It is currently Tue Apr 30, 2024 8:36 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Nov 12, 2019 1:38 pm 

pittmike wrote:
wdelaney72 wrote:
While I completely agree the current model is unacceptable....I cannot imagine any way the NCAA can manage this without creating a mess.

This is really where I side if I had to choose. I can't see how they can possibly cover the wide array of players that are the NCAA with any sort of fairness etc. And without that you just inserted another level from which the same dirty stuff can be launched.
My opinion would be that if someone wants to give someone $1 million dollars to show up at their birthday party and they just so happen to be a big Alabama fan than Alabama deserves that player.

If it is money coming from the school then it needs to have some sort of limit on it to keep things equal between teams. It's not like a bunch of Bulls fans got together to give LeBron James $10 million to eat some tacos with him if he came to the Bulls. I think it's not going to be a huge amount of money to anyone but maybe the Johnny Football types.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 12, 2019 1:38 pm 

pizza_Place: John's
pittmike wrote:
wdelaney72 wrote:
While I completely agree the current model is unacceptable....I cannot imagine any way the NCAA can manage this without creating a mess.

This is really where I side if I had to choose. I can't see how they can possibly cover the wide array of players that are the NCAA with any sort of fairness etc. And without that you just inserted another level from which the same dirty stuff can be launched.

What is your guy's definition of "mess"

PostPosted: Tue Nov 12, 2019 2:13 pm 
Site Admin

pizza_Place: Aurelio's
Boilermaker Rick wrote:
If it is money coming from the school then it needs to have some sort of limit on it to keep things equal between teams.

But what does "from the school" mean? Obviously Alabama is always going to have more boosters than Illinois or Purdue. It's not equal right now when it's illegal. The worst it could be by legalizing it is still unequal. But like I said in my previous post, there could be some limits with the enforcement just more strict than it is now. For example, you get $10 million to pay your players. You get caught giving guys more and you get a five year death penalty- no football. That ought to take care of that.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 12, 2019 2:16 pm 

pizza_Place: giordanos
Boilermaker Rick wrote:
pittmike wrote:
wdelaney72 wrote:

My opinion would be that if someone wants to give someone $1 million dollars to show up at their birthday party and they just so happen to be a big Alabama fan than Alabama deserves that player.

If it is money coming from the school then it needs to have some sort of limit on it to keep things equal between teams. It's not like a bunch of Bulls fans got together to give LeBron James $10 million to eat some tacos with him if he came to the Bulls. I think it's not going to be a huge amount of money to anyone but maybe the Johnny Football types.

Okay I follow. I was more wondering how the schools paying out themselves might cause a mess where a large majority of it simply goes away. You said you are okay with that and I probably don't care that much really. There are sports players that are not johnny football types that know they have no chance at the pros and really need a scholarship. Some of them even at bog schools really take that seriously and care a lot.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 12, 2019 2:18 pm 

Caller Bob wrote:
pittmike wrote:
wdelaney72 wrote:

See my response to Brick. There are a lot more things involved when you start changing the system.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 12, 2019 2:20 pm 

pizza_Place: Q's Hillside
shakes wrote:
Regular Reader wrote:
Last week the NCAA suspended the likely top picks in next year's NBA and NFL drafts. The idiots are overtly trying to kill big time college sports themselves. And over relatively minor amounts to boot.

Don't follow football, but Wiseman deserved to be suspended for violating what is essentially the numero uno rule of college sports.

I do like the idea that Memphis knows that they're going to end up getting everything vacated on them, but they're going to play the kid anyway and just take their chances and make their fans happy.

Penny Hardaway doesn't give two fucks about the NCAA, and he has a university president who agrees with him. They're going for Curt Flood / Spencer Heywood status.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 12, 2019 2:20 pm 

pittmike wrote:
Caller Bob wrote:
pittmike wrote:
wdelaney72 wrote:

See my response to Brick. There are a lot more things involved when you start changing the system.

Under this mentality, slavery would have never been abolished. It stinks but "can't upset the apple cart".

PostPosted: Tue Nov 12, 2019 2:24 pm 

Caller Bob wrote:
pittmike wrote:
Caller Bob wrote:
pittmike wrote:
wdelaney72 wrote:

Under this mentality, slavery would have never been abolished. It stinks but "can't upset the apple cart".

That is pretty ridiculous for you to infer that from anything I have written. If you think changing the NCAA system is as simple and push button A and B and will have the certain result of C I can't help you.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 12, 2019 2:26 pm 

pizza_Place: Il Forno in Deerfield!
Chet Coppock's Fur Coat wrote:
shakes wrote:
Regular Reader wrote:
Last week the NCAA suspended the likely top picks in next year's NBA and NFL drafts. The idiots are overtly trying to kill big time college sports themselves. And over relatively minor amounts to boot.

Don't follow football, but Wiseman deserved to be suspended for violating what is essentially the numero uno rule of college sports.

