It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:56 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 110 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2018 11:31 am 

pizza_Place: pizza and subs
nah. i've watched recorded games, watching them over forward and then have to rewind, then go forward again, the rewind, it gets as old as commercials or drawn out replays.

as for reviews, since Naismith invented the game, defense forces the ball out of bounds, offense ball outside of it hitting another body part. the offensive player is almost 90% of the time the last person to be touching the ball because they were the ones holding it. tale as old as time.

so i guess i do have a problem with the outcome of the call :lol:

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2018 11:33 am 

pizza_Place: Salerno's
Maybe because I had Georgia +4 and Georgia ML. Thought about hedging the ML part with Bama ML live when they switched QB's after the half. But then Tua dude threw a pick and I figured that wouldn't be his last in the game..anyhow, I thought some of the reviews in the National Championship game gave Bama's D breathers when Georgia was banging on the door of the end zone. Georgia ended up settling for a field goal on one drive after an unnecessary review of a play; whereas if they'd been able to line-up and go, they had Bama's D on their heels and might've scored those last few points they needed for the win. Bama-Georgia played out very similar to Titans-Chiefs, which I ended up on the right side of (Titans ML parlayed with Falcons ML was a nice payout). Cuz Andy Reid. 2 Hawaiian QB's? Might be the year of the Hawaiian quarterback.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2018 11:34 am 

hnd wrote:
nah. i've watched recorded games, watching them over forward and then have to rewind, then go forward again, the rewind, it gets as old as commercials or drawn out replays.

as for reviews, since Naismith invented the game, defense forces the ball out of bounds, offense ball outside of it hitting another body part. the offensive player is almost 90% of the time the last person to be touching the ball because they were the ones holding it. tale as old as time.

What are you talking about? The rule is clear that it is the last person who touches the ball. You can literally throw the ball intentionally at a persons feet and it is out on them as long as you don't miss.

The Michigan guy was the last to touch the ball. Any delay was because they were looking for any way to not give it to the defense.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2018 11:41 am 

ball goes on a direct, straight line off of the Michigan player's hand and out of bounds. It doesn't backspin up or angle down at all--which it would've done had the Purdue guy's North to South slap been the last force applied to the ball.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2018 1:40 pm 

pizza_Place: Lou Malnatis
Boilermaker Rick wrote:
hnd wrote:

What are you talking about? The rule is clear that it is the last person who touches the ball. You can literally throw the ball intentionally at a persons feet and it is out on them as long as you don't miss.

The Michigan guy was the last to touch the ball. Any delay was because they were looking for any way to not give it to the defense.

Even still, that delay was outrageous. I don't ever wanna hear a college fan complain about long reviews in the pro games ever again. :lol:

To rock my soul

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2018 1:43 pm 

FavreFan wrote:
Even still, that delay was outrageous. I don't ever wanna hear a college fan complain about long reviews in the pro games ever again. :lol:
There were a couple of timeouts in there too and they didn't go to commercial either.

The flow of college basketball has been bad though they've done some things that have improved it. Reviews take too long still especially at the end of games when there can be 4 of them in the last minute.

The NBA is horrible though and anyone who watches it is a terrible person.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2018 1:47 pm 

pizza_Place: Lou Malnatis
I'm fine with reviews. If it's an extremely difficult call, I'm even fine with long reviews.

When I could easily tell in real time who the ball was out on, it's inexcusable to have a 6 minute review. Obviously I know pro games have the same issue at times with blatantly easy calls.

To rock my soul

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2018 3:02 pm 

Boilermaker Rick wrote:
hnd wrote:

yes. since the beginning of time, 99% of the time the ball is last touched by the offensive player but the rule of thumb has always been that the ball goes out by defensive swipe its the offenses ball. now we have 5 minute replays wth hyperzoomed blurry fingertips which is completely stupid i think the game was better off before it.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2018 3:07 pm 

hnd wrote:
yes. since the beginning of time, 99% of the time the ball is last touched by the offensive player but the rule of thumb has always been that the ball goes out by defensive swipe its the offenses ball. now we have 5 minute replays wth hyperzoomed blurry fingertips which is completely stupid i think the game was better off before it.
This just isn't true.

Now, before replay it was much harder to tell that it barely touched the offensive player but the rule was always that it was the last person who touched it.

