It is currently Thu May 23, 2024 7:52 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 409 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 14  Next
 Post subject: Re: Caitlin Clark
PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2023 7:39 am 

Curious Hair wrote:
Looks like we have another race war on our hands, or maybe just a race kerfuffle.

There is going to be a lot of jealousy about who in women's college athletics are making huge money from NIL and those who aren't. Pretty white girls are making huge money in college sports now.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2023 7:47 am 

Not the greatest presentation of the women's game when given the spotlight.

Those refs should get a very long talking to

PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2023 8:11 am 

pizza_Place: Palermo's 95th
veganfan21 wrote:
man of few opinions wrote:
And Clark not guarding that SC girl probably won them the game. I think she was the only Hawkeye to get a defensive board.

LSU seemed to take great offense to this for some reason. It was odd because it was directed at a different team.

Anyway, regarding the trolling/taunting, sometimes you have to take a step back and realize these guys are like 2-3 years removed from high school, otherwise known as drama central. College ain't that much different. Yeah, that "who cares about her" gesture Clark made at the SC player was disrespectful/unsportsmanlike. Yeah, what Reese did at the end of today's game was equally disrespectful/unsportsmanlike. But it's probably in line with behavioral norms for that age group. They won't be doing that 5-7 years from now on the WNBA. At least one would expect not. That said, you could definitely tell Reese was hella jealous of Clark. She diminished Clark's individual awards/recognition by saying she didn't care about that, she cared about winning, etc. She's jealous because she knows Clark is a more dynamic player with most likely a brighter future, whereas Reese appears to be a standard WNBA big.

How much WNBA basketball do you watch to know a "standard WNBA big" when you see one?

PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2023 8:14 am 

why is no one talking about our game

stop talking about our game

PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2023 8:18 am 

pizza_Place: Pizanos
Brick wrote:
Curious Hair wrote:
Looks like we have another race war on our hands, or maybe just a race kerfuffle.

There is going to be a lot of jealousy about who in women's college athletics are making huge money from NIL and those who aren't. Pretty white girls are making huge money in college sports now.

I think they’ll just keep rolling that LSU gymnast out there in the name of Title IX equality.

We walk, talk, and won't shit our pants

PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2023 8:29 am 

Brick wrote:
Curious Hair wrote:

the jealousy may very well be true, but its not like Clark hasn't earned the attention, and no one can say women of color aren't being highlighted when I can't turn on basketball game, regardless of level or gender and not see Candace Parker front and center

PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2023 8:34 am 
Site Admin

pizza_Place: Aurelio's
Brick wrote:
Curious Hair wrote:

I stopped watching when the Cavinder twins were eliminated.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2023 8:35 am 

pizza_Place: Lou Malnatis
good dolphin wrote:
Brick wrote:
Curious Hair wrote:

the jealousy may very well be true and no one can say women of color aren't being highlighted when I can't turn on basketball game, regardless of level or gender and not see Candace Parker front and center

Angel Reece would like a word.

It aint the six minutes. Its what happens in those six minutes.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2023 8:45 am 

good dolphin wrote:
Brick wrote:
Curious Hair wrote:

the jealousy may very well be true, but its not like Clark hasn't earned the attention, and no one can say women of color aren't being highlighted when I can't turn on basketball game, regardless of level or gender and not see Candace Parker front and center

I think their specific issue is more likely because of the gymnastics team at LSU.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2023 8:46 am 

Brick wrote:
good dolphin wrote:
Brick wrote:
Curious Hair wrote:

I think their specific issue is more likely because of the gymnastics team at LSU.

Is it the whole team or just that one girl?

PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2023 8:49 am 

pizza_Place: pizza and subs
I live in the QCA and its largely an IOWA "town" and these people are livid. its a bit ridiculous.

Here is my take. Nobody has given a crap about women's basketball. absolutely no one. nobody watches it. teams that "look" like SC and LSU have been running the show for years. but again. noone watches it for whatever reason you want to put on that.

