It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 2:53 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 247 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 9  Next
 Post subject: We Are DePaul!
PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2018 12:19 pm 

pizza_Place: Il Forno in Deerfield!
Now that we are off to our first 3-0 start since 2009 it's time to get the bandwagon rolling once again! Might need an oil change, a new battery and probably new tires since it hasn't been out of the barn in a quite a long time.

Beat up on a Big10 team last night, Penn State. Well beat up as in blew a 10 pt lead with 3 minutes left but somehow scraped out an OT win.

Next year DePaul has a massive recruiting class coming in and now that we have a downtown arena there's actually a chance DePaul could come back to life. There's no doubt the potential is there to be an elite program nationally in terms of resources and finally facilities.

Post subject: Re: We Are DePaul!
PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2018 1:10 pm 

I'd actually forgotten that chant used to be a thing.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2018 2:08 pm 
Site Admin

pizza_Place: Aurelio's
Regular Reader wrote:

That started when Garland dropped that jumpshot to beat Notre Dame. Those were great days for DePaul hoops.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2018 12:30 pm 

pizza_Place: Obbies
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
Regular Reader wrote:

That started when Garland dropped that jumpshot to beat Notre Dame. Those were great days for DePaul hoops.

Gary Garland tickles the twine

I'm out.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2018 1:23 pm 

pizza_Place: Oh I'm sorry but, there's no one on the line
The DePaul Blue Demons will never win,
a NCAA Championship,
But there is always next year, so they say....
<sung to the tune of Suicide Is Painless aka M*A*S*H theme>

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2018 1:26 pm 

I am all for DePaul being good. Illinois/Chicago deserves to have a good team to root for in the state.

Frank Coztansa wrote:
I have MANY years of experience in trying to appreciate steaming piles of dogshit.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 31, 2019 8:14 am 

pizza_Place: Pizza Hut
Depaul is in the Finals of the CBI tournament, best of 3 vs South FLorida

PostPosted: Sun Mar 31, 2019 8:25 am 

pizza_Place: nick n vito's
Regular Reader wrote:

Stolen from marshal?

PostPosted: Sun Mar 31, 2019 1:51 pm 

pizza_Place: Salerno's
Depaul finished 7-11 in last place in the shadow of a shadow of its former glory Big East; South Florida: 8-10 was good enough for 8th out of 12 in their conference.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 31, 2019 4:32 pm 

pizza_Place: Jimmy's Place
7-11 is Champagne time for DePaul

PostPosted: Sun Mar 31, 2019 9:09 pm 

pizza_Place: Palermo's 95th
The Big East had a down year this year. This would have been a good year to go .500 in the conference and secure an NIT bid. We couldn't even do that. As an alumnus I would love to see us get back to respectability, but it looks like we're going to have to hire another coach.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2019 11:17 am 

Warren Newson wrote:
The Big East had a down year this year. This would have been a good year to go .500 in the conference and secure an NIT bid. We couldn't even do that. As an alumnus I would love to see us get back to respectability, but it looks like we're going to have to hire another coach.

This was a very positive season for DePaul, no other way to look at it. They won a lot more conference games than they have in years, doesn't matter that the conference was down, it's still a major conference.

Next year they have their best recruiting class coming in since the Quentin Richardson class.

Not a fan of the coach, but gotta give him a chance to coach the freshman next year and see what happens.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2019 8:22 pm 

pizza_Place: Palermo's 95th
shakes wrote:
Warren Newson wrote:

This was a very positive season for DePaul, no other way to look at it. They won a lot more conference games than they have in years, doesn't matter that the conference was down, it's still a major conference.

Next year they have their best recruiting class coming in since the Quentin Richardson class.

Not a fan of the coach, but gotta give him a chance to coach the freshman next year and see what happens.

There was a period of time this year where they were like 5-6 in conference, and I thought maybe, just maybe, they could hold their own in the Big East this year, but they finished 7-11. I'm not going to be satisfied with a DePaul season until they can at least go .500 in conference.

I actually was a fan of Dave Leitao in his first go round with DePaul. I thought he was the best coach we've had since someone named Meyer was coaching the team, but this was the fist year he has even come close to respectability in his second go round. That being said, talent makes everything better. Hopefully you're right about this recruiting class.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2019 8:43 pm 

pizza_Place: Salerno's
After trailing by double-digits early in the 2nd half DePaul came back and tied the game 61-61 with 12 seconds left in the game. South Florida hit a last second shot to take the W. DePaul covering the +3.5. Next/final game/2 games of the 3 game series Wed/Fri at McGrath.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2019 10:49 am 

Hussra wrote:
After trailing by double-digits early in the 2nd half DePaul came back and tied the game 61-61 with 12 seconds left in the game. South Florida hit a last second shot to take the W. DePaul covering the +3.5. Next/final game/2 games of the 3 game series Wed/Fri at McGrath.

I watched the end of that game. On the possession before USF hit the game winner, USF committed 3 blatant offensives that should've been called. First, Struss is tripped as he drives to the goal, no call. Player on USF blocks shot by putting his hand through the rim, no goaltending called. Player from USF jumps inbounds to save a ball and clearly does not establish himself before touching the ball, no call.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2019 10:56 am 
1000 CLUB

pizza_Place: Zaffiro's
So how good are these guys coming in for DePaul next year? How significant will their impact be as freshmen?

