It is currently Tue Apr 30, 2024 9:01 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 379 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 13  Next
PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2017 3:31 pm 

Hawg Ass wrote:
Boilermaker Rick wrote:
Purdue isn't nearly as good as they should be if they don't roll Northwestern today.

They are HUGE!! Ethan Happ really struggles against their size, he doesn't have a jump or set shot to combat his low post moves.
Their size works out well against a team like Wisconsin. It's caused problems with other teams though.

They've been very inconsistent.

Northwestern is down a player and also they aren't as good as their ranking indicates but I'll take a ranked team over the old Northwestern where it could only hurt you to lose to them.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2017 3:34 pm 

Boilermaker Rick wrote:
Hawg Ass wrote:
Boilermaker Rick wrote:
Purdue isn't nearly as good as they should be if they don't roll Northwestern today.

They are HUGE!! Ethan Happ really struggles against their size, he doesn't have a jump or set shot to combat his low post moves.
Their size works out well against a team like Wisconsin. It's caused problems with other teams though.

Northwestern is down a player and also they aren't as good as their ranking indicates but I'll take a ranked team over the old Northwestern where it could only hurt you to lose to them.

Big 10 as a whole has been disappointing to me, Maryland has probably been a little bit of a surprise. I don't think Wisconsin is consistent enough to make a run this year or hasn't proven it to me yet.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2017 5:02 pm 

pizza_Place: Il Forno in Deerfield!
Hawg Ass wrote:
shakes wrote:
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
shakes getting back into college hoops with a vengeance! I wish I could be that interested again. There was a time when it was hands down my favorite sport, nothing else close. But the rule changes trying to make it more like the NBA game and the one-and-dones caused me to lose interest.

Between 1985 and 1999ish I don't think there was anyone in the USA who followed CBB closer than me other than people getting paid to do it. It was my favorite sport by far. Used to get Basketball Times subscription every year, great newspaper. There was a time when I could've told you all of the top 100 high school prospects and where they were going to school. Used to be able to name the college that every NBA player went to.

Lost interest after my doc told me I couldn't play hoops anymore. Just got back into it and am really enjoying it again. Love the parity that has resulted from all the one and dones. Sure it would be great to see these guys play out a few years, but I don't really mind it as it makes every season exciting in that you don't really know who is gonna be good.

This season has been great. Great games just about every day or every other day, lots of exciting finishes, lots of upsets.

ON top of that , its the best DVR sport. With creative fast forwarding (skipping all free throws, fast forwarding through whistles until shot clock is at 10) you can knock out a CBB game in 15-20 minutes.

How many teams do you think can legit win the title this year?

I'll probably still finish last in the pool despite watching 900 more hours of CBB than anyone else on the board. That said, this year could be crazy. Hard to narrow it down to a few teams, but if you put a gun to my head and forced me to pick some I'd go with...

Villanova, Arizona and Kansas as my top 3 favorites.

Right behind them would be Louisville, UNC, Baylor, Florida State, WVA, UCLA (if they figure out how to play D).

Then you have some teams that are tough to get a read on like Gonzaga and Creighton. Creighton would've been in that top group or just below it till Mo Watson got hurt, but they looked good last night vs Butler and Patton is emerging as a superstar. Kentucky doesn't do it for me this year, aside from the big 3 the rest of the team doesn't impress. Virginia will be tough and could be a final 4 sleeper. Oregon the same.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2017 5:04 pm 

Boilermaker Rick wrote:
Hawg Ass wrote:
Boilermaker Rick wrote:

very disappointed to see NU down 2 players tonight including their best player. They're gonna get killed tonight. I guess that's karma after NU got to face Indiana down their 2 best players.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2017 4:46 pm 

pizza_Place: Drag's
shakes wrote:
DannyB wrote:
Probably the weakest Kansas team in recent memory. The B12 is deep with solid teams but no really good team. Would not want to play West Va in the tournament though.

