It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:40 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sat Mar 11, 2017 4:03 pm 

Lets get this party started.

Who is your guy?

Frank Coztansa wrote:
I have MANY years of experience in trying to appreciate steaming piles of dogshit.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 11, 2017 4:12 pm 

pizza_Place: Mauries Table
RFDC wrote:
Lets get this party started.

Who is your guy?

Fred Hoiberg. Seriously.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 11, 2017 4:31 pm 

Location: Pearl Harbor, Waukesha, and other things that make no sense
pizza_Place: Lou Malnati's
Some mid-major coach who makes the NIT a lot.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 11, 2017 4:34 pm 

pizza_Place: Oh I'm sorry but, there's no one on the line
Pat Kelsey.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 11, 2017 4:43 pm 

pizza_Place: Drag's
They need someone with a connection to the area. A Matt Lottich would be ideal but I'm sure he's aiming higher. Big private schools seem to be more desirable than mid-level state u these days.

"Smiles with Nostrils"

"...no Hmong, go find some blacks"

PostPosted: Sat Mar 11, 2017 7:15 pm 

pizza_Place: Positanos on 55th Street
Chris Collins.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 11, 2017 7:20 pm 

pizza_Place: Obbies
Dr. Ken ...he's the only one that gives a fuck

I'm out.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 11, 2017 7:21 pm 
Vinnie

PostPosted: Sat Mar 11, 2017 7:23 pm 

pizza_Place: Lou Malnatis
Larry Brown

To rock my soul

PostPosted: Sat Mar 11, 2017 7:33 pm 

pizza_Place: Rosati's
Matches Malone wrote:
Chris Collins.

He'll bide his time until either Roy or K calls it a career.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 11, 2017 7:59 pm 

pizza_Place: Home Run Inn
Cuonzo Martin

PostPosted: Sun Mar 12, 2017 9:55 am 

pizza_Place: Frozen
Minooka Meatball wrote:
Matches Malone wrote:
Chris Collins.

He'll bide his time until either Roy or K calls it a career.

I get the Coach K connection but why would the folks in Chapel Hill be beating down his door when Roy retires?

PostPosted: Sun Mar 12, 2017 4:28 pm 

Dan Muller from
Illinois state.

Last edited by good dolphin on Mon Mar 13, 2017 8:45 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 12, 2017 9:08 pm 

FrankDrebin wrote:
Cuonzo Martin

I think this would be a pretty solid hire for them.

He seems to be in the mix for the Mizzou job as well.

Frank Coztansa wrote:
I have MANY years of experience in trying to appreciate steaming piles of dogshit.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2017 8:24 am 

RFDC wrote:
FrankDrebin wrote:
Cuonzo Martin

Cuonzo Martin is not a good coach. His teams constantly underperform their talent level. His peak finish is simply making the NCAA tournament.

The Missing Link wrote:
For instance they were never taught that Columbus was a slave owner.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2017 9:11 am 

Location: Bohemian Club Annual World Power Consolidation Conference & Golf Outing
pizza_Place: World Fluoridation Conspiracy Pizza & WINGS!
RFDC wrote:
FrankDrebin wrote:
Cuonzo Martin

I suspect Whitman is going to select someone outside the regular Top 5 list of candidates.

He has money to spend and already tried to hire Monty Williams. The program just spent about $200 million renovating the stadium and they have a top 5 or 10 class coming in, probably their best class in over a decade.

I think it will be someone unexpected.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2017 9:15 am 

WaitingforRuffcorn wrote:
RFDC wrote:
FrankDrebin wrote:
Cuonzo Martin

Cuonzo Martin is not a good coach. His teams constantly underperform their talent level. His peak finish is simply making the NCAA tournament.
He hasn't stayed anywhere to really know.

Fred Hoiberg wouldn't surprise me either but that is an awkward hire to wait for.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2017 9:17 am 

pizza_Place: Mauries Table
Dr. Kenneth Noisewater wrote:
RFDC wrote:
FrankDrebin wrote:
Cuonzo Martin

I suspect Whitman is going to select someone outside the regular Top 5 list of candidates.

He has money to spend and already tried to hire Monty Williams. The program just spent about $200 million renovating the stadium and they have a top 5 or 10 class coming in, probably their best class in over a decade.

Hope they make a quick and popular hire...otherwise that top ranked class will be quickly picked over by the vultures.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2017 9:33 am 

Zippy-The-Pinhead wrote:
Dr. Kenneth Noisewater wrote:
RFDC wrote:
FrankDrebin wrote:
Cuonzo Martin

Hope they make a quick and popular hire...otherwise that top ranked class will be quickly picked over by the vultures.
Supposedly the 5 star is still open to go anywhere. Most of these top guys are signing non-binding agreements to attend.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2017 9:42 am 

Illinois needs someone who can grease the right palms in Chicago. Not sure who that is, but they've tried the successful mid-major guy the last two times and they failed because of recruiting. Bruce Weber hung around for several seasons because of the promise of Jereme Richmond, but he flamed out and the program has been a doormat ever since.

The Missing Link wrote:

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2017 9:43 am 

pizza_Place: Angelo's Pizza in Downers Grove
I think it will be a minority candidate. I think it was a mandate from the Trustees when he was hired after the firestorm caused by the Beckman/Groce hirings. However, it came with the caveat that Whitman could pretty much pay anything to get them.

With that said, he went after his #1 choice -- Monty Williams -- and lost. I think Cuonzo or Kevin Keatts are his back up plans. I think I would prefer to take my chances with Keatts over Cuonzo.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2017 9:48 am 

Illinois needs someone who can grease the right palms in Chicago. Not sure who that is, but they've tried the successful mid-major guy the last two times and they failed because of recruiting. Bruce Weber hung around for several seasons because of the promise of Jereme Richmond, but he flamed out and the program has been a doormat ever since.

