It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:50 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 577 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 20  Next
 Post subject: Fire Brad Underwood
PostPosted: Sat Mar 18, 2017 3:25 pm 

Per twitter seems Illini nation not happy. Leaves Okla st after year for Illinois.

Yes it is.

CDOM wrote:
When this is all over, which is not going to be for a while, Trump will be re-elected President.

Post subject: Re: Fire Brad Underwood
PostPosted: Sat Mar 18, 2017 3:33 pm 

pizza_Place: John's
Great hire for U of I. Eastern Illinois is a more desirable job than U of I now.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 18, 2017 3:43 pm 

pizza_Place: Chuck E Cheese
Google tells me this guy is white. Not cool Illini.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 18, 2017 3:46 pm 

pizza_Place: Al's Pizza
Like I said the other day, he's got a little Mike Nort in him.

<º)))><

Waiting for the time when I can finally say
That this has all been wonderful, but now I'm on my way

PostPosted: Sat Mar 18, 2017 3:51 pm 

Underwhelming hire but he has a lot of potential. Should have a great offense.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 18, 2017 3:53 pm 

Boilermaker Rick wrote:

U of I fans are the fat, unattractive dudes that make 25K a year at Enterprise Rent a Car and don't understand why they aren't dating a '10'.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 18, 2017 3:55 pm 

Caller Bob wrote:
Boilermaker Rick wrote:

U of I fans are the fat, unattractive dudes that make 25K a year at Enterprise Rent a Car and don't understand why they aren't dating a '10'.

They give you the tools to be your own boss.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 18, 2017 4:15 pm 

pizza_Place: Totonno's
This is Doug Gottlieb with a message board minute. Forrest Gump popularized the phrase "Life is like a box of chocolates, you never know what you're gonna get." Often this is the case with athletic directors filling open head coaching positions. Illinois announced earlier today that they've hired Brad Underwood, head coach from Oklahoma State. Undeniably successful at the beginning of his coaching career, he took Stephen F. Austin to the NCAA tournament each of his three years there. With only one year at Oklahoma State, they went to the tournament, but got bounced in the first round. Now it is on to Illinois, a program which expects to be competitive immediately. Time will tell if Underwood will take Illinois dancing with Jenny... or sitting on a bench waiting for the bus to the next town. I'm Doug Gottlieb.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 18, 2017 4:17 pm 

pizza_Place: Quonset
Hmmm. Can he recruit Chicago?

PostPosted: Sat Mar 18, 2017 4:25 pm 

Doug Gottlieb wrote:
This is Doug Gottlieb with a message board minute. Forrest Gump popularized the phrase "Life is like a box of chocolates, you never know what you're gonna get." Often this is the case with athletic directors filling open head coaching positions. Illinois announced earlier today that they've hired Brad Underwood, head coach from Oklahoma State. Undeniably successful at the beginning of his coaching career, he took Stephen F. Austin to the NCAA tournament each of his three years there. With only one year at Oklahoma State, they went to the tournament, but got bounced in the first round. Now it is on to Illinois, a program which expects to be competitive immediately. Time will tell if Underwood will take Illinois dancing with Jenny... or sitting on a bench waiting for the bus to the next town. I'm Doug Gottlieb.

Imo, this mult has potential

PostPosted: Sat Mar 18, 2017 4:27 pm 

Location: Bohemian Club Annual World Power Consolidation Conference & Golf Outing
pizza_Place: World Fluoridation Conspiracy Pizza & WINGS!
Caller Bob wrote:
Boilermaker Rick wrote:

26.5k. Suck on that.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 18, 2017 4:45 pm 

pizza_Place: Rosati's
Doug Gottlieb wrote:

Not bad, but forgot the two-second dead-air pauses.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 18, 2017 4:47 pm 

So he was the back up to the back up plan? I dont see him doing much better than Groce but he will prove to be better than Keatts. Definitely underwhelming

Frank Coztansa wrote:
I have MANY years of experience in trying to appreciate steaming piles of dogshit.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 18, 2017 4:53 pm 

pizza_Place: Oh I'm sorry but, there's no one on the line
It's tough to judge based on a guy who went 9-9 in his conference and was only there for one year. It may have been a bird in the hand situation where they had talked earlier and wanted to get him signed before some other southern state had an opening. Hopefully he picked up a thing or two from Huggins.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 18, 2017 5:05 pm 

Location: Bohemian Club Annual World Power Consolidation Conference & Golf Outing
Not impressed.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 18, 2017 5:21 pm 

pizza_Place: Drag's
Weird hire but he did an unbelievable job with a pretty shitty roster this year. Destroyed Wichita St in Wichita. Almost beat Maryland on the road. Started 0-6 in a deep conference but finished 9-3. Beat Huggy Bear at West Va. He's already better than Groce if he can recruit at all, and definitely more fun to watch.