Unfortunately I missed the game as I set my DVR for it before I went out of town and then the game got switched to a different channel and I ended up with Purdue vs MSU instead :cry:

But, I wouldn't put too much stock in this game. WVU might be the toughest road game on anyone's schedule, but they are often a totally diifferent team when they get on a neutral court. I fell for WVU last year so going to be more careful this year. That said, they are a better offensive team than last year so that should help.

As for Kansas, they are far from the weakest Kansas team in recent memory. They might have the best backcourt in the NCAA, plus one of the best frosh in Jackson up front. They do lack some inside presence which could hurt, but I wouldn't be so quick to dismiss a team with that level of guard play.

Today's epic Kansas vs Kentucky game is going to be amazing assumiung that Fox is healthy and playing.

Iowa State goes into Lawrence and beats bitch-ass Kansas as a double digit dog. Shot 18/34 from the 3pt line and still barely won!

"Smiles with Nostrils"

"...no Hmong, go find some blacks"

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2017 5:02 pm 

pizza_Place: Frozen
DannyB wrote:
shakes wrote:
DannyB wrote:
Probably the weakest Kansas team in recent memory. The B12 is deep with solid teams but no really good team. Would not want to play West Va in the tournament though.

Unfortunately I missed the game as I set my DVR for it before I went out of town and then the game got switched to a different channel and I ended up with Purdue vs MSU instead :cry:

But, I wouldn't put too much stock in this game. WVU might be the toughest road game on anyone's schedule, but they are often a totally diifferent team when they get on a neutral court. I fell for WVU last year so going to be more careful this year. That said, they are a better offensive team than last year so that should help.

As for Kansas, they are far from the weakest Kansas team in recent memory. They might have the best backcourt in the NCAA, plus one of the best frosh in Jackson up front. They do lack some inside presence which could hurt, but I wouldn't be so quick to dismiss a team with that level of guard play.

Today's epic Kansas vs Kentucky game is going to be amazing assumiung that Fox is healthy and playing.

Iowa State goes into Lawrence and beats bitch-ass Kansas as a double digit dog. Shot 18/34 from the 3pt line and still barely won!

Of course I didn't watch because I assumed they were going to get pasted. Hard to lose when you shoot like that though. Huge win that they badly needed, as the tournament resume was looking pretty bleak at this point.

That Matt Thomas line though. :pukel:

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2017 8:09 pm 

pizza_Place: Drag's
I know it, I went to Home Depot when I saw the halftime score. I sat through that awful Vanderbilt game last week.

"Smiles with Nostrils"

"...no Hmong, go find some blacks"

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2017 10:48 am 

college basketball starts today

Three weeks until the lesser conference tournaments.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2017 12:58 am 

pizza_Place: Pequods
It is 11:58 pm and IU still sucks

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2017 8:36 pm 

pizza_Place: Geo's Pizza
Am I really supposed to care this much about Gonzaga and St. Mary's?

Why are there so many Australians in this game?

Why is Dick Vitale still providing color analysis?

I really like Lonzo Ball.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2017 9:36 pm 

This is the whitest basketball game I've ever watched.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2017 9:58 pm 

Guy on Saint Mary just threw up what should have been an alleyoop, but it turned out everyone on his team was short and white so the other guy just caught the ball without jumping and passed it back out. This is just terrible basketball.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2017 10:00 pm 

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2017 6:53 pm 

Big game tonight, West Virginia at Kansas. Louisville @ Syracuse and Baylor at Texas Tech shouldn't be ignored either, home team could surprise in either of those.

This Gonzaga team is going to ruin a lot of brackets one way or the other. There's really no way to say how they measure up vs the other elite teams out there. They look the part, but they're doing it vs chumps. But, at least they are blowing all those chumps out of the building. They did beat Arizona early in the season, but that was while Alonzo Trier was suspended. Zona didn't start playing well till he came back.

