It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:22 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 11:15 pm 

pizza_Place: Vito and Nick's
The Big Ten remained steady, but attendance is down everywhere.

However:

"Purdue had the largest attendance increase (up 13,433 per game) going from 34,451 in 2016 to 47,884 in 2017. The Boilermakers won seven games for the first time since 2011."

Bernstein actually wrote about this today, too, but I just don't want to read it.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2018 12:17 am 

You can watch what, maybe 30 college games a week on tv now?

Which (along with personal interests in prep ball) contributed to my not really watching/caring about the NFL

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2018 12:19 am 

Plus, tailgating isn't as desirable as it once was.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2018 3:09 pm 

Regular Reader wrote:
You can watch what, maybe 30 college games a week on tv now?

Which (along with personal interests in prep ball) contributed to my not really watching/caring about the NFL

Agree and agree.

I miss tail-gaiting in our chapter room at 8:30 am on Saturdays. Or leaving the game at halftime to run home and get high and then go back and watch the Illini beat OSU every year.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2018 3:10 pm 

pizza_Place: John's
Gameday ticket sales aren't a major revenue driver. Ads $$ are. This article is irreverent.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2018 3:12 pm 

Caller Bob wrote:
Gameday ticket sales aren't a major revenue driver. Ads $$ are. This article is irreverent.

When the ticket sales are off a lot, it's a good chuck, especially since the concessions will suffer and because most (not all) athletic departments are running on a tight budget. I think most leagues share tv revenue, too.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2018 3:13 pm 

tommy wrote:
Caller Bob wrote:

When the ticket sales are off a lot, it's a good chuck, especially since the concessions will suffer and because most (not all) athletic departments are running on a tight budget. I think most leagues share tv revenue, too.

They give the tickets away or sell cheap to students. Only a handful allow alcohol sales. I don't think it's that big of chunk.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2018 3:14 pm 

Caller Bob wrote:

TV is more valuable but gameday ticket sales are important too.

The experience is in general better at home. I can't blame anyone who decides to just watch at home.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2018 3:15 pm 

Caller Bob wrote:
tommy wrote:
Caller Bob wrote:

They give the tickets away or sell cheap to students. Only a handful allow alcohol sales. I don't think it's that big of chunk.

The ticket increase at Purdue was worth something like $3 million to $5 million.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2018 3:21 pm 

Boilermaker Rick wrote:
Caller Bob wrote:
tommy wrote:
Caller Bob wrote:

The ticket increase at Purdue was worth something like $3 million to $5 million.

Weird..yet Brohm is getting outbid on players by Lovie.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2018 4:30 pm 

Boilermaker Rick wrote:
Caller Bob wrote:

The experience is in general better at home. I can't blame anyone who decides to just watch at home.

College game day experience is great.

I love going to ND at least once a year. Even NU, which doesn't really have the circuses of ND is a great experience.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2018 10:00 pm 

good dolphin wrote:
Boilermaker Rick wrote:
Caller Bob wrote:

I love going to ND at least once a year. Even NU, which doesn't really have the circuses of ND is a great experience.

Just how friendly and inclusive the Wildcats tailgating has been for years has always been a great thing. I always had a ball, and felt comfortable bringing my minor sons.

There will be years before they can appreciate just how wild the old "World's Largest Cocktail Party " used to be.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2018 10:04 pm 

pizza_Place: Nowhere
Haven been to a Ryan field since it was Dyche but I thhad no I. Great h go drag myself n for s game up there this year. Friend who is a Husker fan is bugging me to go. Might drag one of my boys too.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2018 11:49 pm 

Regular Reader wrote:

There will be years before they can appreciate just how wild the old "World's Largest Cocktail Party " used to be.

That thing was fucking nuts, but when I went, I was twelve or thirteen and with my dad and oldest brother, so I didn't do any imbibing. I was the only sober person in the city, though. The tailgaiting setup stretched for longer than the distance between Purdue's parking lot and the stadium--it went on forever. With all the RVs and tents, it was like the State Fair, though most of the rest of us were packed in tightly.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2018 11:50 pm 

Drunk Squirrel wrote:
Haven been to a Ryan field since it was Dyche but I thhad no I. Great h go drag myself n for s game up there this year. Friend who is a Husker fan is bugging me to go. Might drag one of my boys too.