"Smiles with Nostrils"

"...no Hmong, go find some blacks"

PostPosted: Sat Mar 18, 2017 5:44 pm 

DannyB wrote:
He's already better than Groce if he can recruit at all, and definitely more fun to watch.

There is no way you can make this statement yet. He had one year at Ok State. Groce did better in his first year at Illinois than that and made it deeper in the tournament

This was an awful quick hire. Did they even reach out to guys like Marshall and Miller? Or after Keatts was gone did they jump to get someone before getting left with someone even worse?

He appears to have no recruiting experience in the midwest much less the Chicago area.

The fact that he left Ok State after just one year is a concern as well.

Frank Coztansa wrote:
I have MANY years of experience in trying to appreciate steaming piles of dogshit.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 18, 2017 5:50 pm 

pizza_Place: A few...
http://www.tulsaworld.com/sportsextra/o ... 242f6.html

There are the coaching changes you see coming months away. Travis Ford’s for instance. Local writers walked around Chesapeake Energy Arena at the NCAA regional in Oklahoma City last March thinking “when,” not “if.”

And then there moments when you’re sitting at your computer writing a column about Scott Drew, you read something you can’t believe you’re seeing – in this case, a tweeted picture of Oklahoma State coach Brad Underwood as Illinois’ new coach, standing next to Illinois’ athletic director, the both of them smiling and wearing orange pullovers with Illinois’ “block I” logo on it.

Some coaching changes happen out of thin air, and it’s hard to even think straight, let alone wrap your mind around why it happened.

Here’s a quick attempt to try, at least, to lend perspective to Underwood’s departure for the Illini...

This had to be about money

Several weeks ago I was killing time with a Big 12 athletic official. I told him Underwood was making $1 million this season. He literally could not believe it.

Travis Ford made three times that for going 3-15 in the Big 12 Conference and coming up short in the NCAA Tournament with Marcus Smart. Bill Self makes four times that at Kansas.

Underwood didn’t have a Power 5 pedigree after being hired away from Stephen F. Austin. He certainly didn’t have Self’s track record.

But a Power 5 coach making $1 million for a basketball program with OSU’s richness? Gulp.

As far as Illinois... Here’s a line from a Chicago Tribune story in the aftermath of Illinois’ recent firing John Groce: “One source familiar with the Illinois board of trustees discussions said Whitman could have as much as $25 million to spend.”

ESPN's Jeff Goodman, who broke the story, reported Underwood would receive in excess of $3 million annually in Champaign.

Underwood was getting a raise had he stayed in Stillwater. But it doesn’t take a Wall Street ace to figure out the finances weren’t going to be sweet enough for his liking.

This is a kick in the gut for the Cowboys

Forget the money and Chicago basketball talent – more on that in a bit – and consider some images...

Underwood’s heartfelt, impassioned thank you speech to his players in the locker room following Friday’s NCAA loss to Michigan...

Underwood’s firing pistols with his hand at the end of another speech to a gathering at OSU’s Selection Sunday watch party before the team left for Indianapolis...

Underwood’s praising his players for having the fortitude to bounce off the floor from an 0-6 big 12 Conference start, and praising fans for making Gallagher-Iba Arena matter again...

Underwood’s identifying himself as “an OSU guy” who seemed fully appreciative of the likes of Henry Iba when he was introduced as Ford’s successor 362 days ago.

Here is a proud program that was due to live up to its standards, and due to feel good about itself again. Underwood helped deliver those goods in one season universally considered a success.

Poof. He’s gone.

How will players react? Will Jawun Evans be impacted? How do administrators feel? What should fans make of a move that, to them, feels like a cold slap in the face? Are they gonna be so willing to buy tickets next season?

This is a reminder that it’s all about your perspective

The last time I can remember thinking about Illinois basketball, Bruce Weber was winning with Bill Self’s players. That was, what, 13 years ago? The last time the Illini had a season with a single-digit loss total was 2005-06.

