It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:37 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Coaching changes
PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2017 4:50 pm 

pizza_Place: Vito and Nick's
Tennessee has Florida and Alabama at home. Kentucky has Georgia. Vandy has Florida....

PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2017 4:55 pm 

pizza_Place: Chuck E Cheese
It's too bad Twitter wasn't around in Spurrier's heyday at Florida or else we may have been treated to more savagery like "You can't spell Citrus (Bowl) without UT," although that one is hard to top

PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2017 5:00 pm 

KDdidit wrote:
It's too bad Twitter wasn't around in Spurrier's heyday at Florida or else we may have been treated to more savagery like "You can't spell Citrus (Bowl) without UT," although that one is hard to top

Fantastic call!! He's Trumpian in this regard. I think one of the Bowdens said of Spurrier, "The only score he didn't run up was his SAT." So Spurrier inspired good would-be tweets, too.

I used to hate Spurrier....but he grew on me, I gotta admit. He built that program, too. Florida wasn't jack shit before him, perhaps except when he played for them.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2017 10:58 pm 

10 years for Jimbo at A&M ( :lol: )

And looking like Mike Leach to Tenn ( :( ) Can't wait to see Tennessee sling that thing 58 times a game vs Georgia and Bama next year

PostPosted: Fri Dec 01, 2017 12:13 am 

As fucked up as this search has gone for Tenn, to get Leach out of this deal would be a pretty good ending for them.

Frank Coztansa wrote:
I have MANY years of experience in trying to appreciate steaming piles of dogshit.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 01, 2017 12:50 am 

pizza_Place: Palermo's 95th
Leach is a good coach and would usually be a good hire given the circumstances of how this search has transpired. Unfortunately I didn't think he had the personality to be an SEC coach never mind one who can appease a fanbase that will be frothing at the mouth even more than usual. I don't see him lasting more than 2 years unless he has an insane buyout.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 01, 2017 7:04 am 

Leach would be a better hire than anyone who turned them down.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 01, 2017 9:14 am 

pizza_Place: Aurelios
spanky wrote:

In what universe is A&M a better job than FSU? I guess its just the truckload of money that comes with it...

PostPosted: Fri Dec 01, 2017 9:39 am 

tommy wrote:
KDdidit wrote:

Fantastic call!! He's Trumpian in this regard. I think one of the Bowdens said of Spurrier, "The only score he didn't run up was his SAT." So Spurrier inspired good would-be tweets, too.

I used to hate Spurrier....but he grew on me, I gotta admit. He built that program, too. Florida wasn't jack shit before him, perhaps except when he played for them.

He built Duke before that. They had never done anything in their history and he made them a winning program with a QB who got drafted by the NFL. They were bad again for at least a decade after he left until Cutcliffe arrived. While he didn't build SC they were certainly never as good as when he was coaching.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 01, 2017 9:45 am 

spanky wrote:

And looking like Mike Leach to Tenn ( :( ) Can't wait to see Tennessee sling that thing 58 times a game vs Georgia and Bama next year

I don't imagine his style will work against Alabama but it wasn't like anyone else's was either. Look at the success Spurrior had in the SEC with innovative offenses. I think Leach can survive very well pounding out the dregs and competing against everyone who is not Alabama. He also likes to run up scores so he will create hatred.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 01, 2017 9:47 am 

pizza_Place: Aurelios
good dolphin wrote:
tommy wrote:
KDdidit wrote:

He built Duke before that. They had never done anything in their history and he made them a winning program with a QB who got drafted by the NFL. They were bad again for at least a decade after he left until Cutcliffe arrived. While he didn't build SC they were certainly never as good as when he was coaching.

Lou Holtz got the illegal recruiting rolling there so that the old Ball Coach could step in and perfect it in between rounds on the golf course.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 01, 2017 10:01 am 

Tennessee has fired their AD. This is going great.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 01, 2017 10:09 am 

pizza_Place: Angelo's Pizza in Downers Grove
Boilermaker Rick wrote:
Tennessee has fired their AD. This is going great.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 01, 2017 12:24 pm 

Sources: John Currie was prepared to hire Mike Leach but university officials wouldn’t allow him to do so. Phillip Fulmer has been sabotaging search process in hopes to become Tennessee’s AD
https://twitter.com/Brett_McMurphy/s...14721284911104

PostPosted: Fri Dec 01, 2017 1:38 pm 

Jimbo to A&M.