I think the Inebriated Rodent has been havin' himself a lil' ol' tailgate while reading these here now boards....

PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2018 8:44 am 

tommy wrote:
Drunk Squirrel wrote:

I think the Inebriated Rodent has been havin' himself a lil' ol' tailgate while reading these here now boards....

Might of had a stroke.. Probably should get a MRI. And I’m really starting to think touch screens just are a bad idea for me in a general but especially on a phone sized basis.

Last edited by Drunk Squirrel on Fri Feb 16, 2018 8:51 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2018 8:46 am 

good dolphin wrote:
Boilermaker Rick wrote:
Caller Bob wrote:

I still love going to games but I can't help but enjoy it when there is a road game and the whole weekend isn't taken over by it.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2018 8:52 am 

Drunk Squirrel wrote:
I thhad no I. Great h go drag myself n for s game .

couldn't agree more.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2018 8:56 am 

Boilermaker Rick wrote:
good dolphin wrote:
Boilermaker Rick wrote:
Caller Bob wrote:

I still love going to games but I can't help but enjoy it when there is a road game and the whole weekend isn't taken over by it.

I make a day out of ND. There is no way it takes up a weekend.

NU is really just a few hours for me. I can leave 2 hours before kickoff, pick up my tailgate items on the way and be in one of the parking lots still with enough time. Then I'm back home in 20 minutes.

When I go to ND, the car is surrounded on the skyway by other cars going to ND, Purdue, MSU etc. It is kind of fun to see so many people rolling out in the morning for their various games.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2018 8:58 am 

tommy wrote:
Drunk Squirrel wrote:

Haven’t been to Ryan field since it was still Dyche Stadium (Holy shit what did I type, I’m just going to translate to what I know I wanted to type) but I think I might drag myself to a game up there this year as a Husker fan friend is bugging me to go. Might drag one of my sons too.

Been a while since I have seen a neurologist. Might be time to consider it again.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2018 9:36 am 

Drunk Squirrel wrote:
tommy wrote:
Drunk Squirrel wrote:

Might of had a stroke.. Probably should get a MRI. And I’m really starting to think touch screens just are a bad idea for me in a general but especially on a phone sized basis.

I can't type on those....I hate typing on them.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2018 9:39 am 

pizza_Place: Baranabyis
Drunk Squirrel wrote:

Kinda reads like Irish...

PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2018 9:57 am 

tommy wrote:
Drunk Squirrel wrote:
tommy wrote:
Drunk Squirrel wrote:

I can't type on those....I hate typing on them.

My kids have commandeered the computer. Might be time to get another.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2018 10:03 am 

Drunk Squirrel wrote:
tommy wrote:
Drunk Squirrel wrote:

Haven’t been to Ryan field since it was still Dyche Stadium (Holy shit what did I type, I’m just going to translate to what I know I wanted to type) but I think I might drag myself to a game up there this year as a Husker fan friend is bugging me to go. Might drag one of my sons too.

Been a while since I have seen a neurologist. Might be time to consider it again.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2018 10:06 am 

Drunk Squirrel wrote:

What's a computer?

PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2018 10:16 am 

America wrote:
Drunk Squirrel wrote:

I was thinking the same thing. I thought that that sumbitch might be swearin' at me in Gaelic.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2018 10:18 am 

Douchebag wrote:
Drunk Squirrel wrote:

What's a computer?

What's a truck?

PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2018 10:20 am 

tommy wrote:
America wrote:
Drunk Squirrel wrote:

I was thinking the same thing. I thought that that sumbitch might be swearin' at me in Gaelic.

Scottish. And let’s just say maybe I was.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2018 10:34 am 

Drunk Squirrel wrote:
tommy wrote:
America wrote:
Drunk Squirrel wrote:

While that made me laugh, I have to say that I found the message's insistence on the Scots anti-Catholic.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2018 10:53 am 

tommy wrote:
Drunk Squirrel wrote:
tommy wrote:
America wrote:
Drunk Squirrel wrote:

While that made me laugh, I have to say that I found the message's insistence on the Scots anti-Catholic.

Let’s just say my last pure scot ancestor changed his last name as to not be confused with his damn Irish catholic neighbor.