It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 5:19 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2018 9:12 am 

Pretty shocking that they kept him on board. Usually schools only bend over backwards to retain successful coaches.

A player on his team died as a result of how he was running the program. Pathetic for Maryland.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2018 9:15 am 

pizza_Place: John's
It is hilarious that this dude pretty much killed a kid, and he gets to keep his job. Juxtaposed again the Urban Meyer rage.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2018 9:15 am 

Brian Kelly killed a kid too.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2018 9:16 am 

pizza_Place: Baranabyis
He didn't fucking murder him.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2018 9:16 am 

pizza_Place: Clamburger's
You guys hear about Urban Meyer's brain cyst he's had for 20 years from his lifetime cocaine habit?

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2018 9:19 am 

America wrote:

Not calling an Ambulance for an hour, after a kid is having a seizure...that is manslaughter at the very least.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2018 9:19 am 

America wrote:

Murdering someone and killing someone are two distinctly different things under the law.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2018 9:21 am 

One Post wrote:
Pretty shocking that they kept him on board. Usually schools only bend over backwards to retain successful coaches.

A player on his team died as a result of how he was running the program. Pathetic for Maryland.

I don't think this story is over but supposedly they couldn't fire him for cause. That could indicate that the administration turned down requests for medical staff or some other factor.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2018 9:23 am 

pizza_Place: Q's Hillside
Is this nitwit related to the former Score contributor?

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2018 9:28 am 

If the kid was raped, but lived, the coach would have been fired on the spot. For some reason, straight up death doesn't offend people or move needles.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2018 10:44 am 

pizza_Place: Angelo's Pizza in Downers Grove
Boilermaker Rick wrote:
One Post wrote:

I don't think this story is over but supposedly they couldn't fire him for cause. That could indicate that the administration turned down requests for medical staff or some other factor.

Couldn't prove sexual harrassment.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2018 10:45 am 

Boilermaker Rick wrote:
One Post wrote:

So I guess the thought here would be that if there is ample medical staff around, it is more acceptable to force a 19 year old kid to run to the brink of death in the pursuit of beating Rutgers? And this is OK because there are medical professionals there to prevent the death?

Brick, I don't know the language of Durkin's contract, so if you tell me that he couldn't be fired for cause I'll take you at your word.

Whether with cause or not, Durkin should be gone. Sure, maybe Maryland has to pay a huge buyout, but the lesson there, as in many cases, is do the hard work up front and don't hire an asshole, it will save lots of time, energy, and money in the long run.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2018 10:54 am 

pizza_Place: Chuck E Cheese

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2018 12:10 pm 

pizza_Place: Il-Forno in Deerfield
Under Armor has deep pockets.
I remember hosting a conference and a delegation from Maryland showed up in head to toe under armor gear. Everyone else is in business attire and there they were in tracksuits or UA polos with track pants.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2018 12:15 pm 

One Post wrote:
So I guess the thought here would be that if there is ample medical staff around, it is more acceptable to force a 19 year old kid to run to the brink of death in the pursuit of beating Rutgers? And this is OK because there are medical professionals there to prevent the death?
I agree with you. I have to think this eventually brings them all down though.

One Post wrote:
Brick, I don't know the language of Durkin's contract, so if you tell me that he couldn't be fired for cause I'll take you at your word.
Well, anyone can be fired for cause. The question was how do you justify it. If he had been denied safeguards for things like this they could be liable for huge damages for firing for cause. Look at Rick Pitino and what Louisville is facing.

One Post wrote:
Whether with cause or not, Durkin should be gone. Sure, maybe Maryland has to pay a huge buyout, but the lesson there, as in many cases, is do the hard work up front and don't hire an asshole, it will save lots of time, energy, and money in the long run.
No doubt. Maryland has to get rid of him. I'm not even sure what the plan is for them. I guess they could be hoping he messes up or something.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2018 12:51 pm 

Boilermaker Rick wrote:
One Post wrote:
I agree with you. I have to think this eventually brings them all down though.

