It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 12:37 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 578 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15 ... 20  Next
 Post subject: Re: Fire Brad Underwood
PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2018 3:48 pm 

tommy wrote:
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
tommy wrote:
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
Big Chicagoan wrote:
Mark Smith to transfer. Rumors are several more are going to be following.

Not a good look when your best recruit up and leaves after one season.

No surprise. The writing was on the wall with that one.

He pretty much did nothing. Couldn't shoot, couldn't pass. And it's not like he was playing five minutes a game, either.

Yeah, I'm not sad to see him leave as an individual. But as Big Chicagoan's post suggests, it's not good for a program to have top recruits bailing after a year.

True, but I guess Underwood is gonna bring in his own guys. (I am assuming he didn't recruit Smith?)

No he recruited him. Initially it was Groce that recruited him and offerred but the kid didn't sign until Underwood became coach. Underwood personally visited him at his home and sealed the deal.

Mark Smith came out of nowhere last season. He Cracked the top 60 and a number of big programs began offerring him. Don't know what type of competition he faced overall but I do remember that he did virtually nothing against Simeon when they played in the state playoffs. That was a bit of a red flag but it could have simply been one game.

He played a lot for the Illini but didn't really do too much. Rumors have been out there for awhile.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2018 4:15 pm 

pizza_Place: Vito and Nick's
long time guy wrote:
tommy wrote:
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
tommy wrote:
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
Big Chicagoan wrote:
Mark Smith to transfer. Rumors are several more are going to be following.

Not a good look when your best recruit up and leaves after one season.

No surprise. The writing was on the wall with that one.

He pretty much did nothing. Couldn't shoot, couldn't pass. And it's not like he was playing five minutes a game, either.

Yeah, I'm not sad to see him leave as an individual. But as Big Chicagoan's post suggests, it's not good for a program to have top recruits bailing after a year.

True, but I guess Underwood is gonna bring in his own guys. (I am assuming he didn't recruit Smith?)

No he recruited him. Initially it was Groce that recruited him and offerred but the kid didn't sign until Underwood became coach. Underwood personally visited him at his home and sealed the deal.

Uh-oh.

Please don't mention Groce again.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2018 8:48 pm 

So far Groce was a better coach for the Illini than Underwood

Frank Coztansa wrote:
I have MANY years of experience in trying to appreciate steaming piles of dogshit.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2018 9:42 am 

I was listening to the Illini coaches show on the Score (yes, I know) yesterday and Underwood said that they knew going into the season they would be playing short because of scholarships they held back. I have no idea what the recruiting class this year looks like but if this is his low point, he will have had a good career.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2018 10:02 am 

RFDC wrote:

So far--but Groce turned the program into a shitty mid-major. Underwood will have them back once he gets rolling.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2018 10:33 am 

tommy wrote:
RFDC wrote:

So far--but Groce turned the program into a shitty mid-major. Underwood will have them back once he gets rolling.

:lol: gotcha

Frank Coztansa wrote:
I have MANY years of experience in trying to appreciate steaming piles of dogshit.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2018 1:14 pm 

Holy crap I just put this together. Mark Smith was a pitcher in HS. He was committed to Missouri then got hurt. I saw him in a tournament his junior year and remember wondering what ever happened to him. Big frame decent arm action. He was 85-88 and couldn't throw a strike to save his life. Might have to find out if he wants to climb back on the mound.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2018 1:21 pm 

pizza_Place: Angelo's Pizza in Downers Grove
Keyser Soze wrote:
Holy crap I just put this together. Mark Smith was a pitcher in HS. He was committed to Missouri then got hurt. I saw him in a tournament his junior year and remember wondering what ever happened to him. Big frame decent arm action. He was 85-88 and couldn't throw a strike to save his life. Might have to find out if he wants to climb back on the mound.

Can't play baseball anymore - messed up his elbow bad. That's why he is playing basketball.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2018 1:30 pm 

good dolphin wrote:
I was listening to the Illini coaches show on the Score (yes, I know) yesterday and Underwood said that they knew going into the season they would be playing short because of scholarships they held back. I have no idea what the recruiting class this year looks like but if this is his low point, he will have had a good career.

From the little that I know about him he seems to think big. That is why he hired Antigua as his top guy. Chin also. Chin delivered Ayo for him. Antigua is going to work the national recruiting seen and Chin will handle the local stuff. The other guy will handle mostly the Midwest.

It appears that Underwood is only going for guys that can play at a Big Ten Level. Groce signed a number of guys (particularly local guys) that simply couldn't play at the Big Ten level.

I think the problem for Underwood may be this whole Fed case. You aren't securing blue chippers without "running the bag" They may be gun shy on doing that given recent developments.

Last edited by long time guy on Tue Mar 06, 2018 4:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2018 1:47 pm 

The handling of the Ayo situation also could have the current players concerned. You let a high school kid and his handlers dictate the future of your program and others see what is going to happen in the next few years.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2018 1:59 pm 

It was sort of a pick your poison thing and they decided to side with the Irvins and Cut bait (least for now) with Simeon. Groce was in Robert Smith's pocket and as such was forced to take kids that should have never played for Illinois. Simeon pipeline to Illinois has mostly provided junk for the program.

If you look at the guys that Simeon has delivered for Illinois the only guy that turned out to be a stud was Nick Anderson and that was over 30 years ago. Notree was highly rated and guys like Turner, Small, Simpson, Tate, and D.J. Williams were reaches. Smith didn't control the Rose and Parker situations. Going back 20 years Simmons went to Depaul.

