It is currently Sat Jun 08, 2024 1:56 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1293 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 34, 35, 36, 37, 38, 39, 40 ... 44  Next
PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2021 11:17 am 

pizza_Place: Vito and Nick's
Kelly sucks. They'll never be the champ with him unless the game gets significantly watered down. Sure, they go 12-1 or whatever, but he loses every big game he plays. Sure, he can win the Pinstripe Bowl, but who cares.

What good team--at full strength--have his Irish teams beaten? They beat Michigan State about 7 years ago, but that's it.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2021 11:19 am 

Brick wrote:
tommy wrote:
Until I hear some specific examples, this is all speculation.
You can see the offer list of Alabama/Clemson players. Most of them will have a ND offer too especially for the elite talent. How exactly do you think Notre Dame recruits? A top 50 player is out there and receptive to visiting Notre Dame as a junior and they are like "Are you a 4.0 student? If not, head to Alabama".

tommy wrote:
Not the same thing, but ND has a high graduation rate for its football players (75% or so). That's good because so many D-1 players leave school with nothing. Not just the SEC, but they used to be abysmal in this area. Georgia, LSU, Auburn specifically. The graduation percentages for the African American players was even worse.
ND has a reputation in general as being nearly impossible to get into and nearly impossible to not graduate from. 95% of the people who go to Notre Dame graduate from Notre Dame. That's better than even a place like Northwestern and Michigan.

At Alabama, it's 68%.

None of what you said provides any evidence. Instead, we have the ol' Brick analogy or anecdote....

PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2021 11:21 am 

pizza_Place: Pizanos
tommy wrote:
Kelly sucks. They'll never be the champ with him unless the game gets significantly watered down. Sure, they go 12-1 or whatever, but he loses every big game he plays. Sure, he can win the Pinstripe Bowl, but who cares.

What good team--at full strength--have his Irish teams beaten? They beat Michigan State about 7 years ago, but that's it.

I hear you but he’s a competent coach that just can’t quite compete at the saban/dabo level.

I’m not eager to go back to the post-Holtz, pre-Kelly years.

We walk, talk, and won't shit our pants

PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2021 11:24 am 

This Ends in Antioch wrote:
I’m off the ledge on Kelly. He’s reliable and they can’t make perfect the enemy of good.

I can't stand the guy and his teams blow, but that's a good point. Once they go 4-8 three straight years, his tenure will look good.

But the guy is an attractive lady. He's up there complaining because his teams don't get respect. Well, try to win in the playoffs, and maybe keep your players from getting catfished. He's also bitched about former rivalry games, but I guess ND has to play their rivals on the Atlantic these days.

Urban Meyer please.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2021 11:42 am 

tommy wrote:
None of what you said provides any evidence. Instead, we have the ol' Brick analogy or anecdote....
You aren't exactly overflowing with information here either.

However, here is some evidence.
https://notredame.rivals.com/offers/football/2021

For 2021, they offered 8 Alabama commits. They offered 9 Clemson commits. They offered 12 OSU commits. That's 29 players they offered that went to the 3 other playoff schools. Then you can add in the 7 LSU commits they offered and the 6 Georgia commits they offered to include other low standards SEC schools.

That also isn't a complete list as I'm sure many of their commits also had offers to those schools and also a couple probably still went somewhere else. For instance, in 2018, OSU had 7 offers that went to Notre Dame instead. That means at a minimum that OSU and Notre Dame had 19 combined offers that went to either OSU or Notre Dame, while a few more likely went to other places that shared an offer.

I just did a quick search on 2020 and 2019 and the numbers are somewhat similar every year.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2021 12:18 pm 

for those of you who want an 8 team playoff:

have there been many instances when you thought the best team in the country, or at least the second best team in the country, was not the champion?

I've been pretty satisfied with what the 4 team format has produced.

The only thing an 8 team will add is the "small" school underdog to root for, as if UCF or Cincinnati or even NIU from a few year's back are small schools. That can be fun, but ultimately unproductive.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2021 12:25 pm 

pizza_Place: Chuck E Cheese
tommy wrote:
Dabo Swinney has been getting pilloried by the media over the past few days. I don't understand why.

He took a program that was probably 11-20 nationally since Danny Ford got there and turned it into the very best. His six-year run has been amazing. Clemson won 2 national titles and almost won a third, were in the playoffs six years straight, and wore out the SEC, something Clemson had never done (except in '81, those bastards). With his accent, his football goofiness, his "God doesn't say 'Oops,' He gives Opps" wisdom, his conservatism, and his outrageous salary, Dabo is an easy whipping boy. But he's run a relatively clean program, which hasn't always been the case at Clemson, and he graduates his players.

