It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:29 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 577 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 20  Next
 Post subject: Re: Fire Brad Underwood
PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2017 3:43 pm 

Big Chicagoan wrote:
Coleman-Lands transferring confirmed.
Off to DePaul.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2017 10:43 am 
Site Admin

pizza_Place: Aurelio's
Today Dosunmu gets to throw the Illini hat down.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2017 10:50 am 

I spent the last few moments trying to figure out who Brad Underwood is

PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2017 7:42 pm 

Location: Bohemian Club Annual World Power Consolidation Conference & Golf Outing
pizza_Place: World Fluoridation Conspiracy Pizza & WINGS!
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:

The Chevy Blazers are back, baby!!

PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2017 7:51 pm 

pizza_Place: giordanos
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:

Look promising.

-Ronald Reagan

PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2017 8:07 pm 

Location: Bohemian Club Annual World Power Consolidation Conference & Golf Outing
Smith and Dosunmu are going to look real good together next year.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2017 5:28 pm 

Dr. Kenneth Noisewater wrote:
Smith and Dosunmu are going to look real good together next year.

Don't know if Ayo is that guy but its a real good get for Underwood. They got the No.1 player in the state. That would never have happened under Groce. Chin and the Irvins are extremely tight. Chin and Mike Irvin were high school teammates at South Shore.

He also was once a member of their AAU coaching staff. Illinois will have an immediate in on every player who plays for the Fire going forward.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 21, 2017 12:20 pm 

pizza_Place: Vito and Nick's
Regular Reader wrote:
I spent the last few moments trying to figure out who Brad Underwood is

You're sick. While y'all busy thinking, I was busy getting two primo seats (half court, row 6, 55 bucks apiece) to see the Illini take on NC-Central. Gonna be a barn-burner.

Usually take my son (who is NOT a sports fan or an athlete, but whatever--just trying to get him interested in college and away from video games) to one pre-season game like this. Always a good time.

Anyone up for a Big Ten game? Only problem (at UIUC) is they play on weeknights and Sunday nights....

PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2017 7:50 pm 

pizza_Place: Drag's
Iowa State gets Horton-Tucker. Between Horton-Tucker, George Conditt, and Zion Griffin from Hinsdale South, they've cleaned up in the Chicago Area. Reloading not rebuilding at this point. They could have a top 10-15 class for 2018.

"Smiles with Nostrils"

"...no Hmong, go find some blacks"

PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2017 8:17 pm 

The Horton Tucker situation is a good example of why it will be really hard for a coach to have sustained success at Illinois.

Frank Coztansa wrote:
I have MANY years of experience in trying to appreciate steaming piles of dogshit.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2017 9:22 pm 

RFDC wrote:
The Horton Tucker situation is a good example of why it will be really hard for a coach to have sustained success at Illinois.

A guy from a couple classes ahead of me in high school (my brother's class) just donated $150 million to the school. They are naming the business school after him.

We are about to take over.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2017 9:26 pm 

RFDC wrote:

A guy from a couple classes ahead of me in high school (my brother's class) just donated $150 million to the school. They are naming the business school after him.

That is cool. Better to be known for business than basketball anyhow.

Frank Coztansa wrote:
I have MANY years of experience in trying to appreciate steaming piles of dogshit.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2017 9:28 pm 

RFDC wrote:
RFDC wrote:

That is cool. Better to be known for business than basketball anyhow.

Freaked my brother out. We all knew the guy was pretty successful but he kept such a low-profile that it kind of shocked us all.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2017 10:28 pm 

pizza_Place: Amato's
RFDC wrote:

Some really weird rumors out there regarding the THT rift with Ayo.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2017 7:19 am 

RFDC wrote:

This could be a massive disaster. They'll regret the decision they made. No recruit should be able to do this to you.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2017 8:41 am 

Boilermaker Rick wrote:
RFDC wrote:

This could be a massive disaster. They'll regret the decision they made. No recruit should be able to do this to you.

Sounds like Underwood chose the Mac Irvin Fire over Simeon. Given recent history, not sure that was a mistake.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2017 8:57 am 

Peter Puck wrote:
Boilermaker Rick wrote:
RFDC wrote:

Sounds like Underwood chose the Mac Irvin Fire over Simeon. Given recent history, not sure that was a mistake.

This will be used to negatively recruit against Illinois. Letting one guy run the show before he even enrolls. Why would you want to be part of that?

PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2017 9:19 am 

RFDC wrote:

that hs is the cradle of billionaires

PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2017 9:20 am 
Site Admin

Boilermaker Rick wrote:
Peter Puck wrote:
Boilermaker Rick wrote:
RFDC wrote:

This will be used to negatively recruit against Illinois. Letting one guy run the show before he even enrolls. Why would you want to be part of that?

Everyone uses whatever they can to recruit. Of course other guys will use it to paint Illinois in ugly colors. But college athletics is an "every man for himself" business. Guys get scholarships taken away all the time- guys who have actually been in school.

And fuck Simeon. Sure they deliver the "B" players to Illinois, guys like Tate and Williams who belong in the MAC, but when a real player like Rose or Parker comes along it's, "Hey Illinois, go fuck yourself."

PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2017 9:35 am 
Site Admin

Also, Horton Tucker and his family didn't bash Illinois.

I'm interested in LTG's take on this one.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2017 10:03 am 

- Horton Tucker is really good.

- Nick Irvin is still a douchebag.

- This happens all the time but the Illinois coaching staff either is completely incompetent or arrogantly thought they could change Irvin's mind before pulling the offer the day of.