Florida State supposedly considering Kevin Sumlin, among others. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

PostPosted: Fri Dec 01, 2017 1:39 pm 

Big Chicagoan wrote:
Jimbo to A&M.

Florida State supposedly considering Kevin Sumlin, among others. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Sumlin supposedly gets $10 million from A&M if he isn't hired within 60 days of being fired.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 01, 2017 3:37 pm 

pizza_Place: Palermo's
Big Chicagoan wrote:
Sources: John Currie was prepared to hire Mike Leach but university officials wouldn’t allow him to do so. Phillip Fulmer has been sabotaging search process in hopes to become Tennessee’s AD
https://twitter.com/Brett_McMurphy/s...14721284911104

http://www.knoxnews.com/story/sports/co ... 913888001/

I hope Fulmer hires Schiano.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 01, 2017 5:25 pm 

pizza_Place: Chuck E Cheese
Fun fact: when Scott Frost leaves that will make Mark Richt the longest tenured FBS coach of the seven Florida schools.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 01, 2017 5:36 pm 

tommy wrote:
Tennessee has Florida and Alabama at home. Kentucky has Georgia. Vandy has Florida....

Kentucky is about as far south as I want to go these days. Plus besides the ease of tix, UGA may be the class of the SEC next season.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 01, 2017 6:38 pm 

Regular Reader wrote:
tommy wrote:

Kentucky is about as far south as I want to go these days. Plus besides the ease of tix, UGA may be the class of the SEC next season.

We can do that.....

PostPosted: Fri Dec 01, 2017 6:42 pm 

Hank Scorpio wrote:
spanky wrote:

In what universe is A&M a better job than FSU? I guess its just the truckload of money that comes with it...

Got a significantly longer tradition, but I guess it's about the money and the years....

PostPosted: Tue Dec 19, 2017 1:56 pm 

In about Seven years Sean Lewis has went from the offensive coordinator at Richards to signing a five year 2.3 million dollar deal to be the head coach at Kent St. That is one hell of a climb up the ladder.

Yes it is.

CDOM wrote:
When this is all over, which is not going to be for a while, Trump will be re-elected President.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2018 2:51 pm 

Arizona about to hire Navy coach until Qb cries on twitter about it. Change plans and go with Sumlin.

Yes it is.

CDOM wrote:
When this is all over, which is not going to be for a while, Trump will be re-elected President.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2019 6:10 pm 

Glad to see Rod Carey failing upward and out at NIU. I'm sure he will do exactly as he did at NIU: take someone else's recruits/program and do fine then steadily regress as it becomes his show. He will also lose bowl games.

It's an exciting opportunity for NIU as they are the type of program with which a coach can make a name and move on to bigger opportunities

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2019 7:43 pm 

good dolphin wrote:
Glad to see Rod Carey failing upward and out at NIU. I'm sure he will do exactly as he did at NIU: take someone else's recruits/program and do fine then steadily regress as it becomes his show. He will also lose bowl games.

It's an exciting opportunity for NIU as they are the type of program with which a coach can make a name and move on to bigger opportunities

You've always had Rod Carey animus. :lol:

He did a decent job, but nothing more. I agree that this is an opportunity for the program. Be great to see them make some noise again.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2019 7:44 pm 

I was also surprised that Carey wasn't 65.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2019 11:57 am 

pizza_Place: Mauries Table
tommy wrote:
good dolphin wrote:

He did a decent job, but nothing more. I agree that this is an opportunity for the program. Be great to see them make some noise again.

I’m with GD on this. Good riddance. I wonder if Jordan Lynch will garner any interest.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2019 9:35 am 

tommy wrote:
good dolphin wrote:

Look closely at his work, if you have absolutely nothing better to do. As his predecessor's recruits graduated out and his recruits and systems started to be implemented, the program went from elite mid major at the cusp of Boise State status to a good run of the mill MAC program (and the MAC itself got worse as a league during that time). The program is not better than when he took it over.

I really hope they don't hire from within. The program has stagnated and could use fresh blood. Hopefully they look to a youngish, successful big ten coordinator.