It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 2:58 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 186 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2019 11:17 am 

FavreFan wrote:
There is no magic formula. Stop being obtuse.
Didn't I lose this discussion because shakes pointed out EFG and TS?

FavreFan wrote:
Look at every available data point on a player and come to a reasonable conclusion. That means SPG and BPG. It means EFG and TS%. It definitely means Usage rate. You liked to bring up how good Zion's teammates are. Not only did shakes debunk that, but the flip side to the coin is that having better players around you means you're asked to do less. If Zion was on Creighton when McDermott was I think it's very reasonable to project him to score more than 28 ppg considering his usage and efficiency on a much better team.
Hypothetical Zion Williamson!

shakes didn't debunk anything about his teammates. As of now, Duke is projected to have 3 top 10 picks including Zion. Marques Bolden was the #1 center in his class and 14 overall. Tre Jones was the #3 pg in his class and 15 overall. Javin DeLaurier, who is a role player, was the 11th best pf and 39th overall. Duke is an all star team.

FavreFan wrote:
But mainly the Steve Scheffler and Tacko examples were beyond ridiculous. Regardless of how little one knows about basketball stats, common sense should have come in to play before you submitted those examples.
I don't think you are getting the point of posting those. I wasn't saying they were better than Zion. I was pointing out the flaw in shakes argument. Then all of a sudden usage rate became part of the discussion even and it was retroactively ridiculous for me to not have known that. Then I pointed out Doug McDermott and then it was like "Well, McDermott was good in college" when I've already said Zion is one of the best college players of all time and yet I'm being ridiculous pointing out that Zion didn't put up 30 and 10 rebounds.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2019 11:20 am 

pizza_Place: Il Forno in Deerfield!
Brick going full genius now. :lol: :lol:

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2019 11:26 am 

pizza_Place: Lou Malnatis
Boilermaker Rick wrote:
shakes didn't debunk anything about his teammates. As of now, Duke is projected to have 3 top 10 picks including Zion. Marques Bolden was the #1 center in his class and 14 overall. Tre Jones was the #3 pg in his class and 15 overall. Javin DeLaurier, who is a role player, was the 11th best pf and 39th overall. Duke is an all star team.

His teammates don't fit his game at all. It's been a major talking point since the UCF game if you hadn't noticed.

https://www.theringer.com/march-madness ... -blueprint

Anyway, I think the rest of your post is mostly nonsense and I think you know it is. Usage rate didn't "all of a sudden" come into play. It was such a given when comparing all time great players that it shouldn't have been needed to be said. But then Obtuse Rick comes in with a fuckin' Steve Scheffler comp and the obvious needs to be pointed out :lol:

To rock my soul

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2019 11:29 am 

PSA for the Board: This is how you argue with and defeat Brick. Teamwork. You do your work, make your points and then you tag out for the next guy. Only way to defeat the marathoner.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2019 11:30 am 

pizza_Place: Lina's Pizza
Way too early in the day to declare victory.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2019 11:33 am 

pizza_Place: Pizza Cucina
Yeah, way too early.

You either decide your goal is to beat Rick with logic and good arguments and declare your own personal "W" when you believe you have won, or you decide you're going to beat him in a marathon and buy a whole lot of cocaine.

Your call.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2019 11:36 am 

FavreFan wrote:
His teammates don't fit his game at all. It's been a major talking point since the UCF game if you hadn't noticed.

Duke is not a perfect team. They have flaws. Take Zion off Duke and tell me how many teams are clearly more talented.

FavreFan wrote:
Anyway, I think the rest of your post is mostly nonsense and I think you know it is. Usage rate didn't "all of a sudden" come into play. It was such a given when comparing all time great players that it shouldn't have been needed to be said. But then Obtuse Rick comes in with a fuckin' Steve Scheffler comp and the obvious needs to be pointed out :lol:
This is unfair. shakes made an argument only citing ts% and efg%. That was his argument. I responded to the flaw in only using those two statistics and you are acting like I made the case that those two statistics alone don't tell the whole story using examples.

As I said, I'm all for counting everything and I'll take the sophomore season of Big Dog over the freshman season of Zion by a good margin. Zion is still great though. He just didn't put up as good of a season as any college basketball player in history.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2019 11:39 am 

shakes wrote:
PSA for the Board: This is how you argue with and defeat Brick. Teamwork. You do your work, make your points and then you tag out for the next guy. Only way to defeat the marathoner.

