It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 6:56 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 796 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 23, 24, 25, 26, 27
 Post subject: Re: Football 2018
PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2019 11:20 am 

pizza_Place: Palermo's 95th
Boilermaker Rick wrote:
My God. 2 for 1s are common for teams like UCF. I showed virtually every other similar situation has those teams either moving up to the P5 or accepting them.
And virtually all of those situations also included agreements for home and homes too, even teams with clearly less success than UCF like WMU. And of course, we're still left with the rather difficult task of defining "teams like UCF," as it's clearly inadequate to just lump them in with every single other P5 team as you yourself have admitted about the rarity of their accomplishments, yet you also get angry when I try to cite the relevance of said accomplishments for assessing an offer like Florida's.
Quote:
They turned it down. Hopefully they find another way to improve their schedule. They can't say no one will schedule them and you know it so now you are trying to change it to the idea that 2 for 1s are simply not equal and to that I say "oh well".
You said it was a perfectly fair offer and have been spending the rest of the discussion trying to argue that commonness=fairness, despite UCF's accomplishments themselves being uncommon and despite other non-P5 schools in fact receiving home and home offers from P5 schools.

Quote:
So like you cited Auburn last year proving they deserved a playoff spot does losing to the third best SEC team this year show they didn't?

:lol: THERE IT IS. No, it would obviously be completely unfair to extrapolate anything from LSU's victory over a clearly depressed UCF team, just like we definitely couldn't say anything about UCF's win last year because Auburn was so darn depressed about not making the playoff.

And of course, if UCF did win, we also couldn't say anything at all about how we rated them all year; they could undefeated for 10 straight seasons and defeat an SEC team in a bowl game of each of them, but they would never be worthy of the playoffs because seasons are independent events and because UCF didn't do enough to improve their schedule by agreeing to enough totally fair 2 for 1s.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2019 11:36 am 

Other teams probably would do a 1 and 1 with UCF just like other teams did with the ones mentioned. The point is all of those teams weren't insulted by a 2 for 1 offer either.

It was a fair offer and it was fair for them to turn it down. They've had two great years. It doesn't mean they suddenly deserve to be treated differently than fellow conference member USF by Florida. If UCF wanted to improve their SOS they do a deal that is quite common even if it isn't completely equal.

As for the loss in the bowl game I only mentioned it because you often cited the Auburn game last year. I've always said that was flawed. Be logically consistent or you sound like a Daily Caller writer.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2019 11:54 am 

Boilermaker Rick wrote:
Other teams probably would do a 1 and 1 with UCF just like other teams did with the ones mentioned. The point is all of those teams weren't insulted by a 2 for 1 offer either.
What? Boise State's AD complained about the quality of offers they were getting all the time at the height of their relevance.
Quote:
It was a fair offer and it was fair for them to turn it down. They've had two great years. It doesn't mean they suddenly deserve to be treated differently than fellow conference member USF by Florida. If UCF wanted to improve their SOS they do a deal that is quite common even if it isn't completely equal.
So all non-P5 schools do in fact deserve to be treated alike? Or at least all members of a conference? You said Florida probably wouldn't even do home and homes with some Big 10 schools, so would a 2 for 1 offer for Ohio State be fair as well?
Quote:
As for the loss in the bowl game I only mentioned it because you often cited the Auburn game last year. I've always said that was flawed. Be logically consistent or you sound like a Daily Caller writer.
I argued for UCF's inclusion last year before they even beat Auburn and I'm pretty sure I only cited that win as being a bit problematic for the logic deployed again this year that they couldn't hang with a top 10 P5 team. This is literally what I said to you, in the midst of your conclusion that UCF beating Auburn was just a nice win and nothing more:
Quote:
As it is, it seems to me to be a situation where any loss by UCF in bowl game will be used to demonstrate they didn't belong, whereas any win by them will just be a nice story that doesn't mean anything. Seems like loading the deck to me.
And it seems to me you're doing exactly what I predicted, after of course being all agnostic about whether their victory last year could tell us anything at all.