He's also made Florida State and Miami irrelevant. That right there is enough.

He's just as big, if not a bigger douche, than Kelly who you think sucks. We're talking NCAA coaches at elite programs, they're all egomaniacal jagbags.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2021 12:28 pm 

pizza_Place: Clamburger's
good dolphin wrote:
for those of you who want an 8 team playoff:

have there been many instances when you thought the best team in the country, or at least the second best team in the country, was not the champion?

I've been pretty satisfied with what the 4 team format has produced.

The only thing an 8 team will add is the "small" school underdog to root for, as if UCF or Cincinnati or even NIU from a few year's back are small schools. That can be fun, but ultimately unproductive.

8 team playoff is about putting more teams on that elite level which allows them to get better recruits.

Which in turn will help to pull away a few 5 stars from Alabama and Clemson.

The best players going to 3 or 4 schools every year is killing the playoff.

That’s it.

That’s all.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2021 12:53 pm 

I wouldn’t hand wave a potential Cinderella like that Boise State fiesta bowl team or like UCF a couple years ago.

That type of thing is never going to happen with the current configuration.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2021 12:54 pm 

Any move to an 8 team playoff will likely include the Power 5 forming their own division.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2021 12:56 pm 

Why?

That’s sounds like taking your ball home because you don’t want to share.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2021 1:00 pm 

Brick wrote:
Any move to an 8 team playoff will likely include the Power 5 forming their own division.

Why? It’d likely involve more money and would probably include 8 of their teams most years.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2021 1:04 pm 

I don’t understand the disgust for the group of 5 teams by certain people.

The playoff semifinals have been by far more blow outs than close games.

The complaint that a Cincinnati wouldn’t be deserving because they’d get stomped doesn’t hold up.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2021 1:06 pm 

Jbi11s wrote:
Why?

That’s sounds like taking your ball home because you don’t want to share.

1) More money. Why split money with Conference USA when you don't have to? What value does any member of them bring?
2) Bigger investment. This likely comes with the players getting "more" in terms of compensation. Most of the non-P5 have no way of increasing their football expenses.
3) It solves the complaints about how unfair it is that Cincinnati can go undefeated and not get into the playoffs. What happens when Ball State goes 13-0 and is left out of the 8 team playoff? Instead, they can be the one seed in the non-P5 playoffs.
4) More equal scheduling. It's a lot easier to judge the strength of Wisconsin vs. Auburn for a spot in the playoffs than it is Wisconsin vs. the best team from Conference USA playing a bunch of bad teams.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2021 1:08 pm 

So it’s just about your disgust for group of 5 teams?

Cool.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2021 1:10 pm 

pizza_Place: Chuck E Cheese
Sounds like the playoff system sucks and we should go back to the old bowl system where we didn't have this problem.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2021 1:11 pm 

Brick wrote:

Why? It’d likely involve more money and would probably include 8 of their teams most years.

If you expand to 8, you almost certainly have to reserve a spot for the non-P5 or they will sue just like they did for the BCS to get a guaranteed spot. Also, adding in an 8th team guaranteed to be from a big school increases the total tv deal. The ratings for bowl games with the best non-P5 bowl team is normally far worse. The three lowest rated BCS or equivalent bowl games had Houston, WMU, and TCU right before they joined the Big 12 I believe.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2021 1:13 pm 

Jbi11s wrote:

Cool.

Where do you get that I have disgust for the non-P5 teams?

There are just big differences between the P5 and the rest of college football. There are divisions for a reason.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2021 1:16 pm 

KDdidit wrote:
Sounds like the playoff system sucks and we should go back to the old bowl system where we didn't have this problem.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2021 1:20 pm 

Brick wrote:
Brick wrote:

If you expand to 8, you almost certainly have to reserve a spot for the non-P5 or they will sue just like they did for the BCS to get a guaranteed spot. Also, adding in an 8th team guaranteed to be from a big school increases the total tv deal. The ratings for bowl games with the best non-P5 bowl team is normally far worse. The three lowest rated BCS or equivalent bowl games had Houston, WMU, and TCU right before they joined the Big 12 I believe.

I don’t buy that the tv deal would suffer due to the inclusion of an undefeated mid-major at the expense of some 2nd tier power 5 team.

Would the playoff receive less for the broadcasting rights because a network may have to air Cincinnati instead of Iowa state?

PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2021 1:21 pm 

Brick wrote:
Jbi11s wrote:

Cool.

There are just big differences between the P5 and the rest of college football. There are divisions for a reason.

You’ve just never said anything positive about them.

8 teams would be fun.

The ratings would be great because this isn’t the ridiculous BCS.

A whole Saturday of playoff NCAA football would be a ratings bonanza!!!

Also keep in mind, outside of the GO5 argument, is that 5 star recruiting wouldn’t be limited to 3 or 4 teams.

That is the real goal of an 8 team playoff.

Spread the recruiting around to other very good programs.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2021 1:22 pm 

Brick wrote:
Brick wrote:

I don’t buy that the tv deal would suffer due to the inclusion of an undefeated mid-major at the expense of some 2nd tier power 5 team.

Would the playoff receive less for the broadcasting rights because a network may have to air Cincinnati instead of Iowa state?

Correct the ratings argument is bullshit.

A whole day of college playoff football is guaranteed ratings.

The BCS was a joke.

It cannot be taken seriously when referenced in an argument.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2021 1:28 pm 

Almost certainly. The tv deals are sold in advance. Just look at how the other bowls go. They would much rather sign a deal to get the 7th best Big Ten team than the conference champion of any other non-P5 conference. The non-P5 New Years 6(formerly the BCS) is almost given the worst time slot and has the lowest ratings.

Plus, the payout is then split to the other conferences whereas if they aren't there the total deal goes up for every P5 conference.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2021 1:32 pm 

Jbi11s wrote:
Brick wrote:
Jbi11s wrote:

Cool.

You’ve just never said anything positive about them.

8 teams would be fun.

The ratings would be great because this isn’t the ridiculous BCS.

A whole Saturday of playoff NCAA football would be a ratings bonanza!!!

Also keep in mind, outside of the GO5 argument, is that 5 star recruiting wouldn’t be limited to 3 or 4 teams.

That is the real goal of an 8 team playoff.

Spread the recruiting around to other very good programs.
You didn't refute anything I said though.

Ratings would be even higher without the non-P5 teams based on almost all data on the amount of viewers that big time programs bring in vs. any non-P5 and the P5 doesn't have to share any of the money anyways.

The non-P5 teams are NEVER getting 5 star recruits unless their dad is a coach there or something. It may spread the talent out among the P5 a little more though but obviously that is more likely with a P5 only playoffs.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2021 1:33 pm 

Two different arguments.

Why combine them?

PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2021 1:36 pm 

Jbi11s wrote:
Brick wrote:
Brick wrote:

Correct the ratings argument is bullshit.

A whole day of college playoff football is guaranteed ratings.

The BCS was a joke.

It cannot be taken seriously when referenced in an argument.

Ok, let's assume that the P5 having 7 teams and one non-P5 team gets the exact same ratings as having 8 P5 teams even though almost all data says that bowl games get their lowest ratings when they go from having two P5 teams to only one P5 team.

The P5 STILL makes more money if they don't have to split the revenue with anyone but the P5. Assuming all teams get an even split of the revenue in the playoff, then the non-P5 team pulls down 1/8th of the share. If there isn't a non-P5 team in there then one of the P5 teams(and likely the conference as bowl revenue among the P5 is mostly split between all schools) is instead getting that money.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2021 1:36 pm 

Jbi11s wrote:
Two different arguments.

Why combine them?
Didn't you bring it up?

PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2021 1:39 pm 

Brick wrote:

Almost certainly. The tv deals are sold in advance. Just look at how the other bowls go. They would much rather sign a deal to get the 7th best Big Ten team than the conference champion of any other non-P5 conference. The non-P5 New Years 6(formerly the BCS) is almost given the worst time slot and has the lowest ratings.

Plus, the payout is then split to the other conferences whereas if they aren't there the total deal goes up for every P5 conference.

That compares one game to the whole of the playoff and its 5 game inventory.

If you want the SEC champ or Notre Dame or whoever, you’d have to buy the hypothetical UCF game. There is no split for something that doesn’t exist, but I’d imagine the P5 could/would find a way to come out ahead.

Last edited by This Ends in Antioch on Mon Jan 04, 2021 1:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2021 1:48 pm 

So it’s about not sharing money?

PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2021 1:48 pm 

Brick wrote:
Jbi11s wrote:
Two different arguments.

Why combine them?
Didn't you bring it up?

Sure why not?

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1293 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 34, 35, 36, 37, 38, 39, 40 ... 44  Next