It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 3:40 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 796 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 23, 24, 25, 26, 27  Next
 Post subject: Re: Football 2018
PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2019 3:23 pm 

I now have another reason to root for LSU today.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2019 3:36 pm 

pizza_Place: Palermo's 95th
Boilermaker Rick wrote:
ZephMarshack wrote:
Glad we have confitmation from Tucker Carlson's sports site that a 2-for-1 is a completely fair offer.

Come on. A 2 for 1 is fair if you want to improve your schedule.

I just googled it. I don't even know what the daily caller is. I can find the video of the UCF AD somewhere else if it matters.

I don't think a 2 for 1 is particularly fair at all, unless you're a fan of UF getting the most advantageous deal for themselves and nothing else. An editorial full of little more than assertions from The Daily Caller doesn't really convince me otherwise.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2019 3:44 pm 

2 for 1s between a P5 and a non-P5 school is very common.

The video of the AD is in there. If you are attacking the politics of a sports article then you are desperate.

However here is a different article.
https://sports.yahoo.com/dan-mullen-floridas-2-1-series-offer-ucf-great-way-knights-toughen-schedule-223521713.html

USF took the same deal. UCF is too good for it though.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2019 3:54 pm 

2-for-1s being common doesn't make them "fair," particularly when you're talking about an instate school which has finished ranked above you.

I'm not doubting what happened; I was well aware of UCF turning down the offer when it transpired 2 weeks ago. I'm only attacking the politics insofar as it's a dumb article on a dumb site which basically says it's a fair deal because the author says so. And because it's not the first time I think you've cited The Daily Caller; I recall you being a fan of their scoop that Kaepernick priced himself out of multiple NFL offers because he saw himself as a race messiah.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2019 4:04 pm 

ZephMarshack wrote:
2-for-1s being common doesn't make them "fair," particularly when you're talking about an instate school which has finished ranked above you.

I'm not doubting what happened; I was well aware of UCF turning down the offer when it transpired 2 weeks ago. I'm only attacking the politics insofar as it's a dumb article on a dumb site which basically says it's a fair deal because the author says so. And because it's not the first time I think you've cited The Daily Caller; I recall you being a fan of their scoop that Kaepernick priced himself out of multiple NFL offers because he saw himself as a race messiah.

You sound like Trump. FAKE NEWS.

I don't know. I may have cited it before. Who cares? It was for the video in the article.

They can complain no one will schedule them but then you don't turn down a common arrangement between programs.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2019 4:11 pm 

Boilermaker Rick wrote:
ZephMarshack wrote:

I don't know. I may have cited it before. Who cares? It was for the video in the article.

They can complain no one will schedule them but then you don't turn down a common arrangement between programs.

Where have I said anything about fake news? Once again, I was fully aware about what happened with the offer when it happened, as opposed to learning about it just today. As I said though, I simply found the article you linked pretty dumb.

A "common" arrangement is not equivalent to a "fair" arrangement, particularly when this deal comes after 2 seasons where UCF was ranked above UF for the majority of the year. Rather than focusing on P5/non-P5 as the relevant classification, how about we discuss how common it is to demand 2 home games against a team that's had more recent success?

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2019 4:23 pm 

ZephMarshack wrote:
Boilermaker Rick wrote:
ZephMarshack wrote:

Where have I said anything about fake news? Once again, I was fully aware about what happened with the offer when it happened, as opposed to learning about it just today. As I said though, I simply found the article you linked pretty dumb.

A "common" arrangement is not equivalent to a "fair" arrangement, particularly when this deal comes after 2 seasons where UCF was ranked above UF for the majority of the year. Rather than focusing on P5/non-P5 as the relevant classification, how about we discuss how common it is to demand 2 home games against a team that's had more recent success?

I posted the article so people could see the video. You went all nuts because it was posted on a site you deem unfit. I assumed a sports article wouldn't get that treatment. I guess I was wrong.

It is very common for "better" teams from lesser conferences to do a 2 for 1. Most good non-P5 schools can't even get that. For instance, pretty much any good MAC school isn't getting one even against the bottom of the Big Ten.

