It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:32 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 102 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2018 3:58 pm 

Overall Hurley was good but i always felt that he really came into his own the last 2 years of college. He benefitted greatly from a number of guys turning pro early.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2018 4:01 pm 

GoldenJet wrote:
So, is Hurley in the top 50 college point guards all-time? Top 40? Top 20?

I'd have to think on it. I never saw Magic and Isaiah as college players. Didn't see any of the guys that preceded them either.

Of the people i've seen i lean 15-20 but i'd have to think on that one.

I have always thought of Hurley as one of the winningest players in College basketball history moreso than one of the top point guards.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2018 7:29 pm 

Location: Bohemian Club Annual World Power Consolidation Conference & Golf Outing
pizza_Place: World Fluoridation Conspiracy Pizza & WINGS!
Regular Reader wrote:
Dr. Kenneth Noisewater wrote:
Magic Johnson was pretty good.

It's funny how he's taken for granted and then routinely ignored in these discussions

Pearl Washington was amazing as well.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2018 8:46 pm 

I am really surprised that RR didnt have Isiah as one of the best guards of all time. His run at IU was as good as anyone ever.

Frank Coztansa wrote:
I have MANY years of experience in trying to appreciate steaming piles of dogshit.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2018 8:54 pm 

Location: Bohemian Club Annual World Power Consolidation Conference & Golf Outing
pizza_Place: World Fluoridation Conspiracy Pizza & WINGS!
Pete Maravich was the greatest college basketball player that didn't screw 20,000 women.

It's not really close.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2018 7:58 am 

No. Too many turnovers.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2018 12:56 pm 

RFDC wrote:
I am really surprised that RR didnt have Isiah as one of the best guards of all time. His run at IU was as good as anyone ever.

Oh I do, it's just that I oddly didn't see Isiah play that much. DePaul ball took up most of my viewing enjoyment, at least until the NCAAs started. And during the ridiculous three year stretch of opening round losses, I couldn't watch anything until baseball started. Including IU's '81 title run.

Admittedly, my Pistol Pete love is based on numbers and how his image was so carefully crafted to appeal to any skinny kid with a floppy fro and bad socks.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2018 1:01 pm 

pizza_Place: Il Forno in Deerfield!
Regular Reader wrote:
RFDC wrote:

Oh I do, it's just that I oddly didn't see Isiah play that much. DePaul ball took up most of my viewing enjoyment, at least until the NCAAs started. And during the ridiculous three year stretch of opening round losses, I couldn't watch anything until baseball started. Including IU's '81 title run.

Admittedly, my Pistol Pete love is based on numbers and how his image was so carefully crafted to appeal to any skinny kid with a floppy fro and bad socks.

Me and you should be in the same support group for those early 80s DePaul teams.

I still contend to this day that Ray Meyer was the most overrated coach in CBB history and on the Mt. Rushmore of shitty coaches. His reliance on the 4 corner offense when his team of superior players would have a 2-4 point lead with 10 minutes left in a game was the blue print for all those losses.

He was a shit coach and his son was even worse.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2018 1:05 pm 

pizza_Place: Il Forno in Deerfield!
It's funny that you guys are just discovering Trae Young at a time when his game is actually going to shit. Despite his stats, his game has been on a steady decline since conference play started. And its all Lon Kruger's fault. This is what happens when you just roll a ball out there and tell your freshman PG to go ahead and do whatever he wants. Earlier in the season the mid court shots were taken in good spots, now he just hoists them up from half court seemingly every other possession and usually with guys in his face.

His teammates are starting to give up on trying when they don't have the ball.

Kruger needs to get this kid to play within some sort of offense or else this team is going nowhere and will continue to deteriorate on and off the court.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2018 1:10 pm 

Regular Reader wrote:
RFDC wrote:

Reader who you got Rockin Rod or Hurley? I'm going Strickland

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2018 1:10 pm 

Regular Reader wrote:
Magic Johnson was pretty good.

It's funny how he's taken for granted and then routinely ignored in these discussions

Pearl Washington was amazing as well.

Yes He was.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2018 5:19 pm 

pizza_Place: Obbies
Kyle Macy was good...Maravich was a highlight on network news and LSU game on radio with static and all....best college player Pete or Lew ...Lew hands down

I'm out.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2018 10:40 pm 
Site Admin

pizza_Place: Malnati's
Regular Reader wrote:
RFDC wrote:

Saw Isiah in high school and college.

As much as I dislike him the guy, I have to say he was in a class by himself in high school and was a stud at IU. They would have won at least one more title if he had stayed longer.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2018 7:42 am 

Last night against KU he change up his game for the betterment of his team!KU lost the game at the charity stripe. Whatever happened if you ain't shooting 70% from the line you ain't seeing much PT?

I'm out.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2018 7:52 am 
Site Admin

pizza_Place: Aurelio's
shakes wrote:
Regular Reader wrote:
RFDC wrote:

Me and you should be in the same support group for those early 80s DePaul teams.