Now if you want to use results of bowl games to make judgments about teams' worthiness in general and say UCF may have been overrated and/or LSU underrated, be my guest, but I think the intensity of any conclusions you draw from that game would have to be a whole lot weaker than the ones you'd make about Notre Dame-Clemson, Georgia-Texas, and Michigan-Florida.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2019 12:10 pm 

ZephMarshack wrote:
What? Boise State's AD complained about the quality of offers they were getting all the time at the height of their relevance.
Boise State just accepted a 2 for 1 with Oregon.
ZephMarshack wrote:
So all non-P5 schools do in fact deserve to be treated alike? Or at least all members of a conference? You said Florida probably wouldn't even do home and homes with some Big 10 schools, so would a 2 for 1 offer for Ohio State be fair as well?
There is no reason to answer these random questions. The fact is that 2 for 1s are incredibly common for all non-P5 schools to play a P5 school, including those who have been ranked or made BCS/Big 6 bowl games.

ZephMarshack wrote:
Quote:
I argued for UCF's inclusion last year before they even beat Auburn and I'm pretty sure I only cited that win as being a bit problematic for the logic deployed again this year that they couldn't hang with a top 10 P5 team. This is literally what I said to you, in the midst of your conclusion that UCF beating Auburn was just a nice win and nothing more:
Quote:
As it is, it seems to me to be a situation where any loss by UCF in bowl game will be used to demonstrate they didn't belong, whereas any win by them will just be a nice story that doesn't mean anything. Seems like loading the deck to me.
And it seems to me you're doing exactly what I predicted, after of course being all agnostic about whether their victory last year could tell us anything at all.

Now if you want to use results of bowl games to make judgments about teams' worthiness in general and say UCF may have been overrated and/or LSU underrated, be my guest, but I think the intensity of any conclusions you draw from that game would have to be a whole lot weaker than the ones you'd make about Notre Dame-Clemson, Georgia-Texas, and Michigan-Florida.
I'm not doing anything. I don't view UCF any different because they lost yesterday. You have often cited the Auburn win last year so I'm asking if the same is true of the loss to the third best SEC team?

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2019 12:37 pm 

Boilermaker Rick wrote:
Boise State just accepted a 2 for 1 with Oregon.
And they're not nearly as relevant at the moment as they were 8-10 years ago, so this is beside the point.
Quote:
There is no reason to answer these random questions. The fact is that 2 for 1s are incredibly common for all non-P5 schools to play a P5 school, including those who have been ranked or made BCS/Big 6 bowl games.
Again, you have yet to demonstrate the commonness this kind of offer for a team in the middle of success comparable to UCF, have yet to demonstrate that said commonness entail fairness, and continue to slip between all P5 schools being alike and UCF being so unique that it's pointless to look for examples anyway. I also don't see how it's random to bring up OSU and another Big 10 school since you literally just equated UCF to another team in their conference.
Quote:
I'm not doing anything. I don't view UCF any different because they lost yesterday. You have often cited the Auburn win last year so I'm asking if the same is true of the loss to the third best SEC team?
Again, please review how I've "cited" the Auburn result, rather than just saying I mentioned it. I didn't view UCF differently since they I argued at length they belonged in the playoff last year long before they beat Auburn. It sure seems to me you are currently trying to draw conclusions from bowl games, despite your protestations.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2019 12:53 pm 

ZephMarshack wrote:
Again, you have yet to demonstrate the commonness this kind of offer for a team in the middle of success comparable to UCF, have yet to demonstrate that said commonness entail fairness, and continue to slip between all P5 schools being alike and UCF being so unique that it's pointless to look for examples anyway. I also don't see how it's random to bring up OSU and another Big 10 school since you literally just equated UCF to another team in their conference.
I have been willing to only use quality non-P5 teams. Your standard doesn't even count Boise State, which has won 10+ games in 16 of the last 20 years and has 8+ wins every year in the past 20 years. This is compared to UCF which was winless 4 years ago, and had a losing record the year after before they had a great two year run. The fact that you don't even consider Boise State similar to UCF shows just how flawed your argument is. Boise State is the gold standard for what a non-P5 powerhouse is especially since TCU and Utah don't really count any more.