This one was clear too. The refs knew it from the start. Any delay was to try and keep it with the offense.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2018 3:11 pm 

FavreFan wrote:
I'm fine with reviews. If it's an extremely difficult call, I'm even fine with long reviews.

When I could easily tell in real time who the ball was out on, it's inexcusable to have a 6 minute review. Obviously I know pro games have the same issue at times with blatantly easy calls.
I agree. I don't think I argued otherwise besides saying that normally they go to timeout for reviews and they didn't, and it was extended by one or two timeouts. That made it seem even longer.

Then the refs went and did the time after that. It should be much quicker.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2018 3:24 pm 

Boilermaker Rick wrote:
hnd wrote:
This just isn't true.

Now, before replay it was much harder to tell that it barely touched the offensive player but the rule was always that it was the last person who touched it.

This one was clear too. The refs knew it from the start. Any delay was to try and keep it with the offense.

yes it is. its constantly complained about by broadcasters including vitale, bilas, and seth greenberg.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2018 3:33 pm 

The rule is clear that the last person to touch the ball is the one that is considered to have knocked it out of bounds. This has been true for the entire time I have ever played or watched basketball.

You see it on rebounds all the time that get knocked out of bounds.

Are you saying that there are plays in which the offensive person clearly touches the ball last but the offense keeps the ball because the defender swatted at the ball?

I watch a lot of basketball and it is ALWAYS about whoever touched the ball last even by the smallest of margins. In the game yesterday, it was clear the Michigan guy tried to grasp the ball and missed because it had been lower than he expected and it pushed it out.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2018 3:37 pm 

So if the def swipes at the ball and misses the offense still geta the ball?

What the hell?

Frank Coztansa wrote:
I have MANY years of experience in trying to appreciate steaming piles of dogshit.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2018 3:58 pm 

RFDC wrote:
So if the def swipes at the ball and misses the offense still geta the ball?

What the hell?

I think he is saying before the ref couldn't tell most times that it actually hit the offensive guy.

So basically he misses the days of less accurate calls at ends of games.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2018 4:22 pm 

Boilermaker Rick wrote:
The rule is clear that the last person to touch the ball is the one that is considered to have knocked it out of bounds. This has been true for the entire time I have ever played or watched basketball.

You see it on rebounds all the time that get knocked out of bounds.

Are you saying that there are plays in which the offensive person clearly touches the ball last but the offense keeps the ball because the defender swatted at the ball?

I watch a lot of basketball and it is ALWAYS about whoever touched the ball last even by the smallest of margins. In the game yesterday, it was clear the Michigan guy tried to grasp the ball and missed because it had been lower than he expected and it pushed it out.

i too watch a lot of basketball and have coached basketball. whenever a ball is hit out of an offensive players hand, historically because they are the one holding it, they are the last person to touch it by a millisecond but the call has always gone against the defender hitting the ball out of the hands. unless of course its obviously fumbled and or bounces off a knee or such. Since the inception of reviews, these calls are always still initially called the ways they always have but during the 2 minute mark, they are reviewed ad nauseum and almost always overturned due to a split second finger tip form the offense touching the ball after the swipe. i'm not talking about loose balls or rebounds or whatever.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2018 4:24 pm 

i'm just saying they are changing the way the game has been called historically that absolutely no one has had an issue with for years and now its an issue and it results in long momentum breaking reviews.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2018 4:33 pm 

hnd wrote:
i'm just saying they are changing the way the game has been called historically that absolutely no one has had an issue with for years and now its an issue and it results in long momentum breaking reviews.

There were a lot of wrong calls in late game situations on tipped balls. I'd rather have the correct call. Just review it quicker.

The last person to touch the ball before it goes out should be the one to lose the ball. The fact that refs couldn't tell that as easy before doesn't matter.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2018 4:52 pm 

Probably a fairly important call for seeding for Purdue come March and possibly for Michigan making the tourney (if Michigan had been able to come away with the win). Tho maybe neither team should be either rewarded or penalized in the tourney seeding by this game. Both played well. But by March, all anyone will really look at is that Purdue went on the road at a tough building in Ann Arbor and came away with the W.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2018 5:04 pm 

Hussra wrote:
Probably a fairly important call for seeding for Purdue come March and possibly for Michigan making the tourney (if Michigan had been able to come away with the win). Tho maybe neither team should be either rewarded or penalized in the tourney seeding by this game. Both played well. But by March, all anyone will really look at is that Purdue went on the road at a tough building in Ann Arbor and came away with the W.