Do me a favor. I want to make sure you are capable. Can you reply to this post by just typing out the words "Doug McDermott". You don't have to say anything else. I'm just thinking you may be physically incapable of doing it.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2019 11:45 am 

Boilermaker Rick wrote:
FavreFan wrote:

Duke is not a perfect team. They have flaws. Take Zion off Duke and tell me how many teams are clearly more talented.

Several teams would still be more talented considering Duke didn't even separate themselves from the pack WITH Zion. And again, ignoring that his "all star" teammates don't provide him any spacing is a bad way to go about things. It's pretty clear from watching the games the players don't fit together quite right. It's similar to how Ben Simmons numbers explode when Embiid doesn't play. Same thing would happen to Zion if you surrounded him with shooters and/or he had other less ball dominant players to share the court with.

Quote:
FavreFan wrote:
This is unfair. shakes made an argument only citing ts% and efg%. That was his argument. I responded to the flaw in only using those two statistics and you are acting like I made the case that those two statistics alone don't tell the whole story using examples.

As I said, I'm all for counting everything and I'll take the sophomore season of Big Dog over the freshman season of Zion by a good margin. Zion is still great though. He just didn't put up as good of a season as any college basketball player in history.

It's not unfair at all. As I said, it's a given that high usage rate is a necessity when talking about the best players ever. Not sure how else to explain that or make it more clear.

Agree to disagree if you think all available data points to Big Dog having a better sophomore season than Zion's one season "by a good margin". It makes me question if you know how to interpret the data available and how important efficiency and defense are.

To rock my soul

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2019 11:57 am 

FavreFan wrote:
Several teams would still be more talented considering Duke didn't even separate themselves from the pack WITH Zion. And again, ignoring that his "all star" teammates don't provide him any spacing is a bad way to go about things. It's pretty clear from watching the games the players don't fit together quite right. It's similar to how Ben Simmons numbers explode when Embiid doesn't play. Same thing would happen to Zion if you surrounded him with shooters and/or he had other less ball dominant players to share the court with.
What are those several teams? Duke was the #1 overall seed. They are the overwhelming favorite to win it all for a tournament where you lose once and you are done.

Though, now it seems like you are arguing that playing with those same players that aren't that good are HURTING his numbers.
FavreFan wrote:
It's not unfair at all. As I said, it's a given that high usage rate is a necessity when talking about the best players ever. Not sure how else to explain that or make it more clear.
Well then, I guess it's a good thing I wasn't arguing that Tacko Fall or Steve Scheffler are among the best players ever then.

FavreFan wrote:
Agree to disagree if you think all available data points to Big Dog having a better sophomore season than Zion's one season "by a good margin". It makes me question if you know how to interpret the data available and how important efficiency and defense are.
Once again, I'm more than willing to hear a complete argument that doesn't put Big Dog's sophomore year ahead of Zion. shakes has already tapped out with pointing out two statistics that are pretty close to the same thing anyways.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2019 12:05 pm 

Terry's Peeps wrote:

dude, every basketball post you have on this site is on the wrong side of history. Your opinion doesn't mean shit and in fact, usually means the opposite.

#VICTORYLAP

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2019 12:05 pm 

Boilermaker Rick wrote:
[
FavreFan wrote:
Once again, I'm more than willing to hear a complete argument that doesn't put Big Dog's sophomore year ahead of Zion. shakes has already tapped out with pointing out two statistics that are pretty close to the same thing anyways.

He was more dominant in several categories. We covered efficiency, SPG, and BPG, which already covers a lot of ground. Zion has a better Ast/TO ratio, suggesting better playmaking ability. We also need to keep in mind that Big Dog played 5 more MPG, which is significant. That skews all the Per Game numbers we are posting towards Zion. I'm assuming you understand why.

We don't have advanced metrics from 1994 unfortunately, but Zion is off the fucking charts on his advanced metrics. They would have blown whatever Big Dog did out of the water. Here's a small sample of Zion's advanced metrics:

WS/48: .346, Current NBA Leader: Giannis at .290
PER: 41.0, Current NBA Leader: Giannis 30.5
BPM: 20.3, Current NBA Leader: Harden, 11.2

Statistically, there isn't much of a case that Big Dog's sophomore season was better than Zion's by a good margin. Indeed, the opposite is true when looking at all the available data.

To rock my soul

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2019 12:07 pm 

shakes wrote:
#VICTORYLAP

Yup. This one's over.

To rock my soul

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2019 12:13 pm 

FavreFan wrote:
shakes wrote:
#VICTORYLAP

Yup. This one's over.

happy to share it with you. I carried the ball into enemy territory and then you took over and high stepped your way to the end zone untouched.