One Post wrote:
Well, anyone can be fired for cause. The question was how do you justify it. If he had been denied safeguards for things like this they could be liable for huge damages for firing for cause. Look at Rick Pitino and what Louisville is facing.

One Post wrote:
No doubt. Maryland has to get rid of him. I'm not even sure what the plan is for them. I guess they could be hoping he messes up or something.

On this last point, what right minded parent would ever let their child play for this man.

I'd say that of the responsibilities of a football coach, keeping your players alive is an unspoken, and quite important responsibility. It's also probably the easiest to accomplish. If this guy can't even keep his players alive, what does that say for his interest level in a child's education, personal development, emotional development, etc.? I think a small percentage of college coaches are invested in these listed ideas, but at least they can plausibly lie about them to parents of recruits.

Not sure how any parent would allow their son to be recruited by Durkin, much less believe that he's "Really concerned about the education that Johnny is going to get at Maryland"

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2018 12:56 pm 

Psycory wrote:
I remember hosting a conference and a delegation from Maryland showed up in head to toe under armor gear. Everyone else is in business attire and there they were in tracksuits or UA polos with track pants.

To this point, at what time do citizen taxpayers demand accountability from their institutions of higher education? I don't know if that is even possible, or how that manifests itself, but on some level you would think that citizen taxpayers who fund higher education as a means of developing, attracting, and retaining highly educated citizens for their state are going to be embarrassed and appalled that institutions designed to educate young men and women are beholden to corporate interests.

Under Armour should just buy the next NFL franchise for sale if it wants to own a football team. I'd speculate that UA doesn't want to do that because they'd be beholden to the other NFL owners, whereas at Maryland they can run their fiefdom as they see fit.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2018 1:07 pm 

One Post wrote:
Psycory wrote:

To this point, at what time do citizen taxpayers demand accountability from their institutions of higher education? I don't know if that is even possible, or how that manifests itself, but on some level you would think that citizen taxpayers who fund higher education as a means of developing, attracting, and retaining highly educated citizens for their state are going to be embarrassed and appalled that institutions designed to educate young men and women are beholden to corporate interests.

Under Armour should just buy the next NFL franchise for sale if it wants to own a football team. I'd speculate that UA doesn't want to do that because they'd be beholden to the other NFL owners, whereas at Maryland they can run their fiefdom as they see fit.

But football.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2018 1:14 pm 

One Post wrote:
On this last point, what right minded parent would ever let their child play for this man.

I'd say that of the responsibilities of a football coach, keeping your players alive is an unspoken, and quite important responsibility. It's also probably the easiest to accomplish. If this guy can't even keep his players alive, what does that say for his interest level in a child's education, personal development, emotional development, etc.? I think a small percentage of college coaches are invested in these listed ideas, but at least they can plausibly lie about them to parents of recruits.

Not sure how any parent would allow their son to be recruited by Durkin, much less believe that he's "Really concerned about the education that Johnny is going to get at Maryland"
I agree with all off that but I think Maryland is more worried about a lawsuit and the potential of massive damages rather than the short term success of football recruiting. That's the only thing I can guess.

They'll fire him at the end of the year.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2018 1:24 pm 
1000 CLUB

pizza_Place: Zaffiro's
Caller Bob wrote:

Something similar happened at Northwestern when Randy Walker was the head football coach.

My understanding was that the university refused to fire him due to the lawsuit filed by the family of the deceased student, Rashidi Wheeler.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2018 2:04 pm 

Tall Midget wrote:
Caller Bob wrote:

Something similar happened at Northwestern when Randy Walker was the head football coach.

My understanding was that the university refused to fire him due to the lawsuit filed by the family of the deceased student, Rashidi Wheeler.

But here the University president has already "resigned" after essentially admitting liability and apologizing profusely to the poor kid's family. How they haven't already settled with his family and canned the $2.5MM clown coach is beyond me.