I recorded about 20 games when i was out of town and watched them all in 2 days. Oregon vs UCLA was a helluva game, Lonzo is the man at UCLA even if he may not be the man in his own family. Last week his youngest brother, Lamelo, a sophmore put up 92 in a high school game. He's verbally committed to UCLA. The middle brother is supposed to be the worst of the group and he'll be at UCLA next season.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2017 11:41 pm 

pizza_Place: Oh I'm sorry but, there's no one on the line
Super impressive comeback in the WV/Kansas game.... a little bit of an implosion. Probably a good lesson to learn before March... you never take your foot off the throttle.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2017 8:49 am 

newper wrote:
Super impressive comeback in the WV/Kansas game.... a little bit of an implosion. Probably a good lesson to learn before March... you never take your foot off the throttle.

That was like watching a live train wreck.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2017 10:35 am 

shakes wrote:
Big game tonight, West Virginia at Kansas. Louisville @ Syracuse and Baylor at Texas Tech shouldn't be ignored either, home team could surprise in either of those.

Amazing night of CBB as advertised in this spot. Hope you guys checked out the undercard cause both of those games were great. Baylor got upset at Texas Tech and Louisville needed OT to beat Syracuse.

The finish to the Kansas game was unbelievable. Pretty amazing that West Virginia can't handle a full court press considering that's all they do. My guy Josh Jackson is a stud, but it was the Kansas guards who did most of the damage.

I learned my lesson on WVA last year and wasn't going to ride them in the bracket anyway, but last night sealed the deal for me.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2017 11:48 am 

shakes wrote:
shakes wrote:

Amazing night of CBB as advertised in this spot. Hope you guys checked out the undercard cause both of those games were great. Baylor got upset at Texas Tech and Louisville needed OT to beat Syracuse.

The finish to the Kansas game was unbelievable. Pretty amazing that West Virginia can't handle a full court press considering that's all they do. My guy Josh Jackson is a stud, but it was the Kansas guards who did most of the damage.

I learned my lesson on WVA last year and wasn't going to ride them in the bracket anyway, but last night sealed the deal for me.

I think West Virginia is like a lot of teams, who they get in the draw of the NCAA tournament. I don't know there is a team this year that doesn't have several deficiencies.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2017 12:31 pm 

Hawg Ass wrote:
shakes wrote:
shakes wrote:

I think West Virginia is like a lot of teams, who they get in the draw of the NCAA tournament. I don't know there is a team this year that doesn't have several deficiencies.

definitely no perfect teams out there, but the deficiencies of WVA (poor FT shooting, way too many fouls, where does the offense come from in crunch time) worry me more than the deficiencies most other top teams have.

Look at Nova. Headed towards teh #1 seed overall and they don't have a guy over 6'8. As long as they can avoid a team with a huge front court in the tourney they can win it all with ease, but if they end up with a bad matchup up front it could spell doom. For instance, I would be more confident with Nova taking on Kansas than I would with Nova taking on Florida State as crazy as that sounds.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2017 12:34 pm 

shakes wrote:

This Gonzaga team is going to ruin a lot of brackets one way or the other. There's really no way to say how they measure up vs the other elite teams out there. They look the part, but they're doing it vs chumps. But, at least they are blowing all those chumps out of the building. They did beat Arizona early in the season, but that was while Alonzo Trier was suspended. Zona didn't start playing well till he came back.

I recorded about 20 games when i was out of town and watched them all in 2 days. Oregon vs UCLA was a helluva game, Lonzo is the man at UCLA even if he may not be the man in his own family. Last week his youngest brother, Lamelo, a sophmore put up 92 in a high school game. He's verbally committed to UCLA. The middle brother is supposed to be the worst of the group and he'll be at UCLA next season.

They will be the whitest and most Polish.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2017 1:27 pm 

Crystal Lake Hoffy wrote:
shakes wrote:

They will be the whitest and most Polish.

