It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:02 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 577 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14 ... 20  Next
 Post subject: Re: Fire Brad Underwood
PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2018 11:51 pm 

pizza_Place: Vito and Nick's
RFDC wrote:
Wouldn't surprise me at all to see them get a W vs Indiana. Indiana is real up and down.

there ya go

PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2018 11:52 pm 

Peter Puck wrote:
long time guy wrote:
Peter Puck wrote:
City of Fools wrote:
I haven't been able to catch a minute of ILLini basketball, after the Mizzou game. Is Underwood a terrible coach? Will they be any better next year?

They are playing hard at least. Some say the current roster is not able to play the up tempo game Underwood wants. The roster is still filled with Groce's crap.

Frazier (the frosh guard from the state of Florida) looks to be what people thought Mark Smith (the reigning Mr. Illinois Basketball) was going to be. Smith is having a tough time playing big boy basketball and there is talk he is unhappy and will transfer. Williams (Frank's kid) missed his senior HS season with a knee and looks to be doing ok when he does not throw the ball away in crucial situations. Leron Black appears to be the only Groce era player who has gotten better under Underwood. The rest of the roster either plays badly, get hot in limited stretches (Kipper last night) or are just guys with a pulse.

Underwood has not been able to recruit a big, or even a big transfer, which is extremely problematic for next year despite having a stud guard, Ayo from Morgan Park, coming in.

He may have made a mistake in passing on THT from Simeon. He may turnout to be better than Ayo. He is more skilled. Currently ranked a few slots behind Ayo and they definitely should have been able to play alongside one another.

I think here were rumors of family issues between THT and Ayo that made them playing together an issue. Ayo has a sister.....

Yeah, it was something all f-d up. Really weird drama.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2018 12:03 am 

pizza_Place: Angelo's Pizza in Downers Grove
Illinois going to win 10 straight now.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2018 9:12 am 

DannyB wrote:

Dis Henricksen thinks Horton-Tucker has major star potential. Sounds a lot like Q Richardson to me, based on his comments. Thinks Griffin can be very good once he develops his off-hand. Conditt is a string bean project. Have you seen any of these guys play this year?

https://www.desmoinesregister.com/story ... 056757001/

I actually saw him a few weeks ago and he better than what i thought originally. He can do a little bit of everything. I was wrong about him. He is much more skilled than Ayo. He has moved up to 31 nationally on one list. He will be the state's Mr. Basketball this season.

He has slimmed down this year and is more athletic as a result. Don't see him as an NBA player but i expect him to do big things in the Big 12.

The problem for him may be his height He is only about 6'3. They list him at 6'5 but he is nowhere near that. His arms make him appear taller than he actually is. I wonder where they play him in college.

As far as Conditt goes i've never seen him play but a good friend of mine's son plays with him at Corliss. When i asked my guy about him he really didn't provide a ringing endorsement. Don't think so anyway. I remember him saying "He ain't no Garnett". I said shit Garnett was a pro and a damn Hall of Famer. If that is only knock then he should be decent.

I'm always leery about guys like Conditt. They play in a weak ass conf. and don't play high caliber basketball. Difficult to scout playing against that level of competition.

Now he is going from that to a top 3 conf. He also is a guy that came out of nowhere and hasn't really been scrutinized that much.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2018 9:44 am 

long time guy wrote:
DannyB wrote:

Dis Henricksen thinks Horton-Tucker has major star potential. Sounds a lot like Q Richardson to me, based on his comments. Thinks Griffin can be very good once he develops his off-hand. Conditt is a string bean project. Have you seen any of these guys play this year?

I actually saw him a few weeks ago and he better than what i thought originally. He can do a little bit of everything. I was wrong about him. He is much more skilled than Ayo. He has moved up to 31 nationally on one list. He will be the state's Mr. Basketball this season.

He has slimmed down this year and is more athletic as a result. Don't see him as an NBA player but i expect him to do big things in the Big 12.

The problem for him may be his height He is only about 6'3. They list him at 6'5 but he is nowhere near that. His arms make him appear taller than he actually is. I wonder where they play him in college.

