2016 10:42 am 

Boilermaker Rick wrote:
rogers park bryan wrote:
Boilermaker Rick wrote:

Awesome?

Well, there is some truth to people adjusting their behavior for it. The NBA turned Christmas into a showcase too. It takes some time though. There is no reason that college football can't dominate the 5pm-8pm time frame on NYE.

You then get the other game the next day.

The title game is on a Monday at 8:30pm. That isn't a great time for a lot of people either.

I just thought it was great that there was something worth watching at that time.

I was at a party during the late game. This was a big sports crowd with a lot of coach types. The game was on but most (including me) were in another room.

The first game was pretty much over by the time I got home from work and finished preparations for the night.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2016 10:43 am 

The late game was pretty horrible though.

I took a nap during it.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2016 10:55 am 

Boilermaker Rick wrote:

I took a nap during it.

but nobody was even giving it a chance. There was a bigger crowd around the Chili's platter than the tv.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2016 10:56 am 

good dolphin wrote:
Boilermaker Rick wrote:

I took a nap during it.

but nobody was even giving it a chance. There was a bigger crowd around the Chili's platter than the tv.
Come on.

The game was on. You just decided what your thoughts were before it happened. If it was a compelling game then it would have been watched.

I still think two games are overkill. Just put one in a good sweet spot where it can be an appetizer for the rest of the night.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2016 10:57 am 

good dolphin wrote:
Boilermaker Rick wrote:

I took a nap during it.

That just proves that nobody cares about college football. The ratings were higher in previous years because people sat at home in their pajamas nursing a hangover and watching on a day when there is literally nothing else on TV.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2016 10:57 am 

Douchebag wrote:
That just proves that nobody cares about college football. The ratings were higher in previous years because people sat at home in their pajamas nursing a hangover and watching on a day when there is literally nothing else on TV.
It was still one of the highest rated non-NFL sporting events of the year.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2016 11:50 am 

Boilermaker Rick wrote:
good dolphin wrote:
Boilermaker Rick wrote:

I took a nap during it.

Come on.

The game was on. You just decided what your thoughts were before it happened. If it was a compelling game then it would have been watched.

I still think two games are overkill. Just put one in a good sweet spot where it can be an appetizer for the rest of the night.

That's not true. Look at my posts from early in the announcement about this. I was expecting to go in watching the game. Instead I came into the house and was just more interested in friends and drinking than football.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2016 12:42 pm 

Location: Pearl Harbor, Waukesha, and other things that make no sense
pizza_Place: Lou Malnati's
Boilermaker Rick wrote:
There is no reason that college football can't dominate the 5pm-8pm time frame on NYE.

Sure, and Friday night will be when networks showcase their best programming.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2016 10:47 am 

Ratings for the title game were down 15% too so I'm not sure the NYE/NYD thing had as large of an effect as we thought.

It more had to do with it not being the first season of it along with the games being pretty much garbage on NYE.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2016 11:02 am 

pizza_Place: giordanos
Boilermaker Rick wrote:
Ratings for the title game were down 15% too so I'm not sure the NYE/NYD thing had as large of an effect as we thought.

It more had to do with it not being the first season of it along with the games being pretty much garbage on NYE.

Goff and Spiegs just mentioned that ESPNwatch or whatever had its biggest non soccer audience of all time. Probably drained some off of tv numbers. But who cares about ratings anyway.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2016 11:05 am 

pizza_Place: Aurelio's
pittmike wrote:
Goff and Spiegs just mentioned that ESPNwatch or whatever had its biggest non soccer audience of all time. Probably drained some off of tv numbers. But who cares about ratings anyway.

*new LoHo section * mods learn how to merge topics * allow mods to be added to foes list * move fragility topics from DB/Shoutouts to Politics *

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2016 9:06 pm 

Dumbest part of College Football Playoff might soon be history
Dan Wetzel

Our brief national nightmare may soon be over. The College Football Playoff is discussing moving its semifinal games off of New Year’s Eve.