#TEAMWEED

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2019 12:15 pm 

shakes wrote:
Terry's Peeps wrote:

dude, every basketball post you have on this site is on the wrong side of history. Your opinion doesn't mean shit and in fact, usually means the opposite.

#VICTORYLAP

:lol:

shakes is the (((best))).

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2019 12:32 pm 

FavreFan wrote:
He was more dominant in several categories. We covered efficiency, SPG, and BPG, which already covers a lot of ground. Zion has a better Ast/TO ratio, suggesting better playmaking ability. We also need to keep in mind that Big Dog played 5 more MPG, which is significant. That skews all the Per Game numbers we are posting towards Zion. I'm assuming you understand why.
I don't think the mpg argument helps you. If his teammates aren't as great as I think they are why isn't he playing more? I understand one game he only played 1 minute before his shoe broke but that doesn't account for the entire difference there. Also, playing a huge minute load can almost give you an advantage in the per 40 minute stats too.

FavreFan wrote:
We don't have advanced metrics from 1994 unfortunately, but Zion is off the fucking charts on his advanced metrics. They would have blown whatever Big Dog did out of the water. Here's a small sample of Zion's advanced metrics:

Well yeah, Zion only shoots 13 times a game. He's going to have some pretty great advanced stats. RJ Barrett shoots far more than Zion. You'd think the greatest college player of all time, playing with a flawed team like he has, would get the most shots on the team.

FavreFan wrote:
Statistically, there isn't much of a case that Big Dog's sophomore season was better than Zion's by a good margin. Indeed, the opposite is true when looking at all the available data.
Zion was far more efficient, but we don't set the GOAT discussion at the most efficient, or our guy MJ is going to struggle too.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2019 12:41 pm 

pizza_Place: Lina's Pizza
shakes wrote:
Terry's Peeps wrote:

#VICTORYLAP

Oh well then carry on.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2019 12:50 pm 

Boilermaker Rick wrote:
FavreFan wrote:
I don't think the mpg argument helps you. If his teammates aren't as great as I think they are why isn't he playing more? I understand one game he only played 1 minute before his shoe broke but that doesn't account for the entire difference there. Also, playing a huge minute load can almost give you an advantage in the per 40 minute stats too.

Your last sentence is wrong here. As for the rest, you kind of answered your own question. Very good team where he's not asked to do as much.

FavreFan wrote:

Well yeah, Zion only shoots 13 times a game. He's going to have some pretty great advanced stats. RJ Barrett shoots far more than Zion. You'd think the greatest college player of all time, playing with a flawed team like he has, would get the most shots on the team.
That's an indictment of Barrett and Coach K, not Zion. Nothing you wrote here rebutted Zion being better than Big Dog. You're also mistaken if you think the advanced stats I posted simply revolve around FG% :lol:

FavreFan wrote:
Zion was far more efficient, but we don't set the GOAT discussion at the most efficient, or our guy MJ is going to struggle too.

He was more efficient and flat out more dominant in pretty much EVERY SINGLE CATEGORY except for total ppg and rpg.

You simply have no argument that Big Dog was better and this was probably the weakest "rebuttal" I've ever seen you type out. You basically just said "Yeah, but" to everything.

Take the L my friend. You're getting worse at this the further it goes.

To rock my soul

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2019 1:18 pm 

FavreFan wrote:
He was more efficient and flat out more dominant in pretty much EVERY SINGLE CATEGORY except for total ppg and rpg.
Flat out more dominant? You have a low bar for dominance. This is becoming like the Jordan vs. Lebron debate. I mean, we are talking about a 2.1 vs 1.9 assists number being dominant for a guy who shot 9 more times a game.

Zion does have the secondary statistics advantage though.

FavreFan wrote:
You simply have no argument that Big Dog was better and this was probably the weakest "rebuttal" I've ever seen you type out. You basically just said "Yeah, but" to everything.

Half of your argument is "I WON!" so I won't exactly take this part seriously.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2019 1:24 pm 

Boilermaker Rick wrote:
FavreFan wrote:
Flat out more dominant? You have a low bar for dominance. This is becoming like the Jordan vs. Lebron debate. I mean, we are talking about a 2.1 vs 1.9 assists number being dominant for a guy who shot 9 more times a game.

FavreFan wrote:

Yes, when a player is beating another player in every single category except two, and those two are easily explained away by circumstance, that’s definitely and definitively more dominant.

Your last part is bullshit obviously since I explained my entire thought process and you replied “yeah, but” to every part without every showing how I was wrong.