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2019 11:09 am 

Tall Midget wrote:
So how good are these guys coming in for DePaul next year? How significant will their impact be as freshmen?

Right now they have the 26th ranked class in the country. They have Romeo Weeks, a PF ranked #50 in the class and a 4star recruit. They have a 4 star PG coming in, ranked #101 nationally. They have a 3star 2G coming in, ranked 354 nationally.

They also have a former 4star coming in as a transfer, a PF from St Louis U.

Olujobi and Struss are gone, but Paul Reed returns at center. He's legit.

So no idea how they will do next year, but I would bet in a couple seasons they will be good.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2019 8:29 am 

The team is so amateurish. Watching the end of that game yesterday, they were up 6 or so points and at the line shooting free throws and they get a T on their bench. How does that happen, especially when the last call was favorable. Then they proceed to hit half their FT down the stretch to let USF back into the game.

I thought Leito was a great coach in his first go around but its almost as if he sustained some kind of brain injury at Virginia from which he has never recovered.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2019 11:29 am 

good dolphin wrote:
The team is so amateurish. Watching the end of that game yesterday, they were up 6 or so points and at the line shooting free throws and they get a T on their bench. How does that happen, especially when the last call was favorable. Then they proceed to hit half their FT down the stretch to let USF back into the game.

I thought Leito was a great coach in his first go around but its almost as if he sustained some kind of brain injury at Virginia from which he has never recovered.

yea it's a shit show on the court for the most part, but a win is a win! Hurts a lot that they don't have a PG.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2019 2:07 pm 

Moral of the story: If you're going to cheat, at least win!

the funny thing is I think they're getting dinged not because they paid anyone, but because they kept trying to pay recruits and no one would take them up on it...even when they doubled the offer of other schools.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2019 2:56 pm 

pizza_Place: Palermo's
Are these sanctions the result of ZZ's breathless, disingenuously excited play-by-play?

PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2019 3:01 pm 

pizza_Place: Jimmy's Place
Tad Queasy wrote:
Are these sanctions the result of ZZ's breathless, disingenuously excited play-by-play?

that deserves the death penalty.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2019 3:20 pm 
1000 CLUB

pizza_Place: Zaffiro's
Why does DePaul even bother having a basketball program at this point?

PostPosted: Wed Jul 24, 2019 9:54 am 

what is the probation? It sounded like just a fine and warning

The Sun Times story seems to be the infraction was helping a kid with intensive tutoring so that he can be eligible. Probation for helping a kid academically seems like a bad message

PostPosted: Wed Jul 24, 2019 9:57 am 

pizza_Place: Georgio's--Crystal Lake
good dolphin wrote:
what is the probation? It sounded like just a fine and warning

The Sun Times story seems to be the infraction was helping a kid with intensive tutoring so that he can be eligible. Probation for helping a kid academically seems like a bad message

The should have just followed the Memphis example with Derrick Rose.

Cause tried and true
I see the light in you
Oh, can you dig in my soul?
Could you smell my whole...
life?--Gener and Deaner

PostPosted: Wed Jul 24, 2019 11:49 pm 

pizza_Place: Oh I'm sorry but, there's no one on the line
I'm not revealing my sources, but this is a good story.

There's a freshman on the team Sullivan Menard from Alaska. So the team is doing all the usual off season stuff, and one of the players comes up to this guy and says "Hey, I heard you were from Alaska... do you have cities there?" And the guy is like "Yeah, we have cities... they aren't as big as Chicago, but they are cities." The other player says "How about states? Do you have states?" Menard is like "What do you mean, states?" This player says "You know, states... like Illinois or Wisconsin." Menard says, "Alaska is a state. We are part of the United States." Then this player runs to another player, "Bro!! Did you know Alaska is one of the states?!?" Keeps going to other players and was in shock that Alaska was a US state.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 11, 2019 10:54 pm 

Crushed Iowa tonight. Knew we were gonna beat them when they started 5 dopey white guys. DePaul is deep and athletic, when was the last time we could say that? And Paul Reed is a stud, best player at DePaul since Q. He's definitely a NBA player. Completely dominated tonight, 25 pts on 10/14 shooting, 10 boards, 4 steals and 2 blocks.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 11, 2019 11:01 pm 

pizza_Place: Geo's Pizza
Just too bad they are on probation for 3 years and will likely be a much worse team by then.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 12, 2019 8:34 am 

pizza_Place: Boni Vino
Zaidman’s pregame interview with Ponsetto the other day was nauseating. She kept talking about DePaul’s rich basketball “tradition” as if the team has been relevant in the last 40 years. She needs to go, but like Ted Phillips, she probably is there for life since she helped get taxpayers to pay for the new arena.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 12, 2019 9:06 am 

Crystal Lake Hoffy wrote:
Just too bad they are on probation for 3 years and will likely be a much worse team by then.

What is the penalty for the probation. Are they restricted from post season play? I have not seen a single story address this point, only stating that they are on probation.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 247 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 9  Next