It is currently Tue Apr 30, 2024 2:05 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Khalil Whitney
PostPosted: Fri Jan 24, 2020 4:43 pm 

Boilermaker Rick wrote:
long time guy wrote:
I doubt he makes the move if didn't already know that he could be playing in the spring of 2021 at the latest. IF he has to wait til 2021 then he might as well have finished the season with Kentucky.
It does make a chance of a waiver more likely to do it now. There is no way he can know he can play in spring of 2021. If he wanted to know that then he had to do it in December.

long time guy wrote:
It makes no sense to transfer and sit out a year and a half.
His goal is the NBA draft. This gives him more time to see if he can find a way to get drafted. Kentucky was barely playing him. It was hurting his draft stock to stay there.

you keep talking about a waiver. Waiver may not have anything to do with this. That may not be the only way he becomes eligible 2nd Semester.

Transferring in Dec has no bearing on it either. He could have transferred in Jan and it still would have been fine as long as the 2nd Semester had not started. That is why 2 ACADEMIC SEMESTERS are important. As long as you sit out 2 Semesters or 3 Tris depending on what the school calendar is then you are fine. You can become eligible anytime after sitting out 2 semesters or 3 Tri semesters

Last edited by long time guy on Fri Jan 24, 2020 4:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 24, 2020 4:48 pm 

long time guy wrote:
you keep talking about a waiver. Waiver may not have anything to do with this. That may not be the only way he becomes eligible 2nd Semester.
Call it whatever you want, but the NCAA would have to ignore the fact that he played for Kentucky during the second semester. That's just a fact. Maybe they "rule" he didn't actually play for Kentucky during the second semester and therefore he could be somewhere else for the second semester.

To put it another way, if he had transferred the day after the season ended, he couldn't claim he was actually a student at Illinois even if he somehow got enrolled there. The same logic applies now.

The NCAA either needs to ignore their own rules or give him a waiver if he will be eligible in the second semester next year.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 24, 2020 4:52 pm 

Boilermaker Rick wrote:
long time guy wrote:
Call it whatever you want, but the NCAA would have to ignore the fact that he played for Kentucky during the second semester. That's just a fact. Maybe they "rule" he didn't actually play for Kentucky during the second semester and therefore he could be somewhere else for the second semester.

To put it another way, if he had transferred the day after the season ended, he couldn't claim he was actually a student at Illinois even if he somehow got enrolled there. The same logic applies now.

The NCAA either needs to ignore their own rules or give him a waiver if he will be eligible in the second semester next year.

You didn't even know the rule 2 hrs ago now you are certain of what the rule is. We will see what happens but I doubt seriously if this kid sits out til 21-22.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 24, 2020 5:12 pm 

The NCAA gives a lot of waivers. I think there is a decent chance he plays all year next year.

I've still told you the truth on everything else.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 25, 2020 10:20 am 

pizza_Place: Il Forno in Deerfield!
the people at Kentucky couldn't care less about this guy leaving. Apparently he's pretty terrible and couldn't even crack the rotation. Way overrated.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 25, 2020 12:27 pm 

shakes wrote:
the people at Kentucky couldn't care less about this guy leaving. Apparently he's pretty terrible and couldn't even crack the rotation. Way overrated.

Well yeah its sort of why guys transfer in the first place Einstein.

He still would be a helluva get for either DePaul or Illinois.

He was considered a lottery pick 3 months ago. You didn't know anything about him a day ago yet now he is overrated. Ok sure he is.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2020 8:04 pm 

Declared for NBA draft.

Yes it is.

CDOM wrote:
When this is all over, which is not going to be for a while, Trump will be re-elected President.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2020 8:12 pm 

conns7901 wrote:
Declared for NBA draft.

I know his dad fairly well and had heard from a few people that this was the way he was going to go. Don't know if it's a good move. He was a no doubt top 15 pick coming out of high school but isn't now. Haven't looked at any mock drafts lately but last I checked he wasn't projected to be drafted. Hope it works out for him. Going to be tough.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2020 8:28 pm 

long time guy wrote:
conns7901 wrote:
Declared for NBA draft.

I know his dad fairly well and had heard from a few people that this was the way he was going to go. Don't know if it's a good move. He was a no doubt top 15 pick coming out of high school but isn't now. Haven't looked at any mock drafts lately but last I checked he wasn't projected to be drafted. Hope it works out for him. Going to be tough.

I don't know if he really had any other options. Did he finish this semester? Plus he left after he started classes and would have needed a waiver to play right away.

Yes it is.

CDOM wrote:
When this is all over, which is not going to be for a while, Trump will be re-elected President.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2020 8:37 pm 

conns7901 wrote:
long time guy wrote:
conns7901 wrote:
Declared for NBA draft.

I don't know if he really had any other options. Did he finish this semester? Plus he left after he started classes and would have needed a waiver to play right away.

He did initially have eligibility but from what I heard the plan was to go pro from the moment he transferred. Someone told me the other day that he already had an agent and the thinking in their camp is that he killed all of the guys on the AAU circuit that will go high in the draft. Worst case scenario he goes overseas or to the GLeague if he doesn't get drafted. He will be a Professional player even if it's not the NBA but I still think it is a bad move. He obviously was only planning to do 1 year of college regardless of what happened at Kentucky

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2020 8:51 pm 

long time guy wrote:

He did initially have eligibility but from what I heard the plan was to go pro from the moment he transferred. Someone told me the other day that he already had an agent and the thinking in their camp is that he killed all of the guys on the AAU circuit that will go high in the draft. Worst case scenario he goes overseas or to the GLeague if he doesn't get drafted. He will be a Professional player even if it's not the NBA but I still think it is a bad move. He obviously was only planning to do 1 year of college regardless of what happened at Kentucky

I am sure he will be professional somewhere next year. Probably making less than what he got from Kentucky.

This goes beyond just Whitney but what he did in AAU doesn't mean shit at this point. Players get better and worse after high school.

Yes it is.

CDOM wrote:

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2020 11:13 pm 

conns7901 wrote:
long time guy wrote:

I am sure he will be professional somewhere next year. Probably making less than what he got from Kentucky.

This goes beyond just Whitney but what he did in AAU doesn't mean shit at this point. Players get better and worse after high school.

The people in his camp think that it matters. I guess in the decision making process that's all that matters. They are factoring it into the decision is what someone really close to the family has stated. He is banking on there being not a lot of difference in the evaluation of him in 4-5 months.

We will see but I can't see him getting drafted. He definitely is a high upside kid with a ton of athletic gifts so maybe someone will still take a chance on him in the 2nd Rd.