It is currently Mon May 13, 2024 8:25 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 332 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12  Next
PostPosted: Thu Nov 18, 2021 1:02 pm 

I think playing in New York, Philadelphia, DC and and the Boston area opens up those markets for recruiting. I think it also gives the school more name recognition in those markets for the general population of high school kids. A10 schools are also generally closer to Loyola in character and quality.

The big winner in all of this is Valentine. He takes the next step in his career without having to change jobs. He then is a strong candidate for a big program if he continues the success.

I think this team is going to end up very good this year. We will see what they are in a week.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 18, 2021 1:28 pm 

pizza_Place: Lou Malnati's
good dolphin wrote:
I think playing in New York, Philadelphia, DC and and the Boston area opens up those markets for recruiting. I think it also gives the school more name recognition in those markets for the general population of high school kids. A10 schools are also generally closer to Loyola in character and quality.

The big winner in all of this is Valentine. He takes the next step in his career without having to change jobs. He then is a strong candidate for a big program if he continues the success.

I think this team is going to end up very good this year. We will see what they are in a week.

Have to see how he recruits and does without Moser's veterans. Is a game a year in those markets really going to open it up to recruiting? I think you are going to have to win with kids from Chicago and the suburbs who aren't getting Power 5 offers. Since DePaul gave up on basketball, the Ramblers should be able to get players.

The Missing Link wrote:
For instance they were never taught that Columbus was a slave owner.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 18, 2021 2:08 pm 

WaitingforRuffcorn wrote:
good dolphin wrote:

Have to see how he recruits and does without Moser's veterans. Is a game a year in those markets really going to open it up to recruiting? I think you are going to have to win with kids from Chicago and the suburbs who aren't getting Power 5 offers. Since DePaul gave up on basketball, the Ramblers should be able to get players.

The kids get to see you play in person, which is much more than they are doing now. Then they get the promise of playing before their hometown crowd every year. If Loyola keeps up the success, what other mid major is offering them that and trips to the tournament? I'm not saying they become east coast centric but you get one kid per year from those markets combined.

I'm getting ahead of myself though. As I said before, I think Loyola's success is fragile.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 18, 2021 2:45 pm 

pizza_Place: Il Forno in Deerfield!
Tall Midget wrote:
shakes wrote:
Tall Midget wrote:
shakes wrote:
Tall Midget wrote:
A bunch of those A10 schools are located in densely populated areas, but no one really cares about them because they're either tiny, have no tradition of basketball success, are largely commuter schools, or some combination thereof. Athletically, places like St. Bonny, Colgate, Richmond, Fordham, Duquesne, Davidson, and LaSalle are nonentities. Even the conference's state flagship schools like UMass and Rhode Island are absolute zeroes lacking the infrastructure to succeed in basketball--that's why the only guys to have won big at those places were notorious cheaters.

it's nearly as bad as you suggest. St. Bonny is in fact in the top 25 right now. Richmond and Davidson have good teams every few years. There is definitely some dead weight though at the bottom. Dayton, Rhode Island, VCU and St . Louis are very good programs and usually have teams fighting it out for NCAA bids.

It's a multi bid league which is a massive step up for Loyola.

I should have given St. Bonny some credit. They have been building their program for a while. And yeah, Richmond is good every few years. But no one really cares, even people who live in Richmond. Isn't Davidson fairly new to the A10? I think their program was better off before they made the jump from whatever nothing conference they were in before making the move to the A10.

Does being in a multi-bid conference help Loyola in the long run with recruiting if they're playing a bunch of teams no one cares about in Chicago? Playing against George Mason and Colgate every year sure isn't going to help them get good players from the Northeast.

Yes, being in a multi bid league will help recruit kids a lot more than promising them 2 matchups per year vs Drake, Missouri State and Evansville.

And playing vs teams like Dayton, St Louis, Rhode Island, VCU has a lot more allure than playing vs any team in the MVC. A10 has a lot more recognizeable teams/schools than MVC. Not sure about your angle saying that no one in those cities cares about the A10, very odd stance to take. All of those schools have good basketball followings and when they are good their towns all rally behind them. NO different than what Loyola experiences now in Chicago.

I thought Dayton and SLU were leaving the conference? If that's not the case, then that changes things.

Rhode Island is going to help recruit kids in Chicago? They last made the NCAA tournament in 2017-18, when they had a different coach. VCU has greater name recognition, but they haven't exactly set the world on fire since Shaka Smart left and they seem to have embarked on a downward trajectory with regards to their basketball fortunes. UMass (maybe one NCAA appearance in the past decade), Duquesne (have they ever made a tournament?), LaSalle (one NCAA in the past decade), Fordham (never made a tournament), George Mason (haven't made the NCAAs in more than a decade), George Washington (one tournament in the past decade), etc mean little to people in the Midwest or elsewhere.

I wasn't aware of Dayton and SLU. If they are leaving that will definitely hurt that conference.

Just to nitpick, VCU was on the verge of possibly having a run in the NCAA tourney last year, but they got COVID'D out of the tournament and had to forfeit their opening game vs Oregon. VCU was led by Bones Hyland who was a first round pick and was my pick for the late round pick most likely to make an all rookie team this year. He is coming off the bench for Denver and looks really good so far.

To your point, just read an article saying that A10, which has gotten at least 2 bids every year of existence, might only get one this year since the conference is down.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 18, 2021 3:27 pm 

It's an up year for the MVC and a down year for the A10 but the A10 is still rated slightly better than the MVC.

