It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 3:06 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 246 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2018 2:23 pm 

Gotta think Dakich is trolling and full of shit....but he is getting quite the response on twitter

Frank Coztansa wrote:
I have MANY years of experience in trying to appreciate steaming piles of dogshit.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2018 2:45 pm 

He had a similar tweet about Painter being gone.

With that said I am quite concerned.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2018 2:50 pm 

Boilermaker Rick wrote:

Based on what you are hearing or just a gut feeling?

Frank Coztansa wrote:
I have MANY years of experience in trying to appreciate steaming piles of dogshit.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2018 3:07 pm 

RFDC wrote:
Boilermaker Rick wrote:

Gut feeling. Too much confidence from Louisville.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2018 8:07 am 

Boilermaker Rick wrote:
RFDC wrote:
Boilermaker Rick wrote:

I feel a lot better today. People will be shocked at the extension he will be offered. The draw home may be too much but he will be turning down a top ten salary to do it unless Louisville matches it.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2018 9:59 am 

lot of consternation over possibly losing a 5-6 coach whose team underperformed through most of the year

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2018 10:06 am 

good dolphin wrote:
lot of consternation over possibly losing a 5-6 coach whose team underperformed through most of the year
They didn't underperform this year. They took a strange path to the record they should have had. This was going to be the down year. If he stays they will be very good next year.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2018 12:10 pm 

Boilermaker Rick wrote:
good dolphin wrote:
They didn't underperform this year. They took a strange path to the record they should have had. This was going to be the down year. If he stays they will be very good next year.

They most definitely underperformed this year. They lost 3 straight home games at the beginning of the year that were all very winnable. They got hammered by a mediocre Minnesota team that has 2 wins in conference. At best they will have exactly the same record as last year. Year two under a good coach like Brohm should be better than year 1.

Frank Coztansa wrote:

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2018 12:56 pm 

Boilermaker Rick wrote:
good dolphin wrote:

How many games did they lose straight up as a favorite?

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2018 1:00 pm 

RFDC wrote:
Boilermaker Rick wrote:
good dolphin wrote:

They most definitely underperformed this year. They lost 3 straight home games at the beginning of the year that were all very winnable. They got hammered by a mediocre Minnesota team that has 2 wins in conference. At best they will have exactly the same record as last year. Year two under a good coach like Brohm should be better than year 1.
No, this was always the down year. They lost virtually their whole defense from last year. The recruiting classes that the previous coach was bringing in were at the very bottom of the Big Ten.

They also beat 3 ranked teams. Trade out those three wins for EMU, Minnesota, and I guess Wisconsin and it's still the same.

The EMU and Minnesota losses were pretty bad but the season as a whole wasn't expected to be much better than hopefully a bowl team.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2018 1:03 pm 

good dolphin wrote:
Boilermaker Rick wrote:
good dolphin wrote:

I don't know. What was your prediction for number of wins at the start of the year? All I seem to remember was you saying that Northwestern would be a really good bet to beat them in week 1. I can't imagine you expected this team to be 8-4. I know I didn't.

If this team is underperforming then you should be really high on them for next year.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2018 1:06 pm 

pizza_Place: nick n vito's
I'd call Louisville a lateral move, maybe backwards. Dumb move if true.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2018 1:06 pm 

Boilermaker Rick wrote:
spanky wrote:
Purdue could easily go 4-8 this year, give or take a game.

No doubt. Most Purdue fans wouldn't be shocked if that happened. It gets better after this.

Just so no one says I am just saying this now, I said this on September 1st.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2018 1:13 pm 

Boilermaker Rick wrote:
RFDC wrote:
Boilermaker Rick wrote:
good dolphin wrote:

No, this was always the down year. They lost virtually their whole defense from last year. The recruiting classes that the previous coach was bringing in were at the very bottom of the Big Ten.

They also beat 3 ranked teams. Trade out those three wins for EMU, Minnesota, and I guess Wisconsin and it's still the same.

The EMU and Minnesota losses were pretty bad but the season as a whole wasn't expected to be much better than hopefully a bowl team.

The fact that they beat 3 ranked teams just underscores the fact that they underperformed on a whole this year. They were capable of much more than 7-6.

They did have to reload on D a lot, but they brought back a ton on offense.

If they lose to Indiana ( which I dont think will happen) then they have to be considered as underperforming on the year.

Frank Coztansa wrote:

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2018 1:22 pm 

RFDC wrote:
The fact that they beat 3 ranked teams just underscores the fact that they underperformed on a whole this year. They were capable of much more than 7-6.

They did have to reload on D a lot, but they brought back a ton on offense.

If they lose to Indiana ( which I dont think will happen) then they have to be considered as underperforming on the year.
To put it plainly, I was going to be happy with just making a bowl game this year. There were big concerns about them this year. That still is possible. They took a strange route to get there though.

They could have pretty easily had a better season than they did but I expected this to be a down year from last year so if they match the record of that team I won't consider it underperforming.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2018 1:47 pm 

Boilermaker Rick wrote:
Boilermaker Rick wrote:
spanky wrote:

No doubt. Most Purdue fans wouldn't be shocked if that happened. It gets better after this.

the Northwestern game occurred on August 30.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2018 1:55 pm 

good dolphin wrote:
Boilermaker Rick wrote:
Boilermaker Rick wrote:
spanky wrote:

What is your point? Do you think a last second loss to a team that won 10 games the previous year made me suddenly feel the season was going to be a bad one?

