It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:18 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 577 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 20  Next
 Post subject: Re: Fire Brad Underwood
PostPosted: Sat Mar 18, 2017 10:51 pm 

This is almost a laughable hire, really. I'm almost feeling bad for Illini fans at this point. Was this their 8th choice?
I don't do college fan boards. I'm assuming the opinions on this are not favorable.

The upside to this hire is.....very minimal. What exactly is the upside?
Best case scenario: he leaves in two years because he thinks he's moving up?

PostPosted: Sat Mar 18, 2017 11:02 pm 

Location: Bohemian Club Annual World Power Consolidation Conference & Golf Outing
pizza_Place: World Fluoridation Conspiracy Pizza & WINGS!
spanky wrote:
This is almost a laughable hire, really. I'm almost feeling bad for Illini fans at this point. Was this their 8th choice?
I don't do college fan boards. I'm assuming the opinions on this are not favorable.

I'd feel bad if this was posted by a regular.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 18, 2017 11:13 pm 

spanky wrote:

Underwood has been really good wherever he has gone. Illinois is a tourney team next year.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 18, 2017 11:19 pm 

pizza_Place: Home Run Inn
I wonder which incoming players recruited by Groce still attend and who Underwood can bring in for next year

PostPosted: Sat Mar 18, 2017 11:32 pm 

Location: Pearl Harbor, Waukesha, and other things that make no sense
pizza_Place: Lou Malnati's
Chus wrote:
Like I said the other day, he's got a little Mike Nort in him.

I see North, Thibs, and Winston Churchill.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 18, 2017 11:35 pm 

Curious Hair wrote:
Chus wrote:
Like I said the other day, he's got a little Mike Nort in him.

I see North, Thibs, and Winston Churchill.

Hugo from Bob's Burgers

PostPosted: Sat Mar 18, 2017 11:36 pm 

pizza_Place: Vito and Nick's
spanky wrote:

Illini fans seem to like it. OSU fans are angry.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 18, 2017 11:43 pm 

FrankDrebin wrote:
I wonder which incoming players recruited by Groce still attend and who Underwood can bring in for next year

https://twitter.com/_trentfrazier1?lang=en

PostPosted: Sun Mar 19, 2017 12:15 am 

Boilermaker Rick wrote:
Underwood has been really good wherever he has gone.

9-9 in his single year in the inferior B12 is "really good"?

Where else has "he gone" other than SFA?

PostPosted: Sun Mar 19, 2017 12:17 am 

spanky wrote:
Boilermaker Rick wrote:

That was a big improvement. Illinois is a tourney team next year.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 19, 2017 12:18 am 

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/how-brad-u ... 27347.html

On a Wednesday night in mid-January, inside the spacious locker room at Gallagher-Iba Arena, Brad Underwood came to his first major realization as Oklahoma State head coach. He came to it after what might have been the Cowboys’ best offensive half of the season, a 54-point eruption against Kansas State. But it was a realization that, a little more than two months into his first season in charge in Stillwater, Underwood and his team had to change.

It’s probably not the moment most would pinpoint as the inflection point of Oklahoma State’s season. The Cowboys had shot 9-of-14 from 3 and 13-for-13 from the free-throw line en route to a halftime lead. But that lead was only three. Underwood knew it should have been double-digits.

And while he didn’t know what was to come in the second half, he probably could have guessed. His team had played five previous conference games. They’d held second-half leads in four. They’d scored at least 75 points in four. They’d won zero.

Sure enough, Underwood’s search for a first Big 12 win wouldn’t end that evening. Oklahoma State gave up a crippling 96 points and slumped to its sixth straight loss. Underwood’s search for sleep that night proved similarly fruitless.

But three weeks later, the search for the hottest team in college basketball’s toughest conference doesn’t end on the prairies of Kansas, nor in the heart of Texas, nor in the mountains of West Virginia. It ends right there in northern Oklahoma, just east of I-35 between Oklahoma City and Kansas. It ends in Stillwater, and at Gallagher-Iba, where No. 6 Baylor will take the court Wednesday night as an underdog against the surging Oklahoma State Cowboys.

It ends here, in the city through which Underwood cruised on that night three weeks ago, because as he swept through the darkness, and after he arrived back at his home, he was deep in thought. He hadn’t won a game since Christmas, so he had no other choice.

“You sit there,” he recalled Monday in a phone interview, “and you soul-search a bit.”

Sitting there, Underwood considered his dilemma. He had talent. That talent had meshed into one of the nation’s best offensive units. But it hadn’t yet coalesced on the defensive end. The Pokes sat at the bottom of the conference in defensive efficiency, and thus at the bottom of the standings at 0-6.