Maryland will be stuck with 1-2 star recruits at best for as long as the Durkin stink lingers, which means that Rutgers won't finish last.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2018 2:12 pm 

pizza_Place: giordanos
I have just read two articles about this and am missing something important. Why is it the coach that is getting everyone's ire and people want him jailed or not working anymore? It sounds to me that some liken him to Bobby Knight monster or something but the facts are missing on this case.

I am no big fan of college football and coaches but all the stories and the statements have the University accepting blame on behalf of the training staff. The accounting of that day's events are all involving trainers and doctors. Beyond that the strength and conditioning coach gets named.

Yes I am sure the coach has overall responsibility and has the players running gassers but it seems to me a failure of more than the head coach as the statement today said.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2018 2:16 pm 

pizza_Place: Nowhere
Regular Reader wrote:
Tall Midget wrote:
Caller Bob wrote:

But here the University president has already "resigned" after essentially admitting liability and apologizing profusely to the poor kid's family. How they haven't already settled with his family and canned the $2.5MM clown coach is beyond me.

Maryland will be stuck with 1-2 star recruits at best for as long as the Durkin stink lingers, which means that Rutgers won't finish last.

I was surprised back then that walker wasn’t removed. Didn’t have a huge history with team st moment and it was bad. When you read about it in retrospect it was handled horribly. Walker was dead within 12 months of the case being resolved but damn, 4 years to get resolution.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2018 2:42 pm 

pittmike wrote:
I have just read two articles about this and am missing something important. Why is it the coach that is getting everyone's ire and people want him jailed or not working anymore? It sounds to me that some liken him to Bobby Knight monster or something but the facts are missing on this case.

I am no big fan of college football and coaches but all the stories and the statements have the University accepting blame on behalf of the training staff. The accounting of that day's events are all involving trainers and doctors. Beyond that the strength and conditioning coach gets named.

Yes I am sure the coach has overall responsibility and has the players running gassers but it seems to me a failure of more than the head coach as the statement today said.

So your point is that a lot of people should be fired because of this death?

I couldn't agree more, but Durkin should definitely be one of them.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2018 2:45 pm 

Fire whom ever you want I don’t care. It just seems to me as the report says it’s not all at his feet. To listen only to the score prior to my reading today you’d think the coach choked him to death and threw him out a fifth story window.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2018 2:48 pm 

pittmike wrote:
Fire whom ever you want I don’t care. It just seems to me as the report says it’s not all at his feet. To listen only to the score prior to my reading today you’d think the coach choked him to death and threw him out a fifth story window.

He runs the football program. One of the players dies at the practice he was in charge of. Buck stops with him.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2018 2:55 pm 

Tough standard if you applied that to other positions of responsibility.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2018 2:57 pm 

pittmike wrote:

A teenager died while he was under the care of an adult who is paid a tremendous amount of money, provided resources to employ a large staff, and tasked with the job of managing that group of young men and said staff. This adult has a tremendous amount of power over that group of young men and staff, essentially unchecked power, and also wields a tremendous amount of power in a larger sphere.

A teenager died because of, and as a direct result of, the organization the adult designed, set up, monitored, and controlled. To think that consequences should not befall this adult in charge is inexplicable at best. Also, it bears noting, this young man wasn't a coal miner or someone working for a profit making industry earning a wage himself, this was a teenager attending an institution of higher education as a student, an institution that likely has the taxpayer funded goal of educating students, providing a safe environment for those students, and helping those young adults develop into productive responsible members of a functioning society.

Also, as to the media reports. If Maryland won the national title this year as opposed to killing a player, do you think you'd hear a bunch of news stories about how great the training staff is? Clearly not. When you take a media intensive role like head coach of a college football team, everything that happens in the program is grist for the media mill, with the coach being front and center for both the good and the bad. You're a guy in your mid 50's who follows sports, how can this be surprising to you in 2018?

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2018 2:58 pm 

pittmike wrote:

If he chokes him to death, throwing him out a window seems like a dumb move.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2018 3:00 pm 

rogers park bryan wrote:
pittmike wrote:

If he chokes him to death, throwing him out a window seems like a dumb move.

Good point.