It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:01 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2016 10:42 am 

Fournette & McCaffrey out of bowl games.

Yes it is.

CDOM wrote:
When this is all over, which is not going to be for a while, Trump will be re-elected President.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2016 10:59 am 

seems like a dick move to me and I would certainly note it as a talent evaluator but I do understand that there are a lot of people making money from these games, none of whom will be employing you should something happen

I see both sides to this

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2016 11:09 am 

pizza_Place: nick n vito's
I like it, I hope it catches on and forces these greedy pricks to pay these kids. There are way too many shitty teams in bowls, I know Fournette would be playing if this was a championship game but the kid should have been able to turn pro last year.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2016 11:19 am 

Good for them though they can have insurance polices.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2016 11:23 am 

Hadn't heard about McCaffrey yet, but good for him too. Hell, I'm still trying to figure out which one previously is/was the Foster Farms(?) Bowl.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2016 10:17 am 

pizza_Place: Pizza Hut
I do understand it, but I wish these guys would play in the bowl games.

For me as a person, it would be hard to watch my teammates out there, playing the game, and I'm sitting out of it, not because of injury.

I know Fournette, will probably be a first rounder, Mccafrey thinking second, could be that one more time to showcase your talent and get a better draft pick too.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2016 10:53 am 

reents wrote:

For me as a person, it would be hard to watch my teammates out there, playing the game, and I'm sitting out of it, not because of injury.

I know Fournette, will probably be a first rounder, Mccafrey thinking second, could be that one more time to showcase your talent and get a better draft pick too.

If he's willing to quit on people he has built deep friendships with over the years, he will certainly do it for a less personal professional team.

Why not quit mid season as soon as draft position has been cemented?

PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2016 11:17 am 

good dolphin wrote:
reents wrote:

If he's willing to quit on people he has built deep friendships with over the years, he will certainly do it for a less personal professional team.

At some point you will see Rbs in particular sit out their 3rd season of college.

Yes it is.

CDOM wrote:
When this is all over, which is not going to be for a while, Trump will be re-elected President.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2016 11:20 am 

conns7901 wrote:
At some point you will see Rbs in particular sit out their 3rd season of college.
I don't see that happening for two reasons. One is that many of them are being paid under the table. The second is that NFL teams will hold that against them. NFL teams are already starting to drop players on their draft boards that are too smart and likely to quit early. NFL teams won't care you skipped the Sun Bowl. They will care that you chose not to play football for 18 months.

What I could see happening is that college running backs will require coaches to put them on a carries limit.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2016 11:35 am 

Boilermaker Rick wrote:

What I could see happening is that college running backs will require coaches to put them on a carries limit.

There is a better chance of them sitting out a season then that happening.

Yes it is.

CDOM wrote:

PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2016 11:36 am 

Boilermaker Rick wrote:
conns7901 wrote:
I don't see that happening for two reasons. One is that many of them are being paid under the table. The second is that NFL teams will hold that against them. NFL teams are already starting to drop players on their draft boards that are too smart and likely to quit early. NFL teams won't care you skipped the Sun Bowl. They will care that you chose not to play football for 18 months.

Sitting out is only an option for a limited few who have cemented their draft status (in terms of on field production).

I would look at these guys like I look at Alshon. How could I possibly give them a big, long term contract when I know they will not answer the bell every week.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2016 11:37 am 

Sitting out a meaningless bowl game like the Beef O'Brady's Bowl would be equal to sitting out the 4th preseason game in the NFL. Who cares?

PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2016 11:38 am 

conns7901 wrote:
Boilermaker Rick wrote:

Why? Every coach will choose the carries limit if they are so much of a stud they know they are a lock to be a high NFL draft pick.

Sitting out a whole season as a running back will drop them way down draft boards. A carries limit will not and the coach gets to use them in bigger games while not running them down against Vanderbilt.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2016 11:45 am 

Douchebag wrote:
Sitting out a meaningless bowl game like the Beef O'Brady's Bowl would be equal to sitting out the 4th preseason game in the NFL. Who cares?

We will see who cares. The market will end this immediately if either guy loses draft position.

The teams spend a lot of money testing for mental makeup and character.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2016 11:54 am 

Boilermaker Rick wrote:
conns7901 wrote:
Boilermaker Rick wrote:

Why? Every coach will choose the carries limit if they are so much of a stud they know they are a lock to be a high NFL draft pick.

Sitting out a whole season as a running back will drop them way down draft boards. A carries limit will not and the coach gets to use them in bigger games while not running them down against Vanderbilt.

So if Michigan is playing Ohio St for a berth in the CFP, the coach is going is to sit their stud running back after he hits a carry limit? Never happens.

Yes it is.

CDOM wrote:

PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2016 11:58 am 

conns7901 wrote:
So if Michigan is playing Ohio St for a berth in the CFP, the coach is going is to sit their stud running back after he hits a carry limit? Never happens.
The coach won't let him reach his carries limit before the Michigan-OSU game. If he does, then the player has the right to do the same thing these guys are doing.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2016 12:16 pm 

Boilermaker Rick wrote:
conns7901 wrote:
The coach won't let him reach his carries limit before the Michigan-OSU game. If he does, then the player has the right to do the same thing these guys are doing.

