It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 1:33 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 247 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
 Post subject: Re: We Are DePaul!
PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2024 11:56 am 

good dolphin wrote:
what are the institutional advantages Creighton, Providence, St. John's, etc. have over Depaul?
Creighton is the only game in town and they have very rich donors. The only competition they have is Nebraska basketball. Providence is the same way. St. John's gets to play in MSG and NYC is actually less fractured in terms of fan bases. The Big Ten teams + Notre Dame have a stranglehold on Chicago. I'm guessing there are more Michigan fans in Chicago than there are DePaul fans. Plus, the East Coast schools get a far better travel schedule given where most Big East teams exist along with far more important long term rivalries.

Everyone thinks DePaul's location is an advantage. It really isn't. The bigger schools take whoever they want from Chicago and the suburbs and now with NIL they will have no problem doing it whenever they want. So DePaul is already recruiting at a mid major level in their home area.

Now maybe if DePaul had been good recently it would be different but Butler seems to be showing that even that didn't really matter. Butler joining the Big East has been a big mistake so far. Creighton has done better than I have thought though.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2024 12:20 pm 

pizza_Place: Mauries Table
Brick wrote:
good dolphin wrote:
what are the institutional advantages Creighton, Providence, St. John's, etc. have over Depaul?
Creighton is the only game in town and they have very rich donors. The only competition they have is Nebraska basketball. Providence is the same way. St. John's gets to play in MSG and NYC is actually less fractured in terms of fan bases. The Big Ten teams + Notre Dame have a stranglehold on Chicago. I'm guessing there are more Michigan fans in Chicago than there are DePaul fans. Plus, the East Coast schools get a far better travel schedule given where most Big East teams exist along with far more important long term rivalries.

Everyone thinks DePaul's location is an advantage. It really isn't. The bigger schools take whoever they want from Chicago and the suburbs and now with NIL they will have no problem doing it whenever they want. So DePaul is already recruiting at a mid major level in their home area.

Now maybe if DePaul had been good recently it would be different but Butler seems to be showing that even that didn't really matter. Butler joining the Big East has been a big mistake so far. Creighton has done better than I have thought though.

I think the "being good" part is the key. When Ray Meyer was running things they were by far the biggest show in town - bigger than the Bulls or any Big-10 team. Then Joey took over and the recruiting started to slide. A series of mid-tier coaches with little local name recognition followed and doomed them to 3rd-rate players. If they hit on the right coach I think it could change. JORR mentioned Aguirre, which is an interesting name if he were actually interested. I'm not sure what kind of budget DePaul has for coaching but what about other local legends like Doc Rivers or Tim Hardaway? Is Maurice Cheeks still on the Bulls staff?

Last edited by Zippy-The-Pinhead on Tue Jan 23, 2024 1:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2024 1:01 pm 

pizza_Place: Palermo's 95th
Brick wrote:
They need to drop down a level. No chance they can compete in modern big time college basketball. They are at a disadvantage to every other Big East team and those teams are almost all at a disadvantage to any team in the P4 football conferences. Butler has every advantage over DePaul and Butler still can't handle the Big East either and should also drop down too.

DePaul likely has the worst NIL situation in the conference. There is not going to be any local fanbase for DePaul given how pretty much everyone in Chicago already has a college team. You aren't going to sell recruits on staying home when most games are against teams from the East Coast and one from Nebraska. Even if you get good, Illinois, Michigan, and other Big Ten schools are going to take your players unless you have enough rich alumni to fund $500k+ NIL deals.

A Big East team has won the NCAA Tournament three times since 2016. The conference doesn't appear to be at a disadvantage, especially when you consider that a Big 10 Team hasn't won the Tournament since 2000.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2024 1:09 pm 

In terms of DePaul's failures, I attribute them to the following:

1. The snowball effect of repeated losing;
2. The lack of an interesting or energizing environment at home games. They're not going to build an on-campus arena in Lincoln Park anytime soon, but they should consider playing more games at McGrath Arena (where the women play); and
3. It's harder to make noise in Chicago. As others have said, a good college basketball team in Milwaukee, Omaha, or Providence is going to capture more local attention than a good college basketball team in Chicago. It wasn't that long ago that Loyola was in the Final Four, but they've already sunk back into obscurity.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2024 1:29 pm 

pizza_Place: Mauries Table
Warren Newson wrote:
In terms of DePaul's failures, I attribute them to the following:

1. The snowball effect of repeated losing;
2. The lack of an interesting or energizing environment at home games. They're not going to build an on-campus arena in Lincoln Park anytime soon, but they should consider playing more games at McGrath Arena (where the women play); and
3. It's harder to make noise in Chicago. As others have said, a good college basketball team in Milwaukee, Omaha, or Providence is going to capture more local attention than a good college basketball team in Chicago. It wasn't that long ago that Loyola was in the Final Four, but they've already sunk back into obscurity.

