It is currently Thu Jun 06, 2024 12:15 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 147 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject: Re: Next Coach at IU
PostPosted: Tue Mar 23, 2021 6:01 am 
1000 CLUB

pizza_Place: Zaffiro's
Isiah Thomas remains available.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 23, 2021 6:04 am 

Tall Midget wrote:
Isiah Thomas remains available.

The name that keeps on popping up is Mike Woodson. :lol:

PostPosted: Tue Mar 23, 2021 7:42 am 

Brick wrote:
Reports coming out that they had a deal with Thad Matta but he had to drop out after getting a physical. They probably had the deal in place prior to firing Archie.

Yeah I read that, but it seemed to be shot down really quickly. Is giving a head coaching candidate a physical something they even do? :lol: That seemed bizarre.

Frank Coztansa wrote:
I have MANY years of experience in trying to appreciate steaming piles of dogshit.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 23, 2021 7:51 am 

RFDC wrote:
Brick wrote:
Reports coming out that they had a deal with Thad Matta but he had to drop out after getting a physical. They probably had the deal in place prior to firing Archie.

Yeah I read that, but it seemed to be shot down really quickly. Is giving a head coaching candidate a physical something they even do? :lol: That seemed bizarre.
When you have real health issues, unlike the made up ones of Urban Meyer, you do. He's supposedly in pretty rough shape for his age.

It does seem bizarre. However, the timing of Archie's firing indicates they had the next guy likely lined up already and he wasn't playing in the NCAA tournament. Matta would fit. That's why initially when this started the speculation was Beilein or Matta.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 23, 2021 7:55 am 

Brick wrote:
However, the timing of Archie's firing indicates they had the next guy likely lined up already and he wasn't playing in the NCAA tournament. Matta would fit. That's why initially when this started the speculation was Beilein or Matta.

There is some thought that Archie was fired because there was indications from Stevens camp that he was really interested and that if he had not shown interest they would have rolled with Archie for another year. Not sure I believe that, but things have been rather strange.

I can see it going to Beilein.

Some think they are going after Bennett now that Virginia is done, but if he turned them down once I doubt he is going to change his mind this time around. He has a pretty good thing going there.

I am going to start a rumor that it is Painter.

Frank Coztansa wrote:
I have MANY years of experience in trying to appreciate steaming piles of dogshit.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 23, 2021 8:00 am 

RFDC wrote:
There is some thought that Archie was fired because there was indications from Stevens camp that he was really interested and that if he had not shown interest they would have rolled with Archie for another year. Not sure I believe that, but things have been rather strange.
Then your AD should be fired today. If you want Stevens, you keep Archie until the NBA playoffs are off and then launch him. Stevens would be a national joke if he quit on the Celtics during the season to go to college.

RFDC wrote:
Some think they are going after Bennett now that Virginia is done, but if he turned them down once I doubt he is going to change his mind this time around. He has a pretty good thing going there.
Virginia is a better program than IU though.

RFDC wrote:
I am going to start a rumor that it is Painter.
I bet they have called his agent.

I do have to wonder if they are going to throw big money at Porter Moser. I wasn't a believer in him but it looks like he'll have two good tournament runs now.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 23, 2021 8:24 am 

I could see Moser getting some attention. His team has sure looked good and there is no doubt he outcoached Underwood.

Frank Coztansa wrote:

PostPosted: Tue Mar 23, 2021 8:27 am 

RFDC wrote:
I could see Moser getting some attention. His team has sure looked good and there is no doubt he outcoached Underwood.

I have to believe that is the name at the top of the Marquette list.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 23, 2021 8:33 am 
1000 CLUB

Hawg Ass wrote:
RFDC wrote:

If Moser goes, I doubt it would be to a place like Marquette. That's only about a half step above Loyola, if that.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 23, 2021 8:34 am 
1000 CLUB

RFDC wrote:

Saying that Moser outcoached Underwood implies that Underwood actually did any coaching in that game. I didn't see any evidence of this.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 23, 2021 8:36 am 

Tall Midget wrote:
Hawg Ass wrote:
RFDC wrote:

If Moser goes, I doubt it would be to a place like Marquette. That's only about a half step above Loyola, if that.

Not from a money standpoint it is not, I know at one point and time that Buzz Williams was a Top 10 paid coach in college basketball, I don't think Loyola is paying that.
He apparently was very close to going to St. Johns a couple of years ago.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 23, 2021 8:37 am 

Tall Midget wrote:
RFDC wrote:

Saying that Moser outcoached Underwood implies that Underwood actually did any coaching in that game. I didn't see any evidence of this.

