It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:30 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2018 12:20 pm 

Agree or Disagee?

Light Em up Chicago

PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2018 12:37 pm 

It's a different game now, but I don't know that he belongs in Jason Kidd or Bobby Hurley's category yet.

And Pistol Pete I have to think is rightfully in this discussion

PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2018 1:02 pm 

pizza_Place: nick n vito's
long time guy wrote:
Agree or Disagee?

Light Em up Chicago

I heard him say that, i was thinking Ben Gordon before Dan said that..he knows a hell of alot more hoops than me.. Sounds like he could be closer to Curry than Gordon.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2018 3:19 pm 

Regular Reader wrote:
It's a different game now, but I don't know that he belongs in Jason Kidd or Bobby Hurley's category yet.

For me the two toughest freshman college guards were Chris Jackson and Kenny Anderson. As strictly freshman phenom types I've yet to see anyone hit the scene that surpasses what they did in College.

I'm checking Young out now. Will try and catch a little more of him later in the year. The announcers are sort of letting him have it.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2018 3:21 pm 

pizza_Place: Obbies
Leading the Nation in scoring and assists....don't remember that happenimg

I'm out.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2018 11:32 pm 

pizza_Place: Drag's
long time guy wrote:
Regular Reader wrote:

For me the two toughest freshman college guards were Chris Jackson and Kenny Anderson. As strictly freshman phenom types I've yet to see anyone hit the scene that surpasses what they did in College.

I'm checking Young out now. Will try and catch a little more of him later in the year. The announcers are sort of letting him have it.

Great call. Not sure if it was they were freshmen but I vaguely remember them playing against each other in the tournament.

"Smiles with Nostrils"

"...no Hmong, go find some blacks"

PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2018 12:11 am 

Regular Reader wrote:

Bobby Hurley? He was the 3rd best player on his own team. How could he be the best guard to play in college bball?

Frank Coztansa wrote:
I have MANY years of experience in trying to appreciate steaming piles of dogshit.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2018 12:26 am 

Location: Bohemian Club Annual World Power Consolidation Conference & Golf Outing
pizza_Place: World Fluoridation Conspiracy Pizza & WINGS!
Magic Johnson was pretty good.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2018 10:46 am 

DannyB wrote:
long time guy wrote:
Regular Reader wrote:

Great call. Not sure if it was they were freshmen but I vaguely remember them playing against each other in the tournament.

They did meet in the tournament. Anderson was a freshman and Jackson a sophomore. Georgia Tech won and ended up in the final four that year.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2018 10:57 am 

pizza_Place: Pizza Hut
Not taking anything from Young, missed 25 shots yesterday, still put up a lot of points, still a lot of missed shots, has some Steph Curry in him with hitting some long 3's though.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2018 11:00 am 
1000 CLUB

pizza_Place: Zaffiro's
I'm not sure if he's the best, but he's certainly the most skilled offensive player I've seen at his age. His array of moves around the basket combined with his range and quick release is unbelievable.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2018 11:27 am 

RFDC wrote:
Regular Reader wrote:

Bobby Hurley? He was the 3rd best player on his own team. How could he be the best guard to play in college bball?

Bobby Hurley was the straw that stirred the drink on that team imo. What can I say, I loved the guy's heart.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2018 11:29 am 

pizza_Place: Oh I'm sorry but, there's no one on the line
Best guard I have ever seen in college ball? Yaz.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2018 11:31 am 

Dr. Kenneth Noisewater wrote:
Magic Johnson was pretty good.

It's funny how he's taken for granted and then routinely ignored in these discussions

PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2018 11:31 am 

Best college basketball player I've ever seen was Glenn Robinson.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2018 11:34 am 
1000 CLUB

Regular Reader wrote:
RFDC wrote:
Regular Reader wrote:

Bobby Hurley was the straw that stirred the drink on that team imo. What can I say, I loved the guy's heart.

He was one edgy midget. Loved his game.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2018 12:31 pm 

pizza_Place: Il Forno in Deerfield!
Regular Reader wrote:
RFDC wrote:
Regular Reader wrote:

Hey you don't ever need to explain your love for Hurley to anyone. He is inarguably one of the greatest guards in NCAA history. 2x champ, all time leader assists. Also pretty sure he won the 2nd title while committing 1 turnover either the entire tournament or the entire F4 (forgot). And he helped engineer an upset in the F4 over a team many considered to be one of the best in history.

Guy was a stud, its a shame that car accident ended his career before it even started.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2018 12:32 pm 

I've been hyping this guy for 2 months and now you finally pay attention?

I'll give Dakich the benefit of the doubt for not mentioning Michael Jordan since Dakitch did in fact shut MJ down in MJ's last college game.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2018 12:39 pm 

As I've been saying since November, Trae is a poor man's Steph Curry (even though he's better than Curry at the same age).

his team is starting to fall apart from the strain of one guy having the ball 80% of the time. #21, #1 and to a lesser extent #20 and #0 shoot the ball whenever they get it and it's usually some forced drive into traffic.