I do like the idea that Memphis knows that they're going to end up getting everything vacated on them, but they're going to play the kid anyway and just take their chances and make their fans happy.

Penny Hardaway doesn't give two fucks about the NCAA, and he has a university president who agrees with him. They're going for Curt Flood / Spencer Heywood status.

Of course the University supports the coach who donates over a million dollars to the program.

But I do agree that they might as well play him as long as they can. If you did the crime and are gonna get nailed the wall for it anyway, you might as well try and enjoy some fruits from it while you can.

Memphis plays at Oregon tonight, that could be Wiseman's only game all season vs a good team. I'm definitely gonna be watching.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 12, 2019 2:28 pm 

pittmike wrote:
Caller Bob wrote:
pittmike wrote:
Caller Bob wrote:
pittmike wrote:
wdelaney72 wrote:

That is pretty ridiculous for you to infer that from anything I have written. If you think changing the NCAA system is as simple and push button A and B and will have the certain result of C I can't help you.

It's revenue distribution to the underserved. I'm not sure why this makes you uncomfortable.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 12, 2019 2:29 pm 

pizza_Place: Il Forno in Deerfield!
Boilermaker Rick wrote:

you're trolling, right Brick? You're too smart to think something this blatantly stupid.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 12, 2019 2:29 pm 

Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
Boilermaker Rick wrote:
If it is money coming from the school then it needs to have some sort of limit on it to keep things equal between teams.

But what does "from the school" mean? Obviously Alabama is always going to have more boosters than Illinois or Purdue. It's not equal right now when it's illegal. The worst it could be by legalizing it is still unequal. But like I said in my previous post, there could be some limits with the enforcement just more strict than it is now. For example, you get $10 million to pay your players. You get caught giving guys more and you get a five year death penalty- no football. That ought to take care of that.
It's two separate discussions. There is the money that comes from the school which basically means whatever checks they write to the players and how they pay it. It comes from ticket sales, tv contracts, merchandise sales, and it could be from donors. That should be uniform across the board at least for the big conferences.

However, you can't really stop, and probably shouldn't stop, a big time booster from paying someone $1 million to come to their birthday party if they really want to. It does put in a fair amount of imbalance if we assume that places like Alabama and OSU have boosters who are far more invested in the program than places like Illinois or Purdue but those players are already choosing Alabama and OSU in huge numbers and it is unlikely that boosters are going to be contributing huge money to all 25 recruits in every class.

Also, if the schools do provide some money from the contracts, it makes it less likely that a booster giving $10k will make a big difference to a recruit. They'll go to the place with the best chance to succeed like they do now. It may be Alabama still. It may be being an immediate starter at Illinois rather than sitting the bench and playing special teams at Alabama for 2 years.

College sports are basically built on inequality between schools. OSU and Alabama operate under a different structure than Illinois and Purdue and it creates a gap in terms of recruiting that is virtually impossible to make up. Illinois and Purdue do the same to NIU and Ball State. NIU and Ball State do it to whoever is below them. It's not an even playing field now and this probably just keeps that going.

If the cable bubble fully knocks out the big tv contracts then we have a different discussion but that's probably true regardless.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 12, 2019 2:32 pm 

Caller Bob wrote:
It's revenue distribution to the underserved. I'm not sure why this makes you uncomfortable.

:lol:
pittmike wrote:
I probably don't care that much really.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 12, 2019 2:34 pm 

shakes wrote:
Boilermaker Rick wrote:

you're trolling, right Brick? You're too smart to think something this blatantly stupid.
Why does Alabama get players now? It's because they spend more money than most on coaches, facilities, and other things. What is the difference about some booster doing the same but direct assuming it was done legally?

PostPosted: Tue Nov 12, 2019 2:35 pm 

For some here, this is clearly about keeping the "black man" in his place and poor throughout his college years.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 12, 2019 2:47 pm 

Boilermaker Rick wrote:
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
Boilermaker Rick wrote:

It's two separate discussions. There is the money that comes from the school which basically means whatever checks they write to the players and how they pay it. It comes from ticket sales, tv contracts, merchandise sales, and it could be from donors. That should be uniform across the board at least for the big conferences.

However, you can't really stop, and probably shouldn't stop, a big time booster from paying someone $1 million to come to their birthday party if they really want to. It does put in a fair amount of imbalance if we assume that places like Alabama and OSU have boosters who are far more invested in the program than places like Illinois or Purdue but those players are already choosing Alabama and OSU in huge numbers and it is unlikely that boosters are going to be contributing huge money to all 25 recruits in every class.

Also, if the schools do provide some money from the contracts, it makes it less likely that a booster giving $10k will make a big difference to a recruit. They'll go to the place with the best chance to succeed like they do now. It may be Alabama still. It may be being an immediate starter at Illinois rather than sitting the bench and playing special teams at Alabama for 2 years.

