It is currently Tue Apr 30, 2024 9:00 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2019 1:41 pm 

https://edition.cnn.com/2019/05/15/sport/ncaa-working-group-to-examine-name-image-and-likeness-spt-intl/index.html

This is long overdue and an easy solution with minimal cost to the schools.

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2019 1:53 pm 

pizza_Place: pizza and subs
lip service imo

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2019 2:02 pm 

pizza_Place: giordanos
Well it would be limited to athletes that have images that actually money I assume. On the other hand it would be strange that somehow every Saban athlete got a face pic endorsement for Win Dixie.

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2019 2:03 pm 

pittmike wrote:
Well it would be limited to athletes that have images that actually money I assume. On the other hand it would be strange that somehow every Saban athlete got a face pic endorsement for Win Dixie.

What are you talking about?

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2019 2:05 pm 

Boilermaker Rick wrote:
pittmike wrote:

The first part of the article that I scanned said an athlete can make money on their likeness. My own assumption is it is aimed toward the video game stuff with Grand Ma Ma on the cover long ago. My sarcasm thought it funny that all the Saban players and water boys getting deals would occur.

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2019 2:07 pm 

pittmike wrote:
Boilermaker Rick wrote:
pittmike wrote:

The first part of the article that I scanned said an athlete can make money on their likeness. My own assumption is it is aimed toward the video game stuff with Grand Ma Ma on the cover long ago. My sarcasm thought it funny that all the Saban players and water boys getting deals would occur.
I think it's more than just endorsements. It would allow them to sell autographed pictures and do Happy Birthday videos like Bernstein does.

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2019 7:34 pm 

Boilermaker Rick wrote:
pittmike wrote:
Boilermaker Rick wrote:
pittmike wrote:

I think it's more than just endorsements. It would allow them to sell autographed pictures and do Happy Birthday videos like Bernstein does.

Don’t get me wrong BRick, I’m for the athletes getting paid, but this rule just allows boosters to buy players.

Lovie Smith mentions to Dr. Ken that a certain recruit would help the U of I, and next thing you know Dr. Ken is paying the kid 50k for a birthday video.

Again, I am fine with the players getting their cut, but this proposal is just a seive for boosters to pay players.

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2019 7:42 pm 

One Post wrote:
Boilermaker Rick wrote:
pittmike wrote:
Boilermaker Rick wrote:
pittmike wrote:

Don’t get me wrong BRick, I’m for the athletes getting paid, but this rule just allows boosters to buy players.

Lovie Smith mentions to Dr. Ken that a certain recruit would help the U of I, and next thing you know Dr. Ken is paying the kid 50k for a birthday video.

Again, I am fine with the players getting their cut, but this proposal is just a seive for boosters to pay players.

Sure. That's part of it. It isn't a big deal.

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2019 7:56 pm 

Boilermaker Rick wrote:

I will never understand the objections to a common sense solution to a long known problem whose rules enforcement only benefited the NCAA.

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2019 8:11 pm 

Regular Reader wrote:
Boilermaker Rick wrote:

I will never understand the objections to a common sense solution to a long known problem whose rules enforcement only benefited the NCAA.

Paying players a fee or rate is entirely different than opening the pockets of the good ole SEC etc booster wallets.

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2019 8:13 pm 

pittmike wrote:
Regular Reader wrote:
Boilermaker Rick wrote:

Paying players a fee or rate is entirely different than opening the pockets of the good ole SEC etc booster wallets.

Why do you hate the free market?

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2019 9:43 pm 

pittmike wrote:
Regular Reader wrote:
Boilermaker Rick wrote:

Illinois pays, USC pays, Maryland pays, keep believing that most schools across the country don't. Lots of deep pockets everywhere. Or North Dakota and Boise State don't have programs. Good ole boosters are in every conference.

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2019 9:48 am 

Boilermaker Rick wrote:
One Post wrote:
Boilermaker Rick wrote:
pittmike wrote:
Boilermaker Rick wrote:
pittmike wrote:

Sure. That's part of it. It isn't a big deal.