:lol: good point

Frank Coztansa wrote:

PostPosted: Tue Mar 23, 2021 8:37 am 
1000 CLUB

Hawg Ass wrote:
Tall Midget wrote:
Hawg Ass wrote:
RFDC wrote:

Not from a money standpoint it is not, I know at one point and time that Buzz Williams was a Top 10 paid coach in college basketball, I don't think Loyola is paying that.
He apparently was very close to going to St. Johns a couple of years ago.

I would think Moser will have more attractive opportunities than Marquette.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 23, 2021 9:05 am 

RFDC wrote:

I've been critical of Moser in the past.

He has been near perfect in this tournament.

If I were a big time program, I would also be aware that he lost in the first round of the MVC tournament last year as the #1 seed and didn't make the NCAA tournament the year before with 3 MVC POY on his team

PostPosted: Tue Mar 23, 2021 1:10 pm 

good dolphin wrote:
RFDC wrote:

I've been critical of Moser in the past.

He has been near perfect in this tournament.

If I were a big time program, I would also be aware that he lost in the first round of the MVC tournament last year as the #1 seed and didn't make the NCAA tournament the year before with 3 MVC POY on his team

I believe that Moser has more NCAA tournament wins in the past 5 days as every team in the state of Illinois has in the past decade combined.

Is Moser going to turn Loyola into a Gonzaga? Probably unlikely, but he'll see a better caliber of recruit going forward and also be really attractive for transfers. He's making a million bucks a year living in one of the best cities in the world. I get that these head coaches (in football and basketball) are always looking for the next big thing, but there have to be a few guys out there who value stability and familiarity over chasing the "next best" job.

He's also been humbled before with his less than stellar tenure at ISU.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 23, 2021 1:15 pm 

One Post wrote:
Is Moser going to turn Loyola into a Gonzaga? Probably unlikely, but he'll see a better caliber of recruit going forward and also be really attractive for transfers. He's making a million bucks a year living in one of the best cities in the world. I get that these head coaches (in football and basketball) are always looking for the next big thing, but there have to be a few guys out there who value stability and familiarity over chasing the "next best" job.
There are big jobs that can setup his kids for life with the salary he would get. Archie Miller is getting a $10 million check to not coach Indiana and made $11 million the last 3 years.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 23, 2021 1:32 pm 
Site Admin

pizza_Place: Malnati's
Brick wrote:
One Post wrote:
There are big jobs that can setup his kids for life with the salary he would get. Archie Miller is getting a $10 million check to not coach Indiana and made $11 million the last 3 years.

Moser is a local guy that comes from money.

He is beloved by those in charge at Loyola and will get another raise this year. I’m not sure he is looking for the next best job. And Loyola will do what they can financially to keep him.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 23, 2021 9:22 pm 

Brick wrote:
One Post wrote:

He’s going to make $1M+ a year at Loyola till the day he retires. If he can’t set up his kids for life on that, then he is either stupid or has one or more addictions.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 24, 2021 7:06 am 

One Post wrote:
Brick wrote:
One Post wrote:

He’s going to make $1M+ a year at Loyola till the day he retires. If he can’t set up his kids for life on that, then he is either stupid or has one or more addictions.
Let's say IU offers him $4 million a year and guarantees it all for the next 7 years. Is his answer "Nope. $1M a year is basically the same"?

I wasn't aware that Moser supposedly comes from money already but I can't think of any coaches who didn't end up taking the bigger payday when it was offered. Moser turned down a few lowball offers the first time but the big money is probably coming now.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 24, 2021 7:10 am 
1000 CLUB

Brick wrote:
One Post wrote:
Brick wrote:
One Post wrote:

Let's say IU offers him $4 million a year and guarantees it all for the next 7 years. Is his answer "Nope. $1M a year is basically the same"?

I wasn't aware that Moser supposedly comes from money already but I can't think of any coaches who didn't end up taking the bigger payday when it was offered. Moser turned down a few lowball offers the first time but the big money is probably coming now.

Yup. People prefer more money to less money. Who would've thunk it?

PostPosted: Wed Mar 24, 2021 7:56 am 
Site Admin

pizza_Place: Malnati's
Brick wrote:
One Post wrote:
Brick wrote:
One Post wrote:

His family owned a lumber company in Naperville for years.

They also paid Loyola's fee to enter that the 3rd tourney that ran in the spring pre-covid. It was the year before the Final Four run they made. It saved his job for him.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 24, 2021 8:16 am 

Brick wrote:
One Post wrote:
Brick wrote:
One Post wrote:

I'd like you to quote where I said it's the "same". Go ahead, just use the quote function. Don't work too hard because I never said it was the "same".

If I had 5 cheeseburgers in front of me I have more than enough to eat for my meal. Sure 20 is more cheeseburgers, but I'm not sure that is going to guarantee me more happiness. And maybe, trying to scarf down 20 cheeseburgers will actually make me less happy.

My point was, that Moser and his children will be fine if he works at Loyola for the next 20 years and makes $30,000,000 over that time period.