It's a one step increase in competitiveness, which I think Loyola should be able to handle.

Big year next year with this winningest recruiting class leaving and joining a new conference. I like some of their underclassmen better than the fifth year guys, especially Kennedy and it looks like this Saint Thomas may end up being a star down the line

PostPosted: Mon Nov 22, 2021 9:40 am 

big holiday week tournament for the Ramblers. They will either get themselves some national attention or be relegated to needing to win the conference for a tourney bid.

I didn't like how they played at home v UIC.

I think Michigan State will pound them but they will be competetive with UConn/Auburn. Come away from the weekend with 2 wins and they did a great job. The tourney is stacked so they may get none.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 22, 2021 11:17 am 

good dolphin wrote:
big holiday week tournament for the Ramblers. They will either get themselves some national attention or be relegated to needing to win the conference for a tourney bid.

I didn't like how they played at home v UIC.

I think Michigan State will pound them but they will be competetive with UConn/Auburn. Come away from the weekend with 2 wins and they did a great job. The tourney is stacked so they may get none.

I picked them to beat MSU in my confidence pool, but that might be wishful thinking. MSU has very good point guard play which makes upsetting them very difficult.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 24, 2021 11:38 am 

loyola v. msu tips off at 11

ramblers only a 2.5 dog

seems way off to me

PostPosted: Wed Nov 24, 2021 12:48 pm 

ramblers up 5 at the half. Would be huge if they can pull this off.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 24, 2021 1:10 pm 

pizza_Place: Angie's
Ramblers have some size...

PostPosted: Wed Nov 24, 2021 1:17 pm 

This is one hell of a game.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 24, 2021 1:50 pm 

Hawg Ass wrote:
This is one hell of a game.

Yep. Damn, the Ramblers got the offensive rebound but couldn't get a second shot off...

PostPosted: Wed Nov 24, 2021 1:53 pm 

Damn. Got the mismatch for an easy slam.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 24, 2021 1:53 pm 

Damn tough loss, but they are good again.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 24, 2021 1:54 pm 
1000 CLUB

pizza_Place: Zaffiro's
Well, that sucked.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 24, 2021 1:57 pm 

problem is, the people inclined to give big schools tournament bids and higher seeds don't care about moral victories. You have to have that skin on the wall where they can't objectively deny the quality.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2021 2:43 pm 

coming for you this weekend GD!!! :evil:

PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2021 10:20 am 

Ramblers with a #25 NET ranking.

That loss to Michigan State on a last second shot really hurts.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 2022 9:16 am 

Ramblers cracking CBS top 25+1 at 26. They haven't played in close to a month with them and others cancelling games. They lucked into a great matchup with San Francisco on Thursday as both teams are looking to get some games in after Covid cancellations.

Their only losses are to the 6 and 7 teams in the country.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 06, 2022 4:13 pm 

Ramblers with a very nice win on a neutral court against top 40 San Francisco. I think they are in line for an NCAA bid even if they don't win the tourney

PostPosted: Fri Jan 07, 2022 8:38 am 

I get a sneaking suspicioun that they the committee will set up a second round game with Porter Moser

PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2022 9:42 am 

They are up to 23 on CBS.

That game against Bradley was a trap game, as they flew across the country Thursday after a big win against a tough team. Bradley always plays rough defense that can be effective with the right reffing crew.

Their senior transfer guys from the Ivies have been important pieces. They have no one who can replace Krutwig. I think I'd like to see them test out going small rather than sticking with Hutson just because he is 6'10".

PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2022 10:00 am 

2OT win at home against a .500 team. This is not the stuff champions are made of. second game in a row like this

a win is a win

PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2022 10:15 am 

I watched the last quarter and OTs. They showed a lot of grit getting back into that game and winning.

But definitely not an opponent they should have struggled with

Frank Coztansa wrote:
I have MANY years of experience in trying to appreciate steaming piles of dogshit.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 07, 2022 9:28 am 

Big win on the road at Missouri State, a team who crushed them at home and were talking shit as they did it. The second half was the best half of basketball they have played since USF. They reestablished themselves at the top of the MVC. Hopefully this is the end of the funk they had been in.

Tough week ahead with a game at Bradley. They love to grab on defense and if you get the wrong refs who let them get away with it, that can easily be a road loss. Then they get Northern Iowa at home who is finally playing as well as people predicted during the off season.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 10, 2022 9:22 am 

shit the bed at Bradley. I thought that would be a tough game.

They may end up making the tournament but they aren't the giant killers of the past couple of appearances.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 10, 2022 10:14 am 
1000 CLUB

pizza_Place: Zaffiro's
good dolphin wrote:

They may end up making the tournament but they aren't the giant killers of the past couple of appearances.

So then it's time to start ignoring the Ramblers again?

PostPosted: Thu Feb 10, 2022 10:18 am 

Tall Midget wrote:
good dolphin wrote:

They're still the best team in Illinois

PostPosted: Thu Feb 10, 2022 10:23 am 

pizza_Place: What??
good dolphin wrote:
Tall Midget wrote:
good dolphin wrote:

Didn't you just say they lost to Bradley?

PostPosted: Thu Feb 10, 2022 12:19 pm 

Nardi wrote:
good dolphin wrote:
Tall Midget wrote:
good dolphin wrote:

Didn't you just say they lost to Bradley?

They have beaten them this year and are in first place in their conference. Loyola hadn't lost to another team from Illinois in something like 25 games before last night.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 332 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12  Next