There is a reason USF happily took a 2 for 1 and UCF having two great seasons doesn't suddenly change everything.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2019 4:37 pm 

Boilermaker Rick wrote:
I posted the article so people could see the video. You went all nuts because it was posted on a site you deem unfit. I assumed a sports article wouldn't get that treatment. I guess I was wrong.
I'm sorry I didn't read your mind about why you posted an old article from a dumb site and didn't immediately realize that you only cared about the video and not the arguments actually made in the article. I'm also sorry that for some reason you think my one line initial post calling Tucker Carlson's dumb sports site a dumb site is the equivalent of shouting fake news or "going nuts," even though I haven't denied anything factual at all as far as I can tell.

Quote:
It is very common for "better" teams from lesser conferences to do a 2 for 1. Most good non-P5 schools can't even get that. For instance, pretty much any good MAC school isn't getting one even against the bottom of the Big Ten.

There is a reason USF happily took a 2 for 1 and UCF having two great seasons doesn't suddenly change everything.

How many of those very common deals involve "better" teams that actually were top 10 in the country? Also couldn't one of the reasons USF happily took such a deal while UCF didn't have a bit to do with their respective national statuses? Wouldn't that be a relevant factor for determining the fairness of a given offer?

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2019 5:05 pm 

I posted another article to please you. I'm done talking about it.

There aren't many non-P5 teams in the top ten so asking for similar 2 for 1s is somewhat limited. However non-P5 teams from the MAC who were recently ranked still have to beg for a 2 for 1 and most get no home game. WMU is the latest example.

The point is still that UCF was offered a chance to greatly improve their schedule with a common arrangement. They can no longer say no one will schedule them.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2019 5:50 pm 

Boilermaker Rick wrote:
Thank goodness you're done making accusations about me going nuts or crying fake news.

Quote:
There aren't many non-P5 teams in the top ten so asking for similar 2 for 1s is somewhat limited. However non-P5 teams from the MAC who were recently ranked still have to beg for a 2 for 1 and most get no home game. WMU is the latest example.

The point is still that UCF was offered a chance to greatly improve their schedule with a common arrangement. They can no longer say no one will schedule them.

So UCF's situation is simultaneously "very common" yet the number of actual comparable examples is "somewhat limited." I'm going to go ahead and stick with my assessment that Florida demanding a 2 for 1 for a team ranked ahead of them for nearly 2 years at the time of the offer was not in fact fair, despite how common it is for P5 schools to throw their weight around with non-P5 schools.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2019 8:09 pm 

pizza_Place: Rosati's
Pulling for Ohio State is weird and awkward

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2019 8:32 pm 

Bevo going after the bulldog was great :lol:

Frank Coztansa wrote:
I have MANY years of experience in trying to appreciate steaming piles of dogshit.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2019 8:33 pm 

ZephMarshack wrote:
Boilermaker Rick wrote:
Thank goodness you're done making accusations about me going nuts or crying fake news.

Quote:

So UCF's situation is simultaneously "very common" yet the number of actual comparable examples is "somewhat limited." I'm going to go ahead and stick with my assessment that Florida demanding a 2 for 1 for a team ranked ahead of them for nearly 2 years at the time of the offer was not in fact fair, despite how common it is for P5 schools to throw their weight around with non-P5 schools.

Non-P5 teams are not often top ten so asking for similar examples is a flawed request. I already pointed out WMU not getting 1 for 1s though. I'll also point out Boise State taking a 2 for 1 with Oregon. So even with a limited pool of teams I provided 2.

Your point seems to be that a 2 for 1 is unfair. Even if it is then don't turn it down and improve your SOS.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2019 8:43 pm 

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2019 8:55 pm 

pizza_Place: Angelo's Pizza in Downers Grove
Taco Down wrote:

What are his players and coaches felony records?

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2019 8:55 pm 

Still not seeing any team as good as Bama or Clemson.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2019 9:03 pm 

pizza_Place: giordanos
Big Chicagoan wrote:
Still not seeing any team as good as Bama or Clemson.

No they seem to have got it right.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2019 9:30 pm 

pizza_Place: Clamburger's
Lil'Jordan Humphrey is a very southern name.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2019 9:35 pm 

Boilermaker Rick wrote:
ZephMarshack wrote:
Boilermaker Rick wrote:

Quote:

Non-P5 teams are not often top ten so asking for similar examples is a flawed request. I already pointed out WMU not getting 1 for 1s though. I'll also point out Boise State taking a 2 for 1 with Oregon. So even with a limited pool of teams I provided 2.

Your point seems to be that a 2 for 1 is unfair. Even if it is then don't turn it down and improve your SOS.