I guess my point would be why have this charade of players getting paid for their "likeness" when they can just throw the doors wide open and let boosters pay players to attend a school?

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2019 10:46 am 

Let the boosters pay them, then tax them. Id go a step further and not even require them to go to class. Treat it like the minor league organizations they are. I know players who went to below average 1-AA schools that were placed in classes like bowling just to keep them eligible for two seasons. Once they had to take a real class they dropped out.

Yes it is.

CDOM wrote:
When this is all over, which is not going to be for a while, Trump will be re-elected President.

PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2019 7:55 am 

conns7901 wrote:
Let the boosters pay them, then tax them. Id go a step further and not even require them to go to class. Treat it like the minor league organizations they are. I know players who went to below average 1-AA schools that were placed in classes like bowling just to keep them eligible for two seasons. Once they had to take a real class they dropped out.

On that end, I would mandate all scholarships extend for six years beyond the date on which players played their last games. Let them take it easy while they are essentially employees of the school. They can then become students when they have both matured and realized that the professional sports dream is over.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 29, 2019 3:54 pm 

All but official that student-athletes can now profit from their likeness.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 29, 2019 4:33 pm 

pizza_Place: Home Run Inn
Boilermaker Rick wrote:

Cool. Now make the NCAA football and basketball games again.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 29, 2019 5:05 pm 

pizza_Place: Lou Malnatis
Damn. I’ll have to buy a PlayStation again if they bring back NCAA Football

To rock my soul

PostPosted: Tue Oct 29, 2019 5:48 pm 

pizza_Place: nick n vito's
good dolphin wrote:
conns7901 wrote:

On that end, I would mandate all scholarships extend for six years beyond the date on which players played their last games. Let them take it easy while they are essentially employees of the school. They can then become students when they have both matured and realized that the professional sports dream is over.

That's actually a good idea, I'd make it 10 years though.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 29, 2019 7:48 pm 

Cant wait until the first 50 million dollar team basketball team. Good for the players.

Yes it is.

CDOM wrote:
When this is all over, which is not going to be for a while, Trump will be re-elected President.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 30, 2019 8:10 am 

Two years too late for the Loyola Ramblers

PostPosted: Tue Nov 12, 2019 10:34 am 

Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
Boilermaker Rick wrote:
It's the similar argument to what the "value" of college players are. They clearly should have the ability to profit from their own likeness but there is a reason that college sports are the only successful level of sports besides the best pro league.

I don't want to get us off topic here, but I think the end of college sports as we have known them is within sight. If the NCAA had been smart they would have addressed the issues when Kain Colter and the boys were trying to unionize. They could have come to some terms that wouldn't have cost a lot and the NCAA and its member universities would have looked benevolent. But they dug in their heels trying to maintain a paradigm that will not stand in the long term.

It's possible, but college sports probably should go away if it requires that players can't even sign autographs for money.

It's going to change things for sure but it will mostly be the same teams that always got the top talent getting them. It makes it nearly impossible to choose a non-P5 team though if you have a choice.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 12, 2019 11:00 am 
Site Admin

pizza_Place: Aurelio's
Boilermaker Rick wrote:
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
Boilermaker Rick wrote:
It's the similar argument to what the "value" of college players are. They clearly should have the ability to profit from their own likeness but there is a reason that college sports are the only successful level of sports besides the best pro league.

I don't want to get us off topic here, but I think the end of college sports as we have known them is within sight. If the NCAA had been smart they would have addressed the issues when Kain Colter and the boys were trying to unionize. They could have come to some terms that wouldn't have cost a lot and the NCAA and its member universities would have looked benevolent. But they dug in their heels trying to maintain a paradigm that will not stand in the long term.

It's possible, but college sports probably should go away if it requires that players can't even sign autographs for money.

It's going to change things for sure but it will mostly be the same teams that always got the top talent getting them. It makes it nearly impossible to choose a non-P5 team though if you have a choice.