So Underwood considered change. He phoned his assistants to discuss. What was necessary? What was plausible? What was implementable?

Underwood was wary of the perils of a mid-season overhaul. Drastic revisions of scheme and philosophy could exacerbate problems. Plus, he points out, “You’re trying to manage your first year and give your players the confidence that they need in you.”

But Underwood was also aware of the positive season-altering effects such revisions can have. That’s because he had seen them with his own two eyes.

He first saw them 10 years ago at Kansas State as an assistant under Bob Huggins. Midway through Huggins’ lone season in Manhattan, the head coach scrapped the Wildcats’ offense in favor of a small-ball look that led Kansas State on a seven-game winning streak, and to a 10-6 Big 12 record.

Four years later, with Frank Martin now at the helm, Underwood, still an assistant in Manhattan, sat down with Martin after a 1-4 start to Big 12 play. Martin’s offense wasn’t working. He recalled Huggins’ offensive renovation in 2007, and the two decided to install a spread attack in place of their post-oriented offense. Their Wildcats subsequently rattled off eight wins in nine games in February and March.

Underwood is best known for his three seasons and two NCAA tournament upsets as the head man at Stephen F. Austin, but he brought decades of experience with him to Stillwater. He led two community college programs, spent 11 years as an assistant at Western Illinois, and learned under Huggins and Martin at Kansas State and South Carolina. He drew on that experience, and especially the two major Kansas State adjustments, in the wee hours of the morning after a sixth consecutive defeat three weeks ago.

“I learned a lot from that,” Underwood says. “So I had some confidence it could be done.”

The big difference this time around was that the antidote for Oklahoma State’s ailments wasn’t a spread offense or a lineup rearrangement. It was, however, a deviation from what Underwood had had success with in the past.

“You kind of have to get out of your own way,” he says. “It was about helping this team become the best it can be. And that’s my obligation.”

Over the last three seasons at Stephen F. Austin, his pressure defenses had forced turnovers at a higher rate than any other program in Division I. He brought a similar style with him to his first power conference head-coaching gig, and implemented it from the jump. Initially, it had worked; the Cowboys were speeding opponents up. They pestered UConn into 18 turnovers and Georgetown into a whopping 28 in fast-paced victories.

But once conference foes started coming to town, the success ebbed. Oklahoma State averaged just 11.3 takeaways through its first six conference games. “We weren’t turning people over like we did in the non-league,” Underwood says. “You eliminate that, and you’ve got some issues.”

Those numbers, along with others, kept Underwood up at night. “I don’t get consumed with analytics,” he says. “I like knowing the numbers though… And the numbers don’t lie.” He looked at defensive rebounding percentage and opponent free throw rate as areas of concern. He also saw that despite the lack of forced turnovers, OSU’s average defensive possession length was still short, and opponents were still getting a large share of their shots in the paint.

So he made changes. He “put pencil onto paper.” He committed.

Underwood and his staff decided that the answer was to dial back the pressure, pull back the point of confrontation to just above the 3-point arc, and reign in the ball-denial aggressiveness. They’d also continue to mix in some zone. This wasn’t an overhaul; it was a slight tweak, and one to which the players bought in when it was presented to them the following day.

The next two days of practice didn’t involve much prep for Texas Tech, their next opponent. “It was more about us,” Underwood says. “And we were kind of off and running with that concept.”

The Cowboys stomped Tech on the road, then came back home to beat TCU and Arkansas by double-digits. They stunned Oklahoma with a steal and a Phil Forte 3-pointer in the final minute in Norman to get a fourth straight win, then knocked off No. 7 West Virginia in Morgantown.

The streak has featured five of the team’s six slowest games of the year, and after allowing 1.19 points per possession in its first six Big 12 contests, OSU has held opponents to just 1.06 during the winning run. Star point guard Jawun Evans says that the new principles have aided the team’s help-side defense

The offense, meanwhile, has climbed to No. 2 in adjusted efficiency. Evans, a sophomore, has cemented himself as one of the top dual-threat point guards in the nation. Finally, the points are translating to wins, and the Cowboys are in position to become the first team since 1985 to begin conference play 0-6 and receive an at large bid to the NCAA tournament.

“We were doing things by the numbers, from an analytical standpoint, very well,” Underwood says of the six-game losing run. “We just weren’t winning. The players knew we were close. They knew we walked into Allen Fieldhouse and had a great chance to win. It’s just about giving them that little shot of confidence, and that change did that.”

PostPosted: Sun Mar 19, 2017 12:19 am 

Boilermaker Rick wrote:
spanky wrote:
Boilermaker Rick wrote:

That was a big improvement. Illinois is a tourney team next year.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 19, 2017 12:23 am 

Two years. One way or another.