An arbitrary number of carries per season is not a good way to keep a guy healthy.

Giving a back 10 carries vs Rutgers is not helping stay healthy if he gets 45 carries vs Ohio St.

Yes it is.

CDOM wrote:

PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2016 12:18 pm 

pizza_Place: Chuck E Cheese
I love how the NFL and the NCAA make every decision for money and of course it's great, but as soon as a college kid does it he's a malcontent. Another reason that even though CFB is a my favorite sport it's also the most deserving of getting blown up.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2016 12:38 pm 

conns7901 wrote:
Boilermaker Rick wrote:
conns7901 wrote:

An arbitrary number of carries per season is not a good way to keep a guy healthy.

Giving a back 10 carries vs Rutgers is not helping stay healthy if he gets 45 carries vs Ohio St.
Are you just looking for an argument now?

I have no reason to respond to your comment. It has nothing to do with what I said.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2016 12:55 pm 

sports seem to be becoming less competitive at the higher levels and more at the lower

PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2016 1:07 pm 

It has everything to do with what you said. You said they should have a carry limit, you then responded the coach should make sure not to go over the limit before they get to a big game at the end of the season.

Saving their carries for bigger games does not help keep the player healthy.

Yes it is.

CDOM wrote:

PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2016 1:15 pm 

conns7901 wrote:
It has everything to do with what you said. You said they should have a carry limit, you then responded the coach should make sure not to go over the limit before they get to a big game at the end of the season.

Sure it does. You created an extreme example of 45 carries in a game which has nothing to do with what I said.

You set a carries limit at the start of the season and if you expect to crush Vanderbilt then you give other guys more of a chance and when you play a top team you give them the normal amount of carries.

The idea of a carries limit is not a difficult concept. Are you saying it would be impossible if your star RB demanded it?

PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2016 1:16 pm 

pizza_Place: Jimmy's Place
I sniff glue but draw the limit at 4xday.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2016 1:18 pm 

Boilermaker Rick wrote:
conns7901 wrote:

Sure it does. You created an extreme example of 45 carries in a game which has nothing to do with what I said.

You set a carries limit at the start of the season and if you expect to crush Vanderbilt then you give other guys more of a chance and when you play a top team you give them the normal amount of carries.

The idea of a carries limit is not a difficult concept. Are you saying it would be impossible if your star RB demanded it?

Nothing is impossible. It is just not feasible. The coach is paid millions of dollars to win games. He is not going to handcuff himself with a set number of carries throughout a game or season. It will also not protect the player as they will be used much more in the games that are against better and likely more physical teams.

Yes it is.

CDOM wrote:

PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2016 1:49 pm 

conns7901 wrote:
Nothing is impossible. It is just not feasible. The coach is paid millions of dollars to win games. He is not going to handcuff himself with a set number of carries throughout a game or season. It will also not protect the player as they will be used much more in the games that are against better and likely more physical teams.
He will if he wants to win. They do it all the time in early season games or in blowouts. Once again, a carries limit is not some foreign concept. You also don't seem to grasp the concept that less carries = less chance of injury. Why do you think these guys are sitting out the bowl game?

If a coach is given the choice of having a guy sit out or a carries limit he will choose the carries limit. You seem to think players are going to sit out and not play football for 18 months and the NFL won't care.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2016 3:50 pm 

pizza_Place: nick n vito's
reents wrote:

Jaylon Smith cost himself 20 million, more n more guys will take a pass in these meaningless garbage bowls.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2016 7:34 pm 

Jaylon SMith, said if he had to do it all over again, he would played in the Fiesta Bowl still.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap300000 ... -bowl-game

From Bruce Arians on players skipping Bowl games

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/20 ... oncern-me/

PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2016 7:50 pm 

good dolphin wrote:
reents wrote:

True on both points

PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2016 9:11 pm 

pizza_Place: Clamburger's
good dolphin wrote:
sports seem to be becoming less competitive at the higher levels and more at the lower

Are you just unable to see situations from multiple perspectives?

PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2016 9:44 pm 

pizza_Place: Oh I'm sorry but, there's no one on the line
Boilermaker Rick wrote:
conns7901 wrote:
He will if he wants to win. They do it all the time in early season games or in blowouts. Once again, a carries limit is not some foreign concept. You also don't seem to grasp the concept that less carries = less chance of injury. Why do you think these guys are sitting out the bowl game?

If a coach is given the choice of having a guy sit out or a carries limit he will choose the carries limit. You seem to think players are going to sit out and not play football for 18 months and the NFL won't care.

The problem you run into is if you have a highly talented bunch of starters, and no depth, you are going to be losing games if you have them on play limits. And how do you defend that in the press -- you could have gone 9-2, but because your RB only wants to carry 150 times a season and your DB only wants to come in on 3rd down passing situations, you have to put weaker players in and go 7-4? The difference between the Rose Bowl and the Motor City Bowl. I guess you could try to say this would help recruiting as you are permitting players to save themselves for the NFL, but unless you are already an established coach, you don't have too much time before winning becomes expected and you are cut loose for too many 6 and 7 win seasons.