I disagree on that last point. The issue is consistency. In the late 70's & early 80's they were the toast of the town. Also, Marquette is well below the Packers, Bucks and Brewers in terms of interest.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2024 1:32 pm 

Warren Newson wrote:
A Big East team has won the NCAA Tournament three times since 2016. The conference doesn't appear to be at a disadvantage, especially when you consider that a Big 10 Team hasn't won the Tournament since 2000.
NIL is a fairly recent development though Connecticut basketball is strong enough to not only handle it but probably thrive. Just like Gonzaga, a conference is more than just the one dominant team.

I think Jay Wright saw the writing on the wall and retired relatively early.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2024 1:36 pm 

Zippy-The-Pinhead wrote:
Brick wrote:
good dolphin wrote:

I think the "being good" part is the key. When Ray Meyer was running things they were by far the biggest show in town - bigger than the Bulls or any Big-10 team. Then Joey took over and the recruiting started to slide. A series of mid-tier coaches with little local name recognition followed and doomed them to 3rd-rate players. If they hit on the right coach I think it could change. JORR mentioned Aguirre, which is an interesting name if he were actually interested. I'm not sure what kind of budget DePaul has for coaching but what about other local legends like Doc Rivers or Tim Hardaway? Is Maurice Cheeks still on the Bulls staff?

I mean, assuming we aren't talking about a hypothetical DePaul that was a winner the past 30 years, it isn't going to happen even if they are good. At best, they'll be a second favorite team of Northwestern and Iowa fans who live in Chicago similar to the Loyola bandwagon fans. When it comes to the NIL donations that are vital to win in college basketball now they aren't going to be getting them. When Coleman Hawkins can make as high as $500k a year where is DePaul going to be on that?

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2024 1:45 pm 

pizza_Place: Chuck E Cheese
Maybe Lawrence can set up some lucrative NIL deals.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2024 1:49 pm 
Site Admin

pizza_Place: Aurelio's
Brick wrote:
Zippy-The-Pinhead wrote:
Brick wrote:
good dolphin wrote:

I mean, assuming we aren't talking about a hypothetical DePaul that was a winner the past 30 years, it isn't going to happen even if they are good. At best, they'll be a second favorite team of Northwestern and Iowa fans who live in Chicago similar to the Loyola bandwagon fans. When it comes to the NIL donations that are vital to win in college basketball now they aren't going to be getting them. When Coleman Hawkins can make as high as $500k a year where is DePaul going to be on that?

I'm not sure, but DePaul is a pretty big school. Richard Dreihaus is dead though.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2024 4:51 pm 

Location: Pearl Harbor, Waukesha, and other things that make no sense
pizza_Place: Lou Malnati's
Zippy-The-Pinhead wrote:
Also, Marquette is well below the Packers, Bucks and Brewers in terms of interest.

It's not fair to mention any team in relation to the Packers. They're so far and away #1. But Marquette has had a strong following for as long as I can remember. I think they benefited from the rising tide of Madison and Milwaukee both having decent basketball programs around the same time. I can assure you, people went years without caring one bit about the Bucks. They were the basketball Blackhawks.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2024 8:49 pm 

pizza_Place: Pizanos

We walk, talk, and won't shit our pants

PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2024 6:34 am 
1000 CLUB

pizza_Place: Zaffiro's
:lol: :lol:

PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2024 10:28 am 

:lol: that looks like a scene from a middle school girls basketball game

Frank Coztansa wrote:
I have MANY years of experience in trying to appreciate steaming piles of dogshit.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 10, 2024 10:03 pm 

Yes it is.

CDOM wrote:
When this is all over, which is not going to be for a while, Trump will be re-elected President.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2024 1:14 am 

conns7901 wrote:

I'll take non-committal reporting for $500 Alex. All kidding aside, I would like to be excited by this news, but it sounds like it's in keeping with the DePaul tradition of the last quarter century of hiring tired old men.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2024 5:03 am 

pizza_Place: Geo's Pizza
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
Brick wrote:
Zippy-The-Pinhead wrote:
Brick wrote:
good dolphin wrote:

I'm not sure, but DePaul is a pretty big school. Richard Dreihaus is dead though.

Was there any truth that allegations of Pat Kennedy's bad recruiting practices caused Ponsetto and the administration to avoid big-name coaches? I remember hearing that a few time from people connected to the school.

When I worked at the Allstate Arena and later attended DePaul in the 90's, most of the fanbase consisted of older alumni still pining for the past. On campus, basketball never felt hyped in any way, even though they had Quentin Richardson at the time. There also seemed to be a million reasons why the school couldn't compete. Games were played an hour away from the campus. The school had too many commuters with no connection to activities outside of classes. There wasn't a football team to bring in additional revenue. The administration didn't want to spend money on a new stadium near Cabrini back in the 90's. Joey Meyer had broken the relationship with CPS coaches. DePaul coaches were from out of state and couldn't recruit the Chicago schools. The eligibility standards were too strict to get more talented players. Chicago is too cold in the winter so it hurt recruiting. The campus nightlife wasn't great outside a stretch near Lincoln and Halsted. The list goes on.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2024 7:05 am 

conns7901 wrote:

Is Moser being pushed out at OU?