The big Polack in the middle might be the reason to put this team far in the bracket. Nigel-Goss is great, but the big guy in the middle has some of the softest touch of any big in the country...and there aren't too many good bigs as it is. He could be a huge match up problem for some of the small ball elite teams out there.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2017 2:40 pm 

I hate to say it, but don't sleep on Duke. They're finally healthy (well except for Giles who may never be healthy again) and they've been quietly moving up the polls since dropping from pre season #1 to #18 about a month ago. Big win at home vs UNC last week and big win at Virginia last night. Their freshman stud has been improving quite a bit lately and had 28 last night and was best player vs UNC as well.

They still don't have an ideal PG and they aren't the biggest team (but who is this year?), but I wouldn't be surprised at all if they are in the Final 4.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2017 10:55 am 

Another weekend, another come from behind win vs a top 10 opponent for Kansas. Frank Mason probably cemented NPOY award.

Northwestern limping to the finish, barely beat Rutgers the other night. One more win and they should be in if they aren't in already.

Here is my new segment, buy/sell for how teams will do in the NCAA tournament...

Big10: Buying stock = Purdue, Selling Stock = Northwestern
ACC: Buying stock = tobacco road, Selling stock = Virginia
Big 12: Buying = Texas Tech, Selling - West Virginia

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2017 10:58 am 

shakes wrote:
Another weekend, another come from behind win vs a top 10 opponent for Kansas. Frank Mason probably cemented NPOY award.

Northwestern limping to the finish, barely beat Rutgers the other night. One more win and they should be in if they aren't in already.

Here is my new segment, buy/sell for how teams will do in the NCAA tournament...

That Northwestern win at Wisconsin wasn't limping to the finish, that was a huge road win.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2017 11:33 am 

Hawg Ass wrote:
shakes wrote:

That Northwestern win at Wisconsin wasn't limping to the finish, that was a huge road win.

That win was an aberration, don't know how they managed to do that without Lindsey. Before that, they lost 2 in a row including at Illinois. And after that they lost bad to Maryland at home and barely beat Rutgers. I would say limping to the finish is an apt description.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2017 11:35 am 

Brick, is Purdue good enough to make a final four run this year?

Frank Coztansa wrote:
I have MANY years of experience in trying to appreciate steaming piles of dogshit.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2017 11:39 am 

RFDC wrote:

I'll field this one......no.

But, that said, they do have the best big man in the country in a season where good big men are few and far between. But, Swanegan has feasted on bad teams in the big10 and his stats vs good teams are lower than his normal averages so it remains to be seen how he will do in the tourney once the comp picks up.

I would say sweet 16 is a realistic goal and maybe even the elite 8 if they get a good matchup, but that might be pushing it.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2017 6:00 pm 

RFDC wrote:

Yes. Carsen Edwards needs to be a star.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2017 6:15 pm 

shakes wrote:
RFDC wrote:

But, that said, they do have the best big man in the country in a season where good big men are few and far between. But, Swanegan has feasted on bad teams in the big10 and his stats vs good teams are lower than his normal averages so it remains to be seen how he will do in the tourney once the comp picks up.

I would say sweet 16 is a realistic goal and maybe even the elite 8 if they get a good matchup, but that might be pushing it.

I don't think you are right about Swanigan. He has pretty much dominated everyone besides foul trouble.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2017 12:06 pm 

Boilermaker Rick wrote:
shakes wrote:
RFDC wrote:

I don't think you are right about Swanigan. He has pretty much dominated everyone besides foul trouble.

The problem with getting a gage on Swanigan is the level of competition he's faced. There isn't a single big man in the Big10 that can come close to challenging him. Really, the only test he's faced all year was early vs Louisville and he only had 14 and 11 (still good numbers, but under his average). Don't know if he was dealing with foul trouble in that game. He also played Nova, but they don't start anyone over 6'8. He did well vs Notre Dame which at least has Bonzi Colson.

It will be very interesting to see how he does if they get matched up vs a big team like a Florida State, Oregon or Baylor....or the best match up possible, vs Gonzaga and their really good center.

That's why its so hard to figure out how the Big10 will do in the tourney. They look like crap, but there's been years in the past where that's been true and they've done well in the tourney.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 379 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 13  Next