It's all on Lon Kruger now to see if he can figure out a way to integrate Trae's game into a team concept. So far Kruger hasn't done anything other than roll a ball out there and say go do whatever you want.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2018 12:51 pm 

pizza_Place: Pizza Hut
shakes wrote:
As I've been saying since November, Trae is a poor man's Steph Curry (even though he's better than Curry at the same age).

his team is starting to fall apart from the strain of one guy having the ball 80% of the time. #21, #1 and to a lesser extent #20 and #0 shoot the ball whenever they get it and it's usually some forced drive into traffic.

It's all on Lon Kruger now to see if he can figure out a way to integrate Trae's game into a team concept. So far Kruger hasn't done anything other than roll a ball out there and say go do whatever you want.

Listening to Dan Mcneil and Tim Doyle, there talking about Trae Young now, how he's got some Steph Curry and if he comes to the Bulls, will be an exciting team by next year.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2018 1:06 pm 
1000 CLUB

reents wrote:
shakes wrote:

Listening to Dan Mcneil and Tim Doyle, there talking about Trae Young now, how he's got some Steph Curry and if he comes to the Bulls, will be an exciting team by next year.

From the little I've seen of him, I wouldn't say he has elite explosiveness or athleticism. That would be my main concern about him. But his game is ridiculously polished for an 18-year-old.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2018 2:05 pm 

Regular Reader wrote:
RFDC wrote:
Regular Reader wrote:

No doubt. He was a great player. I just dont think he is above some others in greatest guard of all time.

He maybe the grittiest guard to ever play the college game.

Frank Coztansa wrote:
I have MANY years of experience in trying to appreciate steaming piles of dogshit.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2018 2:06 pm 

Ive seen clips of Gary Payton @ Oregon.. He would rape Hurley.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2018 2:20 pm 

RFDC wrote:
Regular Reader wrote:
RFDC wrote:
Regular Reader wrote:

No doubt. He was a great player. I just dont think he is above some others in greatest guard of all time.

You need to change your perspective. he's comfortably one of the greatest players in CBB history.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1683694-ranking-the-10-greatest-point-guards-in-college-basketball-history

http://www.ncaa.com/news/basketball-men/article/2017-09-04/best-college-basketball-point-guards-last-30-years

PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2018 2:21 pm 

312player wrote:
Ive seen clips of Gary Payton @ Oregon.. He would rape Hurley.

that's awesome, you've seen clips.

Payton was great. He was slightly worse than Hurley as a college player, but they're in the same tier of greats.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2018 2:32 pm 

shakes wrote:
RFDC wrote:
Regular Reader wrote:
RFDC wrote:
Regular Reader wrote:

You need to change your perspective. he's comfortably one of the greatest players in CBB history.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1683694-ranking-the-10-greatest-point-guards-in-college-basketball-history

http://www.ncaa.com/news/basketball-men/article/2017-09-04/best-college-basketball-point-guards-last-30-years

I dont think I do. He was a great player. One of the best PGs to play. That one link has him as #9 I am completely good with that.

RR had him and Jason Kidd listed as the greatest guard college has ever seen. I just dont think that is the case. He is not the greatest guard to play the game.

Magic
Oscar
Pistol Pete
Isiah Thomas

All better than Hurley.

Again, Hurley was a great player. But not the greatest guard college has ever seen.

Frank Coztansa wrote:

PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2018 2:36 pm 

RFDC wrote:
shakes wrote:
RFDC wrote:
Regular Reader wrote:
RFDC wrote:
Regular Reader wrote:

I dont think I do. He was a great player. One of the best PGs to play. That one link has him as #9 I am completely good with that.

RR had him and Jason Kidd listed as the greatest guard college has ever seen. I just dont think that is the case. He is not the greatest guard to play the game.

Magic
Oscar
Pistol Pete
Isiah Thomas

All better than Hurley.

Again, Hurley was a great player. But not the greatest guard college has ever seen.

Maybe he never saw those guys? They pre-date me in terms of their college careers.

I guess we're saying the same thing...I thought you were saying you didn't consider Hurley to be an all time great. All those guys are all time greats.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2018 2:39 pm 

shakes wrote:

I guess we're saying the same thing...I thought you were saying you didn't consider Hurley to be an all time great. All those guys are all time greats.

Yeah I think we are saying the same thing. I was not intending to diss Hurley at all. He was great. It is a testament to how good Duke was at that time that Hurley was their 3rd best player.

It really is too bad that we did not get to see his real game transition to the NBA.

Frank Coztansa wrote:

PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2018 3:28 pm 

RFDC wrote:
shakes wrote:

Yeah I think we are saying the same thing. I was not intending to diss Hurley at all. He was great. It is a testament to how good Duke was at that time that Hurley was their 3rd best player.

It really is too bad that we did not get to see his real game transition to the NBA.

At the same stage Hurley was nowhere near the player Kenny Anderson was. Same stage really applies in this case because Kenny Anderson left after 2 years. Hurley stayed for four. They entered the same year.. Kenny Anderson dominated as a Freshman. He was a true phenom.

Hurley was good and benefitted from having great players namely Grant Hill Laettner around him.

I stlll remember him being injured during one of his seasons and K placing Hill at the point. Team didn't miss a beat and in all honesty looked better with Hlll as the point IMO.

There were a number of guards better than him as a college player.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2018 3:57 pm 

pizza_Place: Quonset
So, is Hurley in the top 50 college point guards all-time? Top 40? Top 20?