It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:41 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 577 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 20  Next
 Post subject: Re: Fire Brad Underwood
PostPosted: Sat Apr 08, 2017 3:23 pm 

Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
long time guy wrote:
Cool. I was hoping that he'd free up the scholarship. Mid major talent at best from the people I've talked to. He wouldn't have cut it as a player there

I don't want this to sound like sour grapes because I personally have no idea, but from what I've read this last season took a lot of the shine off Tilmon too. It's possible he's not going to find the same interest that he garnered during his original recruitment and might end up in Champaign anyway.

I agree with this. Didn't want to loop him in because he is still a top 50 kid but he isn't the program changer he was billed to be 4 years ago. He was top 10 as a freshman and his stock has dropped every season. 41 on ESPN list currently.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 09, 2017 11:09 am 

pizza_Place: Lou Malnati's
He looks like a solid rim protector, but does not have much of an offensive game. His work ethic is under question because he left La Lumiere, which is supposed to be a basketball factory grooming him for the next level. If he's on a team that has a lot of scoring, where he is not expected to be a part of the offense it would help him to develop further.

He's not a program changer. If him flipping is the price for firing Groce, it's worth it. Funny part was that they kept Jamal Walker in large part because he was supposedly going to land Tilmon and Mark Smith. Wonder if Underwood regrets that.

The Missing Link wrote:
For instance they were never taught that Columbus was a slave owner.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 11, 2017 5:13 pm 

Not good:

Quote:
HOOPS REPORT: As of Sunday, April 9 the four biggest, most talent-filled high school programs in the state and their coaches –– Simeon, Young, Curie and Morgan Park –– had not heard from the new Illinois head coach.

http://www.suntimeshighschoolsports.com ... l-mailbag/

The Missing Link wrote:

PostPosted: Tue Apr 11, 2017 5:20 pm 

WaitingforRuffcorn wrote:
Not good:

Quote:
HOOPS REPORT: As of Sunday, April 9 the four biggest, most talent-filled high school programs in the state and their coaches –– Simeon, Young, Curie and Morgan Park –– had not heard from the new Illinois head coach.

Poor delicate coaches.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 11, 2017 5:26 pm 

Boilermaker Rick wrote:
Not good:

Quote:

Poor delicate coaches.

It seems like something he should do to avoid the negative press and them bitching at the very least.

The Missing Link wrote:

PostPosted: Tue Apr 11, 2017 5:32 pm 

pizza_Place: giordanos
I would guess he is worried about the present class and not the next one right now.

-Ronald Reagan

PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2017 11:08 am 

Not good:

Quote:

I think this is a good move by Underwood. It's time for Illinois to move away from the Public League and it's prima donna ass coaches. There isn't top end talent in the Public League these days. The talent that does come out hasn't considered Illinois so let them roll.

I like the Antigua move. Just the kind of oily that you need to play big boy ball.

If they give Chin the gig as a way to maintain public league ties then cool but if they don't so be it. Chin is a solid recruiter and he is connected to everyone in the game locally so that would be solid move but not a requirement. I do have it on good authority that the Irvins wanted him to get the job when Groce was hired but Groce went with Parham.

Last edited by long time guy on Wed Apr 12, 2017 11:13 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2017 11:11 am 

long time guy wrote:
Not good:

Quote:

I think this is a good move by Underwood. It's time for Illinois to move away from the Public League and it's prima donna ass coaches. There isn't top end talent in the Public League these days. The talent that does come out hasn't considered Illinois so let them roll.

I like the Antigua move. Just the kind of oily that you need to play big boy ball.

If they give Chin the gig as a way to maintain public league ties then cool but if they don't so be it. Chin is a solid recruiter and he is connected to everyone in the game locally so that would be solid move but not a requirement. I do have it on good authority that the Irvins wanted him to get the job when Grove was hired but Groce went with Parham.
Didn't I pretty much say exactly that before and you argued?

PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2017 11:14 am 

Boilermaker Rick wrote:
long time guy wrote:
Not good:

Quote:

If they give Chin the gig as a way to maintain public league ties then cool but if they don't so be it. Chin is a solid recruiter and he is connected to everyone in the game locally so that would be solid move but not a requirement. I do have it on good authority that the Irvins wanted him to get the job when Grove was hired but Groce went with Parham.
Didn't I pretty much say exactly that before and you argued?

Yeah you did but at the time the Public League was putting out top 5 guys consistently. There isn't much in the pipeline now.

You ignore them until they start putting out a better product. I told Paris to leave the Simeon guys alone when he signed them. If you don't sign Parker then the rest are untouchable. Simeon has primarily produced mid major players masquerading as high majors. You didn't have to dance with Robert Smith in order to sign Jabari because everyone knew that his father Sonny and mother were handling his recruiting.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2017 1:16 pm 
Site Admin

pizza_Place: Aurelio's
long time guy wrote:
You didn't have to dance with Robert Smith in order to sign Jabari because everyone knew that his father Sonny and mother were handling his recruiting.

Isn't that the case generally in this era where everyone plays AAU? The power of the high school coach has been greatly diminished. I guess there is still some prestige to the high school season but I could certainly see a time where guys don't even play for their high school team and just stay with the clubs like a lot of top players do in soccer and volleyball right now.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2017 1:36 pm 

Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
long time guy wrote:
You didn't have to dance with Robert Smith in order to sign Jabari because everyone knew that his father Sonny and mother were handling his recruiting.

Isn't that the case generally in this era where everyone plays AAU? The power of the high school coach has been greatly diminished. I guess there is still some prestige to the high school season but I could certainly see a time where guys don't even play for their high school team and just stay with the clubs like a lot of top players do in soccer and volleyball right now.

Yep. Navigating the AAU waters is the toughest thing for high school coaches today. Coupled with increased involvement from parents and it can be hell. AAU culture is different too. Kids switch teams week to week. I think it is one of the main reasons that there are so many college transfers these days. Kid doesn't like a situation he will simply leave. That is the residual effect of AAU basketball.

In terms of parents it is hell dealing with them too. AAU basketball doesn't exist without financial backing. If parents don't pay then teams cannot travel. Some teams have sponsors but that is at the upper levels. Most teams need parents that will pay the money.

The parents are willing because as with any investment they think there is a payoff i.e. college scholarship down the line. With their investment comes influence. They are allowed to negotiate playing time and dictate when and if their kid will play and also whom their kid will play with.

Once the high school season starts the same tactics are used on the high school coach. There are some strong coaches that simply won't play the game but most will however. It is a vexxing situation.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2017 4:04 pm 

pizza_Place: Angelo's Pizza in Downers Grove
Chin Coleman hired as last assistant.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2017 4:59 pm 

Big Chicagoan wrote:
Chin Coleman hired as last assistant.

Damn good hire. This dude Underwood knows what the fuck he is doing. As a third assistant at a big time program you couldn't do much better. He has cred in the city and is like family with the Irvins. At the same time Underwood is demonstrating that he doesn't have to kiss the ass of City coaches to get players. That is where Antigua and even Walker come in.

Chin can walk into any gym in this city and talk basketball with any coach. Has instant credibility.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2017 11:50 pm 

Landed Mark Smith. Big signing for BU.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2017 12:02 am 

Location: Bohemian Club Annual World Power Consolidation Conference & Golf Outing
pizza_Place: World Fluoridation Conspiracy Pizza & WINGS!
Big Chicagoan wrote:

FUCK YEAH IT WAS!!

He will change his mind in a month or two.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2017 7:00 am 

Dr. Kenneth Noisewater wrote:
Big Chicagoan wrote:

FUCK YEAH IT WAS!!

:lol:

Frank Coztansa wrote:
I have MANY years of experience in trying to appreciate steaming piles of dogshit.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2017 8:51 am 

Dr. Kenneth Noisewater wrote:
Big Chicagoan wrote:

FUCK YEAH IT WAS!!

Isn't he a better get, especially for Underwood's system, than either of the two guys they lost?

What is the status with Tillman? Did he sign elsewhere or is he still considering the Illini?

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2017 10:22 am 

Location: Bohemian Club Annual World Power Consolidation Conference & Golf Outing
It would seem. But I don't count a signing anymore until they graduate and Nick Offerman gives them a speech.

I haven't heard anything about Tilmon - but he's going to Missouri.

He may not suit the system but it's always nice to have some really tall guys.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2017 10:30 am 

Someone should tell Tillman how many times Illinois has been ranked in the top 25 over the last 30 years

Frank Coztansa wrote:
I have MANY years of experience in trying to appreciate steaming piles of dogshit.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2017 10:45 am 

RFDC wrote:
Someone should tell Tillman how many times Illinois has been ranked in the top 25 over the last 30 years

That seems like a pro-Illini statement.

Am I reading it wrong?

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2017 10:57 am 

Guess I need to do better.

Frank Coztansa wrote:

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2017 11:00 am 

Still not sure.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2017 3:26 pm 

Come on Doc, when have you known me to ever make a pro illini comment...it was a sarcastic shot at that article that was posted showing the Illini were like the 15th program in most times in the top 25 or some non sense like that

Frank Coztansa wrote:

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2017 5:23 pm 

Being consistently awesome is nonsense?

Still not sure.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2017 5:25 pm 

I'll be heading to God's Country tomorrow.

Join me at Murphy's for a burger and beer all who thirst for wisdom.

PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2017 2:15 pm 

Mark Alstork transferring to Illinois. Grad transfer so eligible immediately. 1 year eligibility. 6'-5" G. Averaged 19 PPG last year at Wright State.

In other news, rumors are Jalen Coleman-Lands will be transferring out of Illinois.

PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2017 3:42 pm 

Big Chicagoan wrote:
Mark Alstork.

PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2017 3:51 pm 

good dolphin wrote:
Big Chicagoan wrote:
Mark Alstork.

That guy was the founder of National Lampoon.

PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2017 8:30 am 

we all thought The Stork was brain damaged

PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2017 3:39 pm 

Coleman-Lands transferring confirmed.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 577 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 20  Next