It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:58 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Tourney Calcutta
PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2017 10:12 am 

Have any of you ever been involved in one of these? My friend just detailed one he was at yesterday where the pot ended up being just short of 600K. I have heard of one's at CBOT back in the day that exceeded that number. It seems like a crazy amount of money just to buy in on a lottery ticket type team.

Trump Effect!

Post subject: Re: Tourney Calcutta
PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2017 10:21 am 
Site Admin

pizza_Place: Aurelio's
good dolphin wrote:
Have any of you ever been involved in one of these? My friend just detailed one he was at yesterday where the pot ended up being just short of 600K. I have heard of one's at CBOT back in the day that exceeded that number. It seems like a crazy amount of money just to buy in on a lottery ticket type team.

Trump Effect!

Yes. I used to play in one every year. I'd put together a group of 6-8 guys willing to spend about $1500-2000 apiece and then I would bid on the teams. That was a small budget in this thing. One year I bought Georgia Tech for $3600 and ran them all the way to the final game and I also had Indiana the last time they made the final. I think we only paid $1800 for the Hoosiers. I remember getting over $17,000 for that one. A lot of it was in fives and singles. Very strange. The last year I played it was hard to get anything bought reasonably. The top seeds were going for $20,000+.