It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:55 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2017 12:24 pm 

pizza_Place: Il Forno in Deerfield!
Season starts today!

Actually a really good game on opening day, Texas A&M vs West Virginia. A&M has Robert Williams who will be a lottery pick next June. WVA has the PG from Chicago who has been there for 17 years. Plus WVA plays the most unique style of bball of any team in the country with its full court press.

Some other games on tv with big team vs cupcakes as both UNC and Kansas play as well, but unfortunately not against each other. Duke plays Elon, pretty sure Grayson Allen tripped someone in this game last year, but that could b said for several of the Duke games last year.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2017 1:09 pm 

I'm going to De Paul v. ND tomorrow. Hopefully the Demons can make a game of it.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 11, 2017 1:07 am 

pizza_Place: Drag's
A shitty Michael Porterless Mizzou team trounced Iowa State, Steve Prohm's first team with no Hoiberg guys. Yikes. GarPax is having game film FedExed.

"Smiles with Nostrils"

"...no Hmong, go find some blacks"

PostPosted: Sat Nov 11, 2017 11:48 am 

man what a let down. Every game I tuned in to the star player wasn't playing. Ended up not watching any games.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 11, 2017 5:49 pm 

pizza_Place: Home Run Inn
I enjoyed watching the DePaul/Notre Dame game. DePaul will just be meh, but it is nice to see a full arena for a DePaul game. Wintrust Arena does look nice and hopefully plays a part in improving DePaul's recruiting.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2017 1:57 pm 

FrankDrebin wrote:
I enjoyed watching the DePaul/Notre Dame game. DePaul will just be meh, but it is nice to see a full arena for a DePaul game. Wintrust Arena does look nice and hopefully plays a part in improving DePaul's recruiting.

Agreed. Very nice to see the arena, it does look nice. DePaul made a game of it for a bit, then that idiot missed a dunk that would've given DePaul the lead. Turned to my wife and said watch this, they won't get another chance to take the lead the rest of the game. Sure enough, ND went on a big run after that missed dunk and never looked back. Cain looked good for DePaul.

Next step is they gotta get in a young and hungry coach who can recruit.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2017 2:03 pm 

If you're looking for a game to watch tonight, #15 Minnesota, coached by the leader in wins amongst active coaches named Pitino, heads to Providence to take on a real tough Friars team.

5:30 tip off on FS1.

Wagner takes on Mizzou later in the evening, hopefully get a chance to see Porter play assuming he is healthy.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2017 10:47 pm 

pizza_Place: Drag's
Iowa State loses at home by 18 to fucking Wisconsin-Milwaukee in Prohm's 2nd game with no Hoiberg guys. There's no way their recruiting class sticks. Illinois should be all over that, though they're no better.

"Smiles with Nostrils"

"...no Hmong, go find some blacks"

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2017 2:03 pm 

Obviously the double header at the UC takes priority tonight, but there's a sneaky little Purdue vs Marquette game on FS1 at 6:30 as well. Not sure what Marquette has this year, but they are always competitive. Purdue is #19 and hoping to emerge from a solid group of teams including Minnesota and Northwestern as the 2nd best team in the conference behind MSU.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2017 11:08 pm 

pizza_Place: Pequods
Purdue beats Marquette on the road by 15. Quality win for the Boilers

PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2017 12:04 pm 

I had hockey last night so only got a chance to see the very beginning of the Purdue game. I think Purdue is going to prove to be better than their rank. Loaded with upper classmen and a soph PG who should make a big step forward this year.

Big10 in general should be pretty tough this year.

Couple good games tonight. Butler travels to Maryland and Creighton travels to Northwestern via Rosemont.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2017 12:08 pm 

shakes wrote:
I had hockey last night so only got a chance to see the very beginning of the Purdue game. I think Purdue is going to prove to be better than their rank. Loaded with upper classmen and a soph PG who should make a big step forward this year.
It came out of nowhere to even big Purdue fans but Matt Haarms made a huge leap since last year(redshirt). They may actually be better than last year after losing Swanigan. I can't even imagine what it would have been like if he had returned as he supposedly was very close to doing.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2017 11:39 am 

well, so much for Northwestern bball and football being in the top 25 at the same time. It was fun while it lasted.