Pandora's box has been opened though. The autographs and images are just the start. It's too much to invoke slavery here as some people have, but the fact is that there's an institutional structure that is holding down the true market value of the players. The very best guys being able to get a few bucks for an autograph may hold the inevitable at bay for a little while, but in the long run there are only two paths- 1) to compensate the players fairly or 2) to make the players true student-athletes with no scholarships or any money of any kind, like high school sports.

I think one viable variation of option 1 would be to set an amount that a university could allocate to pay a limited number of players- say 20- in any way they choose. Maybe the number is $10,000,000 and the quarterback gets $2 million of it. On a different team maybe the quarterback gets $1.5 million. Whatever. The university/coaching staff/athletic department could decide which players to allocate the money to. That would also create parity as maybe a top tier recruit chooses to take guaranteed money at a "mid-major" rather than playing for free at Alabama. Of course, you'd really have to crack down on cheating more than they do now.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 12, 2019 11:04 am 

Last week the NCAA suspended the likely top picks in next year's NBA and NFL drafts. The idiots are overtly trying to kill big time college sports themselves. And over relatively minor amounts to boot.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 12, 2019 11:08 am 

Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
Pandora's box has been opened though. The autographs and images are just the start. It's too much to invoke slavery here as some people have, but the fact is that there's an institutional structure that is holding down the true market value of the players. The very best guys being able to get a few bucks for an autograph may hold the inevitable at bay for a little while, but in the long run there are only two paths- 1) to compensate the players fairly or 2) to make the players true student-athletes with no scholarships or any money of any kind, like high school sports.
You may be right but any compensation from the universities would have to have some sort of limits similar to a salary cap at least in conference and likely an agreement between conferences because otherwise you are probably looking at Alabama and OSU splitting the top 50 or so recruits.
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
I think one viable variation of option 1 would be to set an amount that a university could allocate to pay a limited number of players- say 20- in any way they choose. Maybe the number is $10,000,000 and the quarterback gets $2 million of it. On a different team maybe the quarterback gets $1.5 million. Whatever. The university/coaching staff/athletic department could decide which players to allocate the money to. That would also create parity as maybe a top tier recruit chooses to take guaranteed money at a "mid-major" rather than playing for free at Alabama. Of course, you'd really have to crack down on cheating more than they do now.
I think it's going to be really hard to do pretty much any of those changes without a players union. I honestly don't know what happens but I've come to grips with the idea that if college sports can't survive with the players getting compensated then that is ok.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 12, 2019 12:00 pm 

pizza_Place: Salerno's
crap deal for the college athletes. they're gonna go from making bank tax-free to having a salary cap and getting taxed on the comp + break off a cut for agents etc.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 12, 2019 12:37 pm 

pizza_Place: Il Forno in Deerfield!
Boilermaker Rick wrote:

all 7 of them who would actually make some money!

PostPosted: Tue Nov 12, 2019 12:39 pm 

pizza_Place: Il Forno in Deerfield!
Regular Reader wrote:
Last week the NCAA suspended the likely top picks in next year's NBA and NFL drafts. The idiots are overtly trying to kill big time college sports themselves. And over relatively minor amounts to boot.

Don't follow football, but Wiseman deserved to be suspended for violating what is essentially the numero uno rule of college sports.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 12, 2019 1:12 pm 

pizza_Place: 1. Aurelio's 2. Pizano's
While I completely agree the current model is unacceptable....I cannot imagine any way the NCAA can manage this without creating a mess.

2. Proper response would be to ask an endless series of follow ups until the person regrets having spoken to you in the first place.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 12, 2019 1:34 pm 

wdelaney72 wrote:
While I completely agree the current model is unacceptable....I cannot imagine any way the NCAA can manage this without creating a mess.

This is really where I side if I had to choose. I can't see how they can possibly cover the wide array of players that are the NCAA with any sort of fairness etc. And without that you just inserted another level from which the same dirty stuff can be launched.