So while this isn’t Underwood bolting OSU for Illinois State, it doesn’t make much surface sense. But look beneath.

Oklahoma and Texas high school players have been awfully kind to OSU, but wouldn’t you rather recruit basketball talent from Chicago to Bloomington?

And, back to square one, wouldn’t you rather work for an administration that values your what you feel is your worth?

I had never heard of Josh Whitman before an hour ago. Now I know him as a shrewd athletic director who identified one heck of a coach, and paid him enough money for him to do for Illinois what he did for OSU.

Guerin Emig

PostPosted: Sat Mar 18, 2017 5:51 pm 

pizza_Place: Vito and Nick's
newper wrote:
It's tough to judge based on a guy who went 9-9 in his conference and was only there for one year. It may have been a bird in the hand situation where they had talked earlier and wanted to get him signed before some other southern state had an opening. Hopefully he picked up a thing or two from Huggins.

Huggins looked like a genius today....

PostPosted: Sat Mar 18, 2017 5:57 pm 

I hope Huggins taught him how to cheat.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 18, 2017 6:03 pm 

Dr. Kenneth Noisewater wrote:

I hope Underwood knows to roll down the car window before vomiting.

<º)))><

PostPosted: Sat Mar 18, 2017 6:10 pm 

pizza_Place: A few...

Now you're talking. Time to Mike White this basketball program.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 18, 2017 6:12 pm 

pizza_Place: Vito and Nick's

Oklahoma State is a bastion of athletic honesty! (I'm actually an OSU fan, since they live in the shadow of OU. And I realize that he was only there for a year, but damn....OSU is not a straight shooter.)

PostPosted: Sat Mar 18, 2017 6:21 pm 

pizza_Place: Oh I'm sorry but, there's no one on the line
formerlyknownas wrote:

Oklahoma State is a bastion of athletic honesty! (I'm actually an OSU fan, since they live in the shadow of OU. And I realize that he was only there for a year, but damn....OSU is not a straight shooter.)

All of that T. Boone Pickens money has to go somewhere. :)

PostPosted: Sat Mar 18, 2017 7:24 pm 

pizza_Place: Q's Hillside
He was an assistant at Western Illinois for about a decade, at least that's what the talking head on the radio said.

He needs his Jimmy Collins, somebody who knows the Chicagoland AAU landscape.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 18, 2017 7:57 pm 

pizza_Place: Amato's
RFDC wrote:
DannyB wrote:
He's already better than Groce if he can recruit at all, and definitely more fun to watch.

There is no way you can make this statement yet. He had one year at Ok State. Groce did better in his first year at Illinois than that and made it deeper in the tournament

This was an awful quick hire. Did they even reach out to guys like Marshall and Miller? Or after Keatts was gone did they jump to get someone before getting left with someone even worse?

He appears to have no recruiting experience in the midwest much less the Chicago area.

The fact that he left Ok State after just one year is a concern as well.

A guy who was an assistant at WIU for 10 years doesn't know Chicago recruiting? Not saying he was going after the top guys, but still...

One good thing you can say about him viz a viz Groce, is that Underwood changed his team's defensive approach after starting 0-6 in conference this year and then went 9-3 after that. Johnny never changed squat.

Nonetheless, agree that he is a surprise hire given the $ that were being bandied about as being available. However, the national guys appear to like it. Sure Bernstein will crap on it.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 18, 2017 7:59 pm 

Chet Coppock's Fur Coat wrote:
He was an assistant at Western Illinois for about a decade, at least that's what the talking head on the radio said.

He needs his Jimmy Collins, somebody who knows the Chicagoland AAU landscape.

And a Lexus, with a suitcase of cash in the trunk, and the directions to the house of the best high school player on the south side.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 18, 2017 8:00 pm 

Peter Puck wrote:
A guy who was an assistant at WIU for 10 years doesn't know Chicago recruiting? Not saying he was going after the top guys, but still...

You answered your own question. Being an assistant at WIU is on the outside looking in of the real chicago recruiting.

Frank Coztansa wrote:

PostPosted: Sat Mar 18, 2017 8:29 pm 

pizza_Place: Amato's
RFDC wrote:
Peter Puck wrote:

You answered your own question. Being an assistant at WIU is on the outside looking in of the real chicago recruiting.

Except the Mac Irvin Fire knows who he is.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 18, 2017 8:32 pm 

Love child of Mike Nort and fat Jim Morrison.

<º)))><

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 577 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 20  Next