It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:35 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Big ten tourney in D.C.
PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2017 9:01 pm 

pizza_Place: Tortorice's
Makes no sense, is this going to be the annual location now?
Seems like the united center or a rotation of Midwest arenas would be fine.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2017 9:06 pm 

pizza_Place: Angelo's Pizza in Downers Grove
Going to MSG next year.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2017 9:18 pm 

pizza_Place: Mauries Table
Add Maryland and Rutgers and you get D.C. & N.Y.C.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2017 10:16 pm 

It has to be better since it isn't in the anthill that is Indianapolis

PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2017 10:19 pm 

Location: Pearl Harbor, Waukesha, and other things that make no sense
pizza_Place: Lou Malnati's
Indianapolis made sense because Conseco Fieldhouse is such a good basketball arena and it's readily accessible for a lot of the Big Ten. Plus, I don't think it ever drew that well in Chicago. Do any of the conference tournaments other than the ACC in Greensboro draw all that well?

But I agree that Indianoplace sucks. It's Aurora with an NFL team.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2017 10:34 pm 

pizza_Place: Nowhere
The attendance of NU vs Rutgers looks abysmal.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2017 10:48 pm 

Curious Hair wrote:
Indianapolis made sense because Conseco Fieldhouse is such a good basketball arena and it's readily accessible for a lot of the Big Ten. Plus, I don't think it ever drew that well in Chicago. Do any of the conference tournaments other than the ACC in Greensboro draw all that well?

My thing is that I wonder how coaches recruit to cold weather, irrelevant Midwestern college towns, limited tv for the folks back at home, and then a conference tournament in a lesser almost cow town?

Especially in Chambana...

PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2017 7:31 am 

Curious Hair wrote:

Attendance in Chicago was better than attendance in Indianapolis.

The plan is to give most of these to Chicago and Indy and then give ones every so often to NYC DC, and maybe Detroit and Minneapolis.

Most of the early games ate poorly attended because who is taking time off work to see the bottom half of a conference play for the chance to lose to the good teams.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2017 7:35 am 
Site Admin

pizza_Place: Aurelio's
Regular Reader wrote:
Curious Hair wrote:

My thing is that I wonder how coaches recruit to cold weather, irrelevant Midwestern college towns, limited tv for the folks back at home, and then a conference tournament in a lesser almost cow town?

But it's not like football with the SEC. If you're a kid from Illinois, why would you rather go to Lawrence, Kansas or Battleground, Indiana than Champaign?

PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2017 7:35 am 
Site Admin

Drunk Squirrel wrote:

I had no idea that Elaine's kid was on the NU team until last night.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2017 7:45 am 

Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
Regular Reader wrote:
Curious Hair wrote:

But it's not like football with the SEC. If you're a kid from Illinois, why would you rather go to Lawrence, Kansas or Battleground, Indiana than Champaign?
Basketball is an afterthought at many schools. Besides Kentucky the entire SEC doesn't value basketball. You can see just how quiet it is at almost all those places unless they play Kentucky. It's not a coincidence that nearly every basketball power is traditionally bad at football.

The other benefit the Midwest schools have is basketball can be year round so the players are better. If Purdue could get the top 3 players from Indiana every year they would be winning national titles. If they could get the top 10 football players from Indiana they probably are as good as Iowa.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2017 8:50 am 

pizza_Place: Nowhere
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
Drunk Squirrel wrote:

I had no idea that Elaine's kid was on the NU team until last night.

I had no idea till this morning. I never have managed to follow the basketball team very well after I left the school. I think the Carmody style of ball was the nail in the coffin for me although they were at least respectable record wise.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2017 9:26 am 
Site Admin

Boilermaker Rick wrote:
. If Purdue could get the top 3 players from Indiana every year they would be winning national titles.

But that's a hard road for Purdue with Indiana. There's no reason Illinois shouldn't control its state in basketball recruiting. And I can see the one-and-done guy going to play for Calipari. I'm not even talking about those guys. Fucking Bill Self shouldn't be able to out-recruit whoever the Illinois coach is within the state. To me, that's the only qualification for the Illini job.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2017 9:35 am 

Boilermaker Rick wrote:
Curious Hair wrote:

Attendance in Chicago was better than attendance in Indianapolis.

The plan is to give most of these to Chicago and Indy and then give ones every so often to NYC DC, and maybe Detroit and Minneapolis.

Most of the early games ate poorly attended because who is taking time off work to see the bottom half of a conference play for the chance to lose to the good teams.

It's fun in Indianapolis because there are bars and things to do right by the stadium. So it has an event atmosphere that takes over the downtown. There are some bars around the UC, but the city does not have the buzz of a big event.

Bringing it to Washington DC seems like a great way to ensure empty seats. If NU made a run plenty of fans would go down to Indy to see them. Purdue is good this year so the stadium would be filled. Maybe Maryland fans will fill it up, but there are really no fanbases near that market.
Chicago or Indy are perfect for this tournament.

The Missing Link wrote:
For instance they were never taught that Columbus was a slave owner.

Last edited by WaitingforRuffcorn on Fri Mar 10, 2017 10:12 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2017 9:42 am 

I agree DC is kind of lame.

NYC will be awesome.

I wouldn't mind it being 30% Indianapolis, 30% Chicago, and then 40% a rotation of NYC, DC, Detroit, and Minneapolis.

The Big Ten has already said it will mostly be in Indy and Chicago.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2017 10:15 am 

Boilermaker Rick wrote:
I agree DC is kind of lame.

NYC will be awesome.

I wouldn't mind it being 30% Indianapolis, 30% Chicago, and then 40% a rotation of NYC, DC, Detroit, and Minneapolis.

The Big Ten has already said it will mostly be in Indy and Chicago.

Maryland in the Big Ten is weird. They were such an ACC staple. So many showdowns with UNC and Duke in the ACC tournament.

I was disappointed to see Indiana win yesterday. Was hoping that they would get bounced and Crean fired. Always fun to see them suffer.

The Missing Link wrote:
For instance they were never taught that Columbus was a slave owner.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2017 10:22 am 

WaitingforRuffcorn wrote:
It's fun in Indianapolis because there are bars and things to do right by the stadium. So it has an event atmosphere that takes over the downtown. There are some bars around the UC, but the city does not have the buzz of a big event.

Yep, Conseco Fieldhouse (or whatever it's called now) is a great arena. I went down there once for a Bulls/Pacers game. Lots to do around the stadium and you can probably walk across the entire downtown in 15-20 minutes.

The atmosphere outside the UC is garbage. There's nothing within 5-6 blocks because of the demilatarized zone that is filled with parking lots. On a nice day it's not bad walking from a bar 6,8, or 10 blocks away to get over to a game, but it really sucks when it's like 10 degrees outside in January.

The Big Ten Tournament should never be east of Ohio.