It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:49 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 110 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
PostPosted: Sat Jan 27, 2018 12:12 pm 

RFDC wrote:
Brick can you ask your boys to keep it under 40 tomorrow

I think it will be close.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 27, 2018 12:15 pm 

Boilermaker Rick wrote:
RFDC wrote:
Brick can you ask your boys to keep it under 40 tomorrow

I think it will be close.

Man I don't. I would love to be wrong. But I expect your boys to run em out of the gym.

Frank Coztansa wrote:
I have MANY years of experience in trying to appreciate steaming piles of dogshit.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2018 10:48 pm 

Great game tonight in WL.

Frank Coztansa wrote:
I have MANY years of experience in trying to appreciate steaming piles of dogshit.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2018 10:55 pm 

pizza_Place: Pequods
such a winnable game, but Purdue gave it away with piss poor rebounding.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2018 11:02 pm 

Ogie Oglethorpe wrote:

That is their achilles heel.

Can't be up by 10+ at home and lose.

Hope to see a rematch in tourney

Frank Coztansa wrote:

PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2018 6:39 am 

RFDC wrote:
Boilermaker Rick wrote:
RFDC wrote:
Shooting has been a problem, but the bigger problem IMO is they have looked soft in the paint and on the glass.

And barely lost. Shoot even mediocre and things are much better.

True. But I am thinking of life in the Big 10. If they are soft inside that is not going to bode well for success.

Purdue then goes on to have the best Big Ten start since the 2005 Illinois team and the nation's longest winning streak before losing a game by 1.
RFDC wrote:
Ogie Oglethorpe wrote:

That is their achilles heel.

Can't be up by 10+ at home and lose.

Hope to see a rematch in tourney

Yup. You nailed it!

They'll be fine. They lost the regular season title today as I expect a loss at MSU but they won't play that bad again and they should have won anyways.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2018 9:33 am 

Glad we agree brick. They will be fine and have had quite the run

Frank Coztansa wrote:

PostPosted: Sat Feb 10, 2018 3:53 pm 

SParty and the Boilers coming up. Should be a great game.

Frank Coztansa wrote:

PostPosted: Sat Feb 10, 2018 6:11 pm 

Great game. Great finish.

I dont think I have ever seen a road team go until under 10 mins left for their first turnover.

Frank Coztansa wrote:

PostPosted: Sat Feb 10, 2018 6:37 pm 

Shpuld have won both games this week. Time to regroup.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 10, 2018 6:52 pm 

Boilermaker Rick wrote:
Shpuld have won both games this week. Time to regroup.

ah. Def should have won the OSU game. But todays game was a different story. Really hard to win there. Your guys played well.

Frank Coztansa wrote:

PostPosted: Sat Feb 10, 2018 8:11 pm 

pizza_Place: Vito and Nick's
RFDC wrote:
Great game. Great finish.

I dont think I have ever seen a road team go until under 10 mins left for their first turnover.

Missed this one due to my son's damn basketball game.....

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2018 7:21 am 

Sad we don't get a Purdue-IU rematch.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2018 9:36 am 

Boilermaker Rick wrote:
Sad we don't get a Purdue-IU rematch.

Me too. Rutgers shot the lights out last night. Was like 60 % in 2nd half.

Overall I like what i have seen from Archie in hos first year. Looking forward to seeing what he can do with his recruits

Frank Coztansa wrote:

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2018 8:42 pm 

Great finish between Penn St and OSU

Frank Coztansa wrote:

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2018 11:03 am 

pizza_Place: Il Forno in Deerfield!
RFDC wrote:

It always is.

I like Michigan over MSU today. Not too impressed with what I've seen from MSU this year. I don't like they're perimeter game. And JJJ can't stay out of foul trouble.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2018 5:11 pm 

shakes wrote:
RFDC wrote:

It always is.

I like Michigan over MSU today. Not too impressed with what I've seen from MSU this year. I don't like they're perimeter game. And JJJ can't stay out of foul trouble.

Called it.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2018 3:38 pm 

pizza_Place: Pizza Hut
Purdue and Michigan today for the Big 10 title, should be a good one.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2018 6:08 pm 

Mich laying the wood to Purdue.

Michigan is going to be a dangerous team in the big dance. Curious to see where they get seeded.

Frank Coztansa wrote:

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2018 6:38 pm 

pizza_Place: Vito and Nick's
RFDC wrote:

Michigan is going to be a dangerous team in the big dance. Curious to see where they get seeded.

# 3?

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2018 6:56 pm 

pizza_Place: Pizza Hut
tommy wrote:
RFDC wrote:

# 3?[/quote

I would say 3 also

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2018 7:33 pm 

yep, they'll be a #3. I really like them, they have some great guards. Only issues I see are they can't shoot free throws and Wagner gets in foul trouble a lot.

Also interested to see how bad Livers hurt his ankle. the extra week of rest should help.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2018 11:44 am 

So Brick. What are your thoughts/expectations for the Boilers in the tourney?

Prob looking at a 3 seed. If they fail to make the final four will painter be under any heat?