So, let me ask it this way. Can you name the non-P5 teams that are comparable to UCF? We can then see if they are willing to accept 2 for 1 offers or not. To me, the first two on that list are Boise State and BYU. Guess what? Those two teams have recently signed 2 for 1 deals. I am interested if there are teams that I missed and I look forward to you coming up with them so we can check.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2019 12:59 pm 

I saw a lot of douches wearing sleeveless hoodies under their uniforms with the hood hanging out of the jersey in hot weather. I hope this isn't some fashion trend as it is stupid thing for a football player to wear. The hood is just begging to be grabbed for when tackling.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2019 1:39 pm 

Boilermaker Rick wrote:
I have been willing to only use quality non-P5 teams. Your standard doesn't even count Boise State, which has won 10+ games in 16 of the last 20 years and has 8+ wins every year in the past 20 years. This is compared to UCF which was winless 4 years ago, and had a losing record the year after before they had a great two year run. The fact that you don't even consider Boise State similar to UCF shows just how flawed your argument is. Boise State is the gold standard for what a non-P5 powerhouse is especially since TCU and Utah don't really count any more.
I'm happy to consider Boise State from around the time they beat Oklahoma and were ranked in the top 10 comparable to UCF. If you can find them agreeing to 2 for 1s in that time span, go for it. I believe they were offered a 2 for 1 with Nebraska, which they turned down for the exact same reason UCF just turned down Florida.
Quote:
So, let me ask it this way. Can you name the non-P5 teams that are comparable to UCF? We can then see if they are willing to accept 2 for 1 offers or not. To me, the first two on that list are Boise State and BYU. Guess what? Those two teams have recently signed 2 for 1 deals. I am interested if there are teams that I missed and I look forward to you coming up with them so we can check.
Again, you're the one who made the initial assertion that this was a fair deal. You agree that few if any non-P5 teams have had the kind of success that they've had over the last 2 years, yet keep wanting to bring in cases of teams agreeing to 2 for 1s well after the peak of their success. This doesn't demonstrate anything about the fairness or unfairness of Florida's offer to a UCF team that at that point in time had been better than them for going on two seasons.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2019 1:56 pm 

ZephMarshack wrote:
I'm happy to consider Boise State from around the time they beat Oklahoma and were ranked in the top 10 comparable to UCF. If you can find them agreeing to 2 for 1s in that time span, go for it. I believe they were offered a 2 for 1 with Nebraska, which they turned down for the exact same reason UCF just turned down Florida.
Sure! https://msuspartans.com/news/2010/10/29/Spartans_Announce_Football_Series_With_Boise_State.aspx This was announced the same calendar year that Boise State won the Fiesta Bowl and finished 4th in the country.
ZephMarshack wrote:
Again, you're the one who made the initial assertion that this was a fair deal. You agree that few if any non-P5 teams have had the kind of success that they've had over the last 2 years, yet keep wanting to bring in cases of teams agreeing to 2 for 1s well after the peak of their success. This doesn't demonstrate anything about the fairness or unfairness of Florida's offer to a UCF team that at that point in time had been better than them for going on two seasons.
It is a fair deal. It isn't an equal deal but that is pretty common given the differences between the two.

But, even this isn't true any more. You accepted Boise State as a comparable situation in 2010. Guess who signed a 2 for 1 deal in 2010? Boise State.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2019 2:21 pm 

Boilermaker Rick wrote:
ZephMarshack wrote:
Sure! https://msuspartans.com/news/2010/10/29/Spartans_Announce_Football_Series_With_Boise_State.aspx This was announced the same calendar year that Boise State won the Fiesta Bowl and finished 4th in the country.
ZephMarshack wrote:
It is a fair deal. It isn't an equal deal but that is pretty common given the differences between the two.

But, even this isn't true any more. You accepted Boise State as a comparable situation in 2010. Guess who signed a 2 for 1 deal in 2010? Boise State.

You are correct, you've finally highlighted a relevant comparison. Of course, that same Boise State team also turned down Nebraska for a 2 for 1 offer, so we have a case of one offer being accepted and one rejected for a team comparable to UCF.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2019 3:12 pm 

ZephMarshack wrote:
You are correct, you've finally highlighted a relevant comparison. Of course, that same Boise State team also turned down Nebraska for a 2 for 1 offer, so we have a case of one offer being accepted and one rejected for a team comparable to UCF.
I highlighted other relevant comparisons, but you kept on shrinking the valid window to literally include from what I can gather, Boise State for a 4 year window, and TCU but TCU effectively joined the Big 12 almost immediately after their 2 year run that was similar to UCF so we really can't use them for an example either. So, that means you gave me one team, for a few years only, and they STILL did exactly what you think UCF shouldn't have done because they were good.

So yeah, it's a big deal when the only viable comparison based on your incredibly limited criteria does EXACTLY what UCF was insulted by being asked to do by Florida.