We're not talking about a guy making minimum wage turning down a job making 30 bucks an hour.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 24, 2021 8:18 am 

One post sounds like a fan who wants to convince himself that Moser will stay at Loyola forever.

Maybe it will happen, but the Mark Fews of the world are a pretty small group.

I would bet Moser moves on to another job with big $$$ at some point.

Frank Coztansa wrote:

PostPosted: Wed Mar 24, 2021 8:26 am 
1000 CLUB

RFDC wrote:
One post sounds like a fan who wants to convince himself that Moser will stay at Loyola forever.

Right, it's certainly possible that Moser will turn down better offers from power-conference schools to stay at Loyola. But it's hardly likely.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 24, 2021 8:27 am 

RFDC wrote:

I have no rooting interest in Moser at Loyola.

I just always wonder if college basketball/football coaches ever reflect on all the job jumping they did and think back that maybe staying at one place, even if it isn't the most high profile program, wouldn't have resulted in a more fulfilling life.

I look at Kevin Sumlin here in Houston. He could have won between 8 - 12 games a year for 20+ seasons and made anywhere from 1.5mm to 2.5mm a year. His family would have tremendous stability and so would he. Instead he jumped for Texas A&M, got shitcanned there for not meeting "expectations", then moved to Arizona where he failed spectacularly.

Sure, he's got plenty of money, but he still would have plenty of money had he coached at UH for the past 12 years or so. I get that these guys probably never get a top job unless they are wired to always be climbing, but I always wonder if those guys reflect back on their life/career and wish they would have chosen the path less taken. Because you know, sometimes that makes all the difference.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 24, 2021 8:32 am 

One Post wrote:
RFDC wrote:

I just always wonder if college basketball/football coaches ever reflect on all the job jumping they did and think back that maybe staying at one place, even if it isn't the most high profile program, wouldn't have resulted in a more fulfilling life.

I look at Kevin Sumlin here in Houston. He could have won between 8 - 12 games a year for 20+ seasons and made anywhere from 1.5mm to 2.5mm a year. His family would have tremendous stability and so would he. Instead he jumped for Texas A&M, got shitcanned there for not meeting "expectations", then moved to Arizona where he failed spectacularly.

Sure, he's got plenty of money, but he still would have plenty of money had he coached at UH for the past 12 years or so. I get that these guys probably never get a top job unless they are wired to always be climbing, but I always wonder if those guys reflect back on their life/career and wish they would have chosen the path less taken. Because you know, sometimes that makes all the difference.

Fair enough. Will be interesting to see what Moser does, there is no doubt he will have offers.

Frank Coztansa wrote:

PostPosted: Wed Mar 24, 2021 8:49 am 

One Post wrote:
I'd like you to quote where I said it's the "same". Go ahead, just use the quote function. Don't work too hard because I never said it was the "same".
You said he could set his kids up for life on $1 million a year just like he could on $4 million a year. I took that to say it was the same.

One Post wrote:
If I had 5 cheeseburgers in front of me I have more than enough to eat for my meal. Sure 20 is more cheeseburgers, but I'm not sure that is going to guarantee me more happiness. And maybe, trying to scarf down 20 cheeseburgers will actually make me less happy.
That's a terrible analogy. You physically can't eat 20 hamburgers. I have a feeling that Porter Moser could find something to do with an extra $20 million over the next 7 years.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 24, 2021 8:53 am 

One Post wrote:
RFDC wrote:

If you are a good coach or a bad coach it catches up to you eventually. If Porter Moser can't win at IU or Kansas State then eventually he's going to fail at Loyola.

As for Kevin Sumlin, he can do whatever he wants for the next year or two while still getting millions and then return to coaching if he wants and plenty of non-P5 schools will be willing to hire him.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 24, 2021 8:54 am 

I think you are minimizing the opportunity a program like Indiana brings beyond the money. You can win national championships and be in the conversation every year at IU if you are good. Loyola simply cannot offer that. Also, the resources are so comparatively small at Loyola that you have to do 10X the work just to keep up every year.

I have a feeling all these seniors are coming back to Loyola and Moser will as well. They will have lots of national attention from the beginning of the year. However, the MVC is going to be stacked next year.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 24, 2021 8:56 am 

Brick wrote:
One Post wrote:
You said he could set his kids up for life on $1 million a year just like he could on $4 million a year. I took that to say it was the same.

One Post wrote:
That's a terrible analogy. You physically can't eat 20 hamburgers. I have a feeling that Porter Moser could find something to do with an extra $20 million over the next 7 years.

You are assuming that the extra money that Moser will “find something to do with” will bring him more enrichment than the trade off of less money to perhaps stay at a place that provides non cash benefits.

I am not willing to make this assumption.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 147 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next