It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 5:39 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Hoops 2018/2019
PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2019 2:57 pm 

pizza_Place: Il Forno in Deerfield!
Killian Tillen/Gonzaga out for the year most likely.

It's early February and things can change, but as of today I only see 2-3 teams that have any shot at winning the title this year. Duke and Tennessee for sure and then maybe Kentucky. No one else has a shot IMO.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2019 3:04 pm 

shakes wrote:

It's early February and things can change, but as of today I only see 2-3 teams that have any shot at winning the title this year. Duke and Tennessee for sure and then maybe Kentucky. No one else has a shot IMO.

Duke should be far and away the favorite but it's much more than just Tenn and Kentucky who have a chance if Duke falters.

And no, I'm not saying Purdue is one of them.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2019 3:14 pm 

Michigan is a team that could get hot and win it all IMO.

Duke is definitely the favorite. I could see Kentucky as well. Not sold on Tennessee.

Frank Coztansa wrote:
I have MANY years of experience in trying to appreciate steaming piles of dogshit.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2019 5:46 pm 

pizza_Place: Angelo's Pizza in Downers Grove
As long as they don't have to play Duke, Virginia would be my favorite.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2019 6:52 pm 

pizza_Place: Vito and Nick's
Big Chicagoan wrote:

at UNC tonight

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2019 12:06 pm 

Boilermaker Rick wrote:
shakes wrote:

Duke should be far and away the favorite but it's much more than just Tenn and Kentucky who have a chance if Duke falters.

disagree.

I don't see anyone else having a shot. Someone mentioned Michigan? Not gonna happen with that offense. No interior scoring and not enough consistent perimeter scorers. As for Virginia? No chance. Not enough offense, basically rely on 3 guys to carry them. And their biggest problem is the style they play makes it very difficult to come back if they are ever down ten points in a game. MSU? No chance with Langford out all year. Gonzaga, in trouble without Tille (even though they did beat Duke without Tille back in November). Nevada, no chance. UNC, not gonna happen.

I'm not much of a betting man, but if I was I would take Duke, Tennesee and Kentucky vs the field without hesitation at pretty much any odds. Free money.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2019 12:09 pm 

shakes wrote:
Boilermaker Rick wrote:
shakes wrote:

disagree.

I don't see anyone else having a shot. Someone mentioned Michigan? Not gonna happen with that offense. No interior scoring and not enough consistent perimeter scorers. As for Virginia? No chance. Not enough offense, basically rely on 3 guys to carry them. And their biggest problem is the style they play makes it very difficult to come back if they are ever down ten points in a game. MSU? No chance with Langford out all year. Gonzaga, in trouble without Tille (even though they did beat Duke without Tille back in November). Nevada, no chance. UNC, not gonna happen.

I'm not much of a betting man, but if I was I would take Duke, Tennesee and Kentucky vs the field without hesitation at pretty much any odds. Free money.

This isn’t the NBA. The best team doesn’t always win, which is why Duke has already lost twice. The tournament is a different animal which is more about big game play and experience, usually.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2019 12:09 pm 

I would take Duke vs the field so that isn't saying much about the other two.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2019 11:39 am 

What an amazing double header last night. First, my Tigers of LSU shocked the world with a last second win at Kentucky. Then, in the second game, the world remained shocked as Duke came back down 23 points in the second half.

Tennessee at Kentucky on Saturday night gonna be EPIC.

LSU in the drivers seat to win the conference. Only play KY and TN once each whereas those two play each other twice this month. And TN game is at LSU.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2019 11:40 am 

Boilermaker Rick wrote:
I would take Duke vs the field so that isn't saying much about the other two.

I'm reserving the right to agree/disagree with you until after the Tenn vs KY game Saturday. Gotta see Tenn on the road vs a top team first.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2019 12:47 pm 

Tennessee got bitch slapped by Kentucky.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2019 2:49 pm 

UNC @ Duke tonight at 8. Catch my LSU Tigers vs Florida at 6 if you want to see a darkhorse F4 contender.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2019 3:20 pm 

shakes wrote:
UNC @ Duke tonight at 8. Catch my LSU Tigers vs Florida at 6 if you want to see a darkhorse F4 contender.