Anyways, good luck to UCF. Hopefully they find a way to improve their schedule in a way they deem acceptable but the concept that no one will play them is done when you turn down the same deal that the last non-P5 team accepted with MSU.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2019 3:41 pm 

Boilermaker Rick wrote:
ZephMarshack wrote:
I highlighted other relevant comparisons, but you kept on shrinking the valid window to literally include from what I can gather, Boise State for a 4 year window, and TCU but TCU effectively joined the Big 12 almost immediately after their 2 year run that was similar to UCF so we really can't use them for an example either. So, that means you gave me one team, for a few years only, and they STILL did exactly what you think UCF shouldn't have done because they were good.
Nah I talked about 1 and 1s that both Boise State and TCU pre-Big 12 got as well. You ignored those more favorable deals that BSU and TCU got and also kept trying to expand the window of comparison to either all non-P5 schools or non-P5 schools that were more successful years ago or schools in UCF's conference with a fraction of their current success like USF.

Quote:
So yeah, it's a big deal when the only viable comparison based on your incredibly limited criteria does EXACTLY what UCF was insulted by being asked to do by Florida.

Anyways, good luck to UCF. Hopefully they find a way to improve their schedule in a way they deem acceptable but the concept that no one will play them is done when you turn down the same deal that the last non-P5 team accepted with MSU.
But as I noted, UCF also followed in the footsteps of Boise State by turning down the first 2 for 1 at the height of their success as well, and the complaints made by Boise State's AD at the time were echoed by UCF's (and it's easy to find the exact same kind of criticism of Boise State for turning down Nebraska that you're making right now about UCF). Given how you seem to think Boise State is now the gold standard of non-P5 schools, it doesn't look like turning down a 2 for 1 from a P5 school and complaining about their playing politics is as disastrous to UCF's prospects or scheduling as you suggest.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2019 3:58 pm 

ZephMarshack wrote:
Nah I talked about 1 and 1s that both Boise State and TCU pre-Big 12 got as well. You ignored those more favorable deals that BSU and TCU got and also kept trying to expand the window of comparison to either all non-P5 schools or non-P5 schools that were more successful years ago or schools in UCF's conference with a fraction of their current success like USF.
I ignored them because it isn't relevant. UCF wanted to strengthen their schedule and claimed no one would schedule them. Florida offered them 3 games, in an arrangement that is fairly common even among the best non-P5 teams. You literally narrowed it down to one team, during a 4 year stretch, that would be a "valid comparison" and that team did a 2 for 1! :lol:

Quote:

ZephMarshack wrote:
But as I noted, UCF also followed in the footsteps of Boise State by turning down the first 2 for 1 at the height of their success as well, and the complaints made by Boise State's AD at the time were echoed by UCF's (and it's easy to find the exact same kind of criticism of Boise State for turning down Nebraska that you're making right now about UCF). Given how you seem to think Boise State is now the gold standard of non-P5 schools, it doesn't look like turning down a 2 for 1 from a P5 school and complaining about their playing politics is as disastrous to UCF's prospects or scheduling as you suggest.
TCU is probably the gold standard of a non-P5 school but they are no longer a non-P5 school. Boise State is second unless you consider BYU to be it in the strange niche they have where they are kind of like the West Coast, not as good Notre Dame.

I have no problem with UCF scheduling what they feel is best. If they would rather have Florida A&M and FIU and Florida Atlantic from the FBS over a 2 for 1 over Florida then go right ahead. Don't complain then when your strength of schedule is horrible. It looks like they got Louisville to do it and hopefully that works out well for them.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2019 1:39 pm 

Jalen Hurts to Oklahoma. Probably his best landing spot.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2019 2:08 pm 

pizza_Place: Vito and Nick's
Regular Reader wrote:
Jalen Hurts to Oklahoma. Probably his best landing spot.

Just saw that. Should work out for him. I think they have a backup who will be in his fifth year this year. He must be cursing his choice.

Besides Texas and Ok. State, they may have another easy schedule, depending on how the other Big 12 teams are. Iowa State, Texas Tech, and West Virginia all at home. The slow Big 12 defense should help him since he makes the occasional stupid decision, sometimes moves in slo-mo, and can't rifle the ball downfield.

I still can't believe Texas beat Georgia.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2019 2:19 pm 

pizza_Place: Vito and Nick's
Boilermaker Rick wrote:
TCU is probably the gold standard of a non-P5 school but they are no longer a non-P5 school. Boise State is second

They used to have a great rivalry. Met in bowl games several times; they were great games. Too bad they weren't able to continue it.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 796 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 23, 24, 25, 26, 27