The games were held on Dec. 31 for the first time last year. It produced disastrous television ratings (down 36 percent) and widespread fan complaints, mostly from those who couldn’t watch because they had to work. The issues seeped into New Year’s Day viewing, where the anticlimactic nature of the set-up – like a band playing its hit songs first and new stuff last – helped produce further record low ratings.

Now the ill-fated decision is open to review, according to College Football Playoff director Bill Hancock.

“We will be exploring whether there’s a better way with the semifinals,” Hancock said Wednesday at SEC media days in Alabama.

The exploration should be brief. Just about anything would be an improvement.

The fact Hancock mentioned the possibility of the move suggests this is fait accompli. The playoff folks, who previously operated the maligned Bowl Championship Series, are generally loath to admit any issues, challenges or potential changes … until the moment the deal is done. A playoff was never going to happen either, they used to say, because the BCS was so great.

Hancock said nothing would change this year (when the semifinals will be on a Saturday, alleviating the problem) or next (when the Rose and Sugar Bowls, both staged on New Year’s Day, are hosts). After that, though, expect the two games to return permanently to New Year’s Day, which college football has claimed as its own for generations.

“The next two years are not a discussion,” Hancock said. “We have time. We will be thinking about whether New Year’s Eve is the way to go. We will discuss the alternatives. We want to find the best day when the most people can watch the game.”

How about the afternoon and evening of a national holiday, not the afternoon and evening of a work day, which also doubles as a night with set social plans for millions of Americans, particularly young people.

Hancock previously predicted the playoff would rewrite the paradigm of New Year’s Eve. That uphill fight seems abandoned already.

Getting people to eschew a traditional night of celebration to watch football on television was just a small part of the issue. Work was the big one.

The early semifinal game last year between Oklahoma and Clemson kicked off at 4 p.m. ET. There weren’t many parties going on at that time. A lot of people were on the job though, in offices and factories, particularly on the West Coast where it was just 1 p.m.

Ratings for that game, which was competitive well into the third quarter (eventual winner Clemson trailed at the half) was off a whopping 45 percent year over year.

“That was not something we wanted,” Hancock said.

People working is still an issue at night, when restaurants, bars, catering and so on are ramping up staff. So too do hospitals, police, security and other professions. There is no comparison to the number of people at their jobs on New Year’s Day, when much of America settles in and naps.

Much of this was predictable and, indeed, predicted by many.

The playoff went forward with it anyway, namely as a way to preserve the power of six traditional bowl games – Rose, Sugar, Cotton, Orange, Fiesta and Peach/Chik-fil-A. Each gets to host a semifinal game every three years, but the Rose and Sugar refused to budge on their preferred time slots of New Year’s Day afternoon and night, respectively.

Rather than force their hands with counter programming during off years or granting them permanent semifinal status and upsetting four other bowl games, the playoff decided to risk the wrath of tens of millions of customers and work around them.

It didn’t go so well.

Give the commissioners who operate the playoff credit for recognizing and addressing the issue quickly this time. There was no doubt plenty of prodding from broadcast partner ESPN, which originally lobbied against New Year’s Eve semifinals but was ignored.

Yes it is.

CDOM wrote:
When this is all over, which is not going to be for a while, Trump will be re-elected President.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2016 12:47 am 

pizza_Place: Oh I'm sorry but, there's no one on the line
conns7901 wrote:
Much of this was predictable and, indeed, predicted by many.

MANY.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2016 5:31 am 

It would have ended up fine but short term this makes them more money. Just like NFL on Thanksgiving or NBA on Christmas it doesn't happen after one year.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2016 8:32 am 

I'm starting to feel like I don't have many NYE or NYD left in me so I hope the remaining one's will be enjoyable.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2016 1:02 pm 

Boilermaker Rick wrote:
It would have ended up fine but short term this makes them more money. Just like NFL on Thanksgiving or NBA on Christmas it doesn't happen after one year.

No it would not have. Most people work on New Year's Eve then go out for the night with their friends. Almost everyone is off on Thanksgiving and Christmas. Those holidays are typically spent with family at houses.

Yes it is.

CDOM wrote:

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2016 2:11 pm 

Moved some of them to Saturdays. Good compromise.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 121 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next