I'll be watching NW vs OSU. They play for the love of the game.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2019 4:26 pm 

Boilermaker Rick wrote:
shakes wrote:

I'll be watching NW vs OSU. They play for the love of the game.

did you see the Purdue/Indiana game last night? Purdue tried giving the game away and Carson Edwards was something like 3/24 on the day, but they squeezed out the win thanks to a Harms put back tip in with 3 seconds left. Dumbass Nojel Easter committed 3 reach in fouls towards the end of the game that almost cost his team the game. But, after reach in foul #2 I was openly wondering why Archie would even let him continue to guard Langford.

Maryland vs Iowa was great game as well.

Big10 basically carrying college basketball this year in terms of having enough quality depth to give us good games almost every night.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2019 4:32 pm 

shakes wrote:
did you see the Purdue/Indiana game last night? Purdue tried giving the game away and Carson Edwards was something like 3/24 on the day, but they squeezed out the win thanks to a Harms put back tip in with 3 seconds left. Dumbass Nojel Easter committed 3 reach in fouls towards the end of the game that almost cost his team the game. But, after reach in foul #2 I was openly wondering why Archie would even let him continue to guard Langford.
It was my least favorite game of the year even with the win. They did everything they could to mess it up and got really lucky to get away with a win.

The best part about the Haarms put back was the IU fans were chanting "F@% YOU HAARMS" all game and he got a completely undeserved technical which sent him to the bench and he got the game winning put back and then an apology from the Indiana athletic director today.

They've got a lot to figure out though. The last 3 games have been pretty poorly played but most teams have a stretch like this at some point. I had hoped Purdue had it in December but I guess they can have two.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2019 5:30 pm 

Talk about a dumpster fire....Indiana basketball right now...from 12-2 to this mess. I have been fairly happy with Archie...but he better get this mess figured out. No way in the world they should be this bad.

Purdue does look like they are coming back down to earth a little after a great run. They looked out of sorts the entire game yesterday. Taking bad shots and doing stupid things....very un painter like.

I am not impressed with anyone in the Big 10 right now. I thought Michigan could make a run...but not so sure on that.

Frank Coztansa wrote:
I have MANY years of experience in trying to appreciate steaming piles of dogshit.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2019 1:55 pm 

RFDC wrote:
Purdue does look like they are coming back down to earth a little after a great run. They looked out of sorts the entire game yesterday. Taking bad shots and doing stupid things....very un painter like.

Purdue goes down tonight.

Also not impressed with the Big 10. Michigan looks beatable and now Iowa is the latest team that's in a mess (on the court and off). Not been an interesting season. Michigan has a lot of tournament experience, though (aside from Ignas).

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2019 4:36 pm 

tommy wrote:
RFDC wrote:

Purdue goes down tonight.

Also not impressed with the Big 10. Michigan looks beatable and now Iowa is the latest team that's in a mess (on the court and off). Not been an interesting season. Michigan has a lot of tournament experience, though (aside from Ignas).

Big10 is the deepest league in the country and at the same time, the don't have any team that can make the F4. maybe MSU if Ward comes back, maybe. That said, Michigan, MSU, Maryland, Purdue and wisconson all could easily make it to the second weekend.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2019 9:30 pm 

Much like The New Kids on the Block, the Illini are hangin' tough at halftime.

Edit: Check that.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 31, 2019 10:44 pm 

shakes wrote:
Boilermaker Rick wrote:
shakes wrote:

disagree.

Reading back over this thread....too bad none of us pushed you on your free money deal here....

Frank Coztansa wrote:

PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2019 11:07 am 

RFDC wrote:
shakes wrote:
Boilermaker Rick wrote:
shakes wrote:

disagree.

Reading back over this thread....too bad none of us pushed you on your free money deal here....

a lot changed in the final month of the season. I was right on my Big10 take though, said only MSU was capable of going that far.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2019 10:49 pm 

Big Chicagoan wrote:

Prophetic