Crazy thing is that THT now appears to be the better player. They wanted that pipeline to the Fire AAU program and that is where Chin comes in. Chin is directly tied to the Fire. He used to coach with them and he goes back to high school with Mike Irvin and McGlother Irvin. He will have no problem gaining access as he is practically family.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2018 4:31 pm 

long time guy wrote:
It was sort of a pick your poison thing and they decided to side with the Irvins and Cut bait (least for now) with Simeon. Groce was in Robert Smith's pocket and as such was forced to take kids that should have never played for Illinois. Simeon pipeline to Illinois has mostly provided junk for the program.

If you look at the guys that Simeon has delivered for Illinois the only guy that turned out to be a stud was Nick Anderson and that was over 30 years ago. Notree was highly rated and guys like Turner, Small, Simpson, Tate, and D.J. Williams were reaches. Smith didn't control the Rose and Parker situations. Going back 20 years Simmons went to Depaul.

Crazy thing is that THT now appears to be the better player. They wanted that pipeline to the Fire AAU program and that is where Chin comes in. Chin is directly tied to the Fire. He used to coach with them and he goes back to high school with Mike Irvin and McGlother Irvin. He will have no problem gaining access as he is practically family.

Well....they would have had Benji. But now that you list that out....that's true.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2018 12:21 pm 

Leron Black gone.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2018 12:26 pm 
Site Admin

pizza_Place: Aurelio's
Boilermaker Rick wrote:
Leron Black gone.

Are they gonna have enough guys to practice next season? Things are looking good for walk-on Dr. Ken Jr.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2018 12:29 pm 

pizza_Place: Kaisers
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
Boilermaker Rick wrote:
Leron Black gone.

Are they gonna have enough guys to practice next season? Things are looking good for walk-on Dr. Ken Jr.

:lol:

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2018 7:27 pm 

pizza_Place: Angelo's Pizza in Downers Grove
Another transfer. No one left to play.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2018 11:00 pm 

Big Chicagoan wrote:
Another transfer. No one left to play.

The players sure have been classy (publicly) about their departures. Underwood seems to have run them off campus. I want the team to be good, but this is getting out of hand.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2018 11:09 pm 

RFDC wrote:
I think the Illini make the Sweet 16 next year, and the Phinal Fore the year after. Underwood iz da goodz. Sometimes I call him Undergoodz. Or Wonderwood. (I heart that song "Wonderwall" btw.) To wrap up this post, let me just say that we wish had him here in the dreary old SEC. TTFN.

Totes agree

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2018 11:11 pm 

tommy wrote:
Underwood will have them back once he gets rolling.

:lol: :lol: :lol: Definitely rolling

Frank Coztansa wrote:

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2018 11:15 pm 

RFDC wrote:
tommy wrote:
Underwood will have them back once he gets rolling.

:lol: :lol: :lol: Definitely rolling

I was hacked

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2018 8:23 am 

Illini hosting Georgetown tonight in Champaign. Game on FS1 around 7:30. I haven't followed much of the offseason and only
recognize a few players from last years team on the roster. I think that may be a really good thing. I am sure Underwood is a real
asshole to play for but so what. I also want to see the young Williams kid come off the bench.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2018 8:32 am 

T-Bone wrote:
Illini hosting Georgetown tonight in Champaign. Game on FS1 around 7:30. I haven't followed much of the offseason and only
recognize a few players from last years team on the roster. I think that may be a really good thing. I am sure Underwood is a real
asshole to play for but so what.
I also want to see the young Williams kid come off the bench.

I think he is; he chased everyone on the team away. However, he's got some good recruits. Ayo looks good.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2018 8:35 am 

tommy wrote:
T-Bone wrote:
asshole to play for but so what.
I also want to see the young Williams kid come off the bench.

I think he is; he chased everyone on the team away. However, he's got some good recruits. Ayo looks good.

If your players don't like you it doesn't mean he is doing it wrong. Just needs to be some respect there and if he can get his system to work
and start winning against some better competition I think that will come. I know Georgetown isn't what they were but at least they should be
some decent competition and I'll enjoy watching this new group go to work.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2018 8:57 am 

pizza_Place: John's
I honestly feel the world is a better place when U of I Athletics struggle. Who's with me on this?

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2018 9:06 am 

Location: Bohemian Club Annual World Power Consolidation Conference & Golf Outing
pizza_Place: World Fluoridation Conspiracy Pizza & WINGS!
Caller Bob wrote:
I honestly feel the world is a better place when U of I Athletics struggle. Who's with me on this?

You've been livin' in a real nice world lately, Bob.

Your world is about to end.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2018 9:09 am 

pizza_Place: A few...
Dr. Kenneth Noisewater wrote:
Caller Bob wrote:

Harry Callahan wrote:
I like your style, Doc.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2018 9:33 am 

Caller Bob wrote:

Men's Golf and Women's Volleyball are strong this year.... :wink:

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2018 10:07 am 

Dr. Kenneth Noisewater wrote:
Caller Bob wrote:

:lol: :lol:

Frank Coztansa wrote:

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2018 5:31 pm 

pizza_Place: Amato's
Trent Frazier allegedly out tonight with a concussion. Caller Bob may be happy for another day.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2018 8:14 pm 

T-Bone wrote:
Caller Bob wrote:

Men's Golf and Women's Volleyball are strong this year.... :wink:

and they just approved an $8M indoor baseball training center! Woo-Hoo!!!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 578 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15 ... 20  Next