It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:52 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 149 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2017 8:47 am 

Alvarez really didn't want Gard but he had his hand forced by Wisconsin going on a fluky run with him.

Wisconsin also had an incredibly veteran team and faltered. Next year could be rough though under Bo those teams always seemed to figure it out.

Bennett just doesn't impress me too much. He has a style that is dying in college basketball and isn't going to consistently do well in the NCAA tournament. I think he can frustrate the better talented teams in the ACC with it though which is probably the ceiling of a place like Virginia.

If I'm throwing nearly $5 million at a basketball coach I don't want it to be a guy like him.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2017 8:54 am 

He may have had his hand forced a little, but from what I understand he reached out to Bennett and I believe there was one other and found out they didn't want to come. Then when Gard took them on a run, it made it much easier on him.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2017 9:18 am 

Hawg Ass wrote:
He may have had his hand forced a little, but from what I understand he reached out to Bennett and I believe there was one other and found out they didn't want to come. Then when Gard took them on a run, it made it much easier on him.

I thought the story was that Bo Ryan didn't think Alvarez would hire his guy so he forced the issue by retiring mid season

PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2017 9:23 am 

good dolphin wrote:
Hawg Ass wrote:

I thought the story was that Bo Ryan didn't think Alvarez would hire his guy so he forced the issue by retiring mid season

He had to hire him at that time and for the rest of the year, he didn't have to give him the permanent position. I believe the reason that Bo really retired is because he knew all of that shit was about to come out about his mistress and he didn't want to deal with it while still there coaching.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2017 9:25 am 

Hawg Ass wrote:
good dolphin wrote:
Hawg Ass wrote:

He had to hire him at that time and for the rest of the year, he didn't have to give him the permanent position. I believe the reason that Bo really retired is because he knew all of that shit was about to come out about his mistress and he didn't want to deal with it while still there coaching.
You both are seemingly correct. There was a lot of stuff going on.

It was pretty well known that Gard had virtually no shot at the job when Ryan retired. Wisconsin had a miraculous improvement and it is hard at a place like Wisconsin to fire a Sweet Sixteen coach.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2017 11:00 am 

Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
RFDC wrote:
Archie Miller would be a good hire, but he maybe waiting on bigger opportunities.

You keep making posts suggesting the Illini job is like some mediocre gig. You've already suggested it's equivalent to the Missouri job which it certainly is not. What "bigger opportunity" do you think Miller is going to have? I guess he could try to get the Indiana job. But I can't think of any other bigger opportunity than Illinois that is going to be available.

it is a mediocre gig right now. Even Dr Ken the biggest Illini fan around these parts understands the situation.

The Missouri job is mediocre too right now. But if Martin gets Porter, which seems likely at this point, that could change.

Miller does not need to jump to another place this year if the opportunity he wants does not come available. He has a pretty good thing going at Dayton.

Frank Coztansa wrote:
I have MANY years of experience in trying to appreciate steaming piles of dogshit.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2017 11:18 am 
Site Admin

pizza_Place: Aurelio's
RFDC wrote:
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
RFDC wrote:
Archie Miller would be a good hire, but he maybe waiting on bigger opportunities.

You keep making posts suggesting the Illini job is like some mediocre gig. You've already suggested it's equivalent to the Missouri job which it certainly is not. What "bigger opportunity" do you think Miller is going to have? I guess he could try to get the Indiana job. But I can't think of any other bigger opportunity than Illinois that is going to be available.

it is a mediocre gig right now. Even Dr Ken the biggest Illini fan around these parts understands the situation.

The Missouri job is mediocre too right now. But if Martin gets Porter, which seems likely at this point, that could change.

Miller does not need to jump to another place this year if the opportunity he wants does not come available. He has a pretty good thing going at Dayton.

That's a wrong way to look at it. Programs have tradition. You wouldn't say Indiana is a mediocre job right now.

And sure, Miller can wait for one of the handful of jobs that's better than Illinois to open up- Indiana, North Carolina, Duke, Kansas, UCLA, Kentucky, maybe there are a couple more I'm not thinking of- but good luck with that. He may have a shot at Indiana right now. I wouldn't suggest he take Illinois instead.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2017 11:23 am 

Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
RFDC wrote:
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
RFDC wrote:

That's a wrong way to look at it. Programs have tradition. You wouldn't say Indiana is a mediocre job right now.

And sure, Miller can wait for one of the handful of jobs that's better than Illinois to open up- Indiana, North Carolina, Duke, Kansas, UCLA, Kentucky, maybe there are a couple more I'm not thinking of- but good luck with that. He may have a shot at Indiana right now. I wouldn't suggest he take Illinois instead.

Indiana is now open for business!!

PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2017 11:27 am 

Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
RFDC wrote:
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
RFDC wrote:

While I wouldn't put Indiana in the same mediocre category as Illinois or Mizzou, it is trending in a downward direction. It is clearly not the job that it once was.

