It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 11:43 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Fire Thomas Hammock
PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2020 9:51 pm 

pizza_Place: world famous
NIU football has gone in the tank. Can't even enjoy MACtion on a Wednesday night anymore. When will programs learn hiring an ex player just doesn't work?

Post subject: Re: Fire Thomas Hammock
PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2020 9:56 pm 

This was happening regardless of the coach. The question is whether Hammock can turn it around.

Yes it is.

CDOM wrote:
When this is all over, which is not going to be for a while, Trump will be re-elected President.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2020 9:56 pm 

pizza_Place: Clamburger's
He doesn’t seem good so far.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2020 9:57 pm 

conns7901 wrote:
This was happening regardless of the coach. The question is whether Hammock can turn it around.

This was supposed to happen in year 2?

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2020 9:59 pm 

Jbi11s wrote:
conns7901 wrote:

This was supposed to happen in year 2?

Carey gutted that place. My guess is Hammock is fired after next season.

Yes it is.

CDOM wrote:
When this is all over, which is not going to be for a while, Trump will be re-elected President.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2020 10:01 pm 

conns7901 wrote:

I guess, but he has 2 years max. Rod Carey sucked too, so maybe this should be a fire Sean Frazier thread.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2020 10:04 pm 

Franky T wrote:
conns7901 wrote:

I guess, but he has 2 years max. Rod Carey sucked too, so maybe this should be a fire Sean Frazier thread.

Maybe they can pull Jordan Lynch away from Mt.Carmel next?

Yes it is.

CDOM wrote:

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2020 10:05 pm 

UMN said they need to go pluck Don Beebe away from the D3 school he is currently coaching.

I’m down with that.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2020 10:06 pm 

conns7901 wrote:
Franky T wrote:
conns7901 wrote:

Maybe they can pull Jordan Lynch away from Mt.Carmel next?

It wouldn't surprise me if they did.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2020 10:12 pm 

Jbi11s wrote:
UMN said they need to go pluck Don Beebe away from the D3 school he is currently coaching.

I’m down with that.

Beebe did very good at Aurora last year. They had been a .500 team the previous few seasons and almost pulled a huge upset in D3 playoffs. Beebe is also close to 56 years old and has never seemed to have the ambition to coach major college football. He has spent most of his retirement working in some capacity at Aurora Christian High School.

Yes it is.

CDOM wrote:

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2020 10:14 pm 

Hmm...

I mean he’d still be local in DeKalb, and it sounds like he wouldn’t jump at the first power 5 offer he’d get.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2020 9:29 am 

Calm down. Something like 90% of the roster is sophomore or younger. It's a crazy team makeup.

As others have said, those guys are seniors in two years and then you judge him

PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2020 9:36 am 

You think Hammock gets two more years at this pace?

PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2020 12:51 pm 

pizza_Place: Wha Happen?
Carey is the guy who screwed up the place. This is how you know NIU is not a major football concern in this town...nobody cared. And nobody cares now*

*there are a fair amount of racists in the this town so there may be SOME people who care, if you catch my drift.

Frazier is terrible. Only takes a few minutes of listening to that guy to understand that. Look how bad the basketball team has been.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2020 6:25 pm 

good dolphin wrote:
Calm down. Something like 90% of the roster is sophomore or younger. It's a crazy team makeup.

Yeah, I know. Some of that though is players leaving the program. Maybe that's not on the HC, but you have to wonder. I understand that Orange Bowl year was an anomaly, but they should be able to compete for MAC championships every few years. Same goes for basketball.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2020 6:32 pm 

City of Fools wrote:
Carey is the guy who screwed up the place. This is how you know NIU is not a major football concern in this town...nobody cared. And nobody cares now*
Frazier is terrible. Only takes a few minutes of listening to that guy to understand that. Look how bad the basketball team has been.

Do they have a decent team in any sport now?

PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2020 6:32 pm 

Franky T wrote:
good dolphin wrote:

Yeah, I know. Some of that though is players leaving the program. Maybe that's not on the HC, but you have to wonder. I understand that Orange Bowl year was an anomaly, but they should be able to compete for MAC championships every few years. Same goes for basketball.

Correct me if I’m wrong, but aren’t the last 2-3 years the only years they haven’t really competed for the Mac championship since the early 2000s?

They are def young, but as a Huskie fan I’ve grown accustomed to a certain level of talent and competition.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2020 8:22 pm 

Regular Reader wrote:
City of Fools wrote:

Do they have a decent team in any sport now?

Wrestling and Girls cross country.

Yes it is.

CDOM wrote:

PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2020 12:30 pm 

pizza_Place: World Famous, Lord Stanley's, DeKalb Rock City
City of Fools wrote:

*there are a fair amount of racists in the this town so there may be SOME people who care, if you catch my drift.

You're in the Dirty D? I'm quarantining in Sycamore (Hickabore/snore) with my girlfriend. Yes, there are tons of racists in both towns. You see more U of Iowa stuff than NIU. Which is funny to me, because growing up in Naperville, U of Iowa was considered the last resort school to go to if mommy and daddy had money but you were too dumb to get into the U of I, Wisc, Indiana, etc.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2020 12:53 pm 

pizza_Place: Pizza Villa in DeKalb.
NIU was always pretty popular in the sugar grove, elburn, and maple park area where im from mostly due to PJ playing there, the hs coaches son plaing there and chad beebe playing there. Geneva started to send some stars there helping to spread their local popularity. It took a while to build that program and its going to take a while to build it again. I don't think it would be that far off to have Don hop on 88 and drive over to the facility every day. He is a master motivator, has alot of friends to use as coaches and is 2nd to none in talking about JC. He is essentially a humble Dabo. When he realizes that the virus has destroyed d3 sports he will start thinking about NIU.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2020 12:53 pm 

McCareins_Fan wrote:
City of Fools wrote:

You're in the Dirty D? I'm quarantining in Sycamore (Hickabore/snore) with my girlfriend. Yes, there are tons of racists in both towns. You see more U of Iowa stuff than NIU. Which is funny to me, because growing up in Naperville, U of Iowa was considered the last resort school to go to if mommy and daddy had money but you were too dumb to get into the U of I, Wisc, Indiana, etc.