You tried to suggest it was completely common and fair to offer a 2 for 1 yet are now turning around and saying UCF's situation is anomalous and asking for comparisons is a flawed request. If it's so anomalous, than why are other instances of P5 schools bullying lesser ranked non-P5s the least bit relevant for assessing the fairness or commonness of UF's offer?

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2019 10:16 pm 

pizza_Place: John's
So much for Georgia's bellyaching!

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2019 10:18 pm 

Caller Bob wrote:

The standard SEC media spin will just be that they weren't as motivated cause they missed the playoffs as it's impossible for any SEC team or the conference as a whole to ever be overrated.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2019 10:19 pm 

So much for an 8 team playoff.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2019 10:50 pm 

pizza_Place: Pizza Villa in DeKalb.
This would probably be insanely hard to pull off but it would be awesome if they could do it..... I would love to see some kind of euro soccer league conference promotion and demotion. There are 5 power conferences and 5 non power conferences. Each one has a geographical match between the 2 groups. I would say take the worst team in each 5 power conference and have them replaced by the top team in each non power conference. Non-conference games would remain the same and this would only be for football. Idk all the tie breakers but this is what next year could look like.

Buffalo -> Big 10 Illinois -> MAC
UCF -> SEC Arkansas ->AAC
Applachian St -> ACC Louisville ->Sun Belt
Fresno St -> Pac 12 Oregon State -> Mountain West
UAB-> Big 12 Kansas -> Conference USA

To take things up a notch you could even have those teams face off as a bowl game with the winner taking the power 5 seat.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2019 10:54 pm 

Urlacher's missing neck wrote:
This would probably be insanely hard to pull off but it would be awesome if they could do it..... I would love to see some kind of euro soccer league conference promotion and demotion. There are 5 power conferences and 5 non power conferences. Each one has a geographical match between the 2 groups. I would say take the worst team in each 5 power conference and have them replaced by the top team in each non power conference. Non-conference games would remain the same and this would only be for football. Idk all the tie breakers but this is what next year could look like.

Buffalo -> Big 10 Illinois -> MAC
UCF -> SEC Arkansas ->AAC
Applachian St -> ACC Louisville ->Sun Belt
Fresno St -> Pac 12 Oregon State -> Mountain West
UAB-> Big 12 Kansas -> Conference USA

To take things up a notch you could even have those teams face off as a bowl game with the winner taking the power 5 seat.

Unless there's been a change, even the IRS Code would make that impossible. But I don't disagree with you in the theory.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2019 11:05 pm 

pizza_Place: Clamburger's
Big Chicagoan wrote:
So much for an 8 team playoff.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2019 12:12 am 

Caller Bob wrote:

This game is ending poorly

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2019 9:20 am 

ZephMarshack wrote:
You tried to suggest it was completely common and fair to offer a 2 for 1 yet are now turning around and saying UCF's situation is anomalous and asking for comparisons is a flawed request. If it's so anomalous, than why are other instances of P5 schools bullying lesser ranked non-P5s the least bit relevant for assessing the fairness or commonness of UF's offer?
That isn't what I'm saying. You are creating a very narrow criteria based on a completely unsubstantiated criteria. Your point is basically "UCF had a two year run as a top team and therefore for the rest of time every school should want to play home and homes with them" when it just doesn't fit with the reality of how college scheduling goes and that UCF wasn't any more disrespected by the offer than the many other schools who were nationally elite and still have to accept that the financial implications of a 1 and 1 stop those scheduling. Florida offered them a chance to play them three times, one of which was at home. To turn that down because you feel you deserve to schedule on an equal level with a team that has 2 national titles in the last 15 years is unbelievable.

Let's go over the list of teams that weren't from the Power 5 that made the BCS/Big 6 bowl games.
Utah: Joined the Pac 12 4 years later after making a BCS bowl so scheduling can't be compared.
Boise State: Still having to sign 2 for 1 deals with Pac 12 schools even after being arguably the best Non-P5 program of all time.
BYU: Similar to Boise State. They just signed a 2 for 1 with USC. Now, they do have 1 and 1's scheduled with Arkansas and Washington so it can be done.
TCU: Joined the Big 12 so similar to Utah that makes it tough.
WMU: They did get a home and home with Syracuse but otherwise they can't even get a P5 school to go there without a 2 for 1 and it is unlikely to change.