The Big Ten seems to only have 4 good teams so Purdue needed it to help solidify a nice resume.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2018 5:24 pm 

Boilermaker Rick wrote:
hnd wrote:

There were a lot of wrong calls in late game situations on tipped balls. I'd rather have the correct call. Just review it quicker.

The last person to touch the ball before it goes out should be the one to lose the ball. The fact that refs couldn't tell that as easy before doesn't matter.

they'll still and has been called that way during no review able time. to change it midstream because its now review able is asinine.

its like wanting a flag thrown on every football play because "well, there is holding on every play!"

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2018 5:40 pm 

hnd wrote:
they'll still and has been called that way during no review able time. to change it midstream because its now review able is asinine.

its like wanting a flag thrown on every football play because "well, there is holding on every play!"
That's not how it was called. If the ref could tell who hit it last then they called it out on that person. Think of an example where a defender knocks the ball down and the other defender tries to catch it off the bounce and it bounce and it goes out. That went to the defense.

What you are saying is like you wish they wouldn't review if a person stepped out of bounds because officials wouldn't call it if was close and they didn't know for certain. The rule for basketball has always been that the last team to touch the ball, no matter how it is done, is the one that gives up the ball.

Just think about what you are advocating here. If there is a clear evidence, you want the officials to ignore the rules and that evidence and just give it to the other team because before they wouldn't have known that.

If you want replay gone completely then that is understandable but if replay exists then follow the rules.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2018 8:58 pm 

pizza_Place: Pequods
Maybe it's because I attended Purdue during the time of the Baby Boilers, but I can't get past this sense of dread that some catastrophe will befall this team in Minnesota (like February 2010). I really hope I am wrong.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2018 9:04 pm 

Ogie Oglethorpe wrote:
Maybe it's because I attended Purdue during the time of the Baby Boilers, but I can't get past this sense of dread that some catastrophe will befall this team in Minnesota (like February 2010). I really hope I am wrong.

Save us from a 2 vs 15 tournament loss.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2018 9:06 pm 

pizza_Place: Pequods
Boilermaker Rick wrote:
Ogie Oglethorpe wrote:

Save us from a 2 vs 15 tournament loss.

To be fair, Painter's teams usually lay their egg in the 2nd game of the tourney (in addition to crapping out early in the B1G tourney).

I used to be an optimist before I became a Boiler. :lol: Purdue sports jaded my outlook on life.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2018 8:03 pm 

Gotta hand it to Painter and the Boilers. They are rolling right now.

Could they actually be a national title contender?

Frank Coztansa wrote:
I have MANY years of experience in trying to appreciate steaming piles of dogshit.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2018 10:16 am 

RFDC wrote:
Gotta hand it to Painter and the Boilers. They are rolling right now.

Could they actually be a national title contender?

It's all coming together nicely and they are still working in two newcomers. They really solved the rebounding issue but it cam.always come back.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2018 1:45 pm 

pizza_Place: Il Forno in Deerfield!
Big 10 working their way to a historically low number of NCAA bids. As of today, CBS has only 4 Big10 teams in the dance (OSU, MSU, UM, PU). Injuries and suspensions have derailed Maryland and Minnesota. Northwestern has only their weak mental make up to blame for their season.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2018 1:55 pm 

shakes wrote:
Big 10 working their way to a historically low number of NCAA bids. As of today, CBS has only 4 Big10 teams in the dance (OSU, MSU, UM, PU). Injuries and suspensions have derailed Maryland and Minnesota. Northwestern has only their weak mental make up to blame for their season.

UM and OSU are coming on strong though. It's a bad year though for the Big Ten.

NW was obviously going to regress given the fundamentals of how good they actually were last season but this is an embarrassment. Minnesota is getting what they deserve for who they recruit.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2018 7:36 pm 

pizza_Place: Obbies
Last time I was exciter about Purdue wads the Big Dog prior to that a kid from Lebanon Indiana :wink:

I'm out.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 27, 2018 11:57 am 

Brick can you ask your boys to keep it under 40 tomorrow

Frank Coztansa wrote:

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 110 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next