These teams feel like they are elite but never get the coverage. never get the eyeballs. along comes Caitlin Clark and all the sudden now its a big deal. Obviously they feel like oh here we have an elite white girl and now everyone is fawning over this. I can only imagine the ratings are the highest they've ever been. So its not caitlin's fault

So I get it kind of. and yeah, these are shitty kids. we all were in college. I'm not worried about it.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2023 8:54 am 
Site Admin

This Ends in Antioch wrote:
Brick wrote:
good dolphin wrote:
Brick wrote:
Curious Hair wrote:

Is it the whole team or just that one girl?

There are at least two working social media like demons.

https://www.instagram.com/livvydunne/?hl=en
https://www.instagram.com/elena_arenas01/?hl=en

PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2023 8:56 am 

Appaently this one attends Northwestern and is a ummm figure skater. Might be worth some NIL bucks at some point.
https://www.instagram.com/p/CiN6723JsDV ... 42e394e3f6

PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2023 9:01 am 

pizza_Place: Warren Buffet of Cock
Looks like she stuffed some softballs in her bathing suit.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2023 9:02 am 

hnd wrote:
I live in the QCA and its largely an IOWA "town" and these people are livid. its a bit ridiculous.

Here is my take. Nobody has given a crap about women's basketball. absolutely no one. nobody watches it. teams that "look" like SC and LSU have been running the show for years. but again. noone watches it for whatever reason you want to put on that.

These teams feel like they are elite but never get the coverage. never get the eyeballs. along comes Caitlin Clark and all the sudden now its a big deal. Obviously they feel like oh here we have an elite white girl and now everyone is fawning over this. I can only imagine the ratings are the highest they've ever been. So its not caitlin's fault

So I get it kind of. and yeah, these are shitty kids. we all were in college. I'm not worried about it.

all true

Clark is also breaking just about every statistical record along the way, so it's not a situation of a good white player getting publicity over an elite black player. They put up names of some of the statistical company she's keeping and I remember names like Sheryl Swoopes, Chamique Holdsclaw, etc. but I am only a casual. So the elite do get their day. The very good may not.

Personally, I don't care about this palace intrigue. It has about as much relevance to me as Gwynth Paltrow's ski accident. I'll forget the sport by tipoff tonight. If I were the NCAA head of the sport and the SEC commissioner, I definitely would care and I'd get that shit handled very quickly. At the very least, find out if there is any truth to the very vague accusations about press bias.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2023 9:05 am 
Site Admin

"Go Fuck Your Self!"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_K16UgzzQ7E

PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2023 9:09 am 

Seems like NIL is doing a fine job of creating opportunities for talented athletes.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2023 9:36 am 

Seems like NIL is doing a fine job of creating opportunities for talented athletes.

Eventually, all the young ladies will realize their anger and jealousy is caused by the patriarchy and they will unite.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2023 9:38 am 

good dolphin wrote:

Eventually, all the young ladies will realize their anger and jealousy is caused by the patriarchy and they will unite.

Granted, they’ll be uniting against the attractive instagram models who happen to participate in niche sports, but they’ll be united.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2023 9:46 am 
100000 CLUB

pizza_Place: 773-684-2222
good dolphin wrote:

Granted, they’ll be uniting against the attractive instagram models who happen to participate in niche sports, but they’ll be united.

Televised orgy?

Blago: https://youtube.com/shorts/Lftdxd-YXt8?feature=share

"You can’t love your country only when you win." -President Biden

https://youtu.be/R6e4ruziZBI?si=1G4W1vbh0eGQuHfU

PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2023 9:48 am 

good dolphin wrote:

No, they will also realize that selling their bodies is a result of the patriarchy. They will then play in burquas, which will be considered a sign of feminism

PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2023 9:49 am 

pizza_Place: Boni Vino
good dolphin wrote:

I think Reese is very attractive and can hold her own looks-wise vs anyone. It’s kind if disingenuous for her to claim people say she looks “ghetto.”

PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2023 9:50 am 

pizza_Place: Malnati's
badrogue17 wrote:
good dolphin wrote:
Brick wrote:
Curious Hair wrote:

the jealousy may very well be true and no one can say women of color aren't being highlighted when I can't turn on basketball game, regardless of level or gender and not see Candace Parker front and center

This is taken out of context. Her basic message is if Caitlin Clark can do the "you can't see me" thing to someone else then why can't I? She's right. If you're gonna call Reese a poor sport for her taunt then you have to say the same about Caitlin's taunts.

Kyrie Irving will never win anything as a team's alpha: check
T.rubisky is a bust: check
Ben Simmons is a liability: check
The Fields Cult is dumb: double check

2013 CSFMB ROY

PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2023 10:00 am 

veganfan21 wrote:

This is taken out of context.

No, no it isnt. Nothing to do with taunting. What does what Clark did have anything to do with saying " this is for girls who look like me ". Think Clark could get away with saying that if Iowa had won ? Would we be having " its taken out of context arguments ? There would be an entirely different conversation if Clark literally followed Reece around for 15 seconds after the game waving her hand in her face and saying this was for girls who look like me at the press conference.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2023 10:04 am 

And answer this honestly vegan, are the girls from LSU concerned about whatever made up " disrespect" of another team that your opponent just beat if South Carolina started 5 white girls ?

PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2023 10:05 am 

veganfan21 wrote:
badrogue17 wrote:
good dolphin wrote:
Brick wrote:
Curious Hair wrote:

This is taken out of context. Her basic message is if Caitlin Clark can do the "you can't see me" thing to someone else then why can't I? She's right. If you're gonna call Reese a poor sport for her taunt then you have to say the same about Caitlin's taunts.

Bingo!

PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2023 10:15 am 

badrogue17 wrote:
veganfan21 wrote:

No, no it isnt. Nothing to do with taunting. What does what Clark did have anything to do with saying " this is for girls who look like me ". Think Clark could get away with saying that if Iowa had won ? Would we be having " its taken out of context arguments ? There would be an entirely different conversation if Clark literally followed Reece around for 15 seconds after the game waving her hand in her face and saying this was for girls who look like me at the press conference.

OK, she'd be compared to people like Larry Bird, Baker Mayfield or Bryce Harper. Colorful shit talkers who won like she did Friday.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2023 10:15 am 

badrogue17 wrote:
veganfan21 wrote:

Read the whole quote:

Quote:
"All year I was critiqued about who I was," Reese said. "I don't fit the narrative. I don't fit in a box that y'all want me to be in. I'm too hood. I'm too ghetto. Y'all told me that all year. But when other people do it, y'all say nothing. So this was for the girls that look like me, that's going to speak up on what they believe in. It's unapologetically you. That's what I did it for tonight. It was bigger than me tonight. It was bigger than me."

She's saying if you're gonna critique me but not Clark, then there's a double standard and I'm not going to take it. I'm not saying she's right/wrong, I'm just putting the quote in its proper context.

2013 CSFMB ROY

PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2023 10:18 am 

badrogue17 wrote:
And answer this honestly vegan, are the girls from LSU concerned about whatever made up " disrespect" of another team that your opponent just beat if South Carolina started 5 white girls ?

No, probably not. There's an obvious racial undertone at play here and we see it all the time. A talkative white player is perceived as gritty or tough while a talkative black player is a problem or acting out of order or whatever. It doesn't apply 100% of the time but the double standard is there. LSU obviously feels like Clark gets praised for stuff that LSU players would be criticized for.

2013 CSFMB ROY

PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2023 10:18 am 

It doesn't help to be willfully ignorant of an issue that was addressed after both games iowa played in of the final four. Let it see the light. It could be a productive conversation.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 409 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 14  Next