Either way, this is NOT what this program needs.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 19, 2017 12:29 am 

Only because I really, really miss the non-stop semantic argument:

Let the record show, he's only "gone to" one place as head coach.
9-9.
"Really good".

Deuces.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 19, 2017 12:31 am 

:lol: who knew it would take a new Illini bball coach to bring spanky out of hiding

Frank Coztansa wrote:
I have MANY years of experience in trying to appreciate steaming piles of dogshit.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 19, 2017 12:58 am 

pizza_Place: Lou Malnatis
spanky wrote:

9-9.
"Really good".

Deuces.

Huh? He did go to SFA.

To rock my soul

PostPosted: Sun Mar 19, 2017 1:01 am 

pizza_Place: Frozen
Chus wrote:
Love child of Mike Nort and fat Jim Morrison.

Nick Nolte in Blue Chips

PostPosted: Sun Mar 19, 2017 1:10 am 

Location: Pearl Harbor, Waukesha, and other things that make no sense
pizza_Place: Lou Malnati's
Chus wrote:

Riders on the Stormfront

PostPosted: Sun Mar 19, 2017 7:23 am 

This looks like a good hire. Didn't want them to grab another mid major guy who everyone believes is ready for a big time job. Even though he was only at OK State for one year he proved that he can coach in a power 5 conf.

It's a little rough because one of my guys is going out the door with Groce but at the end of the day they didn't deliver. He knew what it was when he came in 5 years ago and pretty much said as much to me.

I don't know if he is much of a recruiter though. The whole has to recruit Chicago thing is a little overblown too. Public league isn't putting out top level talent anymore. There aren't any current pro prospects to be found at any level in the Public keague. There isn't even a top 100 kid in the senior class from the Public League.

I think the dude can coach from everything that I've read an I think his style of play will lure kids too.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 19, 2017 8:12 am 

Location: Bohemian Club Annual World Power Consolidation Conference & Golf Outing
pizza_Place: World Fluoridation Conspiracy Pizza & WINGS!
lipidquadcab wrote:
Chus wrote:

Nick Nolte in Blue Chips

I'll buy Jeremiah Tilmon a tractor.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 19, 2017 9:13 am 

pizza_Place: nick n vito's
I like the hire, he's an upgrade over Grocery. That's what they needed at this point in time, an upgrade over the current regime...now they gotta launch Lovie after this is year.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 19, 2017 9:17 am 

spanky wrote:

9-9.
"Really good".

Deuces.

9-9 was a big improvement. He also coached at two places.

You need to work on your semantics.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 19, 2017 10:59 am 

long time guy wrote:
This looks like a good hire. Didn't want them to grab another mid major guy who everyone believes is ready for a big time job. Even though he was only at OK State for one year he proved that he can coach in a power 5 conf.

You could have said same thing about Groce if he bolted U of I after one season.

I do agree on the CPL. I watched Simeon play 3/4 times this year and while they are loaded with college level players, the only one I thought might make a difference at the Power 5 level was Talen Horton-Tucker.

Yes it is.

CDOM wrote:
When this is all over, which is not going to be for a while, Trump will be re-elected President.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 19, 2017 11:09 am 

pizza_Place: Chuck E Cheese
Not a bad hire for a mid level big 10 team

PostPosted: Sun Mar 19, 2017 11:59 am 

pizza_Place: Il Forno in Deerfield!
DannyB wrote:
Weird hire but he did an unbelievable job with a pretty shitty roster this year. Destroyed Wichita St in Wichita. Almost beat Maryland on the road. Started 0-6 in a deep conference but finished 9-3. Beat Huggy Bear at West Va. He's already better than Groce if he can recruit at all, and definitely more fun to watch.

Have to look at that with a grain of salt since he was lucky to have one of the best scoring PGs in the country in Juwan Evans. Guy like that would make a lot of coaches look good. Lets see what he does at Illinois without an elite floor general.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 19, 2017 12:45 pm 

pizza_Place: any from anywhere
I feel a minority hiring was needed.

Should have hired a Samoan.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 19, 2017 6:29 pm 

pizza_Place: John's
312player wrote:
I like the hire, he's an upgrade over Grocery. That's what they needed at this point in time, an upgrade over the current regime...now they gotta launch Lovie after this is year.

Give Lovie some time, he just finished his 1st quarter (season). There are still three more quarters to be played.

Last edited by Caller Bob on Sun Mar 19, 2017 6:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 19, 2017 6:50 pm 

pizza_Place: Jimmy's Place
Elmer of glue fame.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2017 8:19 am 

pizza_Place: John's
He's on Mully/Hanley now. He certainly talks a good game

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2017 8:25 am 
1000 CLUB

pizza_Place: Zaffiro's
Good hire.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 577 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 20  Next