So, basically, outside of BYU, who kind of operates as like a poor mans Notre Dame of the West Coast, it isn't very often that a non-P5 who is really good at the time can demand top programs schedule them a 1 and 1. That's just the reality. Most Big Ten schools couldn't get a home and home with Florida either.

So, there I gave you a pretty good history of it, including many similar examples. I look forward to the reply of "Yeah, but none of those schools you mentioned are in the state of Florida!".

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2019 10:40 am 

Boilermaker Rick wrote:
That isn't what I'm saying. You are creating a very narrow criteria based on a completely unsubstantiated criteria. Your point is basically "UCF had a two year run as a top team and therefore for the rest of time every school should want to play home and homes with them" when it just doesn't fit with the reality of how college scheduling goes and that UCF wasn't any more disrespected by the offer than the many other schools who were nationally elite and still have to accept that the financial implications of a 1 and 1 stop those scheduling.
I don't think pointing to UCF's actual status at the time of the offer is the least bit arbitrary or unsubstantiated. And at no point have I come anywhere close to suggesting some nonsense about "the rest of time."

Again, you're simultaneously trying to say UCF's status as a non-P5 school is extremely relevant and justifies practically any 2 for 1 deal a P5 school like Florida could ever make while waving away their actual ranking and recent track record as completely irrelevant and arbitrary.
Quote:
Florida offered them a chance to play them three times, one of which was at home. To turn that down because you feel you deserve to schedule on an equal level with a team that has 2 national titles in the last 15 years is unbelievable.
So Florida winning a title 10 years ago is extremely relevant and makes any negative assessment of their offer "unbelievable," but my bringing up UCF's actual position relative to Florida in the present is arbitrary and unfair. Got it.

Quote:
Boise State: Still having to sign 2 for 1 deals with Pac 12 schools even after being arguably the best Non-P5 program of all time.
Not with Washington State, Florida State, or Oregon State. Also at the height of their relevance during the Peterson era, they'd still get neutral site games against P5 schools and home and homes with places like Washington.
Quote:
TCU: Joined the Big 12 so similar to Utah that makes it tough.
Had a "neutral site" game in Arlington with Oregon State before they joined the Big 12. They likewise had secured a home and home with LSU before they joined the Big 12, but that was switched to a one shot deal at Cowboy Stadium too.
Quote:
WMU: They did get a home and home with Syracuse but otherwise they can't even get a P5 school to go there without a 2 for 1 and it is unlikely to change.
Their deal with Syracuse strikes me as more evidence for my position more than yours, particularly since Syracuse agreed to that 1 and 1 at the height of WMU's comparatively shorter period of success than UCF. Now if WMU had continued undefeated through the entirety of the regular season last year and was still getting hit with 2 for 1s, maybe you'd have a point.

Quote:
So, basically, outside of BYU, who kind of operates as like a poor mans Notre Dame of the West Coast, it isn't very often that a non-P5 who is really good at the time can demand top programs schedule them a 1 and 1. That's just the reality. Most Big Ten schools couldn't get a home and home with Florida either.
It seems to me then an obvious conclusion to draw could be that Florida is just full of crap when it comes to scheduling nonconference opponents, not that UCF was especially in the wrong for turning down the offer they did make. If anything, this entire exercise has simply reinforced my position that Florida's offer, however common it may be for P5 schools to throw around their weight, was not particularly fair at all.

Quote:
So, there I gave you a pretty good history of it, including many similar examples. I look forward to the reply of "Yeah, but none of those schools you mentioned are in the state of Florida!".
No if anything I believe Florida's offer was far too generous to UCF. They should have offered a 4 for 1 because Tim Tebow played for them and that's far more relevant than anything either school has done lately.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2019 10:57 am 

My God. 2 for 1s are common for teams like UCF. I showed virtually every other similar situation has those teams either moving up to the P5 or accepting them.

They turned it down. Hopefully they find another way to improve their schedule. They can't say no one will schedule them and you know it so now you are trying to change it to the idea that 2 for 1s are simply not equal and to that I say "oh well".

So like you cited Auburn last year proving they deserved a playoff spot does losing to the third best SEC team this year show they didn't?

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2019 11:11 am 

Lincoln Riley extended and pay bumped; I guess all the current NFL openings look like shit.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 796 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 23, 24, 25, 26, 27  Next