Frank Coztansa wrote:

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2018 11:50 am 

RFDC wrote:

Prob looking at a 3 seed. If they fail to make the final four will painter be under any heat?

It would be absolutely shocking if they were a 3 seed. They'd have to be jumped by multiple teams who they were way ahead of a month ago when they were a 1 seed. The loss to Wisconsin is the only loss that even dropped them a little.

Elite 8 is my expectation. I'll be disappointed with anything less than that.

No heat for Painter. He's building quite a program now and he is entering his prime. They take a minor step back next year but still should be good with a monster of a team for the year after if Carsen doesn't go pro.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2018 11:57 am 

Boilermaker Rick wrote:
RFDC wrote:

It would be absolutely shocking if they were a 3 seed. They'd have to be jumped by multiple teams who they were way ahead of a month ago when they were a 1 seed. The loss to Wisconsin is the only loss that even dropped them a little.

Elite 8 is my expectation. I'll be disappointed with anything less than that.

No heat for Painter. He's building quite a program now and he is entering his prime. They take a minor step back next year but still should be good with a monster of a team for the year after if Carsen doesn't go pro.

I say 3 seed because I dont think the committee is going to view the Big 10 favorably.

Glad to hear that for Painter. Even as an IU guy i love Painter. Seems like a good dude and one that is easy to cheer for. In the right bracket they can make the final four.

Frank Coztansa wrote:

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2018 12:08 pm 

RFDC wrote:
I say 3 seed because I dont think the committee is going to view the Big 10 favorably.
They don't really do that though. That's how Purdue was a 1 seed.

Since they were announced as one of the four 1 seeds this happened:
Loss to Wisconsin: Looks bad, but how they played at the end of the year turned them into basically a "neutral" loss even with a bad record. The quad system they setup comes up big there.
Loss to Michigan in conference final: Traditionally, conference tournaments get less weight. Purdue is also 2-1 against Michigan even with the loss. Also, fellow potential 2 seed MSU lost earlier in the tournmanet. Michigan also is a top 4 seed. With a win over Michigan, Purdue may have been a 1 seed.

Auburn was closest to them and they already have 3 losses since then too, all of which weren't impressive.
Cincinnati just has a horrible schedule.
MSU lost to the same Michigan team, and they were pretty far behind a month ago. The Wisconsin loss probably isn't that big of a deal to jump them. They probably do with a win over us in the BTT though. They have a surprisingly weak amount of top wins.
Duke/North Carolina are probably both 2 seeds, and so is Purdue and one of the teams mentioned above.

Also, and it's probably only a minor issue, but the committee does take into account injuries, and Vince Edwards ankle has been a problem still but should be near 100% by the tournament. He's very important especially with rebounding.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2018 2:57 pm 

Boilermaker Rick wrote:
RFDC wrote:
They don't really do that though. That's how Purdue was a 1 seed.

Since they were announced as one of the four 1 seeds this happened:
Loss to Wisconsin: Looks bad, but how they played at the end of the year turned them into basically a "neutral" loss even with a bad record. The quad system they setup comes up big there.
Loss to Michigan in conference final: Traditionally, conference tournaments get less weight. Purdue is also 2-1 against Michigan even with the loss. Also, fellow potential 2 seed MSU lost earlier in the tournmanet. Michigan also is a top 4 seed. With a win over Michigan, Purdue may have been a 1 seed.

Auburn was closest to them and they already have 3 losses since then too, all of which weren't impressive.
Cincinnati just has a horrible schedule.
MSU lost to the same Michigan team, and they were pretty far behind a month ago. The Wisconsin loss probably isn't that big of a deal to jump them. They probably do with a win over us in the BTT though. They have a surprisingly weak amount of top wins.
Duke/North Carolina are probably both 2 seeds, and so is Purdue and one of the teams mentioned above.

Also, and it's probably only a minor issue, but the committee does take into account injuries, and Vince Edwards ankle has been a problem still but should be near 100% by the tournament. He's very important especially with rebounding.

So which is it, the committee doesn't put much weight into conference tournaments and therefore they won't get discounted too much for the loss to Michigan OR Purdue wins that game and moves up to a 1 seed? Speaking out of both sides of your mouth there.

Purdue had no shot at a 1 seed no matter what happened in the tourney. One seeds are basically locked up in UVA, Nova, Xavier and Kansas.

2 seeds right now look like Duke, Cincy, MSU and Purdue, but I think Purdue is last in that group and could be replaced by a team like UNC or Texas Tech if they win their conference tourney and beat a higher ranked team in the process.