College sports are basically built on inequality between schools. OSU and Alabama operate under a different structure than Illinois and Purdue and it creates a gap in terms of recruiting that is virtually impossible to make up. Illinois and Purdue do the same to NIU and Ball State. NIU and Ball State do it to whoever is below them. It's not an even playing field now and this probably just keeps that going.

If the cable bubble fully knocks out the big tv contracts then we have a different discussion but that's probably true regardless.

Not true. Illinois and even Purdue have boosters willing to pay dollar in order to bring in recruits. The NCAA will not look the other way when they get caught doing it however.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 12, 2019 3:00 pm 

pizza_Place: Q's Hillside
Deon Thomas wrote:
Bruce Pearl can go fuck himself. That was a sweet Blazer for the era.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 12, 2019 3:01 pm 

long time guy wrote:
Not true. Illinois and even Purdue have boosters willing to pay dollar in order to bring in recruits. The NCAA will not look the other way when they get caught doing it however.
What point are you making here?

PostPosted: Tue Nov 12, 2019 3:27 pm 

pizza_Place: 1. Aurelio's 2. Pizano's
Caller Bob wrote:
pittmike wrote:
Caller Bob wrote:
pittmike wrote:
wdelaney72 wrote:

That's not what I'm saying at all. The only thing they can do is just let the market pay the player and stay the fuck out of it. There isn't a chance in hell the NCAA is going to do that. They will meddle....they will find a way to make this an overcomplicated disaster.

2. Proper response would be to ask an endless series of follow ups until the person regrets having spoken to you in the first place.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 12, 2019 3:33 pm 

I'm excited for the first time a booster pays a player more than their lottery slot to stay in school.

Yes it is.

CDOM wrote:
When this is all over, which is not going to be for a while, Trump will be re-elected President.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 12, 2019 3:37 pm 

pizza_Place: Salerno's
shakes wrote:

But I do agree that they might as well play him as long as they can. If you did the crime and are gonna get nailed the wall for it anyway, you might as well try and enjoy some fruits from it while you can.

It's Memphis, having wins vacated due to recruiting violations is a tradition, like any other:

PostPosted: Tue Nov 12, 2019 5:07 pm 

Boilermaker Rick wrote:
long time guy wrote:

Illinois' problem isn't that they lack the money to pay for top recruits. Their problem is that once they begin to do it at the level which allows them to be a national power the NCAA investigators will come a sniffing. Immediate red flags will be raised the second they bring in a top recruiting class. When it happens at Alabama and Ohio State it is expected. When it happens at Illinois someone will automatically assume that the recruit was paid off. At the Ohio States and Alabamas of the world everyone knows that this sort of thing is happening but it is rationalized as accepted practice. Saban will be hailed as a recruiting genius (even though all he is doing is paying a tad more than the other coaches) while the guy at Illinois will be ridiculed as a scumbag.

I hope that I explained it in language that you can comprehend and understand.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 12, 2019 5:46 pm 

long time guy wrote:
Boilermaker Rick wrote:
long time guy wrote:

Illinois' problem isn't that they lack the money to pay for top recruits. Their problem is that once they begin to do it at the level which allows them to be a national power the NCAA investigators will come a sniffing. Immediate red flags will be raised the second they bring in a top recruiting class. When it happens at Alabama and Ohio State it is expected. When it happens at Illinois someone will automatically assume that the recruit was paid off. At the Ohio States and Alabamas of the world everyone knows that this sort of thing is happening but it is rationalized as accepted practice. Saban will be hailed as a recruiting genius (even though all he is doing is paying a tad more than the other coaches) while the guy at Illinois will be ridiculed as a scumbag.

So it had nothing to do with my post. Thanks.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 12, 2019 6:02 pm 

Boilermaker Rick wrote:
long time guy wrote:
Boilermaker Rick wrote:
long time guy wrote:

So it had nothing to do with my post. Thanks.

It actually did. Hopefully you are able to comprehend your own words.

Boilermaker Rick wrote:
But what does "from the school" mean? Obviously Alabama is always going to have more boosters than Illinois or Purdue.

Illinois's problem isn't that they lack people willing to "invest" in the program. Illinois' problem is that increased investment brings increased scrutiny from the NCAA.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 12, 2019 6:06 pm 

So your point is what? Purdue and Illinois are going to pay as much as Alabama and OSU?

PostPosted: Tue Nov 12, 2019 6:12 pm 

Boilermaker Rick wrote:
So your point is what? Purdue and Illinois are going to pay as much as Alabama and OSU?

Yeah. They have wealthy alums that are willing to contribute to their sports programs too.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 12, 2019 6:13 pm 

long time guy wrote:
Boilermaker Rick wrote:

Yeah. They have wealthy alums that are willing to contribute to their sports programs too.

They have some for sure. OSU and Alabama have a lot more.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 12, 2019 8:48 pm 

shakes wrote:
Regular Reader wrote:

I'm not really in depth on this, but the NCAA cleared him in May and none of this was exactly uncommon knowledge.