Illinois does have some tradition, but that is a long time ago. The same thing is true when they hired Groce. They could not get the guys they really wanted and had to settle for Groce. Of course it was billed as the guy they really wanted all along. But no one believes that.

And the success of schools like Wich St, Gonzaga and Butler over the last few years do not help places like Illinois. There is no reason for guys to jump to a mediocre Big 10 job when they can stay at their place, make the tournament every year and wait for a really good place to open up

Frank Coztansa wrote:
I have MANY years of experience in trying to appreciate steaming piles of dogshit.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2017 11:29 am 

Location: Bohemian Club Annual World Power Consolidation Conference & Golf Outing
pizza_Place: World Fluoridation Conspiracy Pizza & WINGS!
Illinois is a far better job than Missouri.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2017 11:30 am 

Dr. Kenneth Noisewater wrote:
Illinois is a far better job than Missouri.

I dont think you can really say that right now.

They just got the coach that your school wanted.

Frank Coztansa wrote:

PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2017 11:32 am 
Site Admin

RFDC wrote:
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
RFDC wrote:
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
RFDC wrote:

While I wouldn't put Indiana in the same mediocre category as Illinois or Mizzou, it is trending in a downward direction. It is clearly not the job that it once was.

Illinois does have some tradition, but that is a long time ago. The same thing is true when they hired Groce. They could not get the guys they really wanted and had to settle for Groce. Of course it was billed as the guy they really wanted all along. But no one believes that.

And the success of schools like Wich St, Gonzaga and Butler over the last few years do not help places like Illinois. There is no reason for guys to jump to a mediocre Big 10 job when they can stay at their place, make the tournament every year and wait for a really good place to open up

I disagree. Indiana is still as great a job as it ever was and they'll be good again and the Crean years will be forgotten. And a guy can build a nice program at those mid-majors but it isn't like a Big 10 job.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2017 11:36 am 

Location: Pearl Harbor, Waukesha, and other things that make no sense
pizza_Place: Lou Malnati's
We knew Illinois wasn't a football school, but now it doesn't feel like a basketball school, either. We're going to have to invent a new sport for them.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2017 11:38 am 

Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
RFDC wrote:
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
RFDC wrote:
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
RFDC wrote:

I disagree. Indiana is still as great a job as it ever was and they'll be good again and the Crean years will be forgotten. And a guy can build a nice program at those mid-majors but it isn't like a Big 10 job.

I hope you are right.

Frank Coztansa wrote:

PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2017 11:39 am 

pizza_Place: Lou Malnatis
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
RFDC wrote:
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
RFDC wrote:

There seem to be a bunch you aren't thinking of.

To rock my soul

PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2017 11:55 am 

pizza_Place: John's
Curious Hair wrote:
We knew Illinois wasn't a football school, but now it doesn't feel like a basketball school, either. We're going to have to invent a new sport for them.

Falling off balconies.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2017 12:02 pm 
Site Admin

FavreFan wrote:
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
RFDC wrote:
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
RFDC wrote:

Who? Don't give me some team that rolls the MAC or WAC each season.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2017 12:05 pm 

Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
RFDC wrote:
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
RFDC wrote:
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
RFDC wrote:

Indiana still hasn't proven they can be elite without Knight. And no, Branch McCracken doesn't count.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2017 12:07 pm 
Site Admin

Boilermaker Rick wrote:
Indiana still hasn't proven they can be elite without Knight. And no, Branch McCracken doesn't count.

:lol: :lol: The old Millennial "If it happened before I was born, it didn't happen" philosophy!

PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2017 12:11 pm 

Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
Boilermaker Rick wrote:

:lol: :lol: The old Millennial "If it happened before I was born, it didn't happen" philosophy!

In fairness to Brick he is a Purdue guy, they dont understand anything from an elite perspective

Frank Coztansa wrote:

PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2017 12:13 pm 

Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
Boilermaker Rick wrote:

If we want to include all time stuff Purdue is elite! :lol:

PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2017 12:17 pm 
Site Admin

Boilermaker Rick wrote:
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
Boilermaker Rick wrote:

If we want to include all time stuff Purdue is elite! :lol:

They're not top tier elite, but I'm not discounting the Piggy Lambert or Gene Keady eras either. They belong below those very top elite teams with schools like Illinois, Maryland, Florida, Michigan State, etc.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2017 12:19 pm 

Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
FavreFan wrote:
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:

And sure, Miller can wait for one of the handful of jobs that's better than Illinois to open up- Indiana, North Carolina, Duke, Kansas, UCLA, Kentucky, maybe there are a couple more I'm not thinking of-

I would need a college hoops guy who isnt an Illini fan like Rick to help me with the list, but it's obviously a much longer list than six teams. :lol:

Off the top of my head, Michigan State, Villanova, Syracuse, Georgetown, Louisville, Wisconsin, Arizona, Florida, UConn without a doubt. I'd argue other teams like Michigan, Baylor, Ohio State, USC, Texas, Oregon, Xavier, Maryland, etc. And you said not to include mid majors but I think teams like Gonzaga, Butler, and Wichita State would even be as appealing considering Illinois' lack of recent success. RFDC is right about it not looking good that Missouri got a guy Illinois wanted. The point being, even a die hard Illini fan would have to agree to at least another dozen plus teams beside the six you listed.