I still contend to this day that Ray Meyer was the most overrated coach in CBB history and on the Mt. Rushmore of shitty coaches. His reliance on the 4 corner offense when his team of superior players would have a 2-4 point lead with 10 minutes left in a game was the blue print for all those losses.

Meyer was never a great game coach. I'm sure you remember him sitting on the bench as the Demons were blowing a big lead and just exhaling in an exaggerated manner.

His forte was being able to point a team for a big game. Of course, that was a lot easier when they were playing an Independent cupcake schedule and kicking the shit out of Duquense and Centenary and he could spend three weeks in practice focusing on Notre Dame. That was a luxury he didn't have when they got real good at the end and were in big TV games every other weekend.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2018 7:54 am 
Site Admin

Some guy told me the other day that this kid, Max Christie at Rolling Meadows is the best high school guard in Illinois history. He said he's so much better than Brunson it isn't even funny and that he will undoubtedly leave Rolling Meadows for one of those basketball academies.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2018 8:12 am 

Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
shakes wrote:
Regular Reader wrote:
RFDC wrote:

Meyer was never a great game coach. I'm sure you remember him sitting on the bench as the Demons were blowing a big lead and just exhaling in an exaggerated manner.

His forte was being able to point a team for a big game. Of course, that was a lot easier when they were playing an Independent cupcake schedule and kicking the shit out of Duquense and Centenary and he could spend three weeks in practice focusing on Notre Dame. That was a luxury he didn't have when they got real good at the end and were in big TV games every other weekend.

Ray's strong point was getting Chicago kids to go to DePaul...signature move was pulling up his pants to prevent them from falling to his ankles.....as for competition Western Michigan with Hirsch's Ricky Green and the Dayton Flyers with Jim Paxson

I'm out.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2018 8:19 am 

Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
Some guy told me the other day that this kid, Max Christie at Rolling Meadows is the best high school guard in Illinois history. He said he's so much better than Brunson it isn't even funny and that he will undoubtedly leave Rolling Meadows for one of those basketball academies.

Isiah ........Buckner.......Scheyer....Rose.... Doc......Cazzie....Schidler....this kid must be a bitch....have to watch him

I'm out.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2018 8:22 am 
Site Admin

Walt Williams Neck wrote:
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
shakes wrote:
Regular Reader wrote:
RFDC wrote:

Ray's strong point was getting Chicago kids to go to DePaul...signature move was pulling up his pants to prevent them from falling to his ankles.....as for competition Western Michigan with Hirsch's Ricky Green and the Dayton Flyers with Jim Paxson

Very disappointed, Walt. Rickey Green played at Michigan with John Robinson and lost to the undefeated Hoosiers in the all Big Ten final.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2018 8:40 am 

Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:

Isiah ........Buckner.......Scheyer....Rose.... Doc......Cazzie....Schidler....this kid must be a bitch....have to watch him
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
shakes wrote:
Regular Reader wrote:
RFDC wrote:

Very disappointed, Walt. Rickey Green played at Michigan with John Robinson and lost to the undefeated Hoosiers in the all Big Ten final.

don't be Marty Murray

I'm out.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2018 3:48 pm 

don't be Marty Murray

Are you referring to the Marty Murray that played for Phillips years ago?

PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2018 3:50 pm 

pizza_Place: John's
White players don't count guys...remake your lists.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2018 6:14 pm 

long time guy wrote:

don't be Marty Murray

yes

I'm out.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2018 6:22 pm 

long time guy wrote:

don't be Marty Murray

yes

Edit.

Last edited by long time guy on Wed Jan 24, 2018 6:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

long time guy wrote:

don't be Marty Murray

yes

I know Marty Murray. A true legend. His nephew Boom Boom is his Brother Larry's son (Formerly of the Oakland A's) and a childhood friend of mine. We've known each other since we were about 3 years old.

Marty hasn't been doing so hot lately but he is hanging in there.

long time guy wrote:

don't be Marty Murray

yes

Damn Submit button. Got to remember to stop hitting it

Last edited by long time guy on Wed Jan 24, 2018 6:24 pm, edited 2 times in total.

long time guy wrote:

don't be Marty Murray

yes

I know Marty Murray. A true legend. His nephew Boom Boom is his Brother Larry's son (Formerly of the Oakland A's) and a childhood friend of mine. We've known each other since we were about 3 years old.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2018 6:42 pm 

long time guy wrote:
long time guy wrote:

don't be Marty Murray

yes

Was outta HS by then .but CJ Kupec Oak Lawn and Roger Powell Sr were bad asses

I'm out.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2018 6:48 pm 

long time guy wrote:
long time guy wrote:

don't be Marty Murray

yes

Was outta HS by then .but CJ Kupec Oak Lawn and Roger Powell Sr were bad asses

Ok.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2018 1:53 pm 

I know they compare this kid to Steph Curry but when I watch him play I see Jimmer Fredette. Will have to watch more of him before I'm convinced of it.

Hope the Bulls don't draft him.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 102 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next