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2024 7:11 am 
Site Admin

Crystal Lake Hoffy wrote:
When I worked at the Allstate Arena and later attended DePaul in the 90's, most of the fanbase consisted of older alumni still pining for the past.

The biggest mistake they ever made was moving the games to Rosemont.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2024 8:52 am 
1000 CLUB

Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
Crystal Lake Hoffy wrote:
When I worked at the Allstate Arena and later attended DePaul in the 90's, most of the fanbase consisted of older alumni still pining for the past.

The biggest mistake they ever made was moving the games to Rosemont.

What % of DePaul students are commuters?

One of the best things Loyola did for its basketball program (and the entire school more broadly) was to increase its on-campus housing capacity.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2024 8:57 am 
1000 CLUB

Also, when DePaul basketball was in its heyday, wasn't its popularity amplified more by "subway alums" than actual DePaul students? I remember a bunch of my older relatives--including my great uncle who was a CTA bus driver and my grandmother, who didn't have a high school diploma--being rabid DePaul fans. Working-class Catholics adopted DePaul as their team in the pre-Jordan era.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2024 9:10 am 
Site Admin

Tall Midget wrote:
Also, when DePaul basketball was in its heyday, wasn't its popularity amplified more by "subway alums" than actual DePaul students? I remember a bunch of my older relatives--including my great uncle who was a CTA bus driver and my grandmother, who didn't have a high school diploma--being rabid DePaul fans. Working-class Catholics adopted DePaul as their team in the pre-Jordan era.

I believe that. When I attended U of I I was a DePaul fan who hated Illini basketball.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2024 10:32 am 

So it's Chris Holtmann, who is a better choice than Porter Moser anyways.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2024 5:49 pm 

pizza_Place: Marie's
Given the majority of names that were floated this is a decent hire.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2024 5:53 pm 

Phil Leotardo wrote:

It is a great hire for Depaul considering where they have been.

Frank Coztansa wrote:
I have MANY years of experience in trying to appreciate steaming piles of dogshit.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2024 6:09 pm 

RFDC wrote:
Phil Leotardo wrote:

It's in keeping with hires like Wainwright and Purnell, a guy who is over the age of 50 and who previously took a team to the NCAA Tournament. Those other two promptly failed at DePaul (although Wainwright did go to the NIT) and I expect failure out of this new guy as well.

I would have liked to see them hire an assistant at a good program that's under the age of 40. They haven't really done that since the first Leitao hire.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2024 6:15 pm 

pizza_Place: What??
Warren Newson wrote:
RFDC wrote:
Phil Leotardo wrote:

It's in keeping with hires like Wainwright and Purnell, a guy who is over the age of 50 and who previously took a team to the NCAA Tournament. Those other two promptly failed at DePaul (although Wainwright did go to the NIT) and I expect failure out of this new guy as well.

I would have liked to see them hire an assistant at a good program that's under the age of 40. They haven't really done that since the first Leitao hire.

That's also a roll of the dice. Both scenarios kinda suck but that's where Depaul is. They created this clusterfuck.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2024 10:15 pm 

pizza_Place: Roseangela's
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
Tall Midget wrote:

I believe that. When I attended U of I I was a DePaul fan who hated Illini basketball.

Have said this before....A lot of Southwest Siders passively pulled for them, and when they inevitably lost in the first round, they said, "See, I told ya so. Those (African-Americans) are a bunch of losers." Lots of neighborhood people said the same thing about Illinois; they preferred Indiana. I had to watch the Illini and the Demons on the sly. No joke.

DePaul was also not always the first choice because they played Notre Dame (they were actually decent then) twice a year and because DePaul was on the gay North Side.

Foolishness. They were # 1 for parts of four or five straight seasons. A neighborhood plumber was fixing our sink and my dad asked him what he thought of Terry Cummings leaving early for the NBA. "Good riddance," he said.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2024 10:31 pm 

pizza_Place: Marie's
Warren Newson wrote:
RFDC wrote:
Phil Leotardo wrote:

Not comparable. Wainwright was a total clown.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2024 5:46 pm 

Nardi wrote:
Warren Newson wrote:
RFDC wrote:
Phil Leotardo wrote:

That's also a roll of the dice. Both scenarios kinda suck but that's where Depaul is. They created this clusterfuck.

True, but the last time they tried it (Leitao I) it worked.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2024 5:47 pm 

Phil Leotardo wrote:
Warren Newson wrote:
RFDC wrote:
Phil Leotardo wrote:

Not comparable. Wainwright was a total clown.

Wainwright had more success than any of the guys who followed him.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 247 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next