To rock my soul

PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2017 12:20 pm 

Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
Boilermaker Rick wrote:

Uh, JORR, the players that these schools are trying to recruit.... what generation do you suppose they are?

To rock my soul

PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2017 12:31 pm 
Site Admin

FavreFan wrote:
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
FavreFan wrote:
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:

And sure, Miller can wait for one of the handful of jobs that's better than Illinois to open up- Indiana, North Carolina, Duke, Kansas, UCLA, Kentucky, maybe there are a couple more I'm not thinking of-

I would need a college hoops guy who isnt an Illini fan like Rick to help me with the list, but it's obviously a much longer list than six teams. :lol:

Off the top of my head, Michigan State, Villanova, Syracuse, Georgetown, Louisville, Wisconsin, Arizona, Florida, UConn without a doubt. I'd argue other teams like Michigan, Baylor, Ohio State, USC, Texas, Oregon, Xavier, Maryland, etc. And you said not to include mid majors but I think teams like Gonzaga, Butler, and Wichita State would even be as appealing considering Illinois' lack of recent success. RFDC is right about it not looking good that Missouri got a guy Illinois wanted. The point being, even a die hard Illini fan would have to agree to at least another dozen plus teams beside the six you listed.

All those schools are on the same level as Illinois, in spite of Illinois being in a low period. Even Arizona which is consistently good, is a stepchild to the football program, not to mention being viewed as secondary to UCLA in its own conference.

Michigan State is the one that I think there is a legitimate argument in saying that they may have joined the Kentucky-Indiana-Kansas-UNC-Duke group, but I would argue that a 9-3 MSU football team that loses in the Rose Bowl generates more excitement than an NCAA basketball champion. And that's the case with Illinois too, though they're less likely to achieve it. I think we have to start with basketball being the king if we're discussing really elite jobs. And for schools where it is king like Georgetown and Villanova, they have to have some regional hegemony (Duke being the exception), which those schools don't. That's something the right coach at Illinois should definitely be able to establish.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2017 12:35 pm 

It's pretty clear you're irrationally biased about Illinois. It's insane to attempt an argument that Illinois is on the same level as Louisville, Arizona, and Uconn.

To rock my soul

PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2017 12:36 pm 
Site Admin

FavreFan wrote:
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
Boilermaker Rick wrote:

Uh, JORR, the players that these schools are trying to recruit.... what generation do you suppose they are?

Are you making the argument that the current coach is all that matters? I'm not saying that isn't important, by the way. A guy like Izzo can establish a program by staying and being consistent over a long period, but that doesn't happen when a guy uses three good seasons at Dayton or Xavier a stepping stone to Ohio State or Indiana.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2017 12:38 pm 
Site Admin

FavreFan wrote:
It's pretty clear you're irrationally biased about Illinois. It's insane to attempt an argument that Illinois is on the same level as Louisville, Arizona, and Uconn.

Only if you're looking at a very short sample. I do think our respective ages have something to do with our viewpoints. For example, one of my friends has a 17 year old kid who is growing up in Boston. He thinks the Red Sox are a better franchise than the Yankees, and in his experience it would be difficult to argue that they aren't.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2017 12:40 pm 

Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
FavreFan wrote:
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
Boilermaker Rick wrote:

Are you making the argument that the current coach is all that matters? I'm not saying that isn't important, by the way. A guy like Izzo can establish a program by staying and being consistent over a long period, but that doesn't happen when a guy uses three good seasons at Dayton or Xavier a stepping stone to Ohio State or Indiana.

No, I'm saying 2005 was 12 years ago. We're getting to the point where Illinois hasn't been a respectable program since potential recruits have been watching and playing basketball. That matters a hell of a lot more than being a decent program in the 1980's does if we are ranking programs.

To rock my soul

PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2017 12:43 pm 

FavreFan wrote:
No, I'm saying 2005 was 12 years ago. We're getting to the point where Illinois hasn't been a respectable program since potential recruits have been watching and playing basketball. That matters a hell of a lot more than being a decent program in the 1980's does if we are ranking programs.

Also, I agree with about half your list.

MSU, Villanova, Louisville, and Arizona for sure are better than Illinois. UConn would be but they are absolutely screwed with the conference situation.

Illinois, just like my own team, doesn't have near enough national success to compare. That doesn't mean they can't get there but potential doesn't mean much.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 149 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next