As far as Conditt goes i've never seen him play but a good friend of mine's son plays with him at Corliss. When i asked my guy about him he really didn't provide a ringing endorsement. Don't think so anyway. I remember him saying "He ain't no Garnett". I said shit Garnett was a pro and a damn Hall of Famer. If that is only knock then he should be decent.

I'm always leery about guys like Conditt. They play in a weak ass conf. and don't play high caliber basketball. Difficult to scout playing against that level of competition.

Now he is going from that to a top 3 conf. He also is a guy that came out of nowhere and hasn't really been scrutinized that much.

Ayo is going to be Mr. Basketball. He is the bigger name. That's all they care about. Sad part for Illinois is the Mark Smith, last year's Mr. Basketball will probably be transferring because he can't handle Underwood. He has Conditt's problem.

THT and Ayo had an issue when they were teammates on Mac Irvin Fire that caused THT to leave the team (kicked off the team?). Mac Irvin is considered the golden goose for Illinois recruits. He told Underwood that if he accepted THT's commitment (which THT was about to do), that he would not get any future recruits from Mac Irvin Fire and Ayo would probably decommit. Underwood made the choice for long-term recruiting and pulled the scholarship offer from THT.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2018 9:52 am 

Big Chicagoan wrote:
long time guy wrote:
DannyB wrote:

Ayo is going to be Mr. Basketball. He is the bigger name. That's all they care about. Sad part for Illinois is the Mark Smith, last year's Mr. Basketball will probably be transferring because he can't handle Underwood. He has Conditt's problem.

THT and Ayo had an issue when they were teammates on Mac Irvin Fire that caused THT to leave the team (kicked off the team?). Mac Irvin is considered the golden goose for Illinois recruits. He told Underwood that if he accepted THT's commitment (which THT was about to do), that he would not get any future recruits from Mac Irvin Fire and Ayo would probably decommit. Underwood made the choice for long-term recruiting and pulled the scholarship offer from THT.

No i'm familiar with the story and Also familiar with the Irvins and how they operate. THT left the Fire because they were featuring Ayo too much during the AAU season. Got with Team Rose and his recruitment took off as a result. There also was a physical altercation between one of his family members and the parent of a kid that played for both Morgan Park and the Fire at one of the AAU events.

Someone that i spoke with stated that he never was going to attend Illinois. Did the dog and pony simply to show respect to the state school.

No way Ayo gets Mr. Basketball. He has missed more than half their games because of injury. They have shut him down til the playoffs start.

If they give him Mr.Basketball with that being the case more than a few eyebrows will be raised.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2018 9:54 am 

Different coach. Same Illinois.

Frank Coztansa wrote:
I have MANY years of experience in trying to appreciate steaming piles of dogshit.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2018 9:59 am 

RFDC wrote:

Beating Indiana?

PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2018 10:06 am 

Big Chicagoan wrote:
RFDC wrote:

Beating Indiana?

:lol: indiana has won 5 out of the last 7 meetings and leads the overall series.

Frank Coztansa wrote:
I have MANY years of experience in trying to appreciate steaming piles of dogshit.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2018 10:07 am 

RFDC wrote:
Big Chicagoan wrote:
RFDC wrote:

Beating Indiana?

:lol: indiana has won 5 out of the last 7 meetings and leads the overall series.

So you're saying different coach, different Illinois?

PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2018 10:09 am 

I was not referencing the series with indiana at all.

Frank Coztansa wrote:

PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2018 10:09 am 

BTW, someone at Indiana should tell McSwain that it is okay to skip arm-day once in a while. Guy needs to even out.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2018 10:11 am 

RFDC wrote:

I would say Illinois is totally different under the new coach. The results are just worse, so far.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2018 10:11 am 

Big Chicagoan wrote:
RFDC wrote:

I would say Illinois is totally different under the new coach. The results are just worse, so far.

:lol: ok. Progress

Frank Coztansa wrote:

PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2018 8:23 pm 

pizza_Place: Drag's
Big Chicagoan wrote:
long time guy wrote:
DannyB wrote:

This is THT's family's side of the story. For whatever reason they felt the need to clear the air.

https://www.desmoinesregister.com/story ... 305375002/

"Smiles with Nostrils"

"...no Hmong, go find some blacks"

PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2018 6:01 pm 

pizza_Place: Pizza Hut
Illinois won today

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2018 10:12 pm 

Gonna be an ugly week for the Illini....

PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2018 10:24 pm 

Boilermaker Rick wrote:
spanky wrote:
This is almost a laughable hire, really. I'm almost feeling bad for Illini fans at this point. Was this their 8th choice?
I don't do college fan boards. I'm assuming the opinions on this are not favorable.

The upside to this hire is.....very minimal. What exactly is the upside?
Best case scenario: he leaves in two years because he thinks he's moving up?

Underwood has been really good wherever he has gone. Illinois is a tourney team next year.

:D

He better learn to coach defense.

61 pts allowed in 2nd half and 96 for the game to a bad Iowa team

Frank Coztansa wrote:

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2018 6:47 am 

Oops.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2018 8:35 am 

pizza_Place: Kaisers
Disappointing year to be sure. Giving him a chance to bring in some of his own guys and recruit. I didn't see the loss last night but
losing by 9 to weak Iowa team is not a good look. They played a lot of relatively close games and only got blown out a handful of
times. Looking at the bright side I think that is something to build on.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2018 8:42 am 
Site Admin

pizza_Place: Aurelio's
T-Bone wrote:
Disappointing year to be sure. Giving him a chance to bring in some of his own guys and recruit. I didn't see the loss last night but
losing by 9 to weak Iowa team is not a good look. They played a lot of relatively close games and only got blown out a handful of

The problem for me is that his recruiting doesn't seem so sporty thus far. I mean, Dosunmu is a good get, but the Horton-Tucker thing is looking like a bigger disaster after each game the kid plays. Beyond that, he doesn't seem to have done much.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2018 8:51 am 

pizza_Place: Kaisers
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
T-Bone wrote:

The problem for me is that his recruiting doesn't seem so sporty thus far. I mean, Dosunmu is a good get, but the Horton-Tucker thing is looking like a bigger disaster after each game the kid plays. Beyond that, he doesn't seem to have done much.

No it really doesn't. I also don't know what kind of kids he is looking for. They like to run and gun so will he be going after many true big men?
I would think his system would appeal to a lot of kids, of course they also want to win.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2018 8:52 am 

Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
T-Bone wrote:

The Illini were bizarre. They have talent. They play hard. They weren't very good though.

He also seems like a guy who is going to die on the court.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2018 2:16 pm 

Mark Smith to transfer. Rumors are several more are going to be following.

Not a good look when your best recruit up and leaves after one season.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2018 2:20 pm 
Site Admin

Big Chicagoan wrote:

No surprise. The writing was on the wall with that one.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2018 3:07 pm 

Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
Big Chicagoan wrote:

He pretty much did nothing. Couldn't shoot, couldn't pass. And it's not like he was playing five minutes a game, either.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2018 3:20 pm 
Site Admin

tommy wrote:
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
Big Chicagoan wrote:

He pretty much did nothing. Couldn't shoot, couldn't pass. And it's not like he was playing five minutes a game, either.

Yeah, I'm not sad to see him leave as an individual. But as Big Chicagoan's post suggests, it's not good for a program to have top recruits bailing after a year.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2018 3:21 pm 

Smith was an OVC level recruit before last high school season. He got inflated due to playing on team that had vastly superior players than most of the the teams they played.

Yes it is.

CDOM wrote:
When this is all over, which is not going to be for a while, Trump will be re-elected President.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2018 3:30 pm 

Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
tommy wrote:
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
Big Chicagoan wrote:

Yeah, I'm not sad to see him leave as an individual. But as Big Chicagoan's post suggests, it's not good for a program to have top recruits bailing after a year.

True, but I guess Underwood is gonna bring in his own guys. (I am assuming he didn't recruit Smith?)

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2018 3:47 pm 

tommy wrote:
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
tommy wrote:
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
Big Chicagoan wrote:

True, but I guess Underwood is gonna bring in his own guys. (I am assuming he didn't recruit Smith?)

Smith was his first recruit.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 577 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14 ... 20  Next