Tough loss to Creighton last night. NU has such a fine margin of error. They have 4 really good players and really nothing else that resembles a D1 player. If all 4 are playing well they can compete with just about any team in the country, but if any of them are off they are going to struggle.

Maryland looked real solid vs Butler. their little PG, Cowan is really good and gonna make people around there forget all about Tremble.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 19, 2017 10:29 pm 

Location: Bohemian Club Annual World Power Consolidation Conference & Golf Outing
pizza_Place: World Fluoridation Conspiracy Pizza & WINGS!
Why is Illinois playing Augustana? I think I could have played for Augustana.

And why is DePaul playing Michigan State at 10:30pm on Thanksgiving Day?

PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2017 7:47 am 

pizza_Place: nick n vito's
That's a real bad loss by Northwestern, inexcusable.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2017 11:08 am 

312player wrote:

Wrong. Losing to Texas Tech is not a "real bad loss".

That said, being the only top 25 team to already have 2 losses isn't a good look. But they lost to one really good team and as for Texas Tech, who knows, but its not like losing to some crappy low or mid major.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2017 11:09 am 

shakes wrote:
312player wrote:

That said, being the only top 25 team to already have 2 losses isn't a good look. But they lost to one really good team and as for Texas Tech, who knows, but its not like losing to some crappy low or mid major.
Getting blown out is a bad loss.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2017 11:13 am 

Mini March Madness week starts today. Lots of holiday tournaments including one in Portland that could end looking like a preview to a final four when its all said and done.

Today the highlights are:

Marquette vs VCU from Maui
#6 Wichita State vs Cal (Cal isn't good, but good chance to see possible Final 4 team Wichita State)
#16 Texas A&M vs Ok. State (no idea how OSU is without Evans and Underwood, but Texas A&M looks real good)
#23 UCLA vs Creighton (Creighton tries to knock off another ranked team, UCLA has some good freshmen)
#25 Baylor vs Wisconsin
Michigan vs LSU (LSU has good freshman PG)

PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2017 3:21 pm 

Boilermaker Rick wrote:
shakes wrote:
312player wrote:

Getting blown out is a bad loss.

yea, I forgot they got blown out that bad. Not a good sign for my memory since I watched the game lol. definitely a bad loss getting their ass kicked that bad.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2017 11:45 am 

Another day loaded with games, although things will really pick up starting tomorrow. But that said, still some great matchups today...

Marquette vs #6 Wichita State (Wichita played horrible vs VCU but won, doubt they can play like that and beat Marquette. WS is still missing one of its best players, but they have a ton of depth)

VCU vs Cal (kind of a nothing game but worth watching just to see Ron Coleman play for Cal. Guy averaged 4ppg last year, this year he has gone for 30+ in 3 of their first 4 games.

Penn St vs #16 Texas A&M (A&M is really good, probably higher than their rank)

#22 Baylor vs Creighton (Creighton has already knocked off 2 top 25 teams this year)

#13 Notre Dame vs LSU (as an LSU fan I can say that this year's team with a new coach looks to be the hardest playing LSU team I've seen in 30 years. They beat Michigan last night)

PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2017 11:47 am 

I think the game slightly off the radar that I'm looking forward to the most all weekend is Thursday's probable Purdue vs Villanova matchup. One top 10 team and another team that probably should be in the top 10.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2017 11:48 am 

pizza_Place: World Famous Pizza
How does Valpo look?

PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2017 12:10 pm 

SpiralStairs wrote:
How does Valpo look?

no idea, haven't seen or heard anything. I assume their star player from last year graduated?

PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2017 6:49 pm 

I recommend checking out the Notre Dame vs LSU game tonight. LSU has a little freshman point guard, Tremont Waters, who looks like he might be a lot better than his recruit ranking. He's a 4 star prospect ranked as the #8 PG in his class. Lit up Michigan last night. What's really cool is the way he does it....can get anywhere on the court, has a nice step back 3, but best of all he has these amazing crazy ridiculous amount of english spinning layups. Last night he had 3 of them, one he spun it off the very edge of the backboard.

Besides Waters they have 3 other nice freshman and the 16th rated class overall. The new coach looks really good. This might be the first time since pre Dale Brown that LSU actually has a good basketball coach. Maybe its just the excited homer in me (been an LSU ball fan since 1987), but I think this team might be a huge surprise this year and who knows, maybe even a tournament team. Way too early to say that, but I can't remember an LSU team ever playing as hard as this one.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2017 12:25 am 

shakes wrote:
I recommend checking out the Notre Dame vs LSU game tonight. LSU has a little freshman point guard, Tremont Waters, who looks like he might be a lot better than his recruit ranking. He's a 4 star prospect ranked as the #8 PG in his class. Lit up Michigan last night. What's really cool is the way he does it....can get anywhere on the court, has a nice step back 3, but best of all he has these amazing crazy ridiculous amount of english spinning layups. Last night he had 3 of them, one he spun it off the very edge of the backboard.

Besides Waters they have 3 other nice freshman and the 16th rated class overall. The new coach looks really good. This might be the first time since pre Dale Brown that LSU actually has a good basketball coach. Maybe its just the excited homer in me (been an LSU ball fan since 1987), but I think this team might be a huge surprise this year and who knows, maybe even a tournament team. Way too early to say that, but I can't remember an LSU team ever playing as hard as this one.

On second thought....

PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2017 3:26 pm 

Purdue goes down to unranked Tennessee in OT. Purdue did not look good. Very soft on the boards.

Between Purdue and Northwestern, the Big 10 leads the country in most losses by ranked teams so far. Not a good start for the Big10.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2017 3:32 pm 

Terrible loss. No excuse.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 23, 2017 12:40 am 

helluva game between ND and Wich St. Love Farrell for ND. That felt like a March madness game.

Frank Coztansa wrote:
I have MANY years of experience in trying to appreciate steaming piles of dogshit.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 24, 2017 10:29 pm 

pizza_Place: Geo's Pizza
Bagley is a hell of a player. Think he will be a star when he makes the NBA?

PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2017 10:47 am 

Great weekend of college ball with all the tournaments. Lots of OT games, even an double OT game.

Some freshman to pay attention to this year.

Bagley: I haven't seen Ayton play yet, but between Bagley and everyone else I don't see how he isn't the #1 pick next spring.
Mo Bamba: As raw as any top 5 pick you're gonna see. Can rebound and defend already, but offensively he is way behind.
Duval: started out great, but lately his game has trailed off a bit. Did play well in the 2nd half vs Florida.
Gary Trent Jr = Getting lost in the shuffle at Duke so far
Carter = getting lost in the shadow of Bagley so far

Now let's talk about the 2 most impressive freshman point guards in the country so far.

Collin Sexton/Alabama: The guy almost literally beat Minnesota by himself the other night after his team was reduced to 3 players do to everyone else getting ejected, fouling out or getting injured. They played the final 10 minutes 3 vs 5 and behind Sexton's game high 40 pts they outscored Minnesota (a top 15 team) 30-22 and almost won the game.

Trae Young/Oklahoma: He has the most unfortunate hair in college basketball (looks like he has early onset alopecia), but his game is far from unfortunate. no exaggeration, he's the closest thing we've seen to Steph Curry since Steph Curry. 43 pts and 7 assists vs Oregon, I think he's gone for 30+ in his last 3 games. Lightning quick, amazing vision and court sense, quick release and unlimited range. Sound familiar?