Having grown up in Sycamore/DeKalb it didn’t always used to be THAT racist.

Section 8 housing was approved in the early 2000s.

Certain types of people were gentrified from Chicago to DeKalb after that.

I’m not kidding when I say in 2005 robberies and shootings went from a very rare occurrence in the entire county to a weekly thing.

And it’s gotten worse the last 15 years.

All those hokie white people didn’t have much more than a limited social interaction with people of a darker complexion before the early 2000s.

Now they see the mug shots of the people committing the robberies and shootings which happen to primarily look different than them.

This isn’t an excuse, because you have to choose to be racist.

It’s just an observation from someone who saw a lot of joy leave DeKalb county over the years.

Last edited by Jbi11s on Fri Nov 20, 2020 12:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2020 12:55 pm 

Urlacher's missing neck wrote:
NIU was always pretty popular in the sugar grove, elburn, and maple park area where im from mostly due to PJ playing there, the hs coaches son plaing there and chad beebe playing there. Geneva started to send some stars there helping to spread their local popularity. It took a while to build that program and its going to take a while to build it again. I don't think it would be that far off to have Don hop on 88 and drive over to the facility every day. He is a master motivator, has alot of friends to use as coaches and is 2nd to none in talking about JC. He is essentially a humble Dabo. When he realizes that the virus has destroyed d3 sports he will start thinking about NIU.

I like this idea more and more.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2020 1:16 pm 

pizza_Place: World Famous, Lord Stanley's, DeKalb Rock City
I went to Syco High 20 years ago. There was a group of students who wore a tshirt to school one day with a noose on the front and "Go Back to Africa" on the back. The principal asked them to leave school during 7th period. LOL!

I heard the n-word quite a bit. Went to Ski's "Pub" once with my friend. We didn't get served while sitting at the bar for close to ten minutes, and the clientele stared at my friend quite a bit. He's black but it couldn't have been that.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2020 1:22 pm 

McCareins_Fan wrote:
I went to Syco High 20 years ago. There was a group of students who wore a tshirt to school one day with a noose on the front and "Go Back to Africa" on the back. The principal asked them to leave school during 7th period. LOL!

Yep.

Sounds about white.

Last edited by Jbi11s on Fri Nov 20, 2020 1:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2020 1:25 pm 

Although, I will say my wife and I haven’t had any service issues at any sycamore restaurants and bars since we’ve gone back to visit the last 5 years.

Waiting to get served at a bar isn’t really racism.

Did you not get served at all?

PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2020 4:29 pm 

McCareins_Fan wrote:

I heard the n-word quite a bit. Went to Ski's "Pub" once with my friend. We didn't get served while sitting at the bar for close to ten minutes, and the clientele stared at my friend quite a bit. He's black but it couldn't have been that.

We were probably there together and I very much remember the "Hicks Vs Blacks" thing that escalated into a forced message from the principal after weapons were either brought to school or there was a threat of such things.

Dude, Ski's is a pure trash bar. Always has been. Hinks too although I guess they cleaned up some of the motorcycle gangs.

Sycamore is no different than Naperville, lily white for the most part. The section 8 housing is on the north end of town, right by the sewage treatment plant. No surprise how that got placed there. Section 8 housing didn't change anything. NIU has quite a few students that seem to bring their problem friends with them, I'd say that's more where the crime is coming from.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2020 6:08 pm 

City of Fools wrote:
McCareins_Fan wrote:

We were probably there together and I very much remember the "Hicks Vs Blacks" thing that escalated into a forced message from the principal after weapons were either brought to school or there was a threat of such things.

Dude, Ski's is a pure trash bar. Always has been. Hinks too although I guess they cleaned up some of the motorcycle gangs.

Sycamore is no different than Naperville, lily white for the most part. The section 8 housing is on the north end of town, right by the sewage treatment plant. No surprise how that got placed there. Section 8 housing didn't change anything. NIU has quite a few students that seem to bring their problem friends with them, I'd say that's more where the crime is coming from.

I don't know the last time you were over by Greek row where most of the crime is happening, but I can assure those aren't college kids living over there.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2020 6:20 pm 

Yeah the, “Oh it’s just the bad friend’s of college kids,” was true in the mid 2000s, but it’s clear now the dynamic has changed if you drive through Greek row like Franky said.

My Dad and brother did some remod work at one of the apartment complexes along the campus side of Normal Road a year ago, and the landlord said there is nothing but Section 8 over there now.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2020 6:25 pm 

pizza_Place: Pizza Villa in DeKalb.
I was at the land of kane the same time you guys must have been at sycamore. I don't recall any racism issues but I also don't recall anyone going there that wasn't white.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2020 12:53 pm 

Franky T wrote:
City of Fools wrote:
McCareins_Fan wrote:

I don't know the last time you were over by Greek row where most of the crime is happening, but I can assure those aren't college kids living over there.

yeah, I'm not planning on being in that area anytime soon.