To rock my soul

Last edited by FavreFan on Wed Mar 27, 2019 1:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2019 1:25 pm 

I don't know if you added the blue afterwards or not but I didn't see them initially.
FavreFan wrote:
Your last sentence is wrong here. As for the rest, you kind of answered your own question. Very good team where he's not asked to do as much.
The back and forth here is amazing. You argued early that it was a flawed team. Now it's so good that it doesn't even have to rely on the best college basketball player ever?
FavreFan wrote:
That's an indictment of Barrett and Coach K, not Zion. Nothing you wrote here rebutted Zion being better than Big Dog. You're also mistaken if you think the advanced stats I posted simply revolve around FG% :lol:
The point is that when you aren't even the first offensive option on your own team you are going to be far more efficient than a guy who was carrying the load for the whole team on offense. Do you really think Zion would be as efficient as he is if he was shooting 9 more times a game?

This gets me back to the fact that Zion plays with an all star team. In college, where the talent is far more spread out, having 3 top ten draft picks in the next draft puts you at a huge advantage. Most of the players he plays with will be on NBA teams at some point.

Zion could have played for any team in the country. He doesn't get a pass for choosing to play for Coach K and with Barrett. But even if he did, it also helps explains why he has a historically great efficiency level on offense. He's not even the #1 option!

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2019 1:26 pm 

FavreFan wrote:
Boilermaker Rick wrote:
FavreFan wrote:

FavreFan wrote:

Yes, when a player is beating another player in every single category except those, and those two are easily explained away by circumstance, that’s definitely and definitively more dominant.

Your last part is bullshit obviously since I explained my entire thought process and you replied “yeah, but” to every part without every showing how I was wrong.

You are embarrassing yourself. You should quit now.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2019 1:26 pm 

pizza_Place: Jimmy's Place
We need to stop this fight before BRick does some permanent damage to these guys.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2019 1:27 pm 

Boilermaker Rick wrote:
I don't know if you added the blue afterwards or not but I didn't see them initially.
FavreFan wrote:
The back and forth here is amazing. You argued early that it was a flawed team. Now it's so good that it doesn't even have to rely on the best college basketball player ever?

If you need an explanation for how ball dominant non shooters and floor spacing shooters affect a guy like Zion differently, just ask and I'll help you out. If you do understand the difference, you know this is a comically bad response :lol:

To rock my soul

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2019 1:27 pm 

Hatchetman wrote:
We need to stop this fight before BRick does some permanent damage to these guys.

I'm beginning to think Seacrest was right about you

To rock my soul

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2019 1:34 pm 

Boilermaker Rick wrote:

uhm, MJ is the league's all time leader in PER and he's 5th in TS% His EFG% is 51% which is near the top when compared to other guards with similar usage. The struggle is not real.

sorry FF, didn't mean to jump in, but this statement was too stupid to go unchecked.

#DOUGIEMCBUCKETS

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2019 1:35 pm 

FavreFan wrote:
If you need an explanation for how ball dominant non shooters and floor spacing shooters affect a guy like Zion differently, just ask and I'll help you out. If you do understand the difference, you know this is a comically bad response :lol:
Just stop. I can break down the flaws of Duke better than you. In fact, some of them are because of Zion himself who is still limited in certain aspects.

What your problem is you are arguing that his team isn't a team of all stars while also arguing that one of the most successful coaches of all time is letting a player who isn't Zion shoot far more than him and build an offense around him but Zion, who isn't the #1 option on offense is having the best college basketball season of all time.

I regret not making this statement before when you started talking about usage rates. You can't be the best college basketball player of all time if you aren't even the #1 option on offense on your own team.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2019 1:37 pm 

pizza_Place: What??
Bird was the best player I ever saw. Melo 2nd. Kareem was before my time but what the 3 had in common was the unstoppability. Guys should put away the stats. The thread asks who was the best you've ever SEEN.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2019 1:40 pm 

shakes wrote:
Boilermaker Rick wrote:

uhm, MJ is the league's all time leader in PER and he's 5th in TS% His EFG% is 51% which is near the top when compared to other guards with similar usage. The struggle is not real.

sorry FF, didn't mean to jump in, but this statement was too stupid to go unchecked.

#DOUGIEMCBUCKETS

https://www.basketball-reference.com/leaders/ts_pct_career.html
https://www.basketball-reference.com/leaders/efg_pct_career.html

Jordan is great with PER, but PER was also basically created for MJ.

Last edited by Brick on Wed Mar 27, 2019 1:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2019 1:42 pm 

Oh, snap. Love me some MJ, but Rick is 100% correct there. Careful, Rick, or you'll be called a Lebron-loving Communist.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 186 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next