Yes it is.

CDOM wrote:
When this is all over, which is not going to be for a while, Trump will be re-elected President.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2017 1:26 pm 

Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
And fuck Simeon. Sure they deliver the "B" players to Illinois, guys like Tate and Williams who belong in the MAC, but when a real player like Rose or Parker comes along it's, "Hey Illinois, go fuck yourself."

Winner, winner, chicken dinner.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2017 1:36 pm 

Peter Puck wrote:
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:

Winner, winner, chicken dinner.

I'm on board. If you need to make a choice, you can't choose Simeon alone. And it seems a choice needed to be made.

Simeon hasn't made an impact on Illinois in 25 years.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 28, 2017 12:41 pm 

Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:

Underwood should have chosen the Irvins over Simeon. Simeon has provided junk since Nick Anderson. Kevin Turner was ok but not elite and really just a throw in for Notree years ago.

The best players in the state tend to play for the Fire anyway. Robert Smith has used leverage when believed that he had it so why shouldn't the Irvins?

I don't blame Smith for Rose and Parker because the family handled the recruiting in both situations.

I do blame him for forcing ILLINOIS to take kids that were not Big Ten players however. He used the Simeon brand to force Ilinois's hand on guys like Tate and D.J. Williams. Stan Simpson too. Promised better players down the road and it never materialized.

I actually see Talen Horton as one of those kinds of players. He is only about 6'3 tops and not athletic. He'd have transferred out at some point anyway.

The Irvins didn't do business with Grove because they were mad that he chose Paris over Chin for the assistant coach job. It's one of the reasons that they missed on bright lights and to a lesser degree Charlie Moore. They didn't want to deal with Illinois or Paris in particular. Probably one of the reasons, albeit a slight one, as to why they missed on Brunson.

Chin is their guy. This means that Illinois will be in play for every player that comes through the Fire program. Doesn't mean they will get them but they will have more of a chance.

Problem with that is that the Fire haven't been all that good the last 3 years. They have been getting blasted on the circuit since guys like Okafor and Alexander have departed.
Their talent has coincided with a general drop in talent in the Chicago area. If Chicago isn't good then they aren't either.
Ayo isn't an NBA prospect though he will be a help to the program.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 28, 2017 11:33 pm 

long time guy wrote:
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:

Underwood should have chosen the Irvins over Simeon. Simeon has provided junk since Nick Anderson. Kevin Turner was ok but not elite and really just a throw in for Notree years ago.

The best players in the state tend to play for the Fire anyway. Robert Smith has used leverage when believed that he had it so why shouldn't the Irvins?

I don't blame Smith for Rose and Parker because the family handled the recruiting in both situations.

I do blame him for forcing ILLINOIS to take kids that were not Big Ten players however. He used the Simeon brand to force Ilinois's hand on guys like Tate and D.J. Williams. Stan Simpson too. Promised better players down the road and it never materialized.

I actually see Talen Horton as one of those kinds of players. He is only about 6'3 tops and not athletic. He'd have transferred out at some point anyway.

The Irvins didn't do business with Grove because they were mad that he chose Paris over Chin for the assistant coach job. It's one of the reasons that they missed on bright lights and to a lesser degree Charlie Moore. They didn't want to deal with Illinois or Paris in particular. Probably one of the reasons, albeit a slight one, as to why they missed on Brunson.

Chin is their guy. This means that Illinois will be in play for every player that comes through the Fire program. Doesn't mean they will get them but they will have more of a chance.

Problem with that is that the Fire haven't been all that good the last 3 years. They have been getting blasted on the circuit since guys like Okafor and Alexander have departed.
Their talent has coincided with a general drop in talent in the Chicago area. If Chicago isn't good then they aren't either.

Yeah what exactly is Horton-Tucker? He looks kind of like Q Richardson with more baby fat. Yet Kansas & Michigan State offered him, among many others.

"Smiles with Nostrils"

PostPosted: Sun Oct 29, 2017 9:40 am 

DannyB wrote:
long time guy wrote:
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:

Yeah what exactly is Horton-Tucker? He looks kind of like Q Richardson with more baby fat. Yet Kansas & Michigan State offered him, among many others.

He is an undersized 3. He has long arms which makes him appear taller than he is. He has a decent skill set but he doesn't wow with it.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 29, 2017 9:46 am 
Site Admin

long time guy wrote:
DannyB wrote:
long time guy wrote:
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:

He is an undersized 3. He has long arms which makes him appear taller than he is. He has a decent skill set but he doesn't wow with it.

Some of the stuff I've read suggests that he will put on muscle and be an undersized power player in the Dantley/Aguirre/Calvin Natt vein.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 29, 2017 10:27 am 

Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
long time guy wrote:
DannyB wrote:
long time guy wrote:
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:

Some of the stuff I've read suggests that he will put on muscle and be an undersized power player in the Dantley/Aguirre/Calvin Natt vein.

He is already a thick kid. He can tone up a little but he doesn't really have to add weight. He doesn't have the low post game those guys had.

The high majors really started checking for him late. I don't see him having much impact in the Big 12

PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2017 10:30 pm 

pizza_Place: Angelo's Pizza in Downers Grove
Lost to Eastern Illinois tonight.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2017 10:41 pm 

Big Chicagoan wrote:
Lost to Eastern Illinois tonight.

Outscored by 17 in the 2nd half. :lol:

"Smiles with Nostrils"

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 577 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 20  Next