I personally think Michigan should be ahead of Purdue right now. Purdue beat them twice by a total of 5 points. Michigan dismantled them and made them look completely overmatched yesterday. FWIW, Michigan is #7 in the AP poll today, Purdue is #10.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2018 3:29 pm 

shakes wrote:
So which is it, the committee doesn't put much weight into conference tournaments and therefore they won't get discounted too much for the loss to Michigan OR Purdue wins that game and moves up to a 1 seed? Speaking out of both sides of your mouth there.
Not really. The committee treats them basically as normal games. Purdue would have been 3-0 over a quality Michigan team. It probably would have taken an early loss by Kansas or Xavier though.
shakes wrote:
2 seeds right now look like Duke, Cincy, MSU and Purdue, but I think Purdue is last in that group and could be replaced by a team like UNC or Texas Tech if they win their conference tourney and beat a higher ranked team in the process.
Purdue is ahead of MSU. Go look at the resumes. The same is true for Cincy. They are weighing heavily this quad system and Purdue has both beat on that. I believe Wisconsin ends up a quad 2 loss(not that bad) and Purdue was FAR ahead of Cincy and MSU when the seedings were announced. The seedings were announced after MSU beat Purdue too.
shakes wrote:
I personally think Michigan should be ahead of Purdue right now. Purdue beat them twice by a total of 5 points. Michigan dismantled them and made them look completely overmatched yesterday. FWIW, Michigan is #7 in the AP poll today, Purdue is #10.
Again, total resume matters. Purdue has a better one. Bracket Matrix has Purdue as the 6 overall seed right now.

I'll let you think what you want about Michigan. Michigan was clearly better yesterday but I think a lot of that was Purdue just having an off night with Vince Edwards struggling on a badly sprained ankle in his third game in three days.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2018 4:59 pm 

Boilermaker Rick wrote:
shakes wrote:
Not really. The committee treats them basically as normal games. Purdue would have been 3-0 over a quality Michigan team. It probably would have taken an early loss by Kansas or Xavier though.
shakes wrote:
Purdue is ahead of MSU. Go look at the resumes. The same is true for Cincy. They are weighing heavily this quad system and Purdue has both beat on that. I believe Wisconsin ends up a quad 2 loss(not that bad) and Purdue was FAR ahead of Cincy and MSU when the seedings were announced. The seedings were announced after MSU beat Purdue too.
shakes wrote:
Again, total resume matters. Purdue has a better one. Bracket Matrix has Purdue as the 6 overall seed right now.

I'll let you think what you want about Michigan. Michigan was clearly better yesterday but I think a lot of that was Purdue just having an off night with Vince Edwards struggling on a badly sprained ankle in his third game in three days.

Purdue does not have a good resume. Not sure where you got that from. They're 0-2 vs Ohio State and MSU. They've lost their last 3 games vs top 15 opponents. They haven't won a game vs a top 25 team since late January when they beat #25 Michigan. Their most impressive win was over Thanksgiving when they beat a #2 Arizona team that was in the midst of a 3 game losing streak and on their way out of the top 25 the next week.

Other than beating a horribly slumping AZ team in November and then 2 close wins vs Michigan when they were ranked #25 and unranked at the time (which were later avenged with the ass whupping yesterday) they haven't done anything. What's their next big win? Louisville in November? Louisville may not even make the tournament. After that, Butler in December I guess? Barely a tournament team.

Cincinnati has a better win yesterday (at #11 Wichita State) than Purdue has all year. Oh yea, and Cincy did that with its best player playing on one leg (as opposed to the excuse you give of Purdue losing because their 3rd or 4th best player had a sprained ankle lol)

MSU had a better resume as well. Win in February vs #3 Purdue. That's a better win than Purdue has all year. They also beat UNC (#9 at the time) and Notre Dame when they still had Colson and were #5 at the time. How is that worse than Purdue?

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2018 5:11 pm 

shakes wrote:
Boilermaker Rick wrote:
shakes wrote:
shakes wrote:
shakes wrote:

Purdue does not have a good resume. Not sure where you got that from. They're 0-2 vs Ohio State and MSU. They've lost their last 3 games vs top 15 opponents. They haven't won a game vs a top 25 team since late January when they beat #25 Michigan. Their most impressive win was over Thanksgiving when they beat a #2 Arizona team that was in the midst of a 3 game losing streak and on their way out of the top 25 the next week.

Other than beating a horribly slumping AZ team in November and then 2 close wins vs Michigan when they were ranked #25 and unranked at the time (which were later avenged with the ass whupping yesterday) they haven't done anything. What's their next big win? Louisville in November? Louisville may not even make the tournament. After that, Butler in December I guess? Barely a tournament team.

Cincinnati has a better win yesterday (at #11 Wichita State) than Purdue has all year. Oh yea, and Cincy did that with its best player playing on one leg (as opposed to the excuse you give of Purdue losing because their 3rd or 4th best player had a sprained ankle lol)

MSU had a better resume as well. Win in February vs #3 Purdue. That's a better win than Purdue has all year. They also beat UNC (#9 at the time) and Notre Dame when they still had Colson and were #5 at the time. How is that worse than Purdue?

A bunch of random anecdotes don't change the facts that Purdue is considered to have a great resume based on the quad system they are using. That's what got them as a 1 seed, though the loss to Wisconsin dropped them to a 2 seed.

http://www.bracketmatrix.com/
https://www.cbssports.com/college-basketball/news/bracketology-michigan-cincinnati-pick-up-big-wins/

If Cincy, and Auburn both win their tournaments then there is a small chance of a 3 seed. Outside of that, Purdue is a 2 seed.

So, are you officially saying Purdue is a 3 seed no matter what?

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 110 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next