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2018 1:55 pm 

Boilermaker Rick wrote:
good dolphin wrote:
Boilermaker Rick wrote:
good dolphin wrote:

I don't know. What was your prediction for number of wins at the start of the year? All I seem to remember was you saying that Northwestern would be a really good bet to beat them in week 1. I can't imagine you expected this team to be 8-4. I know I didn't.

If this team is underperforming then you should be really high on them for next year.

Northwestern is great both as a dog and on the road. I will regularly play that combination.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2018 1:58 pm 

Boilermaker Rick wrote:
good dolphin wrote:
Boilermaker Rick wrote:
Boilermaker Rick wrote:
spanky wrote:

What is your point? Do you think a last second loss to a team that won 10 games the previous year made me suddenly feel the season was going to be a bad one?

the point is that you are using a quote two days after a disappointing loss to reflect your pre season estimations of the team. I don't believe that is a time for a clear eyed assessment.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2018 2:08 pm 

good dolphin wrote:
the point is that you are using a quote two days after a disappointing loss to reflect your pre season estimations of the team. I don't believe that is a time for a clear eyed assessment.
If anything that game should have raised my expectations given how close it was with Purdue making a lot of correctable mistakes.

The point still remains that I doubt you or anyone expected them to be an 8 or 9 win team. I'll post my preseason prediction next August though to avoid this in the future.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2018 2:31 pm 

Boilermaker Rick wrote:
good dolphin wrote:
If anything that game should have raised my expectations given how close it was with Purdue making a lot of correctable mistakes.

The point still remains that I doubt you or anyone expected them to be an 8 or 9 win team. I'll post my preseason prediction next August though to avoid this in the future.

We will be waiting and watching.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2018 3:30 pm 

Boilermaker Rick wrote:
The point still remains that I doubt you or anyone expected them to be an 8 or 9 win team.

Just a quick google search shows this is not correct. There were some predictions of them taking a step back this year, but there were others that expected them to be better.

Quote:
The Athletic's Bruce Feldman thinks the Boilermakers will go 8-4 and earn their second consecutive bowl game.
"The Boilermakers also have two solid quarterbacks in David Blough and Elijah Sindelar," Feldman writes. "Unfortunately, aside from Lorenzo Neal and Markus Bailey, there isn’t much back in the defensive front seven."

Quote:
Sam Hellman of 247Sports says the Boilermakers will end up ranked at some point this season.
"It may not be a long-term ranking within the top 25, but the love fest for Jeff Brohm combined with a potential statement win or two in September could have Purdue in the top 25 by the time it heads to Ohio State on Oct. 20," Hellman writes.

Purdue hasn't cracked the AP Top 25 since 2007, the third-longest drought of Power 5 teams (Syracuse in 2001 and IU in 1994 being the others).
Hellman even thinks that Purdue could begin the season 6-0 with victories over Northwestern, Missouri, Boston College and Nebraska.

Frank Coztansa wrote:

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2018 11:28 am 

pizza_Place: Pizza Hut
Boilermaker Rick wrote:
Boilermaker Rick wrote:
RFDC wrote:
Boilermaker Rick wrote:

I feel a lot better today. People will be shocked at the extension he will be offered. The draw home may be too much but he will be turning down a top ten salary to do it unless Louisville matches it.

Glad it sounds like he will be staying unless Lousiville breaks the bank, I was expecting a 6-6 team so this year is not a surprise, hopefully they win Saturday to make a bowl game.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2018 3:50 am 

pizza_Place: Angelo's Pizza in Downers Grove
Brohm was pretty meh his entire coaching career until now. I would think twice before breaking the bank on him. Purdue doesn’t really have a choice though.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2018 4:22 pm 

pizza_Place: Vito and Nick's
Look at them Illini! TW x 2.

I like their uniforms.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2018 4:53 pm 

tommy wrote:
Look at them Illini! TW x 2.

I like their uniforms.

But GoCats! are restoring order :cheers:

PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2018 11:10 pm 

Watched the post game press conference with Brohm. He was careful to use the words "right now" in terms of the speculation and that "right now" he is the coach of Purdue.

Maybe just poor use of words, but definitely going to add to that speculation that he will end up at Louisville.

Frank Coztansa wrote:

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2018 7:41 am 

He will talk to them but he said a lot of things in the media and to players that indicated he was staying. He will get a big raise and come back I think.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2018 11:58 am 

pizza_Place: Caseys
If they throw a bag of money at him he's gone.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2018 11:16 am 

nine teams qualify for bowl games and I assume all will get an offer. Illinois, Rutgers and Nebraska were the only teams without a possibility heading into the last weekend but I think Nebraska ends up being pretty hopeful at the end of their season. I think they will come in highly overrated into next year. I'd say Wisconsin is the most disappointing team in the conference but they had a lot of injuries.

conference teams to watch out for in the bowls:

Penn State
Iowa
Minnesota

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 246 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next