The problem is heavily recruiting Chicago has never worked well for them. It's not worth it unless the player has ties to the school.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2017 10:39 am 

Boilermaker Rick wrote:

The problem is heavily recruiting Chicago has never worked well for them. It's not worth it unless the player has ties to the school.

They've basically lived off players from the rest of the state for the past several years. So I don't know what other path there is to relevance. Hope that the rest of their Peoria Manual class keeps having kids?

If Purdue gets bounced in the first round again and Swanigan leaves, will Painter be in trouble if he fails to make the NCAA tournament next season? Painter has been underwhelming other than than Robbie Hummel recruiting class. Still annoying that Scott Martin transferred from that team.

The Missing Link wrote:

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2017 10:40 am 

pizza_Place: any from anywhere
Bring in this guy:

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2017 10:44 am 

They've basically lived off players from the rest of the state for the past several years. So I don't know what other path there is to relevance. Hope that the rest of their Peoria Manual class keeps having kids?
Go get players from the rest of the state and the St. Louis area and then attack the rest of the Midwest hard.

If Purdue gets bounced in the first round again and Swanigan leaves, will Painter be in trouble if he fails to make the NCAA tournament next season? Painter has been underwhelming other than than Robbie Hummel recruiting class. Still annoying that Scott Martin transferred from that team.
That is a lot of ifs but his job would be in trouble with that happening. I doubt either thing happens though. They should beat Vermont at least and compete well with Iowa State or Nevada and next year they'll still be a top 25 team to a borderline top 25 team. The year after that is a little more concerning.

Basically, Painter is going to keep his job as long as the team is ranked. He needs more NCAA tournament success to survive a down year or two though.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2017 11:06 am 

Boilermaker Rick wrote:
Go get players from the rest of the state and the St. Louis area and then attack the rest of the Midwest hard.

That is a lot of ifs but his job would be in trouble with that happening. I doubt either thing happens though. They should beat Vermont at least and compete well with Iowa State or Nevada and next year they'll still be a top 25 team to a borderline top 25 team. The year after that is a little more concerning.

Basically, Painter is going to keep his job as long as the team is ranked. He needs more NCAA tournament success to survive a down year or two though.

I don't think Purdue is going to be very good next year, and Painter doesn't have a great class lined up for next year. (Other than this generation's Matt ten Dam.)Purdue hoops seems cursed. Not sure how they have avoided a Final Four for the last 30 years with all of the great team's they have had. With Illinois and Indiana struggling now would be an great time for them to mine their recruiting grounds.

As for Illinois, they have been recruiting that way for years. The last time they were in the Final Four it was with a guard from Proviso East as their leading scorer.

The Missing Link wrote:

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2017 11:16 am 

pizza_Place: Il-Forno in Deerfield
Thibideau, (I mean, isn't his mentality way more suited for college and a 7 person rotation).

Seriously though, Danny Manning.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2017 11:30 am 

I don't think Purdue is going to be very good next year, and Painter doesn't have a great class lined up for next year. (Other than this generation's Matt ten Dam.)Purdue hoops seems cursed. Not sure how they have avoided a Final Four for the last 30 years with all of the great team's they have had. With Illinois and Indiana struggling now would be an great time for them to mine their recruiting grounds.
They have one real nice recruit coming in next year and then a few projects.

They'll be good. Starting 3 or 4 seniors + Carsen Edwards and hopefully a nice contribution from Nojel Eastern. They'll actually have the guard dominant type team that is best suited for college basketball. Losing Swanigan obviously hurt but a lot of people thought that losing AJ Hammons would hurt and this team is better than that one.

As for Illinois, they have been recruiting that way for years. The last time they were in the Final Four it was with a guard from Proviso East as their leading scorer.
That was one player though who far outperformed his expected college production though. It wasn't from chasing the same guys that Calipari and Self want.

There just isn't any reason to believe Illinois has any better chance of recruiting Chicago than any other school within a 300 mile radius or any of the national programs. It's also not really worth recruiting Chicago as it is way too much effort for very little payoff. The top programs in the country take the best players and then you are hoping to get the next tier of players with similar shenanigans required to even enter the conversation.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2017 11:37 am 

89 and 05 were primarily Chicago area guys. 01 was more central Illinois

Yes it is.

CDOM wrote:
When this is all over, which is not going to be for a while, Trump will be re-elected President.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2017 11:47 am 

Boilermaker Rick wrote:
They have one real nice recruit coming in next year and then a few projects.

They'll be good. Starting 3 or 4 seniors + Carsen Edwards and hopefully a nice contribution from Nojel Eastern. They'll actually have the guard dominant type team that is best suited for college basketball. Losing Swanigan obviously hurt but a lot of people thought that losing AJ Hammons would hurt and this team is better than that one.

That was one player though who far outperformed his expected college production though. It wasn't from chasing the same guys that Calipari and Self want.

There just isn't any reason to believe Illinois has any better chance of recruiting Chicago than any other school within a 300 mile radius or any of the national programs. It's also not really worth recruiting Chicago as it is way too much effort for very little payoff. The top programs in the country take the best players and then you are hoping to get the next tier of players with similar shenanigans required to even enter the conversation.

Swanigan shined this year because Hammonds left. Sad they could not make their pairing work better. Hammonds was very fun to watch defensively.

Dee Brown was a top 20 five-star recruit. Even if you lock down the rest of the state, Illinois has to get talent from somewhere else to be relevant. Chicago seems to make the most sense, but Self and Calapari do seem to